Which Tourist Visa Is The Hardest To Get- U.k, Oz, Or Nz ?

I asked this question a while back and never got any solid answers, so I'm just checking in to see if anyone has any opinions about which tourist visa is the hardest to acquire in terms of the visa ultimately being granted- UK, Australia, or New Zealand? My guess is that NZ might be the easiest, I guess cuz i never hear it talked about on thaivisa.

My gf is ultimately going to be applying for a U.S. tourist visa and wanted my gf to get those other Commonwealth countries' visas first so the U.S. guys have some evidence of her being legit. I already got Canada. thanks

Edited by Svenn

I asked this question a while back and never got any solid answers, so I'm just checking in to see if anyone has any opinions about which tourist visa is the hardest to acquire in terms of the visa ultimately being granted- UK, Australia, or New Zealand? My guess is that NZ might be the easiest, I guess cuz i never hear it talked about on thaivisa.

My gf is ultimately going to be applying for a U.S. tourist visa and wanted my gf to get those other Commonwealth countries' visas first so the U.S. guys have some evidence of her being legit. I already got Canada. thanks

The Thai embassy in Wellington, NZ, was pretty worthless. I studied their website, and called to ask to clarify a couple of points. In fact, I called three times and spoke only with two different people. Their response to my questions was always: "Everything on website." When I'd explain that a questions was not addressed on their website, their response was "Everything on website."

From everything I've read, I suspect the Honorary Consulate in Hull or in Perth would be a better bet.

The Thai embassy in Wellington, NZ, was pretty worthless........From everything I've read, I suspect the Honorary Consulate in Hull or in Perth would be a better bet.

Err....how can a Thai embassy or consulate help in applying for a UK, Australian, New Zealand visa? Or a visa to any country, except Thailand of course?

Svenn, it is difficult to answer your question. With all countries, if one shows one meets the criteria for the visa applied for one will get it.

Svenn, it is difficult to answer your question. With all countries, if one shows one meets the criteria for the visa applied for one will get it.

But certainly there are differences is acceptance/issuance rates for tourist visa applications between those countries. The paperwork for those 3 might be the same, I haven't checked, but I bet one of those countries generally requires more income or a more clearly defined career in Thailand on the part of the applicant than the others.

The thing is, I want to do the easy one first so the other two would have better chances of success (because they would see she got a visa for this other Commonwealth country and it's a kudos to her record).

Generally I hear a lot of b_tching about the U.K. tourist visa on this forum, plus it's a more populous country, so I'm going to assume the UK is the hardest. I'm going to assume NZ is the easiest because 1. i rarely see it mentioned here, and 2. it's much smaller country. PLEASE!! Somebody stop me if this seems wrong!! I know my luck, as soon as she applies I'll find a newspaper article: "NZ Embassy granting visas only for emergency travel" :)

Edited by Svenn

But certainly there are differences is acceptance/issuance rates for tourist visa applications between those countries.

Here are the statistics for the UK. I imagine that a bit of research will turn up similar figures for other countries.

Here is visit visa guidance for the UK. I imagine a bit of research will turn up similar guidance for other countries.

If she wants to visit the US, it seems strange to apply to another country first, despite the reason you have given. Does she intend to use this other visa? I imagine that obtaining a visa to a Commonwealth country and not using it may cause questions when she does apply for her US visa.

I would suggest that you first obtain the criteria for a US visit visa. If she meets them, then she should get it, if she doesn't then she wont; regardless of any other visas she may have got in the past.

Although I do accept that a previous travel history can be a positive factor in cases where they may be some doubt as to the applicant's intentions.

Previous immigration history can help however it may go against you.

Such as a client had previously visited her boyfriend in the UK, one year later she requires a fiancee visa for her now new boyfriend alarm bells ringing already. The ECO may believe her intentions are not honourable and she is simply trying to enter the UK by any means.

Sorry, I misread the OP's post. I've found the NZ embassy in BKK to be very helpful, easy to work with; but I'm a citizen there. Still, it's not crowded, you get answers quickly. I'd recommend it.

Thanks noahvail, that's good news to hear.

Here are the statistics for the UK. I imagine that a bit of research will turn up similar figures for other countries.

Here is visit visa guidance for the UK. I imagine a bit of research will turn up similar guidance for other countries.

If she wants to visit the US, it seems strange to apply to another country first, despite the reason you have given. Does she intend to use this other visa? I imagine that obtaining a visa to a Commonwealth country and not using it may cause questions when she does apply for her US visa.

I would suggest that you first obtain the criteria for a US visit visa. If she meets them, then she should get it, if she doesn't then she wont; regardless of any other visas she may have got in the past.

Although I do accept that a previous travel history can be a positive factor in cases where they may be some doubt as to the applicant's intentions.

Thanks 7by7 for the figures. Actually, we might not use the Commonwealth country visas if she gets them, but when she applies for the U.S. visa, I'll tell them we're planning a "round the world trip" and the U.S. is the first stop, which is true. We're both in our mid twenties and been to 12 Asian countries including Japan, so I'm hoping the visa officer views her as a backpacking hippy Thai rather than a bargirl is disguise (she doesn't have a job and I support her). I imagine it might look somewhat suspicious to have 3 unused visas in her passport, but the positive value of having them and the "round the world" justification seem like it will counter-balance that. Getting the U.S. tourist visa is not as simple as "meeting criteria" - I've studied U.S. immigration law and anyone on this forum knows there are in fact very amorphous and arbitrary standards you have to meet by varying possible means to get the visa, none of which alone or together may guarantee the visa. In short, it's a crapshoot. The U.K. system you're familiar with is probably much more organized and fair.

Edited by Svenn

Seems like a very convoluted way to go about getting a US visa. Is there a reason why she might be refused? Does she have a profession? Any qualifications? Those are always plus points. Not sure whether other (unused) visas will be an advantage, but then I've never asked for a US visa. My gf (now wife) applied for, and got, on her own with no input from me a month tourist visa from the Greek embassy (I live in Greece) with no problems. (Schengen Visa). But she is a qualified accountant, and had verification from her employer of this..

until a few years ago NZ had a reciprocal agreement with Thailand in which each country's citizems would get three months on arrival. NZ withdrew it because many thais were overstaying/working on it. However, the fact that they were willing to do this in the first place suggests NZ is probably the easiest.

i am a NZer

i applied for a visa for my GF based on partnership

provided all the info, but had it declined

we had been living together for 2 months but this wasnt enough to qualify as a relationship

all applications are submitted thru BKK but are sent to NZ for processing

It took 5 mths to get an outcome

took 2 mths for the enquiry to be assigned

for a general tourist visa it may be a bit easier

i would say Aus would be easier than NZ?