Why Chiangmai? Why Not Puket

minefield

It's a question that as a possible expat I have been thinking long and hard about,, I like Phuket the beaches fishing etc. I like river fishing [flyfishing] but apart from cheaper housing what else is there in chiangmai to do if you are retired?????? :)

It's a question that as a possible expat I have been thinking long and hard about,, I like Phuket the beaches fishing etc. I like river fishing [flyfishing] but apart from cheaper housing what else is there in chiangmai to do if you are retired?????? :)

Nothing. Enjoy Phuket :D

If you like beaches, the ocean and fishing etc, stay in Phuket, one starts to feel 'landlocked' in CM after a while. There is good quality housing to be had in Phuket at reasonable prices if you look around, especially in the interior, and you can find many places to eat that are not overly expensive either. There are markets and the usual supermarkets, so many things are about the same. However, if you want live at Patong or some of the other beach resorts and like the girlie nightlife, then it's certainly going to become the 'costa packet'.

Why not have both? It's easy enough to make one place your home and have the other as a recreational area. I stay in Chiang Mai and take regular visits to the south. Others might prefer to do the opposite. I won't stay in Patong though because it's too expensive. I prefer the Krabi area. There is more than enough night life in Chiang Mai to go to places where it's excessive.

I think the question would be why Phuket when you could have Trang, Chumphon, or any number of less expensive, less crowded, just as, or more beautiful places in the south than that pricy, dirty, tourist trap?

If Chiang Mai's mountains and open plains appeals to you then by all means enjoy, or try Chiang Rai which is similar. But if it's beaches, and ocean you want, you can do loads better than Phuket.

Patong, Phuket was almost perfect - for my tastes - in 1989 when I first visited it, so I tend to think of a place like that as being ideal. The truth is that such places always end up way over built and very expensive. Chiang Mai, is a better place to put down roots.

Nothing. Enjoy Phuket :D

Boy..some people have to make some tough decisions !

Why not have both? It's easy enough to make one place your home and have the other as a recreational area. I stay in Chiang Mai and take regular visits to the south. Others might prefer to do the opposite. I won't stay in Patong though because it's too expensive. I prefer the Krabi area. There is more than enough night life in Chiang Mai to go to places where it's excessive.

Very well said Ian. :)

well as i've said previously, i lived in phuket for 7 years and recently moved to chiangmai, for most of the reasons that have already being quoted, however one that hasn't, the people in chiangmai are far friendlier than those of phuket, why, well my answer would be , that in phuket 2 thirds of the population, are not from phuket, whereas so far most people i've met in chiangmai are chiangmains, with a bit of respect for their city, phuket,most dont give a toss for their enviroment, and are there to capitalise on their ability to make money ,regardless of how, and as quick as possble, chaingmai for me is as near as being proper thailand where friendliness and hospitality is more natural....so far that is.

but if you like ocean above hills, and the quality of people isn't important to you,where the driving is nuts and agressive, phuket is probably the place for you.

good luck