American Grocery Items

Martian

Hi All,

I did some forum searching before posting this thread but to no avail, so here goes.

I am looking for things such as decaf coffee (Folgers crystals..instant preferred), shredded cheddar cheese to put on coney dogs, all beef hot dogs (such as Oscar Meyer) hot dog buns and grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on spaghetti (good meatballs would be a plus). How about Kraft Macaroni and cheese and other such American "comfort foods"??????

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Martian

Be grateful if you find a hot dog, don't get too crazed if its not exactly the designer dog you had in mind or the perfect coffee crystals you are used to.

You aren't in Kansas anymore so adapt and live with the pain.

Yes, you can get Campbel's soup, CheezWhiz, Kraft grated parmesan, Kraft Dinner, and cheddar cheese though you may have to do the shredding yourself. But that's part of the adventure of being abroad.

Jokes over, just look in big supermarkets in major centres.

Hi All,

I did some forum searching before posting this thread but to no avail, so here goes.

I am looking for things such as decaf coffee (Folgers crystals..instant preferred), shredded cheddar cheese to put on coney dogs, all beef hot dogs (such as Oscar Meyer) hot dog buns and grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on spaghetti (good meatballs would be a plus). How about Kraft Macaroni and cheese and other such American "comfort foods"??????

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Martian

Very few of the items, like the shredded cheddar and grated Parmesan (American Kraft brand) can usually be found at the Thai stores like Tesco or Hua Hin shopping mall, but nearly everything you mentioned (maybe not the exact brands but a close substitute) can be found at Villa Market. It is the only supermarket chain in Thailand that caters to foreigners and carries many American imported items that can be found nowhere else. Take plenty of baht with you though when you go...

The Villa Market here is located on the main road (Phetkasem) a few hundred yards south of the main traffic light, on the west side of the road in a small shopping center.

Hi Martian,

You might be able to get some of these at Foodland or Villa Supermarket.

The shredded cheddar cheese is available in a frozen pack at Makro.

The grated Parmesan is sold in Foodland but it is expensive (sorry I can't remember how much).

Best luck,

Tiger

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Martian

Why not just buy the cheese in blocks and use a grater, it's not rocket science and the cheese will be taste a lot fresher when you come to use it.

Why come to Thailand to eat the same rubbish that you had in the states, open your mind up to other foods and enjoy the experience, you never know you might actually enjoy it. The fresh chicken and pork are excellent so why not make you own meatballs?

I really can't see the point of travelling if you just want to eat the same "comfort food" as you are used to back home.

Why not just buy the cheese in blocks and use a grater, it's not rocket science and the cheese will be taste a lot fresher when you come to use it.

Why come to Thailand to eat the same rubbish that you had in the states, open your mind up to other foods and enjoy the experience, you never know you might actually enjoy it. The fresh chicken and pork are excellent so why not make you own meatballs?

I really can't see the point of travelling if you just want to eat the same "comfort food" as you are used to back home.

He never said that his goal was to eat hot dogs all-day every-day :)

I love Thai food, and I eat it pretty much for all meals, but once in a while I do get an urge for something special that I miss from back home. My advice would be the same as the others: Try Villa Market they have alot of western food, including Kraft.

If you are after good bread I would say "The Baguette" is the place to go.

For meat you should go to "Hua Hin Ham Bacon & Meat".

They have grated parmesan cheese (and whole pieces as well) in Tesco I'm pretty sure.

He never said that his goal was to eat hot dogs all-day every-day :)

But it sounded like it!

Try the 'All Inn Restaurant' for cheese and sliced meats etc, they have an excellent stock. The meals there are very good value as well and they also provide frozen goods for the lazy eaters amongst us.

Tesco's in Pranburi are now doing 'English Bread' along with other varieties and a plus is that all the vegetables and herbs etc are in English and Thai. So some of the 'interesting things' that I'm not so sure about I can now identify for cooking experiments and recipes.

Enjoy the food wherever you are; life is too blxxdy short to eat the same things all your life. Never experiment never Live!

I buy cheddar cheese (shredded) and Oscar Meyer hot dogs at Villa Mart in HH. If I remember correctly the Hog dogs are either 240Baht or 360 Baht a package (10dogs) depending on which ones you get. The shredded cheese is 240baht. They also have Kraft Macaroni and cheese in several varieties, three cheeses, alfreddo etc. The only thing I haven't been able to find is chilli, so I could make a chilli dog.

Happy eating

BT

Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies and useful information. My Thai wife just visited Villa market in Hua Hin and made a report to me that most things I want are there but as she said "scary prices"..lol. I expected this would be the case.

To clarify what has seemed to become a side debate: I know I am not in Kansas anymore, I've lived in Thailand for over 4 years from 99-04 and just returned in February for another extended stay so I have acclimated to the local cuisine....a long time ago. I was searching for items I termed "comfort food" that I can enjoy occasionally, not survival or sustenance food. There's nothing wrong with wanting a taste of your favorite home country's food from time to time.

Yes, it was over 300 Baht for a pack of all-beef hot dogs at Villa in HH. As for the cheese, I will gladly grate it myself, if I can find cheese of the same type. I currently have a block of grated cheddar from Macro in the freezer but it just doesn't taste close to the same as cheddar back home.

FYI-The best (adequate) hot dog I have found to date is at 7-11. It really isn't too bad for what it is and I am generally pretty picky about hot dogs and such. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the texture and taste.

Thanks again to everyone...much appreciated!

Martian

I ignore the ones who go on about eating local food. Usually they've been here 6 months and haven't yet learned what it means to miss food. I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and while I love Thai food and eat it regularly, certainly don't want it for every meal.

Anyway, all beef hot dogs in Villa? Seriously? Probably not Hebrew National tho? Don't think they'd transport well to Koh Phangan, but if they are available then perhaps our local imported foods supermarket would bring them in. Whats the brand?

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Martian

an elitist, snobby response. If he likes it why can't you let him enjoy it? We are all not native like you.

I ignore the ones who go on about eating local food. Usually they've been here 6 months and haven't yet learned what it means to miss food. I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and while I love Thai food and eat it regularly, certainly don't want it for every meal.

Anyway, all beef hot dogs in Villa? Seriously? Probably not Hebrew National tho? Don't think they'd transport well to Koh Phangan, but if they are available then perhaps our local imported foods supermarket would bring them in. Whats the brand?

Had an English buddy who visited me in Thailand. He had spent time in the U.S. and learned to appreciate a good hotdog. On the way back from airport we stop at a 7-11 knockoff and he oders a hot dog and freaks out when they begin to cut it up and put in a back with a toothpic, "No, no, no! That is not what you do with a hotdog!!!" Took forever to calm him down. Took him to 7-11 where they pretty much know the score.

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Martian

an elitist, snobby response. If he likes it why can't you let him enjoy it? We are all not native like you.

My remarks were not intended to be 'elitist or snobby' and I apologise if you saw it that way. I love food of all kinds and was just trying to be practical. I am not as you put it 'native'. Please see my other remarks re where to buy good quality cheeses etc.

I might even try a 'hot dog from 7-11' now, so thanks for the info. As somebody once said "Life is too short to stuff a mushroom", so let us all enjoy ALL kinds of food and I apologise once again if my remarks gave offence to anybody.