More Bad News

stevoo

went out shopping today, while driving i was listening to the 1 oclock news on BBC radio 5 live the last item was as follows "1 in 15 british tourist have been a victim of violence or a financial scam while abroad" the short report finished with " the most dangerous destination is thailand"

you should never bite the hand that feeds

Iraq,Afganistan,Zimbabwe,Colombia and maybe long weekend in Somailand could be nice for an alternative holday rather that LOS ................................er No dont think so.... :)

went out shopping today, while driving i was listening to the 1 oclock news on BBC radio 5 live the last item was as follows "1 in 15 british tourist have been a victim of violence or a financial scam while abroad" the short report finished with " the most dangerous destination is thailand"

That means that 14 out of 15 HAVE NOT been victims abroad.

Probably safer than staying in Britain.

That means that 14 out of 15 HAVE NOT been victims abroad.

Probably safer than staying in Britain.

Pollyanna lives :)

How about some unfortunate white tourist winding up in the wrong part of Los Angeles or Detroit? That wouldn't even be mentioned in a study.

That could happen in any country. The difference in the US is that you can usually count on the police and courts to treat you fairly even if you're a foreigner.

Like always at home - be aware of your surroundings, and do not walk down an unfamiliar street in the dark. Many people say that they can take care of themselves, but it is much different in the real world when you look at a cold steel blade close to your skin as a desparate addict will not care if you live to see tomorrow as long as the addict can feed the monkey. Cheers.

I was planning to say you have little chance of being robbed in Thailand statistically speaking.

But then I remembered it has happened to me twice in the last few years.

Still getting over the theft of my electric toothbrush.... :)

I just wondered what the record number of thefts is per trip?

Who is Thailand's most unlucky tourist?.....

Consider the source! I have a RSS feed - everything that is BBC I never heed - it is actually worse than The National Enquirer trash that was always at the checkouts in LA supers - with Elvis shops at Walmart kind of garbage.

A prime example was yesterday, watching Formula One on the net & working "Massa hit on chip - airlift to hospital"

Dont they wear helmets anymore?! Indeed had he not been wearing one, he might be dead now.

Bubba

Does that mean I am safe as I am not British??? lol .....

Sadly not my Brother in law's (Thai) neighbour apparently often creeps round and steals his ducks, it seems they are not fussy who they steal from and Thais have it just as bad as farangs and I expect in many cases far worse. The Brother in law is a hard working real grafter, not by any stretch of the imagination rich, lives in a corrugated iron clad house with no running water and has built his own sharpened stake fence (work of art to see) to keep the buggers out.

Consider the source! I have a RSS feed - everything that is BBC I never heed - it is actually worse than The National Enquirer trash that was always at the checkouts in LA supers - with Elvis shops at Walmart kind of garbage.

A prime example was yesterday, watching Formula One on the net & working "Massa hit on chip - airlift to hospital"

Dont they wear helmets anymore?! Indeed had he not been wearing one, he might be dead now.

Bubba

If he's eating chips whilst driving thats his look out!! Did you mean chin?

How about some unfortunate white tourist winding up in the wrong part of Los Angeles or Detroit? That wouldn't even be mentioned in a study.

The broadcast compared holiday destinations from the UK and Thailand came out worst in that study.

And also highlighted financial scams in Thailand.

I just don't get the constant denial many people have whenever Thailand is criticised. Denial is actually a river in Egypt.

Iraq,Afganistan,Zimbabwe,Colombia and maybe long weekend in Somailand could be nice for an alternative holday rather that LOS ................................er No dont think so.... :)

I'll second that one.

Greetings from Harare.

You are actually right that here in Zim you can have fairly relaxed holiday without touts and scams in every street corner. In general no hassle apart occasional orange or potato seller in front of supermarkets. All in all much nicer place than BBC presents in it's "news".

Another plus would be that here you can really be the real traveller off the beaten track. Have not seen a single tourist or backbagger around. Maybe they all fly in outside and direct to Vic falls...

You know, Steve, immediate common sense would tell you, that this, in relation to the actual misconducts to British people here compared to many other countries, is not true.

Thailand is very safe. Even first time socks with sandals, camera dangles on the chest tourists know that.

So must you. :)

Just make a motorcycle cruise through Southern Algeria and you will never post that BS again.

Bubba

Would you care to offer a better alternative to the BBC as a world news source. I like to consider all options.

regards Bojo

Many people try to compare the crime in Thailand to that of other lands but it doesn't work. If you were to carve out a part of Miami's tourist area's and match them to Pattaya's tourist areas you would find that crime on tourist is far greater in Pattaya than in Miami. Also the police is another factor. In Miami, the Police will do all they can to help you and to solve the crime. In Pattaya..........

AND if there was the same amount of crime on tourist going on in Miami as there in in Pattaya you could be sure that Miami would move heaven and earth to put a stop to it. In Pattaya......

I know.. I know.... Your going to call me a troll for posting the truth. Go on, I don't care. :)

Many people try to compare the crime in Thailand to that of other lands but it doesn't work. If you were to carve out a part of Miami's tourist area's and match them to Pattaya's tourist areas you would find that crime on tourist is far greater in Pattaya than in Miami. Also the police is another factor. In Miami, the Police will do all they can to help you and to solve the crime. In Pattaya..........

AND if there was the same amount of crime on tourist going on in Miami as there in in Pattaya you could be sure that Miami would move heaven and earth to put a stop to it. In Pattaya......

I know.. I know.... Your going to call me a troll for posting the truth. Go on, I don't care. :)

Haven't 2 tourists been shot dead by the miami police in recent seperate incidents?

Many people try to compare the crime in Thailand to that of other lands but it doesn't work. If you were to carve out a part of Miami's tourist area's and match them to Pattaya's tourist areas you would find that crime on tourist is far greater in Pattaya than in Miami.

have you actually done this then? Do you have any real credible facts to back up your claim of telling the truth?

Many people try to compare the crime in Thailand to that of other lands but it doesn't work. If you were to carve out a part of Miami's tourist area's and match them to Pattaya's tourist areas you would find that crime on tourist is far greater in Pattaya than in Miami.

have you actually done this then? Do you have any real credible facts to back up your claim of telling the truth?

Yep, I even did a google search on "Miami Tourist Scam" and I got hits for Thailand! LOL

I also did a search on Miami Tourist Crime, Miami Tourist Murder and did the same searches for Pattaya and Pattaya wins hands down for reported web incidents.

Yep, I even did a google search on "Miami Tourist Scam" and I got hits for Thailand! LOL

I also did a search on Miami Tourist Crime, Miami Tourist Murder and did the same searches for Pattaya and Pattaya wins hands down for reported web incidents.

Miami scam typed into google brings up 2,460,000 hits

Pattaya scam typed into google brings up 64,500 hits

Did you read the headers and bodies to see how many were relevant? As I said, when you search with Miami Scams, many Thailand hits come up where folks are comparing Miami to Thailand.

But hey, its up to you. You can go and pretend that all is sunshine and smiles or you can live in reality and know that you had better be on guard and hope that you are one of the lucky ones. :)

Did you read the headers and bodies to see how many were relevant? As I said, when you search with Miami Scams, many Thailand hits come up where folks are comparing Miami to Thailand.

But hey, its up to you. You can go and pretend that all is sunshine and smiles or you can live in reality and know that you had better be on guard and hope that you are one of the lucky ones. :)

Or I could go to Miami and hope the police don't shoot me.