Using Edge On Iphone

cowman1

• 4 months later...

I have an Iphone 3G with DTAC's 50hr/200baht/month package, and I've had no problems with data "leaking". I have pushmail off and have it fetch my emails hourly. I've been impressed with how little minutes I use this way. To answer the OP's question, yes my "E" icon is always on

This data leaking problem seems to affect only certain iphones because I have the same problem as the op. I have every email feature turned off or set to manual and yet occasionally my phone will go online and download my email. I was using the AIS pre-paid cards before but I had to switch to a monthly plan as I was going through the cards at an alarming rate.

I suspect this has something to do with the 3.0 update as when I bought my phone 2 years ago and was running the 1.0 OS I never had this problem.

• 1 month later...
Me too!

I bought a prepaid sim yesterday, and before midnight it was empty. I sent maybe five texts, and the rest was presumably data minutes. Oh well, off to the AIS store to get an unlimited card.

i have this problem when i venture down to the islands. i solved it by turning off push, set all mail send receive to manual and turned off notifications.

likewise, you need to know if you have apps that regularly poll the internet.

AIS does not distinguish between call funds and data funds unless you sign up for an hourly package. once you have used your hours, it then bills edge at the base rate.

in bangkok, my iphone automatically connects to wireless networks i have set it to. a 200 baht 50 hour package takes up the slack when no network is available.

Yes since the 3.0 upgrade its been a bit of a problem, the main thing to do is use sbsettings to turn off edge AND also make sure you have turned off PUSH for mail and contacts etc. If you do both these things it should stop completely, however, I have a sneaking suspicion that certain appstore apps also suck minutes automatically even with both those turned off, I had to uninstall a few to stop it.

300 baht for unlimitted edge with True? Is this for real? Thats 30% of the price of AIS.

True is great value in Bangkok. Every time I go outside of Bangkok I either get poor GPRS or no internet connection. Unlimited Edge with no edge is worth nothing

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for being such a dummy but i am burning up minutes on my 3GS iphone, a lot!. i am on the net a lot, for short periods of time checking emails, stocks, etc. I turned off push for my gmail account but my battery isnt lasting and I usually need a second charge during the day. Is there any way to see what is using up my battery since I think I have everything turned off in settings but it still burns up battery life.

I usually see the E smybol when i am not at home and it connects to my wifi, I have AIS by the way

What exactly is edge, isnt that an upgraded line that makes the internet connection faster when not using wi-fi, if so I want the additional speed. I see the unlimited package from AIS for 1k which I am more than willing to pay but I am confused with posters keep talking minutes and edge. Will this AIS package give me all the time I want per month including edge? Asking a thai person working at AIS in lotus is a joke. One time payment of 1k and I can use the phone all I want, 24/7 ? I have the sheet from AIS and one of the options is 999 baht + for edge/grps [will that do all my internet and my phone etc.?]

thanks for any help, I am really confused about it since I only ever used my razor which doesnt do any of this

I also see under setting under carriers some choices.

automatic which i have checked

th gsm

th-dtac

true

th gsm 1800 [not sure what this is]

Edited by Lost in LOS

999 unlimitted means all the internet you can eat. Thats it, it does not include phone calls, sms etc... that is an extra charge (package). Also does not mean you can use wifi, you need a wifi network for that.

In settings it might list several networks but you only have access to one since you are using a sim card from ONE network. Like if you are on ais your sim card is only able to connect to the ais network for calls and edge internet.

Your phone automatically connects to edge to use the internet when you are not on a wifi network. Those minutes get charged to your ais account unless you have an internet plan that covers a certain amount of minutes or unlimitted.

People refer to CALL minutes and edge minutes, they are not the same but they all cost money (either in your package that you pay for or per minute if you dont have a plan)

Edited by TheLaughingMan

999 unlimitted means all the internet you can eat. Thats it, it does not include phone calls, sms etc... that is an extra charge (package). Also does not mean you can use wifi, you need a wifi network for that.

In settings it might list several networks but you only have access to one since you are using a sim card from ONE network. Like if you are on ais your sim card is only able to connect to the ais network for calls and edge internet.

Your phone automatically connects to edge to use the internet when you are not on a wifi network. Those minutes get charged to your ais account unless you have an internet plan that covers a certain amount of minutes or unlimitted.

People refer to CALL minutes and edge minutes, they are not the same but they all cost money (either in your package that you pay for or per minute if you dont have a plan)

thanks for that, its what i was trying to find out from AIS but we could never make the connection, appreciate the help

• 4 months later...

Problem solved! as my bodyguard (gf) was getting out of the car the other day the offending iPhone slipped out of her dainty hand & dropped neatly through a sewer grid submerging itself under three feet of liquid poo. I peered down into the depths & bid it sayonara. Good excuse to waste another 20,000 baht on another daft tech toy. Dell Streak got my limited span attention with its enormously huge 5" screen. Oh, the excitement of it all. http://www.engadget....-streak-review/

Edited by edwardrake