2005 Upgrade On Windows Xp

Humphrey Bear

I had my machine nicely set upwith very little spam in my e-mail accounts (thanks to the service provider's filters) and no drop-down windows with gambling ad's.

Last week I upgraded my Windows XP and the drop-down windows started up again. Now I can't get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

I had my machine nicely set upwith very little spam in my e-mail accounts (thanks to the service provider's filters) and no drop-down windows with gambling ad's.

Last week I upgraded my Windows XP and the drop-down windows started up again. Now I can't get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

Start your computer in safe mode (F8 when windows starts loading). Then do a deep system scan with Ad-Aware SE, then run Spybot S&D over it. After you finish with each program's scan, and have deleted the offending progams they detected, have Ad-Aware and Spybot immunize the computer. This prevents the same programs from affecting your computer again. That's what I did to my landlord's computer this morning and its fine now.

Anti-spyware tools are all over the place now, but try those two first and get rid of the problem before shopping around too much. I've tried most of them and those two in combination seem to give the best protection. And they're free so no worry about expiring shareware or paying anything up front.

There's a primer on computer security at the top of this forum with download links for these programs.

Remember to use these programs in safe mode when possible so they can delete these ad programs because in normal mode they are running and cannot be deleted.

cv

download the microsoft beta version of spyware, install, and run it, i had an add took over my main screen can't get rid of it, i ran adware,spybot but it still there, after running microsoft spyware it disapear.

I had the same happen. Thats why you use safe mode.

Microsoft is the last place I go for anything security related.

cv

download the microsoft beta version of spyware, install, and run it, i had an add took over my main screen can't get rid of it, i ran adware,spybot but it still there, after running microsoft spyware it disapear.

I had the same happen. Thats why you use safe mode.

Microsoft is the last place I go for anything security related.

cv

Well since i use all three of them i have no more problems. i can even go to cracks sites and download patches without them being able to install anything on my pc and me still getting the zip i wanted :o

microsoft is very good at scanning, Spybot is very good at blocking spyware in webpages ( install the guard though) addaware is getting worse every month, guess there's not enough support behind it.

Microsoft's beta scans the system every night completely and updates automatic, just like a virus scan.

+ i'm using mccfee enterprise edition wich does a really good job as well.

+ i have an external firewall for the rest of the network :D

What I find fun is matching up the various cracks and/or passwords for a particular product with the version of the product that you can download from the web. Quite often the crack/password is available for an old version but you can only find the latest version. Can be quite annoying - sometimes you actually have to pay for it :D:D:o:D:D:D

Note: I completely abhor all forms of software piracy and/or theft and the above post was just a joke. Really. <cough>

It is not illegal to visit a crack site

It is not illegal to download a patch

DarkNight did not say that he has installed the patches.  He a'int stupid.

:o is that illegal installing patches? Is it illegal in Thailand?

Can you point me to that legal link :D

What that have to do with the stupid? :D

According to the company who places advertising on our site (Google), its against their terms of service to offer, promote, trade, or direct people to carcks/warez sites on any site displaying their advertising.

That's why I'm such a prick about it here. This place don't run for free.

cv

We shall stand firm and protect the people right to freely browse the Internet, use the download and other (unrestricted) features... as well as freely express our minds.

... its against their terms of service to offer, promote, trade, or direct ...

There is nothing mentioned on installing, isn't it.

Nothing is for free... unless it is for fun.

Please, take it easy! :o

P.S. Ironically, as it may seemed, I've posted my comment in the first place, since can't elude the "stupid" part in your (or was it Thetyim) initial comment.

Edited by Condo_bk

According to the company who places advertising on our site (Google), its against their terms of service to offer, promote, trade, or direct people to carcks/warez sites on any site displaying their advertising.

cv

Quite right, cv......but (there's always a but, isn't there.)

Isn't Google violating their own TOS by displaying links to warez sites and crack sites, when one does a google search like http://www.google.com/search?q=spy+sweeper...G=Google+Search :o

Guess it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

:D

cv

Isn't Google violating their own TOS by displaying links to warez sites and crack sites, when one does a google search like http://www.google.com/search?q=spy+sweeper...G=Google+Search :o

:D

Report them, they get removed. :D

cv

cv

Isn't Google violating their own TOS by displaying links to warez sites and crack sites, when one does a google search like http://www.google.com/search?q=spy+sweeper...G=Google+Search :rolleyes:

:lol:

Report them%

Thanks, everyone.

I've been off-line for the weekend, but now that I'm back at work ......

I will follow your recommendations - I already have AdAware and SpyBot installed, but seldom use them - thought the Google toolbar would block everything.

And I didn't think of starting in 'Safe' mode.

Let you know later what has happened.

Well, I did what was advised and now I am almost back to normal.

The only problem now is a firm called 'Gain' who distribute pop-up advertising. I have been back to their web-site, where they tell me to un-install their programme through 'Control Panel / Add/Remove ' but as their programme is not listed there, I cannot do so.

For the rest, no other problems (except that this is Thailand, after all)

The only problem now is a firm called 'Gain' who distribute pop-up advertising. I have been back to their web-site, where they tell me to un-install their programme through 'Control Panel / Add/Remove ' but as their programme is not listed there, I cannot do so.

GAIN are scum, don't trust them (This is just my personal opinion). I had a machine infected with GAIN and the safemode w/ad-aware got rid of them.

Don't forget to innoculate the system after cleaning so that it can't come back (usually)

cv

GAIN are scum, don't trust them (This is just my personal opinion). I had a machine infected with GAIN and the safemode w/ad-aware got rid of them.

Don't forget to innoculate the system after cleaning so that it can't come back (usually)

cv

I did :D:D

It does :o:D:D

Edited by Humphrey Bear

cv

I did :D:D

It does :o:D:D

As a last resort, you can track the address that GAIN is serving the ads from and firewall it.

One day someone from GAIN or similar companies will meet a nasty fate at the hands of someone whose had enough. Think anyone will be upset?

I myself will toast the culprit and donate to his defense fund. :D

cv

Whilst Spybot and Adaware will usually get rid of this spyware/adware it is possible that you have still got one of the companies products on your computer. If so then everytime you go on the internet it will download an update,and you are back to square one.

Gain/Gator are distributed by Claria Products so it may be worth while checking if you still have any of their software running.

Products are:

Screen Scenes

Web secure alert

Dashbar

Weatherscope

Gator ewallet

Date Manager

Precision time

If you are using any of these, then using Add/Remove delete them from your computer and re-run adaware/Spybot to remove any lingering traces

If you are comfortable looking through the registry then you could also manually check using the information supplied by:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Gator.html

Edited by slimdog

Whilst Spybot and Adaware will usually get rid of this spyware/adware it is possible that you have still got one of the companies products on your computer. If so then everytime you go on the internet it will download an update,and you are back to square one.

Gain/Gator are distributed by Claria Products so it may be worth while checking if you still have any of their software running.

Products are:

Screen Scenes

Web secure alert

Dashbar

Weatherscope

Gator ewallet

Date Manager

Precision time

If you are using any of these, then using Add/Remove delete them from your computer and re-run adaware/Spybot to remove any lingering traces

If you are comfortable looking through the registry then you could also manually check using the information supplied by:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Gator.html

I've printed out the web-page, but have to do a few hours work now.

Off to Singapore tomorrow (five a.m. taxi) and will be there for the week. As I'll have time in the evenings - clients and sub-contractors permitting - I will give it a whirl and report back.

• 3 weeks later...
Use Adaware and Spybot but add Spysweeper too.

Well, I replied to this a few days ago, but the response has not appeared.

So, to repeat myself ...........

I came back from Singapore and re-ran AdAware and Spybot, plus Spysweeper for good measure.

But I also got to thinking if there was anything else I had changed before receiving the new sets of pop-up adverts, and realised I had installed Kazaa, following a friend's advice on down-loading music.

So I uninstalled Kazaa and other P2P software.

Haven't had any problems since. I assume that Gain had piggy-backed on Kazaa somehow and this caused the problem.

Now my only problem is staying connected for more than ten minutes at a time - I'm on a company network at work, and cannot stay connected. But that's mainly work, so it's up to my Thai computer expert (??!!) to sort it out. He's taken about 14 months so far, and the system deteriorates every time he touches it.