Acceptable Gift

maxcherry

It is my girlfriends daughter's 15 birthday in a few weeks when I will be meeting her for the first time. What would be an acceptable gift to get this girl in that it is not too pricy and that I don't come across as mean. Cheers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mobile phone?

I agree but if max is not at the cutting edge of mobile technology he coud make a massive faux pa by buying the wrong sort..lets face it max she is 15 and a woman, you are never going to please her..best thing cash, and a small token gift, she can choose her ownt then...mind you I hear that perfume is a goody, but then again which flavour? ask her mum perhaps.

mobile phone?

I agree but if max is not at the cutting edge of mobile technology he coud make a massive faux pa by buying the wrong sort..lets face it max she is 15 and a woman, you are never going to please her..best thing cash, and a small token gift, she can choose her ownt then...mind you I hear that perfume is a goody, but then again which flavour? ask her mum perhaps.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think cash is the way to go. How much though?

A mobile for a 15 year old Thai girl ?

Please dont further encourage the bloody materialism in the Thai society.

Erm you don't know much about Thai girls do you.

3000bt bt is a good amount, bit more if you are feeling generous. you can buy a reasonable mobile for that give her more and she will like you better guaranteed :o

mobile phones, perfume, cash, gold...all encourages the worst in an adolescent on the threshhold of adulthood...

I say prepare her a bowl of cold oatmeal without milk and stand over her with a bludgeon until she finishes it...

You could make her wear hair shirts and give her a sound thrashing whilst quoting scripture from the bible...for that authentic Victorian experience, a birthday gift and history lesson rolled into one!

mobile phones, perfume, cash, gold...all encourages the worst in an adolescent on the threshhold of adulthood...

I say prepare her a bowl of cold oatmeal without milk and stand over her with a bludgeon until she finishes it...

You could make her wear hair shirts and give her a sound thrashing whilst quoting scripture from the bible...for that authentic Victorian experience, a birthday gift and history lesson rolled into one!

:D:o:D

Well if you've got money to spend a top of the line mobile will put you in her good books forever! But as a first gift that might be a bit OTT, I like the small gold chain idea, nothing to chunky and flashy. Gold's the way to go!

'I Looooooove gooooooold!'

To quote Goldmember :o:D

A mobile for a 15 year old Thai girl ?

Please dont further encourage the bloody materialism in the Thai society.

Why not? ET could have done with one. No I suggest a voucher from a top BKK store. Then she can get what she wants and you know the money won't go elsewhere.

Edited by lampard10

The voucher for a top BKK shop also sounds good. As she lives 3hrs away from BKK by bus would this piss her off - having to go to BKK to use it. Have to be very careful in my choice here - see want to come across generous but not as some rich farang fool.

Which I am not! Farang and fool yes but rich no.

All ladies love gold and I am sure that a 15 years old is no different.

A one baht chain (just under half a troy ounce) would cost you about 8,000 baht.

Because she is 15 years old I would not suggest buying her less than this in terms of weight....if she was younger it would be OK to buy a half baht chain.

Good luck with your first meeting. :o

Forget mobiles and gold.....

You dont know her, why dont you ask her Mum, find out what she likes and then buy according to your budget.

A CD player maybe an idea.....with some cash for her to buy her fav music.

Wait till you get there and take her shopping at the local market, that way she can pick out some clothes she likes and you control the budget.

If you give her cash, seal it an envelope with a card....dont just hand her the cash...and something from 500 to a 1000 baht will be enough.