How Comfy Can You Be In Bangkok With 7300 USD A Month Salary (tax Free) With Spouse And 2 Kids ?

Aswin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried sleeping on the streets and living on scraps from rubbish bins lately, but I would imagine it would be quite uncomfortable.

This is a wind up, right........

Aha, slightly different to 7300 bt lol.

As long as you don't go renting some ridiculous penthouse appartment then you should be somewhere between reasonably and very comfy.

I am not sure about your tax free assumption however, if you live here for over 180 days a year then you are liable to pay local tax on any income you bring in to the country from overseas. Might be worth just bringing some of it?

I think that would be about 248210 Baht a month. If exchange rate of 34.

How about it ? Very comfy ? somewhat comfy, so so, not at all comfy ?

Thx.

250.000thousand bath a mnd.Then u r a capitalist :D .You will also b able to safe money.if u want to. :)

Aha, slightly different to 7300 bt lol.

As long as you don't go renting some ridiculous penthouse appartment then you should be somewhere between reasonably and very comfy.

I am not sure about your tax free assumption however, if you live here for over 180 days a year then you are liable to pay local tax on any income you bring in to the country from overseas. Might be worth just bringing some of it?

Thx. If I had to pay tax, my employer would reimburse me for it (tax allowance) but my employer's organization might be exempt there. not sure of details yet but either way that's around what I'll be netting, if I decide to take the job.

decisions, decisions.... its hard when you're a libra.

What's your monthly income at the moment and where are you living???

With your 7300 dollars a month here in Thailand, I would say you can live almost like a king. Bangkok could be expensive however, you must spend some time and get to know the place. Will you have transportation provided (own car, driver, etc) or will you have to rely on public transport?

Also, depends on what comfy level you are at currently.

Touch decision I'm sure. Have you ever been to Bangkok? Thailand? for that matter.

Are you "headhunted" to Thailand.? And that amount,with no tax?!mai koh jai :) And u ask if u can live here to.I dont understand why a man like u with that Salary really have to ask this question,IN Here :D Or at all :D

I applied for a job in Thailand that I'm afraid I might get. I've been short listed, got a leg up on this job cause I'm thai, speak the language. I'm comfy where I am here in the US. I've vacation in Thailand every now and then but last time I really lived there, I was 14, I'm 47 now. If I was single, I'd take this job in a NY minute. But with wife and 2 kids, 6 and 9 yr old. Its a big change. Just want to make sure I'll be trading up not down.

Depends on your lifestyle.  Could be tight if you have a nice place, a couple of staff and a 20K/month electricity bill, and you like to go out a few nights per week. Throw in a car payment of a mid priced saloon of around 40K/month and there's not much savings left.

Ahh, the never ending spiral that is a tax allowance. I had this on a company car in the UK for a major multinational company, and they couldn't get it right, it's quite funny when you analyze it, it does go on ad infinitum as your tax allowance is taxable.

It sounds like a good deal as the tax regime is alot more burdonsome here than many imagine. Your top rate on that salary would be 30%, and when you hit 4m pa it goes up to 37%. The company will be saving you over 60k p/m in tax, although it will cost them alot more than that as per my previous point above.

Asswin,

I disagree with the other posters. I make 25,000 USD per week here in Thailand, I have to live in Bkk also because I was head hunted by the powers to be and let me tell you I often run out of money, despite the fact that a company car and accomodation is thrown in.

Fortunately I also have 24/7 access to the company jet, so when Im out of cash I just hit the skies and fly home to the gold old US of A, where I can get more free Govt handouts.....lifes a biatch when ur a company executive :)

Are you "headhunted" to Thailand.? And that amount,with no tax?!mai koh jai :) And u ask if u can live here to.I dont understand why a man like u with that Salary really have to ask this question,IN Here :D Or at all :D

I applied for a job in Thailand that I'm afraid I might get. I've been short listed, got a leg up on this job cause I'm thai, speak the language. I'm comfy where I am here in the US. I've vacation in Thailand every now and then but last time I really lived there, I was 14, I'm 47 now. If I was single, I'd take this job in a NY minute. But with wife and 2 kids, 6 and 9 yr old. Its a big change. Just want to make sure I'll be trading up not down.

Where are you going to put your kids to school? And who will be paying?

If it's not your future employer, and depending on the school you choose, 30-40% of your revenue is gone already.

What about the wife, she likes shopping? :D ... just kidding.

reasonable expat packages for BKK are 300,000Bt per month +++, especially when kids are included.

+++ = house, car, health insurance, schooling, annual return airfares, professional services (eg. taxation advice)

If both the kids are of school age and you intend on sending them to an International school almost half your money has disappeared already I am afraid so you wont be as comfy as you may think :D ...I know some nice rooms down in Huay Kwang for 2,000 Baht a month if you are interested :)

I make somewhat more here. Wife works too, so here we're two income family. Going to Thailand, we'll be on my salary alone.

I'm not any company executive. no driver, no company car, no moving allowance, no hardship allowance. Just the salary mentioned.

Other benefits include health insurance, 30 days vacation, generous pension plan, etc.

Wife is all for it, she's tired of the pace here. I told wife, I don't think pace of life in Bangkok is considered "slow". But she won't be working so I guess it wouldn't be fast for her. How much for kids to attend good international school ? roughly.

Edited by Aswin

I make somewhat more here. Wife works too, so here we're two income family. Going to Thailand, we'll be on my salary alone.

I'm not any company executive. no driver, no company car, no moving allowance, no hardship allowance. Just the salary mentioned.

Wife is all for it, she's tired of the pace here. I told wife, I don't think pace of life in Bangkok is considered "slow". But she won't be working so I guess it wouldn't be fast for her. How much for kids to attend good international school ? roughly.

I think you can live pretty comfortable on the salary mentioned if you find a reasonably priced International School to send your kids to. I went to ISB(International School of Bangkok) many years ago but my dad's company paid for it. I hear its pretty expensive but I dont know how expensive. I go back to Thailand a few times each year and there are quite a few International Schools available so do your research. Forget about a car. Try and live near a BTS station(Sky Train) its like living near a subway station in the States and you wont need a car. I live in DC and would love to find a job paying that much in Thailand. I would jump on it in a heart beat. Check Craigslist for condo's to rent next to a BTS station to give you an idea. Life is alot easier in Thailand!

Other benefits include health insurance, 30 days vacation, generous pension plan, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd put the education of my kids first of the list: Bangkok has international schools, but the quality of the teaching is way down...when your kids go back to the US, they will be behind their pairs. Don't be surprised to have Int'l schools asking for 100,000 baht up per kid per semester, at least the ones on the higher end.

250k baht in Bangkok, trying to keep a similar lifestyle you are currently having in the US, it could not be enough!

The lack of additional benefits [as you mention] is also a big issue: more fix expenses to dent your salary.

If you look for a break of a couple of years, a new experience for the whole family, ok go for it, but don't expect to find heaven here....

If it were just you and your wife i would say go for it.(unless it were a job in the oil industry)

With kids i would say you need to think about their future.

Don't think education in Thailand is up to the standards of ferang land even in the best international schools.

Are Thai qualifications accepted back in the US, i know Thais with Thai degrees in Europe who are only able to get jobs in supermarkets.

Think about it i would say 7k US is worth about 21k in Thailand but good schools are here very expensive.