Apple Iphone 3gs In Thailand

alexth

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if the new Apple iPhone 3Gs made it to Thailand yet. If it did, does True (or whatever iPhone carrier in Thailand) has it available unlocked also? If it didn't, anyone knows when will it be available?

Thanks,

Alex

To be honest here, I never had an iPhone before, but I would be interested in buying one, not for the 3G/5G thingy, but mostly for the applications you can run on it.

That being said, my question was pretty simple: Is the Apple iPhone 3Gs available in Thailand or now and if it isn't, when will it arrive? Looking for an unlocked version also, I don't wanna be stuck to a TrueMove stupid service and I'm not keen on using hundreds of tricks just to operate a mobile phone.

Thank you

Check the true website now and then. So far, it's still all about the 3g

The 3GS will hopefully be unlocked - can't see why not since more and more countries have an unlocked option. I have even heard rumors that apple finally figured out that carrier exclusivity cost them millions of sales, and is now moving away from it, as contracts allow.

Co-incidentally I am writing this on my 1g iPhone ... :)

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if the new Apple iPhone 3Gs made it to Thailand yet. If it did, does True (or whatever iPhone carrier in Thailand) has it available unlocked also? If it didn't, anyone knows when will it be available?

Thanks,

Alex

True have announced that they are going to sell the iphone 3gs in August. They are selling the 3g for Bt28,500 so the 3gs will be more expensive. They are available at MBK fully unlocked for Bt42k or software unlocked for about Bt35k - 32GB. You probably get most of the difference back - between a 16GB 3G and a 3GS when you sell it second hand now.

I guess the price will come down.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Alex

True have announced that they are going to sell the iphone 3gs in August. They are selling the 3g for Bt28,500 so the 3gs will be more expensive. They are available at MBK fully unlocked for Bt42k or software unlocked for about Bt35k - 32GB. You probably get most of the difference back - between a 16GB 3G and a 3GS when you sell it second hand now.

Prices have come down at MBK today I was quoted 33000 for a 32gb factory unlocked 3gs

Edited by saintofsilence

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Alex

Prices have come down at MBK today I was quoted 33000 for a 32gb factory unlocked 3gs

If that is the case I would be a bit surprised. Factory unlocked 32GB GS is not available for under US$1000 on Ebay so it is unlikely to be cheaper than that. Maybe I am cynical but at that price it sounds like software unlocked rather than factory unlocked. Prices do look to have come down a bit - maybe Bt2000.

If true it looks a great deal.

Make sure that you dont get a banger in Bangers......touchy lot these Apple people....seems down to dodgy batts..(not the phone)

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order

Apple attempted to silence a father and daughter with a gagging order after the child’s iPod music player exploded and the family sought a refund from the company.

The Times has learnt that the company would offer the family a full refund only if they were willing to sign a settlement form.

The proposed agreement left them open to legal action if they ever disclosed the terms of the settlement.

The case echoes previous circumstances in which Apple attempted to hush up incidents when its devices overheated.

Ken Stanborough, 47, from Liverpool, dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month. “It made a hissing noise,” he said. “I could feel it getting hotter in my hand, and I thought I could see vapour”.

Mr Stanborough said he threw the device out of his back door, where “within 30 seconds there was a pop, a big puff of smoke and it went 10ft in the air”.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle6736587.ece

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Alex

If that is the case I would be a bit surprised. Factory unlocked 32GB GS is not available for under US$1000 on Ebay so it is unlikely to be cheaper than that. Maybe I am cynical but at that price it sounds like software unlocked rather than factory unlocked. Prices do look to have come down a bit - maybe Bt2000.

If true it looks a great deal.

It is definitely factory unlocked i was also offered software unlocked but wasn't interested not sure of the price they told me but they had both.

It is definitely factory unlocked i was also offered software unlocked but wasn't interested not sure of the price they told me but they had both.

I apologize - using ebay was not a good comparison. If you go to the True website now you will find that they are offering the 3GS 32GB for Bt28,500. This would be factory unlocked.

Whether they have it in stock I dont know. Nor do I know True enough to say whether there are any conditions to this price. Rather strangely they were selling the iphone 3G 16GB for BT28,500 last week. I may have read it wrong but I dont think so.

That means Bt33,500 - which has indeed fallen a lot - isnt even a wildly good deal.

But it certainly explains the very large price drop.

It looks like True's price is very aggressive. I mean last week it was selling an iphone 3g at Bt28,500 and this week a 16GB 3GS is Bt24,500. Strange but True...

Edited by Abrak

That's technology - things get better and cheaper. Amazing, no?

Anyway, True now selling 24.5k and 28.5k for 16/32 GB 3GS.

I was at the True shop today to get the deets:

- Factory unlocked

- Can use with any SIM card

- No contract required

- Will work on True 3G network in BKK. A poster in another thread mentioned it then probably also works as a 3G device on AIS in Chiang Mai.

- If you pre-order now, you get your device Aug 28th - Sept 3. I was promised Aug 28th - the time period is just the period where you _have_ to go pick it up or else your pre-order becomes invalid.

- Sales out of the shop Sept 11 and onwards.

I think the price is reasonable but not downright cheap. Pretty sure it's about $100 less in HK but too lazy to look it up right now.

I pre-ordered today :) I had some second thoughts about boycotting Apple over the Google Voice app store disaster but then... too shiny... and the FCC is investigating so hopefully the retardedness will come to an end soon.

I did not see any mention about the iPhone 3G in the True shop. But I am pretty sure once they 3GS is available in quantity, they'll drop the price for the 8GB 3G (without the S) to BHT 21,000. About USD 100 less than the 16GB 3GS.

Make sure that you dont get a banger in Bangers......touchy lot these Apple people....seems down to dodgy batts..(not the phone)

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order

Apple attempted to silence a father and daughter with a gagging order after the child’s iPod music player exploded and the family sought a refund from the company.

The Times has learnt that the company would offer the family a full refund only if they were willing to sign a settlement form.

To re-iterate a well know gadget blog - this is pure media hype, and basically total BS. First of all, Apple sells huge quantities of iPods so the majority of exploding Li-IO batteries will be Apple devices. Second, the settlement agreement is standard procedure for any out of court settlement - that's the whole point of the out of court settlement. You get compensation, you promise to not to sue the company, and if you still do even though you promised you wouldn't, there will be consequences. Which are written down in the settlement agreement.

You usually need to pay a 10 or 15% premium for an iphone in Bangkok. I do however think that for 'factory unlocked' Bt28.500 might be the lowest price in the world for a 32GB GS (this is from True).

MBK seems to still be charging a Bt5000 premium (which you might just accept if you liked the Apps).

Someone did say they were only BT27500 in Australia but you couldnt make any money importing them here especially if you got raped for import duties. Buy a 32GB 3GS (factory unlocked) on ebay and it will cost you at least US$1000 after postage.

I do find that a lot of the Apps simply dont work on the 3GS despite additional RAM memory.