Prepare For Salary And Staff Cuts : Thaksin

george

PM tells permanent secretaries to prepare for salary and staff cuts

BANGKOK: -- The government was today poised for sweeping reforms following a recent meeting in which Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra warned the permanent secretaries of all government ministries of impending staff and salary cuts.

Khunying Kasama Worawan Na Ayutthaya, permanent secretary for education, said that the prime minister had set a four-point ‘homework’ plan for all the permanent secretaries.

First, they were ordered to review the structure of their ministry to see which work best belonged with which ministry. Second, they were told to consider revamping organizational structure to maximize efficiency, in particular by making budget and staffing cuts.

Third, they were told to focus on amending working practices to maximize public satisfaction, for instance by offering a one-stop service. And finally, they were asked to make reviews of legislation.

“The prime minister emphasized that we are going through a time of change”, Khunying Kasama said, in reference to the general election earlier this month. “Everyone will be especially tired. The prime minister therefore wants us to think of how to change our vision and working practices, with a core emphasis on the public as service users”.

--TNA 2005-02-23

Bloody tyrant. It is not enough that some goverment servants are slaving because they fear the loss of their jobs now he has to add more misery.

I have friend who complains that she has to drive to meetings at other offices and with the rise in fuel it is costing her an increase in her expenditure which she cannot claim and her department does not have enough transportation to bring them to other offices. Take note that goverment officers are paid peanuts.

Just like any business man he cuts operational cost by reducing manpower and declares growth. Where is the justice in this world of frauds?

This pain in the back is exploiting the goverment servants for the pride they take in working, not all of them though but those who do are suffering.

And they say that they like him hmmmmm

Edited by Dove

Bloody tyrant. It is not enough that some goverment servants are slaving because they fear the loss of their jobs now he has to add more misery.

I have friend who complains that she has to drive to meetings at other offices  and with the rise in fuel it is costing her an increase in her expenditure which she cannot claim and her department does not have enough transportation to bring them to other offices. Take note that goverment officers are paid peanuts.

Just like any business man he cuts operational cost by reducing manpower and declares growth. Where is the justice in this world of frauds?

This pain in the back is exploiting the goverment servants for the pride they take in working, not all of them though but those who do are suffering.

Ys, but there are rather a lot of them.

I went to pay my electricity bill - in the government owned PET offices where I live. There were 18 staff 'working' away behind the public reception counter, with the telly running at full blast, and one person on the paymenrt desk. Then lunchtime struck.

Same at Immigration in Suan Plu. I still don't understand why the work of one clerk has to be 'checked' by another clerk, and then your paperwork sent upstairs for checking again. And, same thing: try doing your 90 day reporting in Suan Plu after 12 noon!

The one stop concept - empowering government employees to do their job, and perform more than one task without the 'customer' being passed on to someone else, and you have the beginnnigs of satisfaction. This is so with many bureaucacies overseas. The work can be done by less than half the current staff, with remuneration being made on a realistic commercial level. Then, your friend might legitimately be paid their travel expenses.

Same with privatisation. Maggie Thatcher made the dreaded electricity clerks work for a public company, with shareholders as their ultimate bosses. In the UK, some even buy shares themselves - and the harder they worked, the bigger their bonuses.

I'm all for reform - if it means I start to get co-operation, and not the run-around!

Khunying Kasama said, in reference to the general election earlier this month. “Everyone will be especially tired. The prime minister therefore wants us to think of how to change our vision and working practices, with a core emphasis on the public as service users”.

Why would government bureaucrats be tired.

Theay should not have done anything in regards to the election.

Employees of the upper or lower level at the Motor Vehicle Department,

Water Department, Power - Electricity Ministry, Railroads, etc.,

should not have been tired from the electuion as it should not have had

anything to do with them unless they were working on the side for their bosses.

got a good friend currently (and already 15 years or so) "working" in Kurusapaa (Ministry of Education). I told her more than 100 times NOT to vote for TRT but she INSISTED to do so as only "him" is the best PM ever on earth (uuuuaaargh!) ... W-T-F I tried to tell her that all those promises and reform programs being a big big joke simply to be re-elected for another 4 years. I wonder WHAT she's going to tell me IF she's out of job soon (nevertheless I do not wish her being unemployed ...) ???

I have friend who complains that she has to drive to meetings at other offices  and with the rise in fuel it is costing her an increase in her expenditure which she cannot claim and her department does not have enough transportation to bring them to other offices. Take note that goverment officers are paid peanuts.

Same with privatisation. Maggie Thatcher made the dreaded electricity clerks work for a public company, with shareholders as their ultimate bosses. In the UK, some even buy shares themselves - and the harder they worked, the bigger their bonuses.

I'm all for reform - if it means I start to get co-operation, and not the run-around!

In the words of Elvis Costello "tramp the dirt down"

I can't wait

You have short memories people.

He undertook a government 'restructure' in 2002. He merged a couple of government departments, created some more.

Nothing much happened. Nothing will this time. The permanent secretaries probably left that meeting figuring out ways how their piece of turf will be left unharmed.

my 2 cents....

I think thaksin is trying his best in a difficult situation.

the guy is trying...

..somebody mentioned that thaksin is a dictator. ..my response to that is - I rather have him running the country than the drug dealers.

So, who can enlighten us all on what civil servants can, and do, earn for their labours?

What about goverment ministers - are these top jobs in terms of the pay scale?

What do the civil servants not do?

What needs changes are the people on the top from the directors and above. Many think putting more hours mean working hard. Problem is that they fail to understand what working smart means to achieve a better management of the ministry and how to work effectively and efficiently.

There are departments duplicating jobs to justify their keep. Once upon a time when the terrorist threat first appeared, a director from Bangkok sent all his officers to the bus terminals to monitor and look out for suspicious activities. Surely this was the job for the military and police. What the director did not realize was that he was endangering the lives of his staff as they were not suppose to be doing this kind of work.

There is also bad co-ordination amongst the civil services as the right and left hand are not in synchronization i.e. they do not complement one another.

Corruption well, who is guilty? Is the civil servant more guilty then the public that feeds or the civil servant that lives on it?

Why not punish the donor double?

It always takes two hands to clap.

Anyway what is corruption? The clerk who has a free lunch or the general who gets a free trip to China for 5 days at the excuse of buying bombs for Thailand that actually needs only a day visit to Mongolia say or a minister who is treated to game of free golf or as they say it for diplomatic reasons.

On the otherhand there are the civil servants who are really earnest about their work and are unfortunate to be in the wrong department. The truth is that there are some really good people around but how do you pick the good apples from the bad ones.

Well, get rid of the sour cream on top.

Another thing, many are terrifiied now with the threat of being posted to the south. Just like the German soldier who were threaten to perform or be sent to the Russian front in the 2nd world war as seen in Hogan's Heroes :o

Edited by Dove

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

..somebody mentioned that thaksin is a dictator.  ..my response to that is - I rather have him running the country than the drug dealers.

Have you considered that he may have contributed to the problems.

So you actually appreciate that his family is getting richer.

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

..somebody mentioned that thaksin is a dictator.  ..my response to that is - I rather have him running the country than the drug dealers.

I know that before 1992, in thailand, every 4 years, the way regimes changed was via coups.

I also know from reading the newspapers that overall thailand is better now than before.

I know that drugs destroyed china in the early 20th century. so, I know that I wouldn't want the drug dealers in control anywhere in the world.

so, overall, I think thaksin has been good for the country.

now, if you ask me if he is perfect? well, I don't know. I know that I certainly am not. frankly, I have yet to meet a perfect person, or a perfect country. have you?

like everywhere, there are problems here. but just complaining is not going to fix problems. ..what do you suggest needs to be done to fix the problems?

constructive criticism is the road to solutions.

I think the key to many problems the world round is - education. ..which is something that does not happen overnight. we are looking at generations. with proper education, awareness is acquired. and hopefully, peace from within.

I believe that people in general are good. that most of the problems in this world are due to miscommunication, or misunderstandings. and that the internet is a valuable tool for peace.

naive? maybe. I hope not.

..just my 2 cents.

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

I know that before 1992, in thailand, every 4 years, the way regimes changed was via coups.

I also know from reading the newspapers that overall thailand is better now than before.

I know that drugs destroyed china in the early 20th century. so, I know that I wouldn't want the drug dealers in control anywhere in the world.

now, if you ask me if he is perfect? well, I don't know. I know that I certainly am not. frankly, I have yet to meet a perfect person, or a perfect country. have you?

like everywhere, there are problems here. but just complaining is not going to fix problems. ..what do you suggest needs to be done to fix the problems?

I think the key to many problems the world round is - education. ..which is something that does not happen overnight. we are looking at generations. with proper education, awareness is acquired. and hopefully, peace from within.

I believe that people in general are good. that most of the problems in this world are due to miscommunication, or misunderstandings. and that the internet is a valuable tool for peace.

..just my 2 cents.

Yes agreed people in generalare good but this guy is evil to the bone. He may not be a drug addict but he is shrewd. A wolf in sheeps clothing. He is a Hakka a chinese dialect group that is known for their shrewd business deals.

Anway this man is getting the religious thai people to embrace the wrong values i.e. money. He claims to be a staunch Buddhist, let me tell you that if you are a staunch Biddhist you cannot be a politician and practice the teachings of Buddha.

Yes he has cleared the streets of the drug lords but look at what he has done to the south, his hard handed ways has brought on only more deaths.

Let me remind you that this is the man who is bullying the civil servants, making them work long hours, and threatening them with pay and staff cuts. This is no way to treat the people who are managing the country. The consequences can be drastic.

my 4 cents worth.

Edited by Dove

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

..just my 2 cents.

Yes agreed people in generalare good but this guy is evil to the bone. He may not be a drug addict but he is shrewd. A wolf in sheeps clothing. He is a Hakka a chinese dialect group that is known for their shrewd business deals.

Anway this man is getting the religious thai people to embrace the wrong values i.e. money. He claims to be a staunch Buddhist, let me tell you that if you are a staunch Biddhist you cannot be a politician and practice the teachings of Buddha.

Yes he has cleared the streets of the drug lords but look at what he has done to the south, his hard handed ways has brought on only more deaths.

Let me remind you that this is the man who is bullying the civil servants, making them work long hours, and threatening them with pay and staff cuts. This is no way to treat the people who are managing the country. The consequences can be drastic.

my 4 cents worth.

my 2 cents...

I believe the solution to the problems that civic servants are having can be summed up in one word - unions.

most rich people will never volunteer to share their wealth with poor people. that is the nature of rich people.

so, poor people need to form unions. the power of unions cannot be underestimated.

america went through a period of time during the early part of the 20th century where there was child labor, and unfair labor practices. the formation of unions helped to make things fair.

so, what can forming a union do in helping the civic servant get better pay, better living standards, you ask?

well, let's say company 1 has 10,000 people working for it. company 1 is treating it's employees like slaves. all a union needs to do to get company 1 to start paying better wages is to threaten to boycott the products produced by company 1, or better yet, one day the 10,000 people decide not to work.

if the people of the company don't work, the company doesn't make money. get it?

if the union of the people is strong, company 1 will decide to share it's wealth with them. otherwise, company 1 will go broke.

..and if there's one thing rich people can't stand, it's being broke.

in america, they have so many unions. if you interested in the subject, just do a google search.

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

..just my 2 cents.

my 4 cents worth.

my 2 cents...

I believe the solution to the problems that civic servants are having can be summed up in one word - unions.

most rich people will never volunteer to share their wealth with poor people. that is the nature of rich people.

so, poor people need to form unions. the power of unions cannot be underestimated.

america went through a period of time during the early part of the 20th century where there was child labor, and unfair labor practices. the formation of unions helped to make things fair.

so, what can forming a union do in helping the civic servant get better pay, better living standards, you ask?

well, let's say company 1 has 10,000 people working for it. company 1 is treating it's employees like slaves. all a union needs to do to get company 1 to start paying better wages is to threaten to boycott the products produced by company 1, or better yet, one day the 10,000 people decide not to work.

if the people of the company don't work, the company doesn't make money. get it?

if the union of the people is strong, company 1 will decide to share it's wealth with them. otherwise, company 1 will go broke.

..and if there's one thing rich people can't stand, it's being broke.

in america, they have so many unions. if you interested in the subject, just do a google search.

Good idea!

Don't know if unions are allowed in civil service in democratic Thailand :o .

If not I will vote you for PM if you can get the toxin out and change the law.

my 2 cents....

the guy is trying...

I agree that he is trying. Trying to become the most powerful leader in Asia, trying to become even richer, trying to become a totally autonomous leader, trying to pull the wool over everybodys eyes.

Trying to help the country??? Not unless it benefits him directly. Trying to help the average Thai?? He couldnt give a flying f###

You can kid some people some of the time.

You cannot kid all the people all of the time. I give him another 2 years!!

my 4 cents worth.

That must be why he kicks the monks off the land that he and his company's are buying up.