Sexily Dressed Females Are A Selling Point

george

No loitering

Sexily dressed females in front |of our places are a selling point, entertainment venues argue

BANGKOK: -- Many entertainment venues are feeling the pinch following recent police moves to bar sexily dressed females who act as "drinking partners" from loitering in front of the establishments.

"The economy is bad. The government should not have added salt to our wounds," says a manager at one of these places.

Identifying himself only as Keng, the man says female drinking partners are a selling point.

"When people drive past our venue and see beautiful women, they want to drop by," Keng says. "When you open a shop, you need to show your products or else your potential customers will never know what you have to offer."

Keng insists that his venue has strictly banned prostitution. "We dismiss any drinking partner who offers sexual services," he points out.

The 10 women working at his place are expected to entertain guests by having a friendly chat and singing karaoke with them.

Noo, a 23-year-old woman, wears black hot pants and body-hugging blouse with a wide neck when she wants to attract customers.

"But I have a shawl to wrap around my body," she says. "I think it should be okay for me to sit out to draw customers in. If there's no customer, who will give me a tip?"

At another pub, a part-time drinking partner says she should be allowed to attract passers-by because this is her livelihood. "I work here because I want to earn extra money," she says. She has a regular job in the daytime.

Another drinking partner says she feels embarrassed to wear sexy outfits and sit in front of her employer's venue.

"But my family is poor. I have to make money," she says.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a man admits that scantily clad women in front of entertainment venues often prompt him to drop in.

"And I think the women should be allowed to do so. Their clothes are not too revealing and they do not make any indecent moves," he adds.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has been toughening its stance against entertainment venues that have sexily clad women hanging around out front because many of them wear nothing more than underwear and see-through dresses.

Some drivers also reported that they were worried about car accidents given that sexy women could distract motorists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-27

If you are given a lemon, why not make lemonade? I suggest that the owners of 'entertainment venues' dress their greeters and 'come on in' ladies in nun's habits - but make sure that they do not adopt them - the habits I mean.

I would be interested to know how they define 'scantily' dressed. How short is too short? Who makes the decision?

Perhaps they could send folks to Iran and Saudi Arabia for training and have their own Ministry of Vice and Virtue.

Gross indecency in the street is one thing, but dressed sexy at night,

is so standard in LOS that no-one typically is a danger driving, because only

the newbie is really so distracted by SOP dress out front that they risk accidents.

More an issue is drunk driving,

not being distracted by navels on display.

It is all just an excuse for a little more graft by BiB. n'est pas?

Edited by animatic

Here we go again. As I said before, what a dour miserable place Thailand is becoming

Indeed, the TRT/PPP/PTP's would never dream of doing anything similar....

Oops..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/University-I...86.html&hl=

Ban On Student's Short Skirts & Tight Blouses

plus at least a dozen other threads in the helpful archive searching...

catmac.... :)

The only problem I ever had with the ladies standing outside the numerous bars is the few times that the taxi driver I was riding with gets memorized by an over enthusiastic lady and misses a light change, and acting like I am not looking when going by one of these establishments with the wife. Thailand without the scantily clad ladies. What would be the point then?

I would be interested to know how they define 'scantily' dressed. How short is too short? Who makes the decision?

Perhaps they could send folks to Iran and Saudi Arabia for training and have their own Ministry of Vice and Virtue.

Saudi Arabia is a no go unfortunately.

Little matter of stolen jewels to resolve first. :)

Edited by Oberkommando

I say we round them up and stone them.  ....    not the girls   -    the enforcement. :)    Perhaps this is the issue Thaksin's been waiting for.  Bring back Thaksin and bring back the girls.    He can't lose.

Hardly, under Thaksin they started doing the 2am closing-enforcement and other things that started making the party-places to look worse than the most strict places in Europe.

(We have places open until 6am in my home-country...legally. Here they pay under the table and cannot be located right on the tourist-beats and sometimes close at 4, sometimes 6am...)

Here we go again. As I said before, what a dour miserable place Thailand is becoming under this Government of turncoats and incompetents. :)

Is it really so dour that and miserable that some of these people wear a bit more clothing? What some consider attractive others do not. Some of these "drinking partners" are well past their prime and I'm sure when the sun is out, these ladies have to get back into their coffins lest they perish. This could be considered a sexist discriminatory comment by some. Therein lies the problem of trying to have some basic standards. What I find unappetizing will be considered erotic and exciting by others.

There are some that get freaked by the sight of Sasha Baron Cohen in his Borat thong and yet I'm sure there are others that fancy a tryst on the back of an ox cart with him. You have to draw the line somewhere and no one is going to be pleased. Would you be so distraught if that was your daughter forced to expose her boobies so she could eat?

Here we go again. As I said before, what a dour miserable place Thailand is becoming

Indeed, the TRT/PPP/PTP's would never dream of doing anything similar....

Oops..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/University-I...86.html&hl=

Ban On Student's Short Skirts & Tight Blouses

plus at least a dozen other threads in the helpful archive searching...

catmac.... :)

Yes, but as always SJ, you miss the point. Of course all this puritanical nonsense started under Thaksin, one of the many misguided policies that he pursued, along with the Elite Card and all the elitist codswallop that went with it!

But you Thaksin-bashers were always telling us how wonderful life would be under Little Mark and his public school cronies. Thailand would become the land of milk and honey, no more corruption just good honest governance.

Maybe this move against the ladies was promoted by our new Minister for Trade, the mamasan of the massage parlours, trying to stamp out the competition! :D

Actually, she was a good choice, as the economy continues to flounder, very soon the only "trade" left will be the supply of young Isaan girls to the fleshpots of BKK, there to be deflowered by the hiso elite!

On a completely off-topic note, I have never found TV's search facility as anything other than useless.

The only problem I ever had with the ladies standing outside the numerous bars is the few times that the taxi driver I was riding with gets memorized by an over enthusiastic lady and misses a light change, and acting like I am not looking when going by one of these establishments with the wife. Thailand without the scantily clad ladies. What would be the point then?

I'm sure your wife knows, you know. I bet mine does, she just keeps it too herself! I daren't ask incase I'm wrong!

Regards Bojo

Here we go again. As I said before, what a dour miserable place Thailand is becoming under this Government of turncoats and incompetents. :)

Is it really so dour that and miserable that some of these people wear a bit more clothing? What some consider attractive others do not. Some of these "drinking partners" are well past their prime and I'm sure when the sun is out, these ladies have to get back into their coffins lest they perish. This could be considered a sexist discriminatory comment by some. Therein lies the problem of trying to have some basic standards. What I find unappetizing will be considered erotic and exciting by others.

There are some that get freaked by the sight of Sasha Baron Cohen in his Borat thong and yet I'm sure there are others that fancy a tryst on the back of an ox cart with him. You have to draw the line somewhere and no one is going to be pleased. Would you be so distraught if that was your daughter forced to expose her boobies so she could eat?

No, you don't have to draw the line somewhere. That is where subjective BS comes into play that conservative groups now try to push on harder to be in line with their view.

And if my daughter was forced do display her boobies so she could eat, surely I would let her have that choice instead of your daughter that would not even have that option and be forced to starve?

Hello, someone was telling me that these karaoke places keep the temperature much too hot inside so the singers will not have any throat problems so the ladies wear the light and airy clothing as a result. Some of the ladies like to go outside the building to cool off so they do not perspire. I would hope that more people can invetigate and report their findings not only in Bangkok, but in the other cities in Thailand. Cheers.

Here we go again. As I said before, what a dour miserable place Thailand is becoming under this Government of turncoats and incompetents. :D

No, you don't have to draw the line somewhere. That is where subjective BS comes into play that conservative groups now try to push on harder to be in line with their view.

And if my daughter was forced do display her boobies so she could eat, surely I would let her have that choice instead of your daughter that would not even have that option and be forced to starve?

Agree with you 100%, TAWP. (Now that makes a change, eh? :) )

I just don't buy this "forced to expose her boobies" line. For the record, my Thai partner did dance in a go-go bar to pay his way through college, his father had already sacrificed all that he had to give him a good high school education, and simply couldn't pay any more. I'm proud of him for going for it, and trying to make something of his life - I don't think I'd have had the guts to do it!