Traffic Accident Thailand

papa2459

Hi

Anybody had the misfortune to be involved in an accident with a Thai motorbike? Doesn't matter where the blame lays as the Police are not interested in a statement from you, just whether you have insurance!

My interest is in the 21 day rule that applies to injuries, apparently after 21 days if the other party is still injured then it transfers from a traffic case to a civil case and will go to civil court, which in itself is not a major problem, a small fine for the offence.

The problem as I am led to believe is that you are then the proud owner of a criminal record in Thailand, immigration are too happy with this and will probably be waiting outside the court to see you safely out of Thailand! Unless you speak nicely to the Thai police and hopefully it does not go that far (court that is), my thread on this forum is for information from anybody who may have suffered this experience, (how nicely will I have to speak to the police), if it still goes to court how long will I be out of country if I am expelled before they let me back in to support my Thai wife, and how much will it cost.

I am understandably a little bit upset over the whole incident, not knowing what is happening, or going to happen does not make the situation any easier.

Finally I am not saying that the accident was not my fault, everybody will normally claim it was the other guy, all I am saying is that as a the farang is involved nobody seems interested in whose fault it may or may not be, this does not help me or my wife if I am kicked out of the country for a traffic accident, (apparently accidents are only accidents outside of Thailand).

Please only answers or experiences in response to this thread, I really do not need peoples opinions of what they think should be the case.

Papa 2459

Hi

Anybody had the misfortune to be involved in an accident with a Thai motorbike? Doesn't matter where the blame lays as the Police are not interested in a statement from you, just whether you have insurance!

My interest is in the 21 day rule that applies to injuries, apparently after 21 days if the other party is still injured then it transfers from a traffic case to a civil case and will go to civil court, which in itself is not a major problem, a small fine for the offence.

The problem as I am led to believe is that you are then the proud owner of a criminal record in Thailand, immigration are too happy with this and will probably be waiting outside the court to see you safely out of Thailand! Unless you speak nicely to the Thai police and hopefully it does not go that far (court that is), my thread on this forum is for information from anybody who may have suffered this experience, (how nicely will I have to speak to the police), if it still goes to court how long will I be out of country if I am expelled before they let me back in to support my Thai wife, and how much will it cost.

I am understandably a little bit upset over the whole incident, not knowing what is happening, or going to happen does not make the situation any easier.

Finally I am not saying that the accident was not my fault, everybody will normally claim it was the other guy, all I am saying is that as a the farang is involved nobody seems interested in whose fault it may or may not be, this does not help me or my wife if I am kicked out of the country for a traffic accident, (apparently accidents are only accidents outside of Thailand).

Please only answers or experiences in response to this thread, I really do not need peoples opinions of what they think should be the case.

Papa 2459

Do you have Thai license ??? is the first question, as contray to what people say/think, this actually does make a difference in the eyes of the BiB.

A friend of mine clobbered a Thai national (who was incidently drunk, on the motorbike) and he was driving on a UK license in Thailand for many years. The BiB said they knew who was at fault..ie the motorbike..but seeing as he didnt have a legal Thai license, they sprung him for driving without a valid license..ie he was to blame.

The BiB involved told him if he had, had a Thai DL, then he would have walked away from this...suffice to say money changed hands and the problem went away...guess which license he carries now ???

I dont think even if goes to court and you are found to blame they will kick you out the country for a "traffic offense"

I stand to be corrected, if this goes to a civil court case, dont believe this would result in a "criminal record"...as a civil claim is to do with how much money you would be paying over...

Edited by Soutpeel

Just make sure you have the full insurance before you drive in Thailand and if you can take as many photo's of the accident as you can with your mobile to show your insurance & the BiB, but you should never sign anything you don't understand. Having the Thai driving license will be the most important thing as your insurance will not cover you with out one. I also don't think you would be deported for this in a civil court as its not a criminal court so no criminal offence. Its not always true that a Farang will always be wrong in a accident it all depends on the policeman at the time some good some bad and you just leave it to your insurance to sort out.

regards

Scotsman

Its not always true that a Farang will always be wrong

I'm glad that somebody came on here to help put this perpetuated myth to bed.

3 years ago a couple of pissed up Thai guys were racing their motorcycles in the oncoming lane, clipped together and one fell off right under my car. Took away in an ambulance battered and bruised but otherwise remarkably ok. The police rolled up, took a statement from me, took my details, checked my license, had a look round my car, dragged the guys motorcycle to the side of the road and told me they might be in touch. I called my insurance agent who said she'd find out from the police later what was going to happen. She called me back the next day and said "No action to be taken" I have to give credit where it's due but the cops just did their job in a polite friendly manner.

Haven't heard a word since.

Edited by mca

What i have heard is that motorcycles are more protected then cars if a car hits a motorcycle (thai or farang) the car is usually the one who will have to pay.

Its what i have heard i dont put this down as fact.

In my (admittedly limited) experience if it's completely cut and dried then the vehicle at fault shall be held responsible no matter if it's a bike or not.

My sister in law was in a left turn only lane at the traffic lights and as she turned a guy on a motorcycle came flying up her inside trying to go straight and T-boned her left wing. He was found to be 100% at fault.

Thanks to everyone for some useful replies, nothing actually clear cut. I will be getting a lawyer if it goes to court, insurance will covewr that, yes I have a Thai license, yes I have good insurance, (althoughthe insurance assessor when he arrived just told my wife (thai) to tell me to write it was all my fault in the statement block, not a chance on that one.

Have to wait now to find out what the Police want, whether to take it to court or not.

Thanks to all for the replies

Papa2459

Thanks to everyone for some useful replies, nothing actually clear cut. I will be getting a lawyer if it goes to court, insurance will covewr that, yes I have a Thai license, yes I have good insurance, (althoughthe insurance assessor when he arrived just told my wife (thai) to tell me to write it was all my fault in the statement block, not a chance on that one.

Have to wait now to find out what the Police want, whether to take it to court or not.

Thanks to all for the replies

Papa2459

good luck and hold out to get it properly sorted. i too was asked to sign something admitting fault by my assessor.

people on this forum have had both bad and good experiences. what they don't seem to get is that if they have had a good experience that doesnt apply to everyone ( and vice versa of course) they start talking of the myth of farang being wrong.

First of all the problem most expats face in a traffic accident is not knowing how to handle the matter - in reality, so long as you go about handling the matter the right way you are no more liable than a Thai would be in the same circumstances, are can expect to be treated in much the same way.

That ex-pats feel or find themselves always been at fault because they are ex-pats should not happen if things are handled the right way - and don't let the cops "blame" you if you feel you are not at blame - don;t give in - stick it out.

As for insurance - yes, insurance is a big thing: firstly, its an offense to drive in Thailand without it, you open yourself up to all sorts of liability and cliams, so make sure your insurance (and license) are in order.

Getting kicked out of Thailand? - has nothing to do with Immigration and I personally have yet to hear of a case in which Immigration have been standing outside a court waiting to deport a foreigner for a traffic offence or accident.

Communication communication communication ... is usualy the problem.

My understand has always been that if you are found quilty by a Thai Court of any crime regardless of how insignificant or minor, you will be deported!

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/ThailandVisa...lacklisting.htm

Best thing is to ask your embassy what to expect if you're found guilty then you can prepare?

At what exactly do you think the embassy is going to tell you.... :)

Based on the info the OP has provided, 1. He has a valid drivers license, 2. Valid insurance...it appears this is a civil claim, ie he has clobbered a thai national, and said thai national I suspect is looking for money whether for damage sustained, or medical bills etc....As a civil claim, yes the OP can be "convicted" in civil court, but this does not give him a criminal record, therefore highly unlikely he would be deported, he also states he has retained a lawyer, and pretty sure some "deal" will be struck before it ever reaches court.. :D

With reference to the example I gave in an earlier post..relating to a friend of mine, he was convicted of not driving with a valid license and guess what...? he is still here...never been deported and even has a Thai DL to boot these days....

Edited by Soutpeel

My understand has always been that if you are found quilty by a Thai Court of any crime regardless of how insignificant or minor, you will be deported!

When I worked in BKK I knew a teacher convicted of working without a W/P and he was just fined. I seem to recall it wasn't that much either. Something like 20k baht springs to mind.

- in reality, so long as you go about handling the matter the right way you are no more liable than a Thai would be in the same circumstances, are can expect to be treated in much the same way.

Exactly.

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/ThailandVisa...lacklisting.htm

Best thing is to ask your embassy what to expect if you're found guilty then you can prepare?

No truth to that at all - none what so ever - there may be examples of that with respect to certain criminal and civil offenses, that I won't dispute but a criminal or civil record does not automaticaly equate to deportation. If stickman said stick your head in the fire, would ? - nope. Stickman certainly has a lot of knowledge of Thailand and his website is a gold mine of some very useful and indeed accurate info, but on that point I must disagree.

I tell youwhat tends to happen in Thailand: have an accident with Thai and there is a good chance, because you are an ex-pat and percieved to have siginifant funds, that irrespective of fault, they are going to chase you for civil restitution - meaning "money" - but ultimately it is the court that decides that, it its up to the accused to challenge any claim made against them.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Just make sure you have the full insurance before you drive in Thailand and if you can take as many photo's of the accident as you can with your mobile to show your insurance & the BiB, but you should never sign anything you don't understand. Having the Thai driving license will be the most important thing as your insurance will not cover you with out one. I also don't think you would be deported for this in a civil court as its not a criminal court so no criminal offence. Its not always true that a Farang will always be wrong in a accident it all depends on the policeman at the time some good some bad and you just leave it to your insurance to sort out.

regards

Scotsman

I have an first class car insurance and 24 hour road assistance, and I don't have a Thai drivers license.

regards

Scotsman

I have an first class car insurance and 24 hour road assistance, and I don't have a Thai drivers license.

thats all well and good! but, when you hit a bike and the insurance company turn up they will want to see your Thai license, nd when you cannot show one, guess who gets to pay.

please take my advice and get a Thai license, you will be grateful if, no, when you have a problem.

regards

Scotsman

thats all well and good! but, when you hit a bike and the insurance company turn up they will want to see your Thai license, nd when you cannot show one, guess who gets to pay.

please take my advice and get a Thai license, you will be grateful if, no, when you have a problem.

I don’t believe this to be so and have only ever been dealt with in a the manner in which I believe any Thai would be dealt with given similar events (In BKK anyway) with just an Int'l license.

I’ve had two car accidents here, both not my fault.

1) I was turning right (indicator on) when a Mini van tried to over take me.

2) I wasn’t even moving and a taxi reversed out into the side of my car.

In the first event, police were involved, I refused to accept blame, when it transpired that the van driver had no insurance the decision was made by the police that we were each responsible for our own cars. I was driving on a UK licence (with an yearly renewable international licence from the UK) the police looked at my UK licence once and requested nothing more.

In the second event there were no police involved, the taxi said he had no insurance so I told him to get out of there before my insurance turned up. I told the insurance rep what had happened and that as the other guy had no insurance I’ll get the car fixed on my insurance. He wanted to call the police and locate and claim from the taxi driver who'd 'fled the scene' (albeit with my permission). I told the insurance guy to let it go and just let the claim fall on my insurance, it was a simple accident and everyone makes a mistake now and again (it was a simple mistake and not a result of reckless behaviour). Again I had a UK licence with a yearly renewable Int’l licence from the UK.

Even though I have not yet done so, based on what I have read on this forum I recommend that having a Thai drivers licence can only be a positive thing although I have not found it necessary in the past.

Edited by richard_smith237

Even though I have not yet done so, based on what I have read on this forum I recommend that having a Thai drivers licence can only be a positive thing although I have not found it necessary in the past.

Two points to consider on this arguement.

In Thailand,unlike the UK, its actually the car that is insured and not the driver.

As we know the BIB are not exactly Sherlock Holmes and their invesitgative skills leave a lot to be desired.

Therefore a farang presenting a IDP/oversea's license to the BIB, would be assumed to be a "tourist", therefore chances are they would get away with it for minor infringements...ie fender bender etc...

But hit and god forbid kill a Thai national and there is a "full" investigation, once it is determined you are "Resident" in Thailand, I am certain the issue of not having a Thai DL will come up and once its determined you dont have a valid Thai DL, you will automatically assume blame, irrespective whether you are to blame or not...

I really dont understand why Farangs in Thailand, who could get a Thai DL so easily, insist on driving on an IDP/Oversea's license and saying its ok or even "legal"...as believe currently a person is permitted to drive in Thailand on a IDP/license for a period of 3 months maximum after which they are required to have a Thai DL.

So therefore a Farang who is "resident" in Thailand who has all the doumentation to substantiate the issue of a Thai DL and still doesnt go and get a Thai DL is either:

1. Too lazy

2. Believes that the laws dont apply to them... :)

My advice...if you are "resident" in Thailand, go and get yourself a Thai DL, it could save you a lot of "pain" later on, at the very least you know you are 100% legal to drive in Thailand, + the added advantages of getting into a lot of dual price places for the same price as a Thai

Edited by Soutpeel

regards

Scotsman

I don’t believe this to be so and have only ever been dealt with in a the manner in which I believe any Thai would be dealt with given similar events (In BKK anyway) with just an Int'l license.

I’ve had two car accidents here, both not my fault.

1) I was turning right (indicator on) when a Mini van tried to over take me.

2) I wasn’t even moving and a taxi reversed out into the side of my car.

In the first event, police were involved, I refused to accept blame, when it transpired that the van driver had no insurance the decision was made by the police that we were each responsible for our own cars. I was driving on a UK licence (with an yearly renewable international licence from the UK) the police looked at my UK licence once and requested nothing more.

In the second event there were no police involved, the taxi said he had no insurance so I told him to get out of there before my insurance turned up. I told the insurance rep what had happened and that as the other guy had no insurance I’ll get the car fixed on my insurance. He wanted to call the police and locate and claim from the taxi driver who'd 'fled the scene' (albeit with my permission). I told the insurance guy to let it go and just let the claim fall on my insurance, it was a simple accident and everyone makes a mistake now and again (it was a simple mistake and not a result of reckless behaviour). Again I had a UK licence with a yearly renewable Int’l licence from the UK.

Does anyone else find it disturbing that in just two accidents both the offending drivers did not have any insurance?

Surely evidence enough of the need for decent cover in Thailand.

Edited by apetley

Its not always true that a Farang will always be wrong

I'm glad that somebody came on here to help put this perpetuated myth to bed.

3 years ago a couple of pissed up Thai guys were racing their motorcycles in the oncoming lane, clipped together and one fell off right under my car. Took away in an ambulance battered and bruised but otherwise remarkably ok. The police rolled up, took a statement from me, took my details, checked my license, had a look round my car, dragged the guys motorcycle to the side of the road and told me they might be in touch. I called my insurance agent who said she'd find out from the police later what was going to happen. She called me back the next day and said "No action to be taken" I have to give credit where it's due but the cops just did their job in a polite friendly manner.

Haven't heard a word since.

True. Last month I was driving down Sukhumvit on my bike and, wrongly, drove past the freeway exit near Sukhumvit 1. I saw a cop look at me then look away so assumed all ok. At the last minute he jumped into the road in front of me to stop me. I braked hard but as it had been raining I locked up. Dropped the bike and it hit his shin, albeit barely, and he nearly fell over. I had a little panic with visions of getting a beating and locked up. I pointed out to him, in my best polite Thai, that it was wet and that jumping out in front of me like that wasn't the best idea. He actually apologised to me and was extremely polite. He then checked my licence and fined me for going through a no entry. So even running over a police officer doesn't necessarily mean you will automatically get blamed and arrested.

Two points to consider on this arguement.

In Thailand,unlike the UK, its actually the car that is insured and not the driver.

As we know the BIB are not exactly Sherlock Holmes and their invesitgative skills leave a lot to be desired.

Therefore a farang presenting a IDP/oversea's license to the BIB, would be assumed to be a "tourist", therefore chances are they would get away with it for minor infringements...ie fender bender etc...

But hit and god forbid kill a Thai national and there is a "full" investigation, once it is determined you are "Resident" in Thailand, I am certain the issue of not having a Thai DL will come up and once its determined you dont have a valid Thai DL, you will automatically assume blame, irrespective whether you are to blame or not...

I really dont understand why Farangs in Thailand, who could get a Thai DL so easily, insist on driving on an IDP/Oversea's license and saying its ok or even "legal"...as believe currently a person is permitted to drive in Thailand on a IDP/license for a period of 3 months maximum after which they are required to have a Thai DL.

So therefore a Farang who is "resident" in Thailand who has all the doumentation to substantiate the issue of a Thai DL and still doesnt go and get a Thai DL is either:

1. Too lazy

2. Believes that the laws dont apply to them... :)

My advice...if you are "resident" in Thailand, go and get yourself a Thai DL, it could save you a lot of "pain" later on, at the very least you know you are 100% legal to drive in Thailand, + the added advantages of getting into a lot of dual price places for the same price as a Thai

I have to agree with everything you mentioned here, even the point of being too lazy to get a Thai License. I have also heard about the 3 month limitation.

It something I'll have to do soon. Although, getting the letter of residence / address from the Embassy, getting the medical etc.. seems like a lot of effort for a drivers license that lasts only one year.

I have to agree with everything you mentioned here, even the point of being too lazy to get a Thai License. I have also heard about the 3 month limitation.

It something I'll have to do soon. Although, getting the letter of residence / address from the Embassy, getting the medical etc.. seems like a lot of effort for a drivers license that lasts only one year.

It only last a year for the first year, then 5 years after that.. :)

It would seem that this thread is going on and on, and ultimately not actually turning up much in the way of useful information.

I have a Thai driving license, I have 1st class insurance, I have a Thai wife, work permit and company here in the sunny (some of the time) LOS.

I also have a figure of 50,00Thb to ensure this does not go to court, that is a lot of money to shell out for having an accident, the insurance only paid the injured party 30,000Thb! Rough justice I suppose.

I have spoken to a Thai lawyer on the subject, if he is to be believed then if it goes to court and I am found guilty then I get a criminal record as it becomes a criminal offence under Thai law apparently, I am not guaranteed to be thrown out, or asked to leave or whatever, but that option is still there, the lawyer tells me it is unlikely but each case is different and the outcome is beyond my control, he also told me that trying to renegotiate the amount might be my best option!

This brings me right back to my original query with this thread, does anybody know for sure the due process? Not ideas or suggestions, just hard facts, otherwise I am going to have to pay as I cannot afford the risk of being "kicked out" the amount of grief I would get from the wife would certainly not be worth it.

Papa 2459

Finally I am not saying that the accident was not my fault

Well why are you worrying about court cases, criminal records, deportation etc? Rather than denigrating the well meaning posters on this thread for a lack of "useful information" use a modicum of common sense and do what anybody else would do in a similar situation. Either claim on your first class insurance or pay the other party off if you don't want to make a claim. I mean, maybe I'm missing something deep here but the point of having insurance is if you're involved in an accident isn't it? That's what I bought mine for. Not so I'd just have a nice shiny certificate. It's hardly rocket science is it? :)

Edited by mca

Finally I am not saying that the accident was not my fault

Well why are you worrying about court cases, criminal records, deportation etc? Rather than denigrating the well meaning posters on this thread for a lack of "useful information" use a modicum of common sense and do what anybody else would do in a similar situation. Either claim on your first class insurance or pay the other party off if you don't want to make a claim. I mean, maybe I'm missing something deep here but the point of having insurance is if you're involved in an accident isn't it? That's what I bought mine for. Not so I'd just have a nice shiny certificate. It's hardly rocket science is it? :)

Firstly I do not denigrate anybody on this site, I merely asked for facts from people involved in similar situations first hand! Not from my brothers, sisters, mothers dog had an accident and I think this is what happened, or this is what I think should have happened.

Secondly, I always thought that if you have an accident and are insured then the insurance takes over and sorts out the little details for you, this is certainly the case in UK, unfortunately this is not so in Thailand.

The injured party has been paid, 30,000Thb has been agreed by the insurance and him, the police have not! They want considerably more than this to prevent it going to court, personally I would love to leave it all to the insurance but I guarantee you that the first time you are involved in an accident over here where an injury is involved with a Thai you are going to be UNpleasantly surprised at how the insurance deals with it.

Lastly before passing "derogatory" comments on my posts, I would suggest you read all the threads and my answers before criticising, forums arew there for people to exchange information and ideas, not there for people like you with too much time on your hands to use as your own little soap box.

Get off mine and anybody elses case, your comments are neither welcomed or warranted.

Papa2459

1) According to my "rich" Thai friends, the rich car driver will always be blamed for the "poor" bike driver's injuries; even if the car driver is Thai (has nothing to do with "farang" or whatever).

2) A motorbike crashed into my car's behind recently, and the driver was flung 4 meters but with no major injuries (!). For the record, the police blamed him and not me; and I was allowed to go and leave the scene without any "tea money" or similar. But yes, I was very polite in explaining my side to the police; while the Thai driver was visibly "angry" at me screaming and blaming me for breaking too quickly when the light turned red. The police even scolded him. No serious damage to my car, nor to him (thank God!); because then maybe it would have become another story.

Edited by junkofdavid2

First of all you need a Thai drivers licence to drive in Thailand, unless you are on a Tourist visa, then a proper international license with your home countries license will work. Second, if you have the misfortune to be involved in an accident, call your insurance company. They will send a rep out on a motor bike to adjust the claim, and their decision on who is at fault will hold with the police. If their are injuries involved, you are required to assist in any injuries and call for assistance. If the injuries are to a Thai National, and they have to go to the hospital, you and your insurance rep are required to go to the police station.

Barry

I guarantee you that the first time you are involved in an accident over here where an injury is involved with a Thai you are going to be UNpleasantly surprised at how the insurance deals with it.

Really. You guarantee it. I'll give the name and number of my broker then. She'll take care of you without having to involve the BIBs and you won't have to grease any palms either. Why do the police want to see you in court? Were you committing a motoring offense at the time of the incident? If not what are they going to charge you with? Having an accident? That'd be a new one. I'm not taking the piss. I'm genuinely interested.

Edited by mca

Here's some first hand experience of a traffic accident in Thailand, not sure how much help it will be to you in your situation.

I'm driving my motorcycle down the road, sunny afternoon, countryside. Thai woman on a motorcycle comes in the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road, I try to avoid her as much as I can but she manages to clip my foot and hand.

I'm in the middle of the road, injured, blood everywhere, get thrown into the back of a pick-up and taken to the nearest hospital. Police arrive at the scene, after I've gone, and examine the wreckage and immediately find the Thai woman 100% blameworthy. It didn't help that she was 3 sheets to the wind.

Following hospital treatment for about a week, the outcome was that we had an out-of-court sit down and agreed compensation to me, plus repairs to my bike. The BiB then took their percentage plus fined her a big chunk.

No court involved, no lawyers, most people happy, but I'm minus a digit on my foot.

• 4 weeks later...

Medical is only the first time, and it will be like this:

I went to a small clinic just outside the Drivers licence office.

The nurse told me that the examination costs 200 Bath I payed her.

Then I went straight in to see the doctor... He asked me one "1" question, Did you pay the nurse? with the answer "yes", I passed the Medical.

The Eye exam is more serious, its done in the Drivers licence office, but really well performed and not too hard.

For renewal after the first year, you only have to show up at the office with passport and drivers licence, took me 15 minutes from entering the building, till leaving with my 5-year licence, this was 2 years ago, somethings might have changed.

Regards/

Tommy