The Stock Market

The Fed is starting to float trial baloons and make inquiries as to how they might mop up some excess liquidity "sometime in the future". That's all it took to make the market nervous. This market is like a spoiled child. Once you start to give in to petulant demands, it's the beginning of the end.

Edited by lannarebirth

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Fed is starting to float trial baloons and make inquiries as to how they might mop up some excess liquidity "sometime in the future". That's all it took to make the market nervous. This market is like a spoiled child. Once you start to give in to petulant demands, it's the beginning of the end.

very well said it will work both ways you cant beat it can only join it. Red October 1st week is a self fulfilling prophecy, stock I reduced postion on open today bounced back grrrrr but I dont hold blue chip so they bit unpredictable

I can tell you there was lots of heavy dumping today A lot of burnt holders without the stomach for risk 2nd time around. A lot of buying as well new bulls bargain hunting. Personally I mostly buy on the worst of the dow days and did today. fear=bargains so far anyway lets see how the next week pans out

Fear??!! You don't call this fear do you? The Dow is down about 4% from its recent highs. At the moment, it could well be just a normal correction.

Personally, I'd like to see a few more normal corrections, They give some indication of support/resistance levels to trade off off. Lately, there's been no levels to indicate a trade and it's been frustrating.

i dont see too much more downside on Dow. we are in need of a correction but no need to panic as yet. we are at the bottom of the smaller channel and looking for a bounce from this point. if that doesnt hold the larger channel should. if that doesnt hold then im shorting. until then tight stops and peace of mind.

dowjones.png

I have to say Zorro the day a bull who has never shorted in his life decides to go short might well coincide with the day I decide to go long your market.

LOL good point . This rally has legs until November trust me ,the chart is simply to show the facts being we are still in a very major uptrend until proven otherwise. Love the charts they don't lie, it is what it is

I have to say Zorro the day a bull who has never shorted in his life decides to go short might well coincide with the day I decide to go long your market.

LOL good point . This rally has legs until November trust me ,the chart is simply to show the facts being we are still in a very major uptrend until proven otherwise. Love the charts they don't lie, it is what it is

To quote somebody else - not sure who! Charts and indicators have an uncanny ability to predict the past.

Charts analysis can only give you an edge, they are far from foolproof.

Anybody who says that the charts don't lie is a fool. I actually don't take you for a fool, so I'm surprised that you post this.

Zorro, I don't think that you've been trading for very long so maybe you've not experienced the hard knocks. A lot of people that have built up this super-confidence come very unstuck one day. I really hope that it doesn't happen to you.

To quote somebody else - not sure who! Charts and indicators have an uncanny ability to predict the past.

Anybody who says that the charts don't lie is a fool. I actually don't take you for a fool, so I'm surprised that you post this.

Zorro, I don't think that you've been trading for very long so maybe you've not experienced the hard knocks. A lot of people that have built up this super-confidence come very unstuck one day. I really hope that it doesn't happen to you.

zorro listen to the very wise words of loong :D

I told you before you have become delusional :D

reality of fundamentals have to bite sooner or later. Look at the latest US jobs figures- terrible and cars are no longer selling etc

Its clear that the US economy is not getting better and one commentator just said its even going backwards.

but dont worry its not too late .........I will sell the rice back you ( at a small premium :) )

I am not really a chartist but I do understand their significance in that they reflect market psychology. Things like 'key reversals' which almost happened yesterday I watch out for. What I dont like about chart analysis is that it so often looks right in hindsight. I mean if you look at your chart you have drawn a straight line between two points. It is impossible NOT to draw a straight line between two points so why give it any significance?

Cant argue that its still not in an uptrend. But I hate Octobers....

loong what are your thoughts on gaps? Every stock I have owned has gaped up or down to fill a silly 1c gap. Take pen for example my major holding since 2.8c / 2 days ago we had the highest volume in history up to 6.1 c

The chartists all came out and said watch the gap at 5.2c

what happened? gap filled and bounced to 5.5 today, this has happened to nearly every stock I own. Charts for some reason give more edge now than ever before.

Loong where did I say charts are "fool proof"........ they dont lie 100% because the chart is from today, it is what it is . I dont take you for a fool so Im surprised you would post this :)

In the chart I stated we need a bounce from here lets see what happens.

Edited by zorro1

zorro listen to the very wise words of loong :D

I told you before you have become delusional :D

reality of fundamentals have to bite sooner or later. Look at the latest US jobs figures- terrible and cars are no longer selling etc

Its clear that the US economy is not getting better and one commentator just said its even going backwards.

but dont worry its not too late .........I will sell the rice back you ( at a small premium :) )

midas you missed the rally. you will need the rice to be able to eat. keep it :D

I am not really a chartist but I do understand their significance in that they reflect market psychology. Things like 'key reversals' which almost happened yesterday I watch out for. What I dont like about chart analysis is that it so often looks right in hindsight. I mean if you look at your chart you have drawn a straight line between two points. It is impossible NOT to draw a straight line between two points so why give it any significance?

Just 4 weeks to go, Valium and good scotch in high demand over here :)

loong what are your thoughts on gaps? Every stock I have owned has gaped up or down to fill a silly 1c gap. Take pen for example my major holding since 2.8c / 2 days ago we had the highest volume in history up to 6.1 c

what happened? gap filled and bounced to 5.5 today, this has happened to nearly every stock I own. Charts for some reason give more edge now than ever before.

Loong where did I say charts are "fool proof"........ they dont lie 100% because the chart is from today, it is what it is . I dont take you for a fool so Im surprised you would post this :D

I'm actually a little unsure what you are referring to by "Gaps" :D

When I think about gaps, it is the difference between today's opening and yesterday's close, ie the "Opening Gap". But then that doesn't make sense in your post, I've never heard of any chartist trying to predict the opening gap.

Not being familiar with pen, I had to look it up and so I assume that you are referring to

Peninsula Minerals Limited (PEN.AX)

a stock that is trading at about 0.055 AU$. If so, I'm a bit surprised that you refer to a silly 1 cent gap. 1 cent on this stock is nearly 20% !

But anyway, this is a good example of Bulls getting burnt. Thursday there would have been a lot of buyers that entered or added to their positions at around 0.06 AU$. Maybe many would have put a stoploss at 10%, so 0.054. Their stop may or may not have been hit Thursday afternoon, but it opened Friday at 0.052, and with the spread, probable bid price of 0.051.

Their stop would not be executed at 0.054, but at the bid of 0.051. So although these buyers set their stops to a maximum risk of 10%, they actually lost 15% !

This is where the mindset of the undisciplined trader works against them. They are actually angry at the stock. They've just lost 15% in one day and are now watching it climb! They want their revenge on this stock and don't want to admit that they were wrong, so they've bought back in again at 0.055. Maybe they are even congratulating themselves, because they are actually buying at a better price than yesterday and to be sure of recouping their losses, they double their stake.

Who knows what the opening gap will be on Monday? Maybe it will work for these traders, maybe against them.

If the market moves against them, the inexperienced will start getting really angry, maybe by now they are shouting at their computer screen, inbetween, running out to kick the dog. They feel that this stock is really taking the p**s out of them. They've already lost once and are losing again.

The price is getting down to nearly triggering their stoploss, a lot of tension.

Now the revelation - "This F####ng stock has it in for ME! It's doing this because it's out to get ME!"

The trader is now absolutely certain that the price will hit his stoploss, just to bounce straight up again. Well, this stock is not going to make a fool of him, he's on to its game.

"I'll just move the stoploss down and then I won't have to suffer watching the price go up after being stopped out". "I'll get the better of this stock, just you wait and see"

A few weeks later, he's removed the stoploss altogether because it just can't keep going down, it must turn around eventually - mustn't it?

"Let's add to the position, then I can recoup the losses faster"

A few more weeks go by and the Wife has left him and taken the kids. He just sits swearing at the computer screen, surrounded by takeaway pizza boxes and empty whiskey bottles. He knows that he will win, he can't be wrong, but just to be on the safe side he will start praying to God or even make a deal with the Devil if possible.

6 months later the trader has no wife, no car, no house and the dog ran away a long time ago.

End of story.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. Of course stories like this never happen in real life - nobody is that stupid :) but I'm sure that many people who have traded for some time will recognise that there is an element of truth here.

When I first started trading, I really thought that it was easy. I was going to make an absolute fortune. I was super-confident and when the market moved against me, I found it impossible to admit that I was wrong - I couldn't be wrong - I was SuperTrader!

A hard, but possibly essential lesson was learned.

midas you missed the rally. you will need the rice to be able to eat. keep it :D

That is history ......i am talking about your fantasies that it will keep going up :)

I think what this guy wrote sums it up :-

" CNBC is well aware that if you repeat a lie long enough, it becomes true.( zorro is that your plan :D) The argument: "buy on the dips" as the gobs of sidelined money just can't wait to rush in and lose whatever, well, money it may have left. Alas, it does not work like that. This proverbial money on the sidelines, while it may care about seeing an SPY downtick compliments of a blown fuse at JPM ETF HQ, it is even more concerned about what may happen tomorrow, and whether the risk/return on throwing money into a market that as recently as a year ago showed how it can go down by 50% in a very short amount of time, justifies the risk of being unemployed tomorrow.

We present a comparison of cash currently in money market accounts (MMFA Index), which incidentally is now lower than it was before the Lehman bankruptcy: if anyone "on the sidelines" was spooked by that particular event, they are now over it, and U-6 unemployment. To say that this "capital" will further flow into equities which have already had an unprecedented and purely government backstopped 50% ride up, even as the general American public has no confidence it will have a job tomorrow, is misleading, flawed and representative of weapons grade stupidity. " :D

Loong where did I say charts are "fool proof"........ they dont lie 100% because the chart is from today, it is what it is . I dont take you for a fool so Im surprised you would post this :D

I'm actually a little unsure what you are referring to by "Gaps" :D

When I think about gaps, it is the difference between today's opening and yesterday's close, ie the "Opening Gap". But then that doesn't make sense in your post, I've never heard of any chartist trying to predict the opening gap.

Not being familiar with pen, I had to look it up and so I assume that you are referring to

Peninsula Minerals Limited (PEN.AX)

a stock that is trading at about 0.055 AU$. If so, I'm a bit surprised that you refer to a silly 1 cent gap. 1 cent on this stock is nearly 20% !

But anyway, this is a good example of Bulls getting burnt. Thursday there would have been a lot of buyers that entered or added to their positions at around 0.06 AU$. Maybe many would have put a stoploss at 10%, so 0.054. Their stop may or may not have been hit Thursday afternoon, but it opened Friday at 0.052, and with the spread, probable bid price of 0.051.

Their stop would not be executed at 0.054, but at the bid of 0.051. So although these buyers set their stops to a maximum risk of 10%, they actually lost 15% !

This is where the mindset of the undisciplined trader works against them. They are actually angry at the stock. They've just lost 15% in one day and are now watching it climb! They want their revenge on this stock and don't want to admit that they were wrong, so they've bought back in again at 0.055. Maybe they are even congratulating themselves, because they are actually buying at a better price than yesterday and to be sure of recouping their losses, they double their stake.

Who knows what the opening gap will be on Monday? Maybe it will work for these traders, maybe against them.

If the market moves against them, the inexperienced will start getting really angry, maybe by now they are shouting at their computer screen, inbetween, running out to kick the dog. They feel that this stock is really taking the p**s out of them. They've already lost once and are losing again.

The price is getting down to nearly triggering their stoploss, a lot of tension.

Now the revelation - "This F####ng stock has it in for ME! It's doing this because it's out to get ME!"

The trader is now absolutely certain that the price will hit his stoploss, just to bounce straight up again. Well, this stock is not going to make a fool of him, he's on to its game.

"I'll just move the stoploss down and then I won't have to suffer watching the price go up after being stopped out". "I'll get the better of this stock, just you wait and see"

A few weeks later, he's removed the stoploss altogether because it just can't keep going down, it must turn around eventually - mustn't it?

"Let's add to the position, then I can recoup the losses faster"

A few more weeks go by and the Wife has left him and taken the kids. He just sits swearing at the computer screen, surrounded by takeaway pizza boxes and empty whiskey bottles. He knows that he will win, he can't be wrong, but just to be on the safe side he will start praying to God or even make a deal with the Devil if possible.

6 months later the trader has no wife, no car, no house and the dog ran away a long time ago.

End of story.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. Of course stories like this never happen in real life - nobody is that stupid :) but I'm sure that many people who have traded for some time will recognise that there is an element of truth here.

When I first started trading, I really thought that it was easy. I was going to make an absolute fortune. I was super-confident and when the market moved against me, I found it impossible to admit that I was wrong - I couldn't be wrong - I was SuperTrader!

A hard, but possibly essential lesson was learned.

Loong I think you summed up trading in your excellent post and should be pinned for newbies. Took me till about now get the idea of what the pros do.

of course I meant 0.1 c for pen. the reason it was bought up is there is another gap to .057

Yes admitting we get it wrong is the hardest part. Accepting a loss doesnt seem right after all that abc stock showed you a 10k profit, no way You gonna give half back just watch it fall to -15k :D My first warning came a month back when I stopped using stop loss. Very much a reality check and now they are back

"This is where the mindset of the undisciplined trader works against them. They are actually angry at the stock. They've just lost 15% in one day and are now watching it climb! They want their revenge on this stock and don't want to admit that they were wrong, so they've bought back in again at 0.055. Maybe they are even congratulating themselves, because they are actually buying at a better price than yesterday and to be sure of recouping their losses, they double their stake." CLASSIC!!!!! did it many times :D

Edited by zorro1

That is history ......i am talking about your fantasies that it will keep going up :)

I think what this guy wrote sums it up :-

" CNBC is well aware that if you repeat a lie long enough, it becomes true.( zorro is that your plan :D ) The argument: "buy on the dips" as the gobs of sidelined money just can't wait to rush in and lose whatever, well, money it may have left. Alas, it does not work like that. This proverbial money on the sidelines, while it may care about seeing an SPY downtick compliments of a blown fuse at JPM ETF HQ, it is even more concerned about what may happen tomorrow, and whether the risk/return on throwing money into a market that as recently as a year ago showed how it can go down by 50% in a very short amount of time, justifies the risk of being unemployed tomorrow.

We present a comparison of cash currently in money market accounts (MMFA Index), which incidentally is now lower than it was before the Lehman bankruptcy: if anyone "on the sidelines" was spooked by that particular event, they are now over it, and U-6 unemployment. To say that this "capital" will further flow into equities which have already had an unprecedented and purely government backstopped 50% ride up, even as the general American public has no confidence it will have a job tomorrow, is misleading, flawed and representative of weapons grade stupidity. " :D

cnbc were mostly bearish until half way into the rally then suddenly the coverage became bullish. Midas one question , why didn't you short the last 7 months? Lucky for you your out of your depth

I dont know why your even here although its a free forum but generally threads are started for people with a common interest. I mean why not not go to the golf thread ant tell them they got no balls or something :D really start a thread called GFC2 and you can rant away . This one is about trading which you don't do and are clueless and you got it wrong so no credibility either . I wouldn't sacrifice my dignity like you have the last year but were all different

Yes admitting we get it wrong is the hardest part. Accepting a loss doesnt seem right after all that abc stock showed you a 10k profit,

Brings back memories.

When I was day trading the Tech bubble I knew guys who lost everything. They kept saying it is not a loss if you dont sell..all the way down.....LOL :)

Edited by flying

Yes admitting we get it wrong is the hardest part. Accepting a loss doesnt seem right after all that abc stock showed you a 10k profit,

Brings back memories.

When I was day trading the Tech bubble I knew guys who lost everything. They kept saying it is not a loss if you dont sell..all the way down.....LOL :)

sometimes you cant sell the stock, some of mine are so iliquid a large holding becomes long term LOL

Edited by zorro1

I dont know why your even here although its a free forum but generally threads are started for people with a common interest. I mean why not not go to the golf thread ant tell them they got no balls or something :D really start a thread called GFC2 and you can rant away . This one is about trading which you don't do and are clueless and you got it wrong so no credibility either . I wouldn't sacrifice my dignity like you have the last year but were all different

No ......the psychology of people with chronic addictions is far more entertaining :)

No ......the psychology of people with chronic addictions is far more entertaining :)

P.S I promise I will leave somewhere near the top if there is a reversal, with a bag of cash of course. you will have only a years worth of incorrect postings. I rest my case :D:D:D

cnbc were mostly bearish until half way into the rally then suddenly the coverage became bullish. Midas one question , why didn't you short the last 7 months? Lucky for you your out of your depth

I dont know why your even here although its a free forum but generally threads are started for people with a common interest. I mean why not not go to the golf thread ant tell them they got no balls or something :) really start a thread called GFC2 and you can rant away . This one is about trading which you don't do and are clueless and you got it wrong so no credibility either . I wouldn't sacrifice my dignity like you have the last year but were all different

Perhaps Zorro, you should actually take note of the fact that Midas IS still here. It shows a degree of conviction that it would be wrong to ignore. Afterall at the end of 2000 this could be a thread about internet stocks and there would be a guy saying that given they are all up 300% why continue saying they are massively overvalued and are a sell?

As far as dignity is concerned you get far more in my book to post when you are wrong then when you are right.

Perhaps Zorro, you should actually take note of the fact that Midas IS still here. It shows a degree of conviction that it would be wrong to ignore. Afterall at the end of 2000 this could be a thread about internet stocks and there would be a guy saying that given they are all up 300% why continue saying they are massively overvalued and are a sell?

As far as dignity is concerned you get far more in my book to post when you are wrong then when you are right.

I would not be a bear if things got back to being measured

in relation to fundamentals :) ...........and when the market collapses I will remind him he should have stuck to rice dealing :D

I would not be a bear if things got back to being measured

in relation to fundamentals :) ...........and when the market collapses I will remind him he should have stuck to rice dealing :D

I'm not sure where you got this notion midas. Markets have never been measured in relation to fundamentals. Al least not with coincident timing. Typically markets range from being undervalued to being overvalued, and those misvaluations can persist for an awfully long time.

I'm not sure where you got this notion midas. Markets have never been measured in relation to fundamentals. Al least not with coincident timing. Typically markets range from being undervalued to being overvalued, and those misvaluations can persist for an awfully long time.

Oh so true Lannarebirth. It is not really the E that changes much simply the P. Obviously you need to normalize your E (say 10 year MVA).

Then it justs goes up and down over the last 100 years between 7 and 25 (with the exception of 2000). And even now we are not much wiser because while valuations look high we have zero interest rates, so it is to be expected. Everything starts to look expensive with cash at zero.

(BTW thats why I posted that data going back 100 years showing the inverse correlation between GDP growth per capita and investment returns. High growth economies only make good returns so long as valuations are low.)

eryou go on believing what you want :) I never meant fundamentals only

about " valuations ". I meant fundamentals about the general outlook

Its very easy for people to stick their heads in the ground about valuations

- or " extend and pretend " to their little hearts content.

Not so easy to deny what people like Gerald Celente says is coming. :D

I dont know why your even here although its a free forum but generally threads are started for people with a common interest. I mean why not not go to the golf thread ant tell them they got no balls or something :) really start a thread called GFC2 and you can rant away . This one is about trading which you don't do and are clueless and you got it wrong so no credibility either . I wouldn't sacrifice my dignity like you have the last year but were all different

He keeps bouncing back under punishment. If he were a stock I would bet against the rules and put the lot on MID

regarding dignity he has never and wont admit he got it wrong. Thats not dignity in my books that's why I keep whipping him however I would miss him if he was gone. Got to measure success against failure . LOL he will get it right eventually and when he does Im off with my loot and shutting down the thread :D

Anyway back on topic is it coincidental that the dow is gently testing the lower middle Chanel on the chart? We will open flat if not slightly up Monday, oz markets were a tad oversold IMO friday. The real test will be next 2 weeks. Interesting times ahead ,caution but not panic in order form me at least. Anyone shorting as of Monday? Like to hear the disclosures before the event :) whos shorting?

Anyway back on topic is it coincidental that the dow is gently testing the lower middle Chanel on the chart? We will open flat if not slightly up Monday, oz markets were a tad oversold IMO friday. The real test will be next 2 weeks. Interesting times ahead ,caution but not panic in order form me at least. Anyone shorting as of Monday? Like to hear the disclosures before the event :D whos shorting?

I nabbed this from another thread courtesy of churchill :D

Anyway zorro this quotes 4 dfiferent people ............can you give anyone ( just one ! ) person

who supports your bizzare outlook that things can keep going up ? :):D in your dreams !!

CAUTION: Crash/Collapse Dead Ahead Say Faber, Rogers, Dent and Celente :D

http://www.shtfplan.com/marc-faber/caution...elente_10022009

eryou go on believing what you want :) I never meant fundamentals only

about " valuations ". I meant fundamentals about the general outlook

Its very easy for people to stick their heads in the ground about valuations

- or " extend and pretend " to their little hearts content.

Not so easy to deny what people like Gerald Celente says is coming. :D

http://www.infowars.com/celente-predicts-r...llions-by-2012/

Seriously Midas it is very easy to deny this.

Lets face it a President went to war based on a bare faced lie and got re-elected.

It is all going to be down to marketing which I reckon Obama is pretty good at. He is going to sell prudence, austerity, restoring the economy for the good of our children. He will preach 'sufficiency economy'. The end of unbridled consumer indulgence and he will be in tune with America - thats what they are doing. We will hear the word sacrifice time and again.

Urban art is in, social conscious is in and Paris Hilton and Roman Abromavich are so out.

Rather than promising good times he will sell that the bad times are good for us and it will work. Everyone has a TV and and an Xbox so they certainly wont be rioting. Anyway, I guess we will see but it is a bloody sight easier marketing austerity than generating significant growth.

Anyway back on topic is it coincidental that the dow is gently testing the lower middle Chanel on the chart? We will open flat if not slightly up Monday, oz markets were a tad oversold IMO friday. The real test will be next 2 weeks. Interesting times ahead ,caution but not panic in order form me at least. Anyone shorting as of Monday? Like to hear the disclosures before the event :D whos shorting?

I nabbed this from another thread courtesy of churchill :D

Anyway zorro this quotes 4 dfiferent people ............can you give anyone ( just one ! ) person

who supports your bizzare outlook that things can keep going up ? :D:D in your dreams !!

CAUTION: Crash/Collapse Dead Ahead Say Faber, Rogers, Dent and Celente :D

http://www.shtfplan.com/marc-faber/caution...elente_10022009

faber advised a big sell on the Thai SET just as it bounced to biggest highs? did you know that? Midas a bit of research before posting please. We dont sell because faber and co tell us to. How someone can be so far out of their depth and keep posting is beyond me. even if we do pull back it has nothing to do with your advice (cut n pastes by google how embarrassing :) ) but the fact that the markets go up and down. one day when you start to trade and plonk down a big 50 bucks on RIO you will see that 50 move around a bit. Now the question is are we in correction or are we plunging to new depths? obama going to throw trillions more stimulus, he has to, USA to big to fail and he likes being mr president :D