British Newspapers

Quadra

They cost about 180 Baht and are widely available in Pattaya. But  why not read them in an internet cafe instead for only 20-30 Baht/hour?

Why do you want to read old news?

Thanks George and Konangrit for the info. I was in Pattaya in December saw some british papers being sold that were about a week old. I'll be back in Pattaya later this year to stay and want to keep up with what's happening back home even if it is a day late. The internet also sounds a good idea once I get connnected. I'll probably seek the wisdom of the forum nearer the time on this issue. Thanks again

There's something comforting about settling down with a newspaper; a feeling which you don't get when reading them on-line. As George says they're about 180 baht and you can get the Guardian/Times/Torygraph/News of the Screws etc. at Bookazine in Royal Garden shopping centre. My copy of the Grauniad was usually 2 days old.

Scouse.

There's something comforting about settling down with a newspaper; a feeling which you don't get when reading them on-line. As George says they're about 180 baht and you can get the Guardian/Times/Torygraph/News of the Screws etc. at Bookazine in Royal Garden shopping centre. My copy of the Grauniad was usually 2 days old.

Scouse.

Thanks scouse that's useful.

Reading a decent newspaper again, like The Guardian, may make you realize how woeful The Bangkok Post and The Nation are. If you like newspapers that do not frequently cut and paste from the Internet, or employ journalists that couldn't get a job anywhere else, then as Scouse has just said, Bookazine is the place to go. To add to his comments, there's something comforting about reading an English newspaper as opposed to... .

Why ????

If you are on holiday, you are there to relax and forget about home for a while

If you are living in LOS....you have left your old life behind

Now I am going to cop flak here.... :D

We have Poms that have lived here for 20 odd years that still buy their Pommie papers......cant they cut the apron strings....(ducking for cover)

:o:D:D

Why ????

We have Poms that have lived here for 20 odd years that still buy their Pommie papers......cant they cut the apron strings....(ducking for cover)

:o  :D  :D

How on earth can you make a statement like that??

Fish and chips always taste better when wrapped in newspaper ( the Sun not included) :D

Why ????

Perhaps thats why ABC had shown the British Journalism drama "State of Play" 3 times in the last 2 years - British investigative journalism at its best is unsurpassed in the world and makes the Sydney Morning Herald or the Australian like a comic in comparison. These newspapers are not worth reading outside of your home country. Also an interesting article on ABC news last night was how the Australian people actually have no bill of rights unlike US and UK, hence Australian people are subject to body searches and dog sniffer tests and the rest by police just for going into a concert or walking in the park.

Interesting that last night ABC also spent 15 minutes on the Lateline show talking about British Royal weddings and a mere 4 minutes talking about how inadequate the Australian armed forces are going to be that get shipped from Darwin to Iraq. Who cant cut the apron strings......

Scouse.

There's an "offline" world?! :o

Why ????

Perhaps thats why ABC had shown the British Journalism drama "State of Play" 3 times in the last 2 years - British investigative journalism at its best is unsurpassed in the world and makes the Sydney Morning Herald or the Australian like a comic in comparison. These newspapers are not worth reading outside of your home country. Also an interesting article on ABC news last night was how the Australian people actually have no bill of rights unlike US and UK, hence Australian people are subject to body searches and dog sniffer tests and the rest by police just for going into a concert or walking in the park.

Interesting that last night ABC also spent 15 minutes on the Lateline show talking about British Royal weddings and a mere 4 minutes talking about how inadequate the Australian armed forces are going to be that get shipped from Darwin to Iraq. Who cant cut the apron strings......

ABC is a government run service.....and that means it still has ties to the old dart....most Aussies want a republic. And most of us couldnt give a hoot about Chas and his slag.

And look at the rate of violent crimes in the UK and US compared to Oz....because your citizens have rights that impede the police from doing their jobs.

But my point was that it seems that a lot of Poms cannot let go of the UK and this extends to more than newspapers....if they want English traditions and lifestyle they should stay where they are....

By the way I was born in England and spent 12 years there, I have spent 36 years in Oz....never been back, will never go back.

The Grauniad has an on-line edition that is free, or if you subscribe you can get the original printed version to download.

I read both Guardian and Telegraph on-line, also SMH, SCMP. As I work in Singapore for a few days every fortnight, I get the Straits Times in printed (off-line) version ther, but find that now I am used to the on-line editions and the links to related articles makes for better judgement of the news.

Scouse.

I've found its a lot more comforting settling down and not knowing whats going on at home, ignorance is a bliss :o

There is a company that advertises on Sophon who print newspapers off the internet for you the same day. Sorry, don't have their details, but I'm sure someone here will.

It`s called Newspapers Direct Pattaya. If you order before 12 noon they will deliver to your hotel/apartment in Pattaya before 5.00p.m.

They will print virtually any newspaper from the internet..so you get to-days news to-day.

Address:- 316/20 Moo 12 Thappraya Road. (opposite Pan Pan restaurant at junction Thepprasit/Thappraya Road. Tel. 038 303685.

Prices for English papers range from 180 baht to 260 baht.....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
What do you do these days for English newspapers?

They seem to be sold at Bookazine but only Mail/Sun/Star

No qualities anymore like Telegraph/Times.....

Don't anyone say online. Because it's crap. No comparison between The Times and The Times online.

Awwwww bless ! You dug up a 4 year old post to lament on the lack of quality newspapers.

Try going out a bit more.

Quadra.

try punching in http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/ ..... if you want todays british news but dont do it until the afternoon in thailand coz the uk is 7 hours behind us

enjoy ... i spend at least two or three hours a day in here for zilch not 180 to 260 baht ....

are people mad ?

nearly four or five quid to read a newspaper ?

nahhhhh !

dave2

What do you do these days for English newspapers?

They seem to be sold at Bookazine but only Mail/Sun/Star

No qualities anymore like Telegraph/Times.....

Don't anyone say online. Because it's crap. No comparison between The Times and The Times online.

Comparing today's Times Online with the print edition they seem to be identical as far as articles and news items are concerned.

Exactly! I read my local paper nearly every day on line for free, do not care about the missing ads,pics, etc. do not live there anymore, do not shop there anymore, just like to see if anyone I used to know done wrong!, plus hatches, matches and dispatches, comes in handy for sending congrats or sympathies!,via free e-mail of course! Also follow some sports coverage, not available here, online with write-ups from Brit newspapers, some quite witty comments, which would not be allowed in print or live tv, even if not invision.

Always amzed me when on hol in Europe hw many folks stumped up extortionate prices for yesterday's paper. Newsagents in the UK would be way better off if they could sell old papers to anyone who would buy them.

But my point was that it seems that a lot of Poms cannot let go of the UK and this extends to more than newspapers....if they want English traditions and lifestyle they should stay where they are....

By the way I was born in England and spent 12 years there, I have spent 36 years in Oz....never been back, will never go back.

Very true. I've noticed in Pattaya, where I encountered my first hard core, incorrigible Poms (excluding my ex-mother-in-law, a very nice woman), how the Poms are always sucking up to the Brits. Moreover, they seem to have some kind of unspoken resentment against Americans, always feeling the need to talk up Australia in comparison. Praising Mad Max (all three) and Crocodile Dundee is to no avail.

And why isn't the Financial Times being mentioned here? :o

When back in the UK I used to be a 3-4 papers a day man. Here I read then online or the newspaper direct ones the Local bar gets in a few times a week. As much as I enjoy reading a proper paper paying a fiver for a badly printed paper is just not on! Even the 2 day old ones are getting on for 4 pounds. I think some people here are living in cuckoo land when it comes to pricing things! :o