Problems Playing Video Clip File

marquess

Dear all I have just downloaded the latest Dr Who episode, unfortunately it won't play in with the latest version of window media. I keep getting the error message that: "Windows could not play the file one or more codecs required to play the file could not be found". Can any one tell me which CODECS are required and where to go to find them?

The codec required depends on the video. Media player isn't all that helpful, since it doesn't actually tell you which codec it requires. Use this to find out which codec is required, and where to get them:

http://avicodec.duby.info

Media player (the one included with windows) has a lot of limitations. You should try Media Player Classic (do a search). It also plays Quicktime and Real Video files.

Or you can just download a "codec pack", complete with media player classic:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

(get k-lite mega codec pack)

Edited by Firefoxx

I have just download, something on Real Player, DVIx or something like that. It plays but the picture is wonky and seems to be paying out of sequence with the sound. Could this be due to downloading the wrong code???

Hi,

You have 2 solutions:

- use a media player that comes with most codecs included, VLC media player being one. (I never tried Media Player Classic recommended by Firefoxx.)

- download and install Video Inspector here, and analyze your video file with it. Then you will know which codecs you need to play your file, if they are installed already or not, and where to get them if they are not installed.

Edited by yeti

You could try this web site mate www.free-codecs.com

everything is free on this site .

you could install k-lite codec pak,which covers just about everything you'll ever need .

by the way k-lite codec pak has nothing to do with kazza or other p2p systems it just a name they gave it .so your p.c will not be filled with shitty spy wear or addware

hope this helps.

oh i forgot to say that windows media player is pretty shit .

as said above install divx player www.divx.com and you could also try winamp .with these 2 players you should be able to play just about everything .

Edited by hibernian