Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

Re; M/c accidents on Samui.

Fortunately for me, a local pointed out the accident black spots some years ago.

Wherever a minor dirt rd. joins the main concrete ribbon, sand is drawn onto the concrete.

This turns the concrete into a skating rink..... most m/cs come to grief at these spots.

Be warned. :)

Thats good advise thanks, I've never thought of that.

Cheers mate

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should just remember the old adage -when in Rome do as the Romans do. And it seems the Brits are doing a pretty good impersonation of the Thais during Songkran, although minus the water. Although they beat us hands down with drinking and drinking related fatalities.

I travel the world (several countries) a year on business.

I have seen english/germans/french/aussie the list goes on, All behaving in a disgusting manner. You cannot stereotype one country for bad behaviour. It happens all over, Just the english seem to get the press more than others.

On my travels i have found only 3 countries i have the greatest respect for (regarding behaviour) sweden/austria and switzerland.

As for the others you pay your penny and takes your choice.

Utter crap

All moaning about the brits ( im not one )

All ive seen in 4 years living in Bangkok Thailand is Thais shooting eachother stabbing eachother ( repeatedly ) and chasing eachother down the street in gangs .....was the goon walking down my soi waving a gun about a Brit too ? get real u plonkers

In umpteen year's visiting Thailand I can only remember two occasion's when drunken Brit's have kicked off(same guy, Man U supporter), mostly they sing when pissed then fall asleep; I too have also seen many instances of Thai youth's & bar girl's fighting + the motorbike taxi war's.

Most nation's are represented when it comes to the ugly incident's that I've seen & it seem's to involve group's of young men boozed-up fighting over bar girl's.

In all that time I have had one altercation with an unwelcome ladyboy & I've been pissed many times!36_5_11.gif

Yep, avoid the English (unless you need some back-up in a fight of course); as for the Scotish, Welsh & Irish?

Don't you start on the Welsh or I'm going to become decidedly English and want to kick your teeth in

Together we can conquer the world (so long as we invite the Jock's)!6_15_11.gif

I have seen english/germans/french/aussie the list goes on, All behaving in a disgusting manner. You cannot stereotype one country for bad behaviour. It happens all over, Just the english seem to get the press more than others.

On my travels i have found only 3 countries i have the greatest respect for (regarding behaviour) sweden/austria and switzerland.

Most people have time for the Swiss!12_1_133.gif

Peecee you forgot the sarcasm smilie lol

Edited by cyb

A lot of negative comments here regarding British behaviour, as though that is solely responsible for the high incidence of tragic motorcylcle deaths in Thailand.

Well, I have lived in Thailand since 1997, and although I have seen drunken and dangerous driving I would like to suggest some additional reasons for these serious motorcycle injuries:

1). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand are unlicensed and unregulated. Most do not even operate from an office but from the pavement and pay a monthly "rent" to the police.

2). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand buy used and often crashed motorcycles from overseas in a stripped-down state. They imported as "spare parts" - to reduce inport duty - and re-assembed on arrival. They cannot be registered without payment of the correct duties, thus they are not legally registered. You may see a registration sticker on the bike, but this was "paid for" and is not authentic. You may pay for insurance, but there will never be a pay-back in case of accident due to this lack of registration.

3). Many of these re-assembled bikes have bent-frames, or are just not assembled correctly. Thus they do not handle properly, and in wet weather or high-speed manoevure they handle unpredictably resulting in loss of control. Additionally, after an accident in Thailand they are not repaired correctly, but simply touched-up and re-rented.

4). You may or may not be licensed to ride a motorcycle in your home country, or you may be licensed to ride a bike up to a 250cc bike. Motorcyle rentals in Thailand are supposed to check and require a correct license, but many times you will be able to rent a bike of any size without showing any license.

5). Motorcycle helmets are required in Thailand - but for the driver only. Thus although some riders may wear a helmet, the pillion passenger is usually not. It is common to see three or more on a bike, with only the driver wearing a helmet.

6). Although helmets are required, it is not considered necessary to require the strap to be fastened. Thus in an accident the helmet goes flying and offers zero protection.

7). Helmets are available for around 500 Baht, or less than £10. They are made of plastic, and are not rated by any crash protection agency. The offer minimal protection and are worse than nothing in many cases as they offer a false sense of security. Good quality helmets are not available.

I offer these facts in the hope that readers will have a fuller understanding of this issue. I in no way condone excessive regulation and the "nanny-state" that England has become, people should be responsible for their own actions. However, I also do not condone weak and corrupt regulation that fail to offer basic protection to the people from their own stupidity.

Shall we talk about jet-skis now?

I would like to suggest another reason for tourists (Brit, others, drunk or not).

The official Thai Highway code and Thai Traffic laws are not dissimilar from many EU and Western countries. Those of us living in Thailand or have been frequent visitors know the drivers living in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) accept the reality that driving and the Thai traffic laws and highway code are like "chalk and cheese". A big problem new tourists (or newcomers intending to live here) face is they do not realize the driving habits of the locals. Consequently they naturally are much more likely to be involved in an accident. Add alcohol to the equation and it is a very dangerous mix. A drunk is not likely to react quickly to "the anything goes" style of driving here.

I was here in Khon Kaen for a year before I got a m/bike and as an observer and pedestrian I was quite well prepared (but I still see things that take me by surprise after 3 years here).

Tourists have no learning curve and even the few who do check out Thai Highway code in advance of their hols are in for an unpleasant surprise (the Brits for example would think the main difference in UK and Thai traffic laws and highway code is in Thailand one is permitted to turn left on a red traffic light. Officially most other rules are the same as UK.

Tourists not wearing helmets are not helped by seeing so many tourists and locals on the roads not wearing them AND being advised by some renters "not necessary most Thais do not wear helmets" . Well the most Thais do not wear helmets on the correct lines (but an offence).

The rules aren't that dissimilar, however, the style is somewhere between Bulgaria and Macedonia in terms of obeying the rules.

Please feel free to print a copy of the highway code, I would be extremely interested to see it if it indeed exists. I presume it is based on Montana, Uzbek, Djibouti and Chilean codes because no would appear to know where it is from or what the rules actually are.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Yep, avoid the English (unless you need some back-up in a fight of course); as for the Scotish, Welsh & Irish?

Don't you start on the Welsh or I'm going to become decidedly English and want to kick your teeth in

Together we can conquer the world (so long as we invite the Jock's)!6_15_11.gif

Chwarae Teg boyo

Well Im English, and I dont cause trouble but I dont let people push me around either,I always show people respect intill they show me different English youths have got away with to much too long, poor child broken home ect, when you dont pay your council tax or for property, or crimes against the state they throw the key away, however if you give someone a kicking or blind them for life, it doesnt seem as serious to the law, just watch one of the UK police programs and see what sentances they got at the end, then watch the US version were they get 666 years and no sky tv or playstation 3, thats were the problem comes from no respect, English people dont get protection from the law unless there called Fred the shed. hense kids grow up wild thinking they can get away with anything, I hope a thai jail makes them think again.

I thought Thailand was safe intill I tuned into the English speaking channel in Pattaya, were western tourists bodys were being found on the beach and in bike accidents every other day. also the only trouble I saw was started by a German and another time by a thai.

If all us Brits are such beer swilling monsters as many try to point out, then you are fools if you believe that

Look at any rugby match either in the UK or abroad and you will find many Brits having a few beers while watching the match and - win or lose - they rarely, if ever cause any trouble.

Much the same goes for cricket and some other sporting events.

So where are all these beer swilling thugs? Who are they? Because it is dam_n obvious that many of us can get through life without many of the actions mentioned in previous posts.

Ah, wait. I am a Brit so I must be fooling myself?? I must be blind to almost every other Brit in Thailand who is going about sloshed out of their minds and beating the crap out of themselves and others.

The report does not even mention alcohol as part of the reason for any of these incidents. Alcohol as part of this topic was brought up by a TV member as yet another instance of Brit bashing and, of course, so many others have had to jump on the bandwagon and I wonder how many of those read the actual report before doing so?

Well, bash away. But remember there are also many other nationalities who can be every bit as obnoxious. And there are a lot of Brits who understand manners and good behaviour as is the same with other nationalities.

edit - typo

Edited by G54

I believe the OP was mainly a report of deaths due to accidents? How does bashing the British somehow evolve from motorbike accidents?

My patience and that of other mods is wearing thin here and if it continues the thread will be closed forthwith due to the distinct lack of manners apparent.

Peecee you forgot the sarcasm smilie lol

36_1_7.gif

Since most of them are social misfits or total wanke_rs in the first place, I advise that they stay home as they add nothing to this country. If you don't agree, just take a look around; it's obvious to all, except of course, those to whom I am referring. Sorry to many good Brits, as you are not all like most of these individuals. It sure seems like people who do not like or follow rules of civil behaivor like to come to place that also do not like to follow any rules except their own. TaTa.............

ps where did this custom of smashing food on the back of your fork come into play? You only need to look at the design of the fork to know how it was intended to be used. This custom make you look like a monkey that has discovered a new tool, but not sure of its use.........again, sorry Brits, but it is true.

Take pea-eating etiquette - the example often cited as the epitome of snobbish pointlessness. The etiquette books' "correct" method of eating peas (ie the middle/upper-class method) is to use your knife to squash the peas onto the convex back of the fork. The "incorrect" (working-class) method is to turn the fork prongs-up and scoop peas up with it, as though it were a spoon. The incorrect method is clearly more sensible, or at least more ergonomic, in that more peas per forkful are transported from plate to mouth - about 13 on average, according to my tests, as opposed to about eight using the socially superior squashing method.

Do you slurp your noodles?

WhTF dictates how someone eats their peas? That's as idiotic as dictating you must have mint jelly on your lamb. One culture is stuffy and controlling so their citizens find it necessary to blow off some steam; makes sense. In my area, I don't see much rowdiness so it could be the part of the country...or even the individual giving a particular country a bad name. I've seen Europeans and Americans, and Aussies all behaving badly. I was kind of amused at the UAE has an arrest law for bad behavior. I avoided flights through there (or I'd be in jail for life had my plane went through UAE)....come to think of it I should be jailed in my own country and Thailand, as well but here I am!

Edited by HYENA

Since most of them are social misfits or total wanke_rs in the first place, I advise that they stay home as they add nothing to this country. If you don't agree, just take a look around; it's obvious to all, except of course, those to whom I am referring. Sorry to many good Brits, as you are not all like most of these individuals. It sure seems like people who do not like or follow rules of civil behaivor like to come to place that also do not like to follow any rules except their own. TaTa.............

ps where did this custom of smashing food on the back of your fork come into play? You only need to look at the design of the fork to know how it was intended to be used. This custom make you look like a monkey that has discovered a new tool, but not sure of its use.........again, sorry Brits, but it is true.

Take pea-eating etiquette - the example often cited as the epitome of snobbish pointlessness. The etiquette books' "correct" method of eating peas (ie the middle/upper-class method) is to use your knife to squash the peas onto the convex back of the fork. The "incorrect" (working-class) method is to turn the fork prongs-up and scoop peas up with it, as though it were a spoon. The incorrect method is clearly more sensible, or at least more ergonomic, in that more peas per forkful are transported from plate to mouth - about 13 on average, according to my tests, as opposed to about eight using the socially superior squashing method.

Do you slurp your noodles?

WhTF dictates how someone eats their peas? That's as idiotic as dictating you must have mint jelly on your lamb. I've got to wonder about monarch control. Control freak culture extraordinaire! It seemed this snobbish etiquette control dictates the most inefficient way is the "highest" way. Not much different than the hiso BKK ladies who's kee doesn't stink. I see why they go to other countries and freak out...their own is stuffy and controlling...even how you eat your dam_n peas! Use a spoon with the peas; it makes far more sense to get them into your mouth! ...amazing; someone dictating how you eat your dam_n peas?

Incorrect. One should always have mint sauce, not mint jelly with lamb. Makes the world of difference. Jelly suggests bad breeding.

With regard to the peas and the fork. It is customary to eat with the fork faced downwards, but when faced with peas we have to reverse the position. This is accepted in polite society. It is the correct use of cutlery that seperates us English from the primates and the Americans.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

My patience and that of other mods is wearing thin here

And of most decent, law abiding, clean living, non-tattooed, respectful Brits too, I would imagine ..... we all know were this thread is going to go SBK.

Just close it now, it'll save quite a bit of angst.

Just take a look at British Farang at Songkran

In Thailand they feel there are no laws meant for them and go beserk

So maybe its not that Thailand is so bad

But that British tourist do not know how to control them selves

so the heading should be

BRITISH TOURIST THE WORST IN THAILAND

True: I had myself a resort during 9 years. I live in Thailand since 17 years.

I can confirm to have had the must troubles with British guests:

1. Disturbing others while drunk

2. Needed first aid after drunk-driving a motorbike !!

It is their attitude: Feeling "superior" to any situation.

The Scandinavian are the top-drinkers during holidays BUT they always are quiet and POLITE. They don't touch a bike.

So there is absolutely nothing to complain about Thailand BUT the behavior of some first time tourists misunderstanding the mentality and culture of the host. Thinking that the Land of "may pen ray" means "I can do what I want".

Pesche

I tottally agree. When I first visited Thailand 25 years ago, it was great no hassle no drunken Farangs (british) making a nuisance of themselves. And no I find that you cannot go anywhere with out some bloke wanting a fight and low and behold they are 99.99% British and of that you will find 99.99% are of english origin! Well I can only relate to my experiences and they were all english farangs causing hassle. I am not defending the other nations of Britain, cause I am sure they do there bit as well, So why is it that they behave like this abroad. Well a lot of them behave like this here in Britain to, maybe they should have a ban on them leaving the country. Or once in trouble for unruly behavour slap a passport ban on them!

Ok said my bit :) oh and there is that old saying when in rome do as the romans do? doesn't just apply to Italy you know its all over the world!

Posts and their reponses have been deleted. apparently a reminder of forum rules is in order

29. To not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

My patience and that of other mods is wearing thin here

And of most decent, law abiding, clean living, non-tattooed, respectful Brits too, I would imagine ..... we all know were this thread is going to go SBK.

Just close it now, it'll save quite a bit of angst.

And yes, I've had quite enough now.

//CLOSED//