Do I Have A Chance In Thailand?

Hello folks,

I am in my early 20s and am plotting a move to Thailand. I am currently employed in the finance industry, but I never went past high school (i.e. I do not have a college/university degree).

I understand that getting a job in the finance (or almost any other) field in Thailand without the knowledge of Thai, proper connections, and a degree is unrealistic, so teaching English seems to be the only viable option.

My two questions is: given my educational credentials (or the lack thereof), what are the chances of my securing decent employment in Thailand?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

LS

Is this post propelled by a small motor on a boat designed for fishing. Trooling???

###### Yes, and don't even think about getting a funky degree or worst ever a fake one as in the Land of Smiles you can hit the slammer. Now, at the ripe age of early 20's I would be very careful of my back side in lock up! Kid, you are lucky to be eating and have a roof over your head. I suggest one of two options. Save up about 40 million baht and retire at age 50 or buy some thai skin flicks and stay at home for a good pulling session! Sorry, but you seem to answer your own questions! :o

Edited by HumbleFlyer

Is this post propelled by a small motor on a boat designed for fishing.  Trooling???

###### Save up about 40 million baht and retire at age 50 or buy some thai skin flicks and stay at home for a good pulling session!  :o

That's very helpful, thank you. I will be heading down to the nearest adult store shortly.

It's dangerous to assume that someone heading to Thailand is necessarily going for the night life!

Any other takers? Come on, people. I am not a troll. A "no, you don't have a chance", or "they don't hire high school graduates" will do.

Now, at the ripe age of early 20's I would be very careful of my back side in lock up!  Kid, you are lucky to be eating and have a roof over your head.

If you have the chance to do it, why not. It depends on the situation. If you have the funds to "hold out" until you have the proper connections, job offer, etc. its up to you to give it a try. After all, you can't be left with less than you're born with (unless you perform a sex change here in Thailand, which is probably off topic now). I don't know your personal situation, so i'm not in a position to give you the proper advice, most likely only you can do that.

I myself am 22 years old and living in Thailand. I don't work here but rather get my income from the companies i've built in the past 5 years (many years of 18 hour days, let me tell you). I do occasionally get job offers from owners/representatives of Thai companies, but only after they know i have advanced skills in computers/networking and speak/write 5 languages fluently.

In short, you need to offer Thai companies something they cannot get from the average employee here in Thailand. Most likely only then will you be able to get a job without proper degrees.

Don't mind these naysayers like TQ, Lonestar.

You're in your early 20's? Man, you can't <deleted> up your life at that age!

I'd say "go for it"! Get one of those teaching certificates as see how you make out! :D

Best of luck. :o

Up to you, but I do believe you cannot get work permit without a college degree, which means if you do find work, it will be dodgier and lower paid (in a field which is already poorly paid).

And I do disagree.

You can indeed mess up your life in your 20's.

Young people think they have all the time in the world.

Time goes faster as you get older.

It is later than you think.

It is possible to get a WP without a degree, but like so many things here it's far, far, far easier said than done.

You'll get work, but you'll find it hard to be legit , so if you plan to make a career out of it here (or stay long term) think about doing some kind of degree course here in Thailand!

Good luck!

If you really want to live here, you can start by teaching English, living on a tiny budget for a while. See if you like it at all. After some time I believe you'll have a better picture of what you can and cannot do here.

I don't believe getting a long-term satiasfiable job in Thailand is very promising for you. Salaries are low for the lifestyle you are probably used to, and Thai companies are generally not so excited about hiring farangs as this is more complicated for them (fixing you a work permit, visas, not being sure you will stick to your job, language problems, etc.)

I believe you have no significant funds for investing in a business so this will not be easy to do as well.

Having said that, there are always exceptions. May be your previous employer will be interested to open a branch in Thailand? Or maybe you can think of a good business idea that does not require significant investment? Or maybe you want to ordain as a monk and live in a cave? :o (no budget required)

Best of luck.

Rainman is very wrong to tell you to go looking for a teaching job when you do NOT have the required background for this. You don't hold a degree in anything and the only jobs you might get won't pay very much at all and you can get into a lot of trouble if caught. Stupid to suggest it. Just shows how little you really know about this place Rainboy. Go back to school yourself, this place isn't the easiest to handle for grownups much likely kids still wet between the ears.

^ Actually you don't always need a degree to get a WP to teach here so Rainman is kind of right. I've also advised him that he will indeed be able to find teaching work here....'cos he will!

Teaching can be fun and easy (if you know what you're doing), it can also be hard work if you try to wing it.

why not do a tefl course in your home country whilst saving money, get some classroom experience & see if you can hack it, once you have enough to tide you over comfortably for 6months or so, start applying for jobs & see what happens. If it doesn't work out then no problem, you haven't lost too much but have lived for a few months abroad & if it does & you get a job, then great.

Your question was the chance of obtaining decent employment in Thailand which would mean a future above the survival level and that chance is slim. You might be able to waste a few good years here but that is about all you could hope for.

Naturally there are exceptions but your future should not be bet on it if you have any chance to advancement in your current position IMHO. Save your money to spend here - don't try to make it here without strong credentials.

Rainman is very wrong to tell you to go looking for a teaching job when you do NOT have the required background for this. You don't hold a degree in anything and the only jobs you might get won't pay very much at all and you can get into a lot of trouble if caught. Stupid to suggest it. Just shows how little you really know about this place Rainboy. Go back to school yourself, this place isn't the easiest to handle for grownups much likely kids still wet between the ears.

Do you have something against me or what is your issue? Calling me Rain'boy', calling me stupid, telling me to go back to school, etc. What's your problem? I never suggested he get a teaching job without the proper background. Read my first response again before you post insults like that without reason. :o

Now, at the ripe age of early 20's I would be very careful of my back side in lock up!  Kid, you are lucky to be eating and have a roof over your head.

If you have the chance to do it, why not. It depends on the situation. If you have the funds to "hold out" until you have the proper connections, job offer, etc. its up to you to give it a try. After all, you can't be left with less than you're born with (unless you perform a sex change here in Thailand, which is probably off topic now). I don't know your personal situation, so i'm not in a position to give you the proper advice, most likely only you can do that.

I myself am 22 years old and living in Thailand. I don't work here but rather get my income from the companies i've built in the past 5 years (many years of 18 hour days, let me tell you). I do occasionally get job offers from owners/representatives of Thai companies, but only after they know i have advanced skills in computers/networking and speak/write 5 languages fluently.

In short, you need to offer Thai companies something they cannot get from the average employee here in Thailand. Most likely only then will you be able to get a job without proper degrees.

Not a sign of you saying anything about him having the proper qualifications or even a decent backround (ie teaching on some kind of level) to do the job. I think it very bad for anyone to say go for it when, first, they don't have a clue of what any third world country is and then, to even suggest that he might be able to get a job that could support him in ANY kind of comfort is CRAZY. He would end up at the mercy of the employer and get paid SH!T and even run the risk of deportation. If you are going to give any information to people, make sure you know something about the subject FIRST.

AM I also wrong that you are the same guy that said you had gotten your girlfriend to say her "R's" and "L's" perfectly within a week or so of "teaching" her or being with her? Boy, you could really make some money if you can do that with ANY Thai. Are you teaching here or do you even know the requirements for teaching (legally) in Thailand? You need to "THINK" before you speak.

Ok so stupid was the wrong word to use, immature might be better. My appologises for using stupid, and really no attack meant.

Edited by Kringle

I really think you didn't read my first response and only advice in this thread correctly. This is what i wrote:

It depends on the situation. If you have the funds to "hold out" until you have the proper connections, job offer, etc. its up to you to give it a try. ...... I don't know your personal situation, so i'm not in a position to give you the proper advice, most likely only you can do that.

Don't you think this is the proper advice? Its not up to you or me to decide what the thread's poster wants to do, we can only help him with his decision, thats the most we can do. Everyone has a different opinion and i would expect that you can understand that not everyone has the same opinion.

Regarding the other things you wrote, yes my girlfriend can say the "R" and "L" correctly and i hope your partner can too.

And no, i'm not working as a teacher here in Thailand and i don't claim to know anything about it. Since you know/write so much about teaching, are you teaching here in Thailand? I sincerely hope not, because i would be worried about the kids you're teaching to with your attitude towards other people.

Nothing against you Rainman, but you state "PROPER" connections, job offer and such, and I just wonder how the he11 is he supposed to get this without holding ANY kind of teaching credentials. Are you suggesting that he should do this illegally?

How long have you been with your girlfriend? How old is your girlfriend and what education does she have? I know plenty of Thais that can't say their Rs and Ls correctly and they have doctorates. So are you telling me the gf can say combinations using Rs & Ls (brown,black,flipflop,railroad.....)

No, I don't teach here as I don't want to and don't have to. I do have a lot of people ask as I'm generally a nice guy but it just pi$$es me off when people give advice when they don't know anything about the job as far as requirements and what they might be able to earn. I do know a lot of teachers and can give SOME insight as I see these people on a daily basis and talk to them about such things. I am trying to help with a school here but only in the sense of providing teaching material and that is it.

Nothing against you Rainman, but you state "PROPER" connections, job offer and such, and I just wonder how the he11 is he supposed to get this without holding ANY kind of teaching credentials.

Provincially a TEFL might well be enough to get him legit!

Yes, but he will learn the joys of squat toilets, spicy mouse meat curries. and long third class bus rides.

Priceless.

And when his family bails him out and flies him back to farangland, his degree-less teaching experience will make an ironic entry in his resume for burger flipper.

I have to agree with most of the posts here. Chances for a young guy making a living here are slim to none. There are considerations like visas, insurance and the future to consider. The Thai government will NOT issue a work permit for any job a Thai can do. This is a GREAT place to retire with limited funds if you are over fifty. Even being over fifty requires either 800,000 baht in the Thai bank or 65,000 baht per month income from abroad or a combination of the two.

Teaching English is an exception but a poorly paid job for sure. You would have to be VERY well qualified to earn 30,000 baht per month. A retired friend of mine taught in Bangkok basically for something to do and also to supplement his small income. He earned 10,000 baht per month.

Work hard, save and invest your money and eventually your day will come. Mine did. :o

I just want to be clear that I know I sound kind of mean, but I am just saying what I think the reality is.

Personally, I think a native English speaker without a degree who got some teaching training, and sincerely wanted to teach has a fair chance of actually being a good teacher. But without the degree, it just doesn't sound like it is worth the hassle.

Edited by Thaiquila

Teaching English is an exception but a poorly paid job for sure. You would have to be VERY well qualified to earn 30,000 baht per month. A retired friend of mine taught in Bangkok basically for something to do and also to supplement his small income. He earned 10,000 baht per month.

Actually I'd say it's very easy to earn 30,000 Baht a month plus, with minimal qualifications (possibly none at all). I know many people earning 50k+ with no degree etc. It's not quite as bad as people make out IMO! If you're willing to put in the hours, and can 'sell' yourself well there's a fair bit of money to be made teaching IME!

I know well qualified teachers with rubbish jobs, and under-qualified teachers with excellent jobs...TiT!