77 Million Trees To Celebrate Thai Queens Birthday

george

77 million trees to celebrate Queens birthday

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- The ministry of Interior is to organize the planting of 77 million trees by Thai mothers throughout the nation to celebrate the 77th birthday of HM Queen Sirikit on August 12.

The plan was announced yesterday by Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul during a nationwide videoconference with the governors of all Thai provinces.

Queen Sirikit married HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej (King Rama IX) of Thailand on April 28, 1950, one week before his coronation, and is the worlds longest living consort of a monarch.

Queen Sirikit is held in high esteem throughout Thailand by Thais of all social and economic backgrounds and Chavarat yesterday said the ministry, as well as the public and private sectors are coordinating to host a massive celebration of her birthday.

He said the plan was to bring all Thai people together in a mass gathering stretching from Sanam Luang, along Ratchadamnoen road, up to the Royal Plaza.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-07-30

77 million trees to celebrate Queens birthday

A superb present for the Queens birthday. I wonder if while they are planting all the trees they can also ask the people to collect the rubbish that litters this lovely country? It would be so nice not to see all the garbage strewn around? I feel sure that her Majesty the Queen would approve of this. Seems a great pity that Thai children are not taught in school to pick up litter, then maybe, just maybe, they would teach their parents the same and the transition in Thailand would be amazing.

I would like to wish her Majesty the Queen good health and happiness for many years to come

Good news for a change............and smart...........provides shade, helps prevent soil erosion, lowers temperatures in large urban areas, provides oxygen, promotes rainfall, and absorbs CO2 (thus helping solve the climate change challenge).

Other nations should follow suit.....all trying to plant more than the others.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Queen Sirikit married HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej (King Rama IX) of Thailand on April 28, 1950, one week before his coronation, and is the worlds longest living consort of a monarch.

I don't think so! Surely Prince Philip , husband of UK QE2, beats Queen Sirikit. They married in 1947 and he is about 87 years old

I don't think so! Surely Prince Philip , husband of UK QE2, beats Queen Sirikit. They married in 1947 and he is about 87 years old

I wondered about that too, but it depends what "the world's longest living consort" means, and I think it means she is the person who has been the consort of a reigning monarch for the longest, (59 years) versus Prince Philip's 57 years.

I wondered about that too, but it depends what "the world's longest living consort" means, and I think it means she is the person who has been the consort of a reigning monarch for the longest, (59 years) versus Prince Philip's 57 years.

correct

the years of marriage before 1953 do not count as he was consort only after the queen became queen in 1953

I hope it's not rubber trees. That's practically the only type of tree you see in the South.

77 million thats an awful lot of trees :D Congratulations if it is acheived, but somehow I feel it would be more likely to happen if they had not set their sights so high.

But then who is going to count them and verify it. TIT :)

TBWG :D

correct

the years of marriage before 1953 do not count as he was consort only after the queen became queen in 1953

Actually Queen Elizabeth II became queen on 6th February 1952, the day her father King George VI died. Her coronation was in 1953.

correct

Actually Queen Elizabeth II became queen on 6th February 1952, the day her father King George VI died. Her coronation was in 1953.

It doesn't change the situation of longest serving consort. I rather like the urban myth " The king is dead . long live the queen". But constitutionally she became queen after the proclamation ( carried out by the Lord mayor of london for some reason a few days after George vi died. ). It was the Queen that made him consort - by her own proclamation - though for practical purposes people wrongly assume he was consort automatically on her accession.

But nothing changes the figures. he is not the world's longest serving consort.

It doesn't change the situation of longest serving consort. I rather like the urban myth " The king is dead . long live the queen". But constitutionally she became queen after the proclamation ( carried out by the Lord mayor of london for some reason a few days after George vi died. ). It was the Queen that made him consort - by her own proclamation - though for practical purposes people wrongly assume he was consort automatically on her accession.

But nothing changes the figures. he is not the world's longest serving consort.

Whether "constitutionally" or not, or an "urban myth", in Britain it is assumed that where there is an heir presumptive, he or she automatically succeeds upon the moment of death of his or her predecessor, with or without a proclamation, which is merely a formality. But in fact, The Council of Succession proclaimed Elizabeth II the new British queen on 6 February 1952. The Queen never made Prince Philip her official "Consort", unlike Queen Victoria who bestowed the title Prince Consort on Albert in 1857, some 17 years after they were married. I was using the term "consort" in its general sense, as in her "husband". She did however make him a Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957.

But as you note, it does not change the position of the longest serving consort/spouse of a living reigning monarch, which the article rightfully states is Queen Sirikit.

Edited by samtam