Snow Leopard (mac) Release

tcris52

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For new clients retail price will be $129.

For existing Leopard users $29.

And for users who bought new MAC from 8 June till 26 December, 2009 with Leopard pre-installed, upgrade price will be $9,95.

As Apple Store (Thailand) shows it's price ฿1,190 and available from 28th August.

Can pre-order now.

Edited by Chaaang

So when will it be on new Macs bought here in Thailand as I am thinking of getting one shortly.

Probably on the official release date, August 28. That's Friday.

I'll pop down next week and see if they have put the price up!

Been using 10A432 for over a week. It is very nice and just seems polished and snappier as a whole. Well worth the upgrade. Don't forget to kick it into 64-bit Kernal by holding 6 and 4 during boot up.

The feature/fix I like the most not Grand Central not Open CL not Dock expose........The New Mail chime now works perfectly and always happens unlike previous versions. That fix alone for me is worth the upgrade price!

Edited by namoo

Been using 10A432 for over a week. It is very nice and just seems polished and snappier as a whole. Well worth the upgrade. Don't forget to kick it into 64-bit Kernal by holding 6 and 4 during boot up.

The feature/fix I like the most not Grand Central not Open CL not Dock expose........The New Mail chime now works perfectly and always happens unlike previous versions. That fix alone for me is worth the upgrade price!

Apparently not necessary (or even good) to load the OS in 64 bit mode. Following is a thread that went on in macbook@yahoogroups:

>>>>>Thread follows

The apps which are 64-bit are indeed running as 64-bit. So it's all

good.

G

On 29 Aug 2009, at 6:35 PM, Diana wrote:

> I was told that everything would run faster with the switch to 64-bit.

> I'm no Mac guru, I leave that to dh. It was just a point of interest

> that hadn't been brought up so I thought I would share.

>

> Diana

>

> On Aug 29, 2009, at 7:25 PM, Glenn Gutierrez wrote:

>

>> On 29 Aug 2009, at 6:13 PM, Diana wrote:

>>> I just installed Snow Leopard. I found out that 64-bit Snow Leopard

>>> defaults to 32-bit kernel when installed. I didn't see it

>> mentioned on

>>> the list so I thought I would post. Here is some information about

>> it.

>>

>> Yes, you can hold down the 6 and 4 keys on boot to switch to 64-bit

>> mode. But even in Snow Leopard's 32-bit mode, 64-bit apps can launch

>> and run. So there's no real reason to boot as 64-bit unless you're a

>> developer. Or for the moment, if you don't really want to run much

>> besides Apple's own apps.

>>

>> Did you have a specific reason to boot in 64-bit mode?

Just q quick note: bought my copies and installed it on three machines. There is a significant speed increase with startup times on all of them. Even without all the other new features, that alone was worth the 1200 baht cost. Although some users are reporting problems with Exchange functionality, I successfully added my company's Exchange based email account in Mail in about three minutes and it works flawlessly. At least I can ditch MS Entourage (what a dog that is) and access all my email accounts using Snow Leopard Mail.

Ordered from the Apple Store last Thursday, arrived this morning.

Mine was delivered today as well.

The Apple store here in Chiang Mai has them on the shelf. Myself and quite a few others had problems with the install disk. A lot of computers including mine failed and thought the disc needed to be cleaned. I ended up installing it from a portable harddrive at the Apple shop.

Not a bad idea to take your machine with you and make sure it installs okay.

BTW its noticeably quicker and smoother. Yee haw !!!!

If you your using Istat Menu accessory then the S.L. compatible just got posted... And its Free !!!!

Prolly a dumbass Q, but what will that actually do?

previous versions the CHIME u get for new mail has always been intermittent. So u get the dock display (1) but no chime other times u get it. they seemed to have fixed that at last. :)

Some say 64bit kernal will optimise memory usage and 64 bit written programs over the default 32bit kernal others say not.....

If you google it there is a lot of contradicting information. Which one is correct I have no idea. but cannot see any disadvantage of using it so far. evyerthing works as per normal for me.

Edited by namoo

previous versions the CHIME u get for new mail has always been intermittent. So u get the dock display (1) but no chime other times u get it. they seemed to have fixed that at last. :)

Some say 64bit kernal will optimise memory usage and 64 bit written programs over the default 32bit kernal others say not.....

If you google it there is a lot of contradicting information. Which one is correct I have no idea. but cannot see any disadvantage of using it so far. evyerthing works as per normal for me.

Cheers. Is there a benefit for you by running in 64bit mode?

and fwiw, no copies of SL are available for purchase in ALL of Pattaya. some say "sold out" others say "next week". truth is, not one Apple shop in Pattaya got any copies to sell. what a joke, we're going on 2 weeks after release.

this country is sad when it comes to technology.

but a lot of fun in other ways... :)

just order it from the thai apple store, see link above... free shipping anywhere in Thailand, and it was available from day 1.

I have it, bought at the CM apple dealer (it's not an Apple Store, which becomes evident if you need service, but I digress...), was all ready to install but then work interfered and I have to keep 10.5 until a bug in some software I am developing is fixed. Oh well.

and fwiw, no copies of SL are available for purchase in ALL of Pattaya. some say "sold out" others say "next week". truth is, not one Apple shop in Pattaya got any copies to sell. what a joke, we're going on 2 weeks after release.

I bought my copy at a Mac Cafe shop the first day of retail sale. The shop was packed and shop staff were handing out numbers for a queue. I was told that they would probably run out later in the day because: Mac Cafe had requested twice as many copies as Apple actually shipped to them.

Perhaps it's not that "this county is sad when it comes to technology" but rather "Apple is sad because they underestimated demand in Thailand and undershipped"

Perhaps it's not that "this county is sad when it comes to technology" but rather "Apple is sad because they underestimated demand in Thailand and undershipped"

no, i'm pretty sure this country is sad when it comes to technology. i've heard "underestimated" one too many times when it comes to this place.

Thailand not that bad compairing to Switzerland ... ordered SL on 24/08 and still nothing in my postbox today. Oops, yes the bill.

I'm still waiting the SL DVD.

Unfortunatey I'm in Switzerland for two month and I thought it was a good odea to order SL through Apple Switzerland. Next time I'll go straight to the MacZone Chiang Mai.

I can't believe there are shortages of software.. Really sound like apple messed up and was way too conservative with their estimates.

Maybe because this is the first time a major new release came out for $30, rather than the usual $129... looks like apple underestimated demand.

I bought my copy at a Mac Cafe shop the first day of retail sale. The shop was packed and shop staff were handing out numbers for a queue. I was told that they would probably run out later in the day because: Mac Cafe had requested twice as many copies as Apple actually shipped to them.

This is all very interesting. As I mentioned, I ordered mine from the on-line address that somebody included earlier. Ordered about 25 August and had it in my hand, at home, on 31 August. 1190 and free shipping. The shipper even screwed up the address label but it had the phone number intact. The shipper called and made arrangements to deliver to a work location on the same day.

I certainly can't complain about that service.

I certainly can't complain about that service.

oh for sure! i'm the fool for not ordering online. i actually went to buy it on saturday online (same place) and noticed shipping was sept 17-27. so, i decided to wait out until Monday. called iStudio yesterday. no have. have later. mai bpen rai.