Abhisit Asks Airport Officials To End Malpractice Problems, Scams

george

PM asks airport officials to end malpractice problems, scams

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

“Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes,” Mr Abhisit said. “Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed,” said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with ‘broken metres’ and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time but maybe too little and too late. What about transferreing the local police chief to Nakorn Nowhere and arresting the Sri Lankan dirt bag, who claimed to be called Tony, who acted as the police go betweenin the King Power scams? He is bound to be guilty of work permit and visa offences as well as failing to pay income tax on his share of the extortion proceeds.

I fear that Abhisit is seen as such a weakling by all the crooks that their scams will be up and running again in two weeks.

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

Yes!!

But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Regarding the shoplifting scams, King Power should never in a million years been given the exclusive rights to have duty free shops at all international airports in Thailand particularly 100% at Suvarnabhumi.

Visit Changi and you will see perhaps 100 - 150 different outlets including at least one King Power.

On the taxis, again they should send a study team to Changi and they will see in one or two hours just how efficient (and honest) the sytems runs there.

If you enter Suvarnabhumi (through immigration) and just walking to the domestic check in counters you are hit dozens of times "with do you want hotel, do you want taxi" etc.

The place (Suvarnabhumi) sickens me to the core and I will if at all possible avoid the place by flying direct in & out of Phuket or Chiang Mai. There are still rip offs to dodge but (Phuket & Chiang Mai) are a thousand times better than Suvarnabhumi.

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

Remember Thailand runs on jai-yen-yen, hence the problem of not being tough and ruthless with scams and the criminal elements throughout the country . It is time that a no-tolerance policy (meaning one strike and you're in for the chop - not maybe / sometimes) was implimented and enforced.

But I just woke up and it must have been a dream - unfortunately.

About time but maybe too little and too late. What about transferreing the local police chief to Nakorn Nowhere and arresting the Sri Lankan dirt bag, who claimed to be called Tony, who acted as the police go betweenin the King Power scams? He is bound to be guilty of work permit and visa offences as well as failing to pay income tax on his share of the extortion proceeds.

I fear that Abhisit is seen as such a weakling by all the crooks that their scams will be up and running again in two weeks.

Totally agree, I watched the PM at Suvunabuhmi this morning on the TV, I can't understand much Thai yet but the body language on the Boss of customs said it all, he looked very uncomfortable. Only way to solve the problem is to clean the whole lot out....... and replace them all........but what would that solve, the next lot will be the same same only take a week or 2.

Two weeks??? Thats a long time to have a crack down. I reckon 3 days , tops.

My feeling is that Abi had been offended because his fellows British mention the story.

Abi is sooooooooooooooooo terrifying, virile, strong...

He'll give a warning. After 30 warnings , they could receive a reprimand.

In French we say "pisser dans un violon".

In English, I guess it's "raking water up a hill" or "herding cats".

Hot topic I think! :D

They should get rid of these offensive attitude of the so called TAXI-AGENTS !! :)

As a tourist you get afraid of these people!!

Also VERY VERY confusing is the 'limosine Taxi' boot inside and all these limo-agents!

Tourists tend to think that this is the only taxi there is, and don't get informed of more than 100 Bangkok taxi's with meter, waiting for yoy outside!!

Please kick these limo-guys out!! and give CLEAR info where tourist can get a normal taxi, for a normal price (on the meter).

Ciao

I agree.

"Mark" is much like Bill Clinton. Clinton was very good at introducing popular changes but the statements were purely made for the "feel good" effect. Clinton almost never followed up on his numerous "changes". Clinton's changes disappeared and a new one appeared the following week. It appears this PM is walking the same path. Soon it will be obvious that he is completely ineffective.

it will not help

just took a flight out of the airport and now they are introducing more rules

you need to take off your watch (be carefull where you put it and make sure it comes out at the other side)

you need to take out your belt (what the f???)

you cannot take out your shoes (strange as that is the norm in the US)

the staff is very unfriendly and if you comment on the stupidity of the new rule they are threating you for harassment ...

this is definitely not the LOS I remember when I first arrived 6 years ago

----

concerning the scams : as long as they allow those loose boundaries of the shops (no markings on the ground), the scams will continue

start with the basics and start marking the shops and allow space between them as a DMZ

my 2 cents

What about transferreing the local police chief to Nakorn Nowhere and arresting the Sri Lankan dirt bag, who claimed to be called Tony, who acted as the police go betweenin the King Power scams? He is bound to be guilty of work permit and visa offences as well as failing to pay income tax on his share of the extortion proceeds.

Agree.

Words from leaders are meaningless in SE Asia - no-one believes them. Only actions will demonstrate that this is anything more than piss & wind.

When the Sri Lankan dirtbag is in jail, & King Power has been shut down & its management tried, convicted & jailed, I will believe that the PM is serious about cleaning up the airport.

Until then international travellers would be wise to continue to route themselves around SVP.

Am I the only one that sees that after these things happen time and time again that Thailand just isn't ready to run with the big dogs yet? They are still a second world developing country trying to take matters that are too big into their hands. It screaming out of everything from education to medicine, tourism and politics. None of this surprises me.

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

Will not be good enough till the government arrest and charge some of these people who are part of scam and doing these criminal acts. Till them I will not put much faith in the process and will advise everyone to avoid King Power

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

This is pretty stupid excuse to be immoral and criminal

baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

if half of the 9000 expensive airport trolleys disappeared somewhere, clearly it's not the "pocketless" workers which can prevent theft, but the very top of the administration

So what about investigation, prosecution, jail time, retribution & compensation?

How serious is Thailand as a nation,

represented by the Prime Minister

in dealing with prevalent corruption?

In my view,

a high sounding newspaper article

about a Prime Minister edict

doesn't fix anything.

In an unrelated situation,

handling a Thailand necessary official task

I was given one option only,

Pay the Bribe.

By my modest means a BIG bribe.

When afterward I complained far and wide,

news traveled out and back,

so that higher officials decided to break the local system.

But the local official

who was caught and reprimanded by Bangkok superiors

still holds his position.

He just no longer is allowed to freely roam collecting bribes.

He is confined to his office.

That's right, plural, I wasn't the only business given one choice.

When I complained to my local associates,

they confided they also had paid the same amount,

to the same official for the same service.

My bribe was not returned, so where did it go?

To this day I suppose I could be thrown out of the country for making waves.

Let my chips fall where they may.

Aside from paying a Bribe, I'm clean.

Ridiculous criminal behavior in the showpiece national airport.

What will the world watch for next?

Just because Thailand will not think ill of itself,

nor imagine that anyone outside should

does not restrain the world from observing clearly.

The outside world watches for results.

Where are the arrest and imprisonment records for the perpetrators?

Using Bangkok's Airports since 1983 - first good ol' Don Muang now Suvarnabhumi

I confirm the scams and other "assorted malpractice" hasn't changed in all these years.

Every year an "official" announcement, a good PR- same same but different...

With all respect I have for Abhisit I doubt things will change soon....

:) one possible solution: for the love of LOS, reward very very generously and handsomely to whislte-blowers and provide them with witness protection programs when they report on these scammers. it may work miracles in thailand and miracles is just what thailand needs now to salvage her tourist industry especially with the peak season coming from around the corner any time soon. :D

Remember Thailand runs on jai-yen-yen, hence the problem of not being tough and ruthless with scams and the criminal elements throughout the country . It is time that a no-tolerance policy (meaning one strike and you're in for the chop - not maybe / sometimes) was implimented and enforced.

But I just woke up and it must have been a dream - unfortunately.

Who are you suggesting implements and enforces this? The authorities? They are the scammers.

All getting strict and heavy does is incarcerate the poor for misdemeanors.

Nothing will happen.

The only reason this is news is because people from democratic countries exercised their right to complain about being scammed. The democratic republic of Thailand does not allow criticism of any kind against the authorities (rather like other undemocratic countries) Thailand doesn't have any "Freedom of press" so should not be assumed a democracy.

Its all marketing just keep smiling, the tourists will keep arriving in their droves and appear to be doing something when foreign new agencies complain about Thailand.

OK ? Mai Phen Rai

So what about investigation, prosecution, jail time, retribution & compensation?

How serious is Thailand as a nation,

represented by the Prime Minister

in dealing with prevalent corruption?

In my view,

a high sounding newspaper article

about a Prime Minister edict

doesn't fix anything.

And when will the US government get serious about prosecuting those Wall Street crooks who caused this financial crisis of gigantic proportions? Or UK government. Banksters are running amok both in New York and London but still, they will receive their yearly bonuses no matter what! Pot calling the kettle black.

Most Farangs here have their monthly pension of 50000, 100000 or more Baths. That puts them straight to the upper class. Then it is easy to complain about corruption....

In French we say "pisser dans un violon".

In English, I guess it's "raking water up a hill" or "herding cats".

Pissing into the wind..........

comes to mind.

Never heard of the others. :)

The place (Suvarnabhumi) sickens me to the core and I will if at all possible avoid the place by flying direct in & out of Phuket or Chiang Mai. There are still rip offs to dodge but (Phuket & Chiang Mai) are a thousand times better than Suvarnabhumi.

Disagree... Phuket for sure is nothing better. The taxi-maffia charging you the double of the price for the same distance between the airport and downtown or one of the beaches! And then we have the red and yellow tuk-tuks, which are even worse. An unprecedented maffia, protected by the men in brown and [reportedly] the Governor! Arrogant, impolite and aggressive, they charge you the minimum price of 200 Baht for a ride around the corner and bring you where they want, NOT where you want! Just try to have an accident with them when they squeeze your car against the curbs by stealing your place or just try to park your car where they believe it's THEIR parking place (they flatten your tires and scratch your paint). No way you will ever be in your right and pay, you will, almost the price of a new red or yellow paintbox! Bah! Abbhisit, open your eyes and continue your crusade! At least the farangs will support you but you will get no votes from us because we are farangs...

The left-overs from Toxin! :)