Limit On Cash

no one ever gets checked so we wouldn't know. but bring euro probably best to open an account to ut it in, you can get accounts at a few banks on a tourist visa, there are threads on this issue, but ayudha bank will open an atm deposit account instantly for you. best to be careful and not carry a bundle with you

From TAT:

EXCHANGE CONTROL

1. Foreign tourists may freely bring In foreign banknotes or other types of foreign exchange. Upon leaving Thailand, a foreign tourist may freely take out foreign means of payment in any amount.

2. For travellers leaving Thailand, the maximum amount permitted to take out without prior authorization is Baht (banknotes) 50,000 per person.

3. Foreign visitors may bring in personal effects and other goods which are not prohibited by current customs regulation. Other than personal effects. departing visitors are also allowed to take out merchandise bought from duty free shops, precious stones, gold and platinum ornaments.

4. Foreign visitors are welcome to open foreign currency accounts with authorized banks in Thailand

As a special gesture to nonresidents, no restrictions are imposed on the maintenance of and withdrawal from the account as long as the funds originate from abroad.

For additional information, concerning foreign exchange change regulations, please contact any authorized banks

From TAT:

EXCHANGE CONTROL

1. Foreign tourists may freely bring In foreign banknotes or other types of foreign exchange. Upon leaving Thailand, a foreign tourist may freely take out foreign means of payment in any amount.

2. For travellers leaving Thailand, the maximum amount permitted to take out without prior authorization is Baht (banknotes) 50,000 per person.

3. Foreign visitors may bring in personal effects and other goods which are not prohibited by current customs regulation. Other than personal effects. departing visitors are also allowed to take out merchandise bought from duty free shops, precious stones, gold and platinum ornaments.

4. Foreign visitors are welcome to open foreign currency accounts with authorized banks in Thailand

As a special gesture to nonresidents, no restrictions are imposed on the maintenance of and withdrawal from the account as long as the funds originate from abroad.

For additional information, concerning foreign exchange change regulations, please contact any authorized banks

Thanks for that - exactly what I wanted to read.

You also need to know the policy of your home country about taking large amounts of cash out with you.

Under the current circumsatnces of huge paranoia regarding terrorism and / or money laundering in general, you may find that you will need to prove where you obtained your cash from or risk it being confiscated until you can - something that UK Customs, for example, can and sometimes do actually do.

You also need to know the policy of your home country about taking large amounts of cash out with you.

Under the current circumsatnces of huge paranoia regarding terrorism and / or money laundering in general, you may find that you will need to prove where you obtained your cash from or risk it being confiscated until you can - something that UK Customs, for example, can and sometimes do actually do.

Do they actually check your wallet when leaving the country?ATM,Visa,checks,etc.,are also as good as cash so how can they differentiate or prevent one from using them for any amount?

I will be leaving the US with $30,000 in US cash and another $10,000 equivalent in other currencies.I thought one only had to declare it to Thai authorities if one wanted to take it back out again.

When I bought my condo I had to have proof from the bank that the funds did indeed come from somewhere other than Thailand. I had the money wired to my account at the Siam Commercial bank so I had no problems.

I would suggest to anyone who will be bringing money to Thailand to have it wired here from their home country bank.

Do they actually check your wallet when leaving the country?ATM,Visa,checks,etc.,are also as good as cash so how can they differentiate or prevent one from using them for any amount?

I will be leaving the US with $30,000 in US cash and another $10,000 equivalent in other currencies.I thought one only had to declare it to Thai authorities if one wanted to take it back out again.

Is there a limit on the amount of cash that you can bring into Thailand.  And as a foreign currency which would be better to bring. Euro OR Usd.

To be allowed to take the money out again, $US 10,000 and over ( or the equivalent ) must be declared. Are you planning retirement or marriage to a Thai here ?

I am planning to move out there permanently. Buy a house. Get a teaching job. And live the simple life. It seems now that there may be a snag with taking cash as I would have to prove that it came from outside the country when buying a house. So maybe the best thing to do is just wire the money over.

Actually on second thoughts as I am only taking about 20K Euro into the

country and I intend buying a house out in the sticks after I have lived there

for a year or so.

If I declare the cash at customs in BKK will they give me a slip/receipt of some

sort to say that I declared it and will this then suffice in buying a property.

Actually on second thoughts as I am only taking about 20K Euro into the

country and I intend buying a house out in the sticks after I have lived there

for a year or so.

If I declare the cash at customs in BKK will they give me a slip/receipt of some

sort to say that I declared it and will this then suffice in buying a property.

Where are you going to keep Euro$20,000 safe for a year before you buy the house??? Specially in the sticks!!!

You answered my question with a question hmmm anyway how about I tell you what flight I am coming in on and you can get a couple of wiseguys to mug me. On a more serious note I have two bank accounts already setup in Thailand.

LOL-Ballina. Can't be asred with transferring bank to bank. Something is bound to go wrong. As it's only 20K gonna take the cash - not heading permanently for some time yet 6mths or so. Heading off there tomorrow on a reckie so I will ask the customs at Bangkok.

Thanks for all your advise/help/comments/and laughs. AIB Ballina - that just cracked me up.

LOL-Ballina.  Can't be asred with transferring bank to bank. Something is bound to go wrong.  As it's only 20K gonna take the cash - not heading permanently for some time yet 6mths or so.  Heading off there tomorrow on a reckie so I will ask the customs at Bangkok.

Thanks for all your advise/help/comments/and laughs.  AIB Ballina - that just cracked me up.

Maybe there is a Bank of Ireland closer to Tobercurry?

What kind of muppet would carry 20K in cash when it can be easily transferred from Bank to Bank with minimal fuss and cost.

You say you can't be arsed with a bank transfer... is that because it is much more difficult than going to the bank to withdraw the funds in the first place?

Looks to me like somebody will have it off you in a second when you arrive here anyway.

Good luck.

What  kind of muppet would carry 20K in cash when it can be easily transferred from Bank to Bank with minimal fuss and cost.

You say you can't be arsed with a bank transfer... is that because it is much more difficult than going to the bank to withdraw the funds in the first place?

Looks to me like somebody will have it off you in a second when you arrive here anyway.

Good luck.

Erm The kind of muppet who brought 10K over at Christmas no problem. The kind of muppet who thinks 20K is not a massive amount. Me thinks you never came near 20K in your life fellow muppet.

What  kind of muppet would carry 20K in cash when it can be easily transferred from Bank to Bank with minimal fuss and cost.

Good luck.

Erm The kind of muppet who brought 10K over at Christmas no problem. The kind of muppet who thinks 20K is not a massive amount. Me thinks you never came near 20K in your life fellow muppet.

No doubt the mot will be able to look after the 20K :o:D:D

It is my understanding that leaving the US with any amount of more than $10,000 must be reported to the US Treasury.

The Treasury can and will from time to time 'search' passengers before boarding a particular flight.

However in reality I accept that this would be a fairly rare occurence.

Of all the flights I have taken out of the USA I have experienced this on one occasion.

Everyone on the flight in question was asked to show the cash they had on them at the doors of the plane by agent s from the US Treasury

• 3 months later...

'Scuse me while I piggyback on this one! :o

My (Thai) wife has suggested that she carry a large amount of $US into BKK with her for the purchase of our house there. I am very uncomfortable with that. She has had an account with Bangkok Bank for many years. I used to send money to their branch here in LA, which she could then withdraw from a BKK branch.

Wouldn't that still be the best way to go with a large sum of money?

Would there be any difficulty in proving that the funds originated outside of Thailand with that process? Would that even matter, since we would intend to spend much of it on the new house, and be using the whatever was left for additional purchases, and living expenses, once we move in?

I can't think of any reason not to use the Bangkok Bank process of depositiing here, withdrawing there. Am I missing something?