Kanchanaburi Gets New Border Checkpoint

george

Kanchanaburi gets new border checkpoint

KANCHANABURI: -- The National Security Council (NSC) has approved the opening of a new border checkpoint in Thailand's western province of Kanchanaburi, the province’s deputy governor, has revealed.

Mr. Thurdsak Karnasuta said that the new checkpoint in Baan Phu Nam Ron, in the province’s Muang district, would be opened for cross-border trade in agricultural and seafood products with Myanmar every Friday from 09.00-15.00hrs.

The border checkpoint will be officially opened once an agreement has been struck with the Myanmar authorities.

--TNA 2005-03-14

does this mean that one can get a passport stamp there for 'visa run' purposes?

Nothing yet regarding this. Some of the existing crossings into Myanmar does not accept passports, only border passes (e g Thais only).

But would be good for Bangkok and central based people.

If you can get a stamp at this post in the future what a God-send. Save all the <deleted> around going all the way over to Aranya Prathet!

Pleaes, please, please let this be a "proper" immigration crossing!

And I'll add a 'PRETTY PLEASE' to that. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Kanchanaburi gets new border checkpoint

KANCHANABURI: --  The National Security Council (NSC) has approved the opening of a new border checkpoint in Thailand's western province of Kanchanaburi, the province’s deputy governor, has revealed.

Mr. Thurdsak Karnasuta said that the new checkpoint in Baan Phu Nam Ron, in the province’s Muang district, would be opened for cross-border trade in agricultural and seafood products with Myanmar every Friday from 09.00-15.00hrs.

The border checkpoint will be officially opened once an agreement has been struck with the Myanmar authorities.

--TNA 2005-03-14

To the best of my Knowledge there should be border crossing and passport control. A lot of people are investing in land along the route as there are rumours of Hotels for gambling across the Burmese side. I am also led to believe that Taskin is investing in this area although that is only gossip at this point. I knew of this crossing a long time ago, in fact i informed my local immigration office of it as they were totaly unaware (bless) There is supposed to be a deep sea port already constructed on the Burmese side with a road link to the border to allow for overland shipping. The Burmese side was said to be finished and set to go several months ago, when i met the Thai guy who had the contract for the road construction on the Thai side he said he was just awaiting the government go ahead.

What I find strange is that there's already a road from the border crossing point at Bong Thi that goes to the Burmese seaport of Tavoy. Baan Phu Nam Ron is very close to Bong Thi.

I would've thought that Bong Thi would be the best place to open the border for intl. crossing as it's already established as a local crossing point

:o

Edited by Gazza