Ducati Thailand

thaieagle67

Well that's it. I went to the dealer in Thong Lor and after a lengthy and very good chat with the lads there decided on a standard 1100 Monster in Black! The 696 was too small for my height and the 1100s is too much gear unless your a Casey Stoner wannabe and at 110,000 baht more i just coudln't justify it. There wasn't a 848 to view but there was a beautiful 1198 in the showroom that was just something else but again I ain't no MotoGP/WSB rider so would probably scare myself s**tless on one of those!

As some of you told me, the lads at the dealer were geat and now i am looking forward to the bike being delivered at the end of the month. That L-Twin sure sounds the part when fired up. I got that excited about it all I even went out and brought myself a new AGV lid to match, marvelous!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got that excited about it all I even went out and brought myself a new AGV lid to match, marvelous!

Where did you buy the AGV?

I brought it from the Kawasaki Big Bike shop in Pattaya. They had a good selection of Ideal's, AGV's and Shoei's, although the later were well expensive but if you want quality then you have to pay for it. They have a small but reasonable selection of riding gear as well.

I got that excited about it all I even went out and brought myself a new AGV lid to match, marvelous!

I brought it from the Kawasaki Big Bike shop in Pattaya. They had a good selection of Ideal's, AGV's and Shoei's, although the later were well expensive but if you want quality then you have to pay for it. They have a small but reasonable selection of riding gear as well.

Which model AGV?

Well that's it. I went to the dealer in Thong Lor and after a lengthy and very good chat with the lads there decided on a standard 1100 Monster in Black! The 696 was too small for my height and the 1100s is too much gear unless your a Casey Stoner wannabe and at 110,000 baht more i just coudln't justify it. There wasn't a 848 to view but there was a beautiful 1198 in the showroom that was just something else but again I ain't no MotoGP/WSB rider so would probably scare myself s**tless on one of those!

As some of you told me, the lads at the dealer were geat and now i am looking forward to the bike being delivered at the end of the month. That L-Twin sure sounds the part when fired up. I got that excited about it all I even went out and brought myself a new AGV lid to match, marvelous!

Congratulations! You will have fun on that 1100 Monster. There's a few reasons Monster's have been Ducati's #1 bike the last 19 years. And yeah, the L-twin gets approving nods from just about everyone, including the BiB. :)

Which model AGV?

It's a K3 with a Rossi based design. It cost just over 10,000 baht, which is more than what you would pay in europe but I was high on life and it looks the business :)

Well that's it. I went to the dealer in Thong Lor and after a lengthy and very good chat with the lads there decided on a standard 1100 Monster in Black!
1100cc's huh? My man!  :D
Ok.

You only spent 10g on a helmet yet spent a million on a bike. :)

Which is more valuable? Your head or your bike?

I have spent at least 3 times as much for my helmet. :D

You have a point but I'm sure I remember reading (more than once) that very highly-priced helmets offer no greater protection than more moderately-priced ones. My Arai was 18k from Fast Corner but I agree that maybe a bit more than 10k should have been invested in the helmet.
That L-Twin sure sounds the part when fired up.
Were Termis already installed? If not, wait till you put those on.  :D
I brought it from the Kawasaki Big Bike shop in Pattaya.
Where exactly is that by the way? I'm in the market for a new lid. Maybe Arai or Shoei but I like the look of some AGV's. Edited by RusticCharm

Ok.

You only spent 10g on a helmet yet spent a million on a bike. :)

Which is more valuable? Your head or your bike?

I have spent at least 3 times as much for my helmet. :D

I don't really want to answer that question as my head must be mush after spending 720000 on the bike :D Your not joking about the helmets though, as they had some real quality Shoei's on sale and as you mentioned about 3 x more than the AGV. To be honest i already have a perfectly good Arai at home (something my lovely wife reminded me about!) but just had to buy the AGV cos of its colour scheme and plus another lad was waiting in the isle if i didn't take it on the spot.

Its not often you get the chance to splash out but after looking at the cost of some of the cars I had my eyes on, the bike and gear just had to done, rightly or wrongly. Can't wait to get out on the beast and enjoy dodging motorcycle food carts and rice paddy cultivators being driven down the open roads! Oh I just love Thailand :D

There's a few folks who would say my bike is worth more than my head. :)

I was just looking at AGV's on the net, they have some really nice designs - and less than Soumy, Arai, Shoei. There's no need to spend $600 on a safe helmet today. I have a Kbc, Snell / DOT approved, cost me $200 online and my brother brought it over (same helmet here is 12,000 baht at Dirt Shop). Okay, its a bit heavier, the shield is a PITA to change and not scratch or fogproof, but I have no doubt it will do its job if it comes to that.

I seem to remember that helmet prices in KL were about 2/3 of Thai prices, I'll be shopping around when I go down for MotoGP.

Rustic the Kwaka shop is on the left hand side of Sukhumvit road just past the Highway Police section heading south, not far before Homemart and the South Pattaya road junction. There are shelves of the cheaper models just inside but the Shoei and AGV's have their own stand near the clothing at the back.

I have asked about ordering the Termis but no feedback yet. I might get the first 1000km service out the way then have them installed........! I'll be getting pulled over by the BiB daily :)

There's a few folks who would say my bike is worth more than my head. :)

I was just looking at AGV's on the net, they have some really nice designs - and less than Soumy, Arai, Shoei. There's no need to spend $600 on a safe helmet today. I have a Kbc, Snell / DOT approved, cost me $200 online and my brother brought it over (same helmet here is 12,000 baht at Dirt Shop). Okay, its a bit heavier, the shield is a PITA to change and not scratch or fogproof, but I have no doubt it will do its job if it comes to that.

I seem to remember that helmet prices in KL were about 2/3 of Thai prices, I'll be shopping around when I go down for MotoGP.

I'll be down there to hopefully but unfortunately i don't have the available time to ride down and back before heading back to work, so its Air Asia's pleasure to fly me! Can't wait, i'm a huge Rossi fan but Lorenzo is giving it all he's got and it appears that Hayden may have got to grips with the Duke. I also always keep an eye on Khun Feem (Wilairot) on his PTT Honda. He had a great race cut short in the states but his time will come. As long as the rain stays away it will be great.

• 1 month later...

had a new Monster 1100 in red for 2 weeks now. After sales service from Khun J is fatastic. The sales guy was very keen to be buddy buddy but now does'nt want to know me now the sale has been made. That's fine...i have many friends already...just need to keep chasing him for the insurance and reg docs!

had a couple of Ducati's before and this is by far the best. Still breaking in so don't want to screw the engine but can feel the power between my legs :)

couple of minor irritations...

- get's REAL hot in traffic and at traffic lights. i live in Asok and being stuck at the Petchaburi road intersection for 2 mins is very uncomfortable. need to keep hopping from foot to foot!

- my balls got squashed in the stock seat...but changed that to the comfort seat which makes a big difference to my gonads

- she does'nt like being under 3k revs...so stop and start traffic is a bitch...jerky acceleration at low speeds..need to feather that clutch really hard. have a 14t front sprocket on order to ease that and termi slipon kit may help with fuel supply and smoothness (and that raped Ape noise is fantastic)

Love the admiring looks from the motorbike taxis....but hate being pulled over 3 times by the w@nking boys in brown.

• 3 weeks later...
had a new Monster 1100 in red for 2 weeks now. After sales service from Khun J is fatastic. The sales guy was very keen to be buddy buddy but now does'nt want to know me now the sale has been made. That's fine...i have many friends already...just need to keep chasing him for the insurance and reg docs!

had a couple of Ducati's before and this is by far the best. Still breaking in so don't want to screw the engine but can feel the power between my legs :)

couple of minor irritations...

- get's REAL hot in traffic and at traffic lights. i live in Asok and being stuck at the Petchaburi road intersection for 2 mins is very uncomfortable. need to keep hopping from foot to foot!

- my balls got squashed in the stock seat...but changed that to the comfort seat which makes a big difference to my gonads

- she does'nt like being under 3k revs...so stop and start traffic is a bitch...jerky acceleration at low speeds..need to feather that clutch really hard. have a 14t front sprocket on order to ease that and termi slipon kit may help with fuel supply and smoothness (and that raped Ape noise is fantastic)

Love the admiring looks from the motorbike taxis....but hate being pulled over 3 times by the w@nking boys in brown.

Ducati

I had my new monster delivered 4 weeks back and love it. The crap weather didn't let me out on it as much as i wanted but it was still a joy to ride when i did get the chance. Living down past Pattaya i have plenty of open roads so don't really suffer with the heat problem, although i must admit during a couple of trips into town she did start to heat up quickly. I have been pulled over so many times, not by the BiB but by admirers! I even had an old Thai army office ask to sit on the bike in one petrol station while his wife took photos.....cool.

It certainly is a head turner, especially with the Termi's fitted and the shortened arse end. So far i have stuck to the recommended rev limits, apart from one occasion when some lunatic on the dual carriageway tried to slam me into the centre barrier. The a***hole was even looking straight at me but just continued to move out into my lane! Anyway the immediate power from the L twin shot me past him and on to safety.

I am at work at the mo but will be taking it for its first service when i get back and hope to get my ugly mug on the Ducati Thailand web site!

I have had comments that Ducatis should only be in Red and i sort of agree but having ordered mine in Black i think it still looks the b****x! What do you reckon?

post-10566-1257655312_thumb.jpg

Did you go to the Bang Saen Bike Week yesterday?

If you missed it, Hua Hin Bike Week is 5th December. Riding down Friday (4th) afternoon. So far HyperRai & netfan and I are going. Still trying to contact Pdaz.

No unfortunately, i am at work outside of Thailand and have missed all the fun. I should be back for the Hua Hin Bike Week, although i was also thinking of taking the pain and riding up to Chiang Mai for the ride there. Because we can't use the toll ways i am looking at alternative routes to the one i take in the car (my missus is from the north), so the lenght and time of journey may persuade me to stick with Hua Hin. I'll let you know.

P.S That 848 of yours is 'kin gorgeous

I just sent an email to Chumphol at Ducati Bangkok, to let me know how much the DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100EVO SP will be and when the first delivery will be to Thailand?

I have a holding deposit ready to lay down.

I know this isn't the SP in the photo but I'm liking it already. http://hypermotards.net/

36%201100%20evo.jpg

Garry,

Great looking bike and the same engine as mine (although tweeked if its an EVO SP i'm sure). It's that single swinging arm again, they just look so good, just like the old VFR Honda's.

Let us know how you get on.

I just sent an email to Chumphol at Ducati Bangkok, to let me know how much the DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100EVO SP will be and when the first delivery will be to Thailand?

I know this isn't the SP in the photo but I'm liking it already. http://hypermotards.net/

36%201100%20evo.jpg

Garry,

Great looking bike and the same engine as mine (although tweeked if its an EVO SP i'm sure). It's that single swinging arm again, they just look so good, just like the old VFR Honda's.

Thanks thaieagle67,

I've been itching to ride the Chiang Rai-Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai road on a big bike for years. I just sold my Middle East 2004 R1 (bought new) and ready for fulltime riding in Thailand. So looking forward to the twisties up there. Even my wife is happy I'm buying it. With Ducati hopefuly opening up a branch in Chiang Mai in the first quarter of next year, I have even more excuses to ride down from Chiang Rai.

Cheers

Garry

36%201100%20evo.jpg

Garry,

Thanks thaieagle67,

I've been itching to ride the Chiang Rai-Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai road on a big bike for years. I just sold my Middle East 2004 R1 (bought new) and ready for fulltime riding in Thailand. So looking forward to the twisties up there. Even my wife is happy I'm buying it. With Ducati hopefuly opening up a branch in Chiang Mai in the first quarter of next year, I have even more excuses to ride down from Chiang Rai.

Cheers

Garry

Garry,

I am looking forwarded to getting up that way as well. My wife comes from Phrae and they have some great roads up to Nan, Lampang, CR, CM, etc. The road across the top between CM & CR is fun in the car, so it will be great on a bike. There is also a great back road (the 1023) from the North West side of Phrae provincial town across the mountains and then meeting with the road up to Chiang Mai.

The problem i have is getting there from Chonburi. With no access to the toll ways it will be a long journey and will deffinately have a case of sore rear end once i get to Phrae (even with the comfy Monster seat). A few Chang's and a good nights kip should sort that out though!

I can't wait to get back to LOS, get back on the bike and start to really explore the roads.

Edited by thaieagle67

Did you go to the Bang Saen Bike Week yesterday?

If you missed it, Hua Hin Bike Week is 5th December. Riding down Friday (4th) afternoon. So far HyperRai & netfan and I are going. Still trying to contact Pdaz.

Rustic,

Just wanted to know what was the best route to take from Chonburi to Hua Hin, cos if i can't ride down with you i may try and catch you up later! Your in BKK right?

Yep, I'm in Bangkok, just out past the Prapadang area across the river. See below!

Okay. Best route!

Unfortunately, you have to pass through Bangkok.

This is what I recommend if taking the BangNa-Trat highway from Chonburi.

At the end of the highway in Bangkok, you'll see signs BITEC/Samut Prakan/Prapadang (left) and Prakhanong (right).

Take the left turn off the highway and onto the Frontage Rd, pass BITEC and then turn left onto Sukhumvit Road.

You'll now be heading towards the Samorng/Samut Prakan area. This is where you'll face the heaviest traffic but it's usually not too bad.

Carry on for a few klms until the right turn toward Prapadang. Take this and you're now on Pu Chao Saming Rd going towards the river.

Carry on down nearly to the end. If you carry on down to the end, you'll have an option of crossing the river by taking the ferry over to Prapadang (the long way) or just before the end, take a left to get on the Southern Ring Road Bridge, (Saphan Wong Wan, the short way).

I'd recommend taking the bridge. Technically bikes aren't allowed on there but there are no toll booths and many bikes, both large and small, use it.

Once on the bridge take the left turnoff to Suksawat Rd. At the end, stay right to Dao Khanong (not left to Prapadang) and this will bring you out to Suksawat Rd.

Carry on along Suksawat a few klms and you'll see the sign for Rama II Rd on your left. Take this straight to Petchaburi/Cha-Am/Hua Hin.

Beware of the BIB stopping you if not riding on the Frontage Rd as bikes aren't allowed on the Rama II highway until reaching outer Bangkok. This part of the highway can be heavily policed at times but I've had only one attempted :) stop so far. The Frontage Rd is horribly potholed though so I say take your chances and stay in the fast lane on the highway.

I'd recommend finding the route on Google Earth/Maps to get an idea of the way. The only other way I know takes you through central Bangkok and you don't want that.

Cheers.

Edited by RusticCharm

Yep, I'm in Bangkok, just out past the Prapadang area across the river. See below!

Okay. Best route!

At the end of the highway in Bangkok, you'll see signs BITEC/Samut Prakan/Prapadang (left) and Prakhanong (right).

Take the left turn off the highway and onto the Frontage Rd, pass BITEC and then turn left onto Sukhumvit Road.

You'll now be heading towards the Samorng/Samut Prakan area. This is where you'll face the heaviest traffic but it's usually not too bad.

Carry on for a few klms until the right turn toward Prapadang. Take this and you're now on Pu Chao Saming Rd going towards the river.

Carry on down nearly to the end. If you carry on down to the end, you'll have an option of crossing the river by taking the ferry over to Prapadang (the long way) or just before the end, take a left to get on the Southern Ring Road Bridge, (Saphan Wong Wan, the short way).

I'd recommend taking the bridge. Technically bikes aren't allowed on there but there are no toll booths and many bikes, both large and small, use it.

Once on the bridge take the left turnoff to Suksawat Rd. At the end, stay right to Dao Khanong (not left to Prapadang) and this will bring you out to Suksawat Rd.

Carry on along Suksawat a few klms and you'll see the sign for Rama II Rd on your left. Take this straight to Petchaburi/Cha-Am/Hua Hin.

Beware of the BIB stopping you if not riding on the Frontage Rd as bikes aren't allowed on the Rama II highway until reaching outer Bangkok. This part of the highway can be heavily policed at times but I've had only one attempted :) stop so far. The Frontage Rd is horribly potholed though so I say take your chances and stay in the fast lane on the highway.

I'd recommend finding the route on Google Earth/Maps to get an idea of the way. The only other way I know takes you through central Bangkok and you don't want that.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. I'll take your advice and try google just to take it all in. I have decided not to go up to Chiang Mai until next year, or when the kids are next off school

Is there any info available on the HH bike week schedule, as trying a google search only seems to come up with dates 4th to 5th and photos from last year?

Okay. Best route!

Beware of the BIB stopping you if not riding on the Frontage Rd as bikes aren't allowed on the Rama II highway until reaching outer Bangkok. This part of the highway can be heavily policed at times but I've had only one attempted :D stop so far. The Frontage Rd is horribly potholed though so I say take your chances and stay in the fast lane on the highway.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. I'll take your advice and try google just to take it all in. I have decided not to go up to Chiang Mai until next year, or when the kids are next off school

Is there any info available on the HH bike week schedule, as trying a google search only seems to come up with dates 4th to 5th and photos from last year?

Rustic,

another question for you! Have you ever had problems with the BiB using the section of the 7 highway from the current Pattaya entry/exit (near the Regents school) off up to where the elevated Toll section starts(which we can't bloody use!) North of Chonburi. I have taken this route many times in the car but rarely seen bikes use it :)

I think that's the Chonburi Bypass Highway if I'm not mistaken. Apparently bikes aren't allowed to use that either but I've used it numerous times without any sign of the BIB. A lot faster obviously than going through Sri Racha and Chonburi but I hate the concrete slabbed surface.

Never seen any info on the HH Bike Week. For any year. But it's a good place for a bike week.

Edited by RusticCharm

another question for you! Have you ever had problems with the BiB using the section of the 7 highway from the current Pattaya entry/exit (near the Regents school) off up to where the elevated Toll section starts(which we can't bloody use!) North of Chonburi. I have taken this route many times in the car but rarely seen bikes use it :)

Last year I used that road every day commuting to work Joining in from the bypass 36 from Rayong. Several times I passed thru BiB road blocks with immunity, So I dont think there is anything to worry about.

Often passed old bikes with sidecars etc. Took a m/bike taxi from Pattaya once also. Other than the guy petrified at driving in the fast moving traffic.... and scared he couldnt find his way back again?? He was quite willing to take me.

The concrete surface is hel_l to drive on tho!!

Have Fun...Always.

Thanks guys,

I'll give the highway a go but will be wearing some passion killer pants underneath to try and soften the pain going across that concrete :) At least the Monster seat and ride helps a bit.

Rustic do you know where the main events are being held as i have booked a hotel at the south end of Hua Hin for my family, so may they can meet up with me later?