Nice Suburb For Family With Good Airport Access?

ivygirl

Ladies and Gents,

We may be spending a year in Bangkok -- a natural hub it seems -- so my husband can launch his company's business in SE Asia and Africa. I'm trying to get a feel for what our life would be like/what the package would have to be to make it an option worth considering. He would need to get an office somewhere in Bangkok (and presumably some employees) and he would be travelling a good amount, so proximity to the airport is important. Although we've travelled extensively (including a round-the-world year a few years back), we've never actually taken residence abroad. We've always travelled low to the ground and love local food, local hang-outs, etc. BUT...we now have two small children (4 and 2). Even though I don't want to go to another country and feel like I've never left California, I think the suburbs are probably best so we can get a big house in a safe area with a garden and (at least access to) a neighborhood pool. I would like to live in an area with lots of expats, but I don't need something as wholly expat as Nichada. Access to restaurants and the necessities of life is pretty important (though not necessarily western restaurants, we eat alot of Thai food as it is). International schools also matter, but since our kids are little I'm not as concerned with our kids going to the "very best" school. Our housing budget I expect would be (what I consider) generous -- $3000-$5000 USD/mo. We'd like something in the 300-400 sqm range, big enough to comfortably accommodate our family, a maid and out of town guests, but not obscene.

The questions:

1) If it were you, where would you live and where would you open an office? Is there a part of town that has lots of "office parks" where it'd be easy to set up shop? We'd have total flexibility so I'd like to take advantage of it. Again, proximity to the airport is a big deal.

2) Would you need a car and driver in that area? I commuted daily in Los Angeles where everyone drives like a maniac, so I know my way around the road but some big cities (like Saigon, for example) would be out of my league. I wouldn't be driving around central Bangkok. And, no, I can't read Thai road signs!

3) Does anyone have any links to negotiating favorable expat packages? I've been surfing and not having a lot of luck.

Many thanks to anyone who has thoughts on any of these questions! :)

Ladies and Gents,

We may be spending a year in Bangkok -- a natural hub it seems -- so my husband can launch his company's business in SE Asia and Africa. I'm trying to get a feel for what our life would be like/what the package would have to be to make it an option worth considering. He would need to get an office somewhere in Bangkok (and presumably some employees) and he would be travelling a good amount, so proximity to the airport is important. Although we've travelled extensively (including a round-the-world year a few years back), we've never actually taken residence abroad. We've always travelled low to the ground and love local food, local hang-outs, etc. BUT...we now have two small children (4 and 2). Even though I don't want to go to another country and feel like I've never left California, I think the suburbs are probably best so we can get a big house in a safe area with a garden and (at least access to) a neighborhood pool. I would like to live in an area with lots of expats, but I don't need something as wholly expat as Nichada. Access to restaurants and the necessities of life is pretty important (though not necessarily western restaurants, we eat alot of Thai food as it is). International schools also matter, but since our kids are little I'm not as concerned with our kids going to the "very best" school. Our housing budget I expect would be (what I consider) generous -- $3000-$5000 USD/mo. We'd like something in the 300-400 sqm range, big enough to comfortably accommodate our family, a maid and out of town guests, but not obscene.

The questions:

1) If it were you, where would you live and where would you open an office? Is there a part of town that has lots of "office parks" where it'd be easy to set up shop? We'd have total flexibility so I'd like to take advantage of it. Again, proximity to the airport is a big deal.

2) Would you need a car and driver in that area? I commuted daily in Los Angeles where everyone drives like a maniac, so I know my way around the road but some big cities (like Saigon, for example) would be out of my league. I wouldn't be driving around central Bangkok. And, no, I can't read Thai road signs!

3) Does anyone have any links to negotiating favorable expat packages? I've been surfing and not having a lot of luck.

My advise would be Summerkorn (sp?) Village which is an up-market housing estate next to the Bangkok Outer Ring and Airport link road. It is a nice well-established residential area, no industry or workshops in the village so is quite peaceful. It has a mix of ex-pats and wealthy Thais, so you can buy Western products and the local shops and markets will be used to foreigners if if their language skills are not up to much. Lot's of big family houses, swimming pools, tennis courts etc. But it is very much a Thai-oriented area compared to Nichada. Your budget will find you a nice place in Summerkorn.

Summerkorn is on Ramkhamhaeng road in Bangkapi district. Because it is next to the Outer Ring it extends the possibilities of your husband finding office location. Since the airport is quite new, the office park facilities have not yet developed in that part of town. It would be preferable to have a car and a driver can be found at low-cost. Public transport is not up to much. However every taxi driver in BKK knows of Summerkorn.

The downside of Summerkorn is that there is heavy commute traffic on that side of town. Having said that, everywhere in Bangkok is gridlocked. It's an unfortunate part of living here. My village (moobarn) is not far from Summerkorn, but I would recommend Summerkorn as a better place than mine.

There is an International School called Ruamrudee just 15 minutes by school bus. My daughter went there and it was absolutely first class. She got a great education there. You will hear many bad things about schools in Thailand. Ruamrudee is an exception, in my opinion. The school would be reason enough to live in that area.

If you'd like more info, drop me a PM. And welcome to Thailand

Edited by NCFC

The area I live is moobarn Tararom which is on the other side of the ring road at Ramkhamhaeng Soi 150. The airport access from here is really easy (I travel a lot too) as you can use the back road instead of the highway. Never taken me more than 20 minutes to the terminal. There is a variety of house styles as there are free zones as well as developer estates. 2 International schools are close by and there is a purpose built kindergarten within the village that has just opened. Access to the ring road is very easy from this side so travelling downtown you can avoid a lot of the traffic by using the tollways. Not many expats though, mainly wealthy Thais. 2 leisure centres within the estate with pools, gym, tennis etc. as well as a 24 hour minimart, a pharmacy restaurants, local food takeaways, hair salons and a vet practice. Very quiet area lots of greenery and wildlife.

Usually a few houses available for rent, all are detached with walled gardens.

PM me if you want more information.

Edited by colte

Ladies and Gents,

The questions:

My advise would be Summerkorn (sp?) Village which is an up-market housing estate next to the Bangkok Outer Ring and Airport link road. It is a nice well-established residential area, no industry or workshops in the village so is quite peaceful. It has a mix of ex-pats and wealthy Thais, so you can buy Western products and the local shops and markets will be used to foreigners if if their language skills are not up to much. Lot's of big family houses, swimming pools, tennis courts etc. But it is very much a Thai-oriented area compared to Nichada. Your budget will find you a nice place in Summerkorn.

Summerkorn is on Ramkhamhaeng road in Bangkapi district. Because it is next to the Outer Ring it extends the possibilities of your husband finding office location. Since the airport is quite new, the office park facilities have not yet developed in that part of town. It would be preferable to have a car and a driver can be found at low-cost. Public transport is not up to much. However every taxi driver in BKK knows of Summerkorn.

The downside of Summerkorn is that there is heavy commute traffic on that side of town. Having said that, everywhere in Bangkok is gridlocked. It's an unfortunate part of living here. My village (moobarn) is not far from Summerkorn, but I would recommend Summerkorn as a better place than mine.

There is an International School called Ruamrudee just 15 minutes by school bus. My daughter went there and it was absolutely first class. She got a great education there. You will hear many bad things about schools in Thailand. Ruamrudee is an exception, in my opinion. The school would be reason enough to live in that area.

If you'd like more info, drop me a PM. And welcome to Thailand

That is enormously helpful, thank you. It is also nice to hear of folks have good experiences with the international schools. I will PM you when things move forward a bit. Thanks again. And sorry I'm not good at this quoting thing!

The area I live is moobarn Tararom which is on the other side of the ring road at Ramkhamhaeng Soi 150. The airport access from here is really easy (I travel a lot too) as you can use the back road instead of the highway. Never taken me more than 20 minutes to the terminal. There is a variety of house styles as there are free zones as well as developer estates. 2 International schools are close by and there is a purpose built kindergarten within the village that has just opened. Access to the ring road is very easy from this side so travelling downtown you can avoid a lot of the traffic by using the tollways. Not many expats though, mainly wealthy Thais. 2 leisure centres within the estate with pools, gym, tennis etc. as well as a 24 hour minimart, a pharmacy restaurants, local food takeaways, hair salons and a vet practice. Very quiet area lots of greenery and wildlife.

Thanks! sounds interesting, but can't find much info online.

Thanks! sounds interesting, but can't find much info online.

I have a house at Tararrom Village Ramkamhaeng soi 9, just to warn you that ramkamhaeng road is always at a crawl during rush hours