Who Makes The Quietest Air-con?

Every Thai and salesman I ask tells me something different, though the common threads seem to be a model or LG and a company called (forgive my spelling) Dicon.

I'm looking for something that doesn't make hardly any sound at all. The LG's I have in my current location sound like a small car engine running, though I'm told it's just the model.

What is your opinion?

Thanks.

When you said 'quiet', do you mean the fan coil unit (blower) or the condenser unit?

Seems like you are having a problem with locating the condenser unit, or poor sound insulation between the cooled space and the condenser unit.

Every Thai and salesman I ask tells me something different, though the common threads seem to be a model or LG and a company called (forgive my spelling) Dicon.

I'm looking for something that doesn't make hardly any sound at all. The LG's I have in my current location sound like a small car engine running, though I'm told it's just the model.

What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Gather as many leaflets of the different manufacturers as you can.In the technical section,you will find the sound (db) ratings for the for the indoor and outdoor units.The lower db is the quietest.

I'm very happy with the newer model LG's.

Currently it would be best to go for an "inverter" aircon model.

They can continuously control the speed of the compressor depending on the cooling demand. This takes away the sometimes slightly annoying pitch change in the indoor unit when the compressor kicks in on conventional A/C's.

And they are apparently more economical as well.

The other brand you mentioned is called "Daikin". They also do the inverter type A/C's.

More info:

http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/ai...t_s18awn4.jhtml

What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Gather as many leaflets of the different manufacturers as you can.In the technical section,you will find the sound (db) ratings for the for the indoor and outdoor units.The lower db is the quietest.

Basing a buy decision on just claimed technical specifications? OP is asking for real life experiences for the different makes.

Easier to just say which brands are bad, and select by elimination.

I had an LG (which came with disclaimer in manual that plastic noise was to be expected and not to complain to them - customer already made the mistake/paid) - never again - both inside and outside units noisy and plastic creaking and in side fan motor failing (twice) and compressor failing and starter failing. True not the current model so perhaps they have improved. Actually had to insulate the old outside unit to even be able to sleep. LG made my ban list.

Daikin is often mentioned as being quiet. I have two Panasonic 9,000btu units that are very quiet.

I had LG units, and they were very noisy (but cheap).

After staying with a friend who had an exceptionally quiet Mitsubishi (more expensive, but not outragous) I bought one of those - 18 months on it's fine (not exceptional). I'd buy one again. I've heard the most positive experiences about Mitsubishi and Daikin.

It's commonly accepted that Daikin sells the best aircons, the most reliable and the most silent also.

Daikin only REAL concurrence is Mitsubishi.

I hardly believe Thai when they believe (!) but I was one next to a Daikin compressor and didn't even know that aircon was turned ON, just to tell you how silent they are!

And if seems that the best buy is Daikin inverter aircon, because you never listen any "click" when the compressor starts or stops (compressor only stops when you switch off aircon with this kind of inverter machine).

i have Mitsubishi Electric, not to confound with Mitsubishi heavy duty sold in department store.

The Mitsubishi Electric is only available in design shops.

Good unit, expensive a bit.

Do get one who is adequate for your size room

i have Mitsubishi Electric, not to confound with Mitsubishi heavy duty sold in department store.

The Mitsubishi Electric is only available in design shops.

Good unit, expensive a bit.

Do get one who is adequate for your size room

I bought my Mitsubishi Electric from Carrefour.

I've heard many times of differences, but I don't know why and / or which one is better. Any Ideas Simcity?

Our large Saijo Denki unit in the bedroom is so quite that I can not hear it running at all. Even my wife who has younger better ears than me (of course) claimed that it was not running when we first switched it on. It's also very efficient and very cold.

Agree the Seijo Denki is quiet if not damaged - our indoor unit was messed up during original install many years ago and can make noise due case rub but normally good and the longest surviving unit we have.

I've heard many times of differences, but I don't know why and / or which one is better. Any Ideas Simcity?

I am bit surprise I only saw Mitsubishi Electric from Mitsubishi Electric shops.

I saw many units selling with Mitsubishi compressor or Mitsubishi heavy duty brand.

One other aspect (who could be discussed) brandname has different quality standard, I have been inform from friend working in one of them, items selling at department are not the same as brand shop.

When you enter a shop, look the aircond ’s name they using, most of them will be Mitsubishi Electric, more expensive to buy, but for me better and cheaper to run.

I am bit surprise I only saw Mitsubishi Electric from Mitsubishi Electric shops.

I saw many units selling with Mitsubishi compressor or Mitsubishi heavy duty brand.

One other aspect (who could be discussed) brandname has different quality standard, I have been inform from friend working in one of them, items selling at department are not the same as brand shop.

When you enter a shop, look the aircond ’s name they using, most of them will be Mitsubishi Electric, more expensive to buy, but for me better and cheaper to run.

Careful. Some locally assembled air-con using just Mitsubishi compressors can also carry the Mitsubishi sticker.

My GF has a Samsung unit in her shop that you wouldn't know is running. When its first turned on in the morning you can hear the indoor fan unit but as room cools the fan speed reduces and the only way to tell its running is look if vents are open. I have a couple Mitsubishi units that don't even compare although they are quiet. Perhaps its the 5 year newer technology her unit has.

The GF's Samsung indoor unit has noise levels of High/Low speeds of 37/27 dB. Your typical quiet room has noise levels of 28-33 dB and computers 37-45 dB to give you a point of reference.

I suggest you compare noise levels spec of the indoor unit of various brands and pick the one with low dB levels.

Also make sure you compare the same BTU size between brands. You will find that higher BTU units will have higher noise levels than smaller units but you must correctly size for space being cooled.

Edited by ballbreaker

What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Basing a buy decision on just claimed technical specifications? OP is asking for real life experiences for the different makes.

Easier to just say which brands are bad, and select by elimination.

Technical specifications on a manufacturer's leaflet are much more reliable than a 'salesman' telling you his units are the best in the Universe!Generally,the big manufacturers have made noise levels a priority over the years.In my experience,there is nothing between Mitsubishi,Daikin,Carrier,Samsung and LG.

We have LG aircons in the house and they are terribly noisy, one unit was replaced with a new one (both the fan unit and the outside unit) and it's just as noisy as before.

I stayed in a room with a surprisingly quiet aircon unit once and I made sure to look what brand it was and it was a Mitsubishi.

If I would own my own house I would consider Mitsubishi and not LG.

Your typical quiet room has noise levels of 28-33 dB and computers 37-45 dB to give you a point of reference.

EXCELLENT info right there. Looking at all these db levels doesn't mean much to me without a reference.

Thanks to all of you. Great replies in here. I read this morning and went out looking the better part of the day. Thanks again.

My personal experiences are:

Seijo Denki - I had 2 of these units in my old house and were very cool. After a couple of years the outdoor unit of the 13000 BTU aircon became a little noise but it was right outside my bedroom window. The larger 24000 BTU unit started leaking water (the indoor unit) and nobody could fix it.

In my new house I put Mitsubishi in all the rooms, I have found it to be ok but in 2 of the units the remote control sensor board failed in the indoor unit. This has now happened a second time in one of them. Otherwise it is quite good and reasonably quiet. If you think your aircon is not as cool as it used to be it may be worthwhile getting the gas refilled in the outdoor unit, it only costs about 400 baht.

What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Fujitsu is superquiet. Check the dB spec.

LG artcool is the most quiet in a real life test.

Simply put, you can only very faintly hear the airflow from the indoor unit. Absolutely no mechanical noise.

The outdoor unit you have to somewhat strain to hear, even with the compressor running and you are standing right next to it.

http://www.lge.com/products/category/usp/art%20cool.jhtml

Just go to your favorite aircon place and listen to the test units.