High Flier Boy, Passport or Not?

churchill

That is great news that someone is doing something positive.

I hope they make it work for the young man.

But

Whats with the local FISHWRAP that some call a newspaper, " The Nation"

Even after it has been pointed out that his paper plane could not have stayed in the air for 12 MINUTES, but rather 12 seconds, the fishwrap rewrites the article to update the story info and still makes the same minutes/seconds mistake.

Come On Sutichai Yoon...... get on the stick already....... Can't you afford to pay people who can read, write and most important THINK

Just as an aside, the interior minister ...... is he Red Shirt associated or what party affiliation ???

I just back tracked on some of the posts and see that he has now been given permission to go to Japan,,,,,,,, I guess there was too much heat on the non think putz Int Min.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From same article "Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said yesterday if the boy wanted to compete in Japan, he had to represent Burma as a Burmese national.

Mong was born in Thailand to Burmese migrant workers and has been refused Thai citizenship.'

Perhaps he could represent Burma and Thailand, and it would send a 'peace' message of sorts. All this nationalist posturing that's endemic to SE Asia winds up painting its citizens as paranoid and infantile. Do we see such posturing between Belgium and Holland, or between Sweden and Norway, or between the US and Canada? No, we see such silly nationalistic paranoia between the Koreas, between China and Taiwan, between India and Pakistan, ....what is it about Asians that they can't find ways to get along?

Anyhow, the on again / off again decision by the ignoramouses at the top appears to be leaning to allowing the boy to travel. Let's see how many more times they flop and flip.

Stateless youth 'flies high', represents Thailand in Japan's origami contest

BANGKOK, Sept 3 (TNA) – A 'high-flying' 12-year-old stateless Myanmar youth has been granted permission to represent Thailand at an international origami aircraft contest in Japan, after Thailand’s interior ministry made a U-turn from its earlier decision denying such permission.

The ministry on Thursday submitted an urgent letter to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Bureau, permitting the agencies to proceed with issuing a travel document to the boy, whose case has become celebrated in the local media.

The young man, known as Maung, was born in Thailand to Myanmar migrant labourers. As is usual in such cases, he was denied Thai citizenship since his parents are Myanmar migrants. Born here, he is also denied citizenship in Myanmar

'Nong' Maung, a student in a primary school in the northern province of Chiang Mai, won Thailand’s national paper airplane contest and was invited to compete in Japan's Origami Airplane Association competition September 19-20.

The interior ministry refused to grant him an official certificate to travel overseas, saying it had no authority since Maung’s parents are Myanmar migrants who entered Thailand in 2004 and are registered as foreign labourers.

Provincial Administration Department chief Vongsak Swasdipanich said the ministry's approval has nothing to do with mounting public pressure.

He insisted that Nong Maung still holds status as a child born to foreign migrants awaiting repatriation to Myanmar in February. Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said the ministry’s legal affairs department had thoroughly studied all legal aspects to prevent other stateless people to use the boy’s case as an example to launch a similar move.

"I want to thank all Thais who give me an opportunity to join the contest and I will do my best," the stateless boy said to reporters in a cheery mood before meeting Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

He folded an origami plane and gave it to the prime minister, saying he loved him and thanked him.

The prime minister said Nong Maung's case and citizenship problems will be a case study and he will personally look into both education and health insurance concerns. (TNA)

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=11632

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 03/09/09

"I want to thank all Thais who give me an opportunity to join the contest and I will do my best," the stateless boy said to reporters in a cheery mood before meeting Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva."

No pressure there then! But, a right and proper decision IMHO!

FF

Provincial Administration Department chief Vongsak Swasdipanich said the ministry's approval has nothing to do with mounting public pressure.

He insisted that Nong Maung still holds status as a child born to foreign migrants awaiting repatriation to Myanmar in February. Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said the ministry’s legal affairs department had thoroughly studied all legal aspects to prevent other stateless people to use the boy’s case as an example to launch a similar move.

Please can someone explain this ^&%$#%^& BS comment for me?!

thx

I've always been puzzled by the worry concerning a "security threat" in these kinds of cases, particularly when we'retalk about a 12-year-pld kid, for pete's sake, after all.

But maybe there are legitimate concerns, so I'll turn to the U.S., my country of birth and still legal residence to exemplify this.

I'm from Texas, where there are thousands upon thousands of immigrants, including a great many illegal ones, the majority coming from Mexico.

We (Americans) may have legitimate gripes about different proposals to deal with the issue, proposals ranging from a "Berlin Wall" from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean, for starters, to creating a way even for those already illegally present to get legal status of some sort (whether such status allows application for citizenship or not, but a legal status -- maybe a guest-worker one).

Now, if we want to put this into a local crime context, one form of security, then yeah, sure, there are concerns. Any group that large is likely to include criminal types, whether said group has legal status to be in the country or not. Immigration officers don't have a role in preventing burglaries, robberies, rapes, murders, thefts, etc., not per se. Nor do immigration agents have a responsibility for apprehending perps of such crimes. In other words, if a foreigner legally present commits a crime, then he's a problem for the police, not ICE (the Americans' Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency). Yes, a court might -- I think -- order such a person's deportation eventually, such as after he's served time, and after stripping him of his legal status. And then he does become the responsibility of ICE.

What about *national* security? I would suggest that virtually no immigrant, legal or illegal, is likely to give the CIA, NSA, FBI, etc. any genuine concern on that score. After all, most illegals who work end up in jobs work in areas such as agricultural (secret ways to grow tomatos on a small family farm have national security implications? Spare me.) Or construction, as service personnel (waiters/waitresses, housekeepers, gardners, and the like).

Then there's the issue of who'll do the job Americans don't like if we build a Fortress America? Contrary to some folks' contentions, it sometimes seems literally impossible to entice an American to work in jobs many view as unpleasant in one way or another.

For instance, I know someone in the U.S. who has a commercial garden, but who herself is not able to take care of it by herself. She employed seasonal workers, including some illegals, but finally had a pang of conscience and when her next season rolled around, advertised well in advance for a US citizen or a green-card holder via posters, flyers, local help-wanted ads, word of mouth, and face-to-face entreaties. Here's what she offered: $12/hour, at the time rather more than double the federal minimum wage; a small but decent trailer house, furnished, for the worker, and for a spouse and one or two small children, if applicable; $100/month towards utilities in the trailer; and pick-up/drop-off service every day if the applicant didn't have a vehicle. Plus one day a week off, and PAID public holidays, and social security set-up and employer contribution. Oh -- I almost forgot -- and a free home-cooked (by her, and she's an excellent cook) lunch in her kitchen, if the person wanted, or a ride to a nearby restaurant for that meal, if the person preferred. Eight hours a day assured, an hour off for lunch. Plus some free vegetables, when there was an excess.

This lady advertised for something like two MONTHS before she needed anyone. And how many Americans and/or green-card holders applied?

Zero, that's how many. Several times when she cornered high-school she knew were seeking summer employment and adults she knew to be desperately in search of work, the answers they gave her fell into the category of "I'd rather flip burgers at under half the pay than pick vegetables or the like."

Kind of hard to fault the lady for coming back in her detractors' faces' with "I tried, dam_ it all!"

So, that year she sweated it, depending on her son-in-law, daughter, their son, and anyone else who volunteered to pitch in. (I couldn't offer, since I was nowhere near enough to be able to do so.)

Now, concerning, for instance, hill tribes in the north of Thailand -- the children at least -- do they pose a genuine *national* security threat? If so, fine, and since I'm not Thai, it's ultimately none of my business anyway. But any such claim sure does leave me scratching my head. . . .

I hope this dilemma can be worked out to the satisfaction of all concerned, especially the Thais, who are often quite generous with foreigners, something for which they -- and their government -- often don't get enough credit, much less thanks, for. I've always been very well-treated in Thailand, including by Immigration and Customs officers.

Edited by MekhongKurt

"Interior Ministry finally lets Mong fly to Japan

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 3/09/2009 at 04:47 PM The Interior Ministry made an about turn on Thursday and sent a letter to the Foreign Ministry saying it had no objection to Mong Thongdee, a stateless boy from Chiang Rai, being allowed to leave for Japan to take part in the Origami Airplane contest in Chiba on Sept 19 and 20.

On Wednesday, the 12-year-old boy flew to Bangkok from Chiang Rai and filed a request with the Interior Ministry for permission to attend the paper airplane contest, but the ministry refused him an official certificate to travel overseas.

However, the Foreign Ministry agreed to give him a temporary passport to allow him to represent Thailand in the contest.

Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said on Wednesday that if the boy wanted to compete in Japan, he had to represent Burma as a Burmese national.

Mong was born in Thailand to Burmese migrant workers and has been refused Thai citizenship.

A meeting was held at the Interior Ministry on Thursday to reconsider this matter. It was attended by officials from the Office of the Permanent Secretary, Foreign Affairs Division, Civil Registration Division and National Security Council.

After the meeting, Local Administration Department chief Wongsak Sawasdipanich said the Interior Ministry had decided to let Mong travel to Japan. The decision was based on consideration of related laws, cooperation treaties and human rights.

He said the Interior Ministry does not have the authority to give permission for the boy to travel out of the country. The agencies that have such authority are the Foreign Ministry and Immigration Bureau, he said.

Mr Wongsak said the change of mind was not a result of pressure from society. The decision would not change the fact that Mong is a son of Burmese parents who registered as aliens in 2003, and were awaiting repatriation on Feb 28 next year.

Earlier in the day, Lawyers Council representative Nitithorn Lamlua took Mong to the Central Administrative Court in Bangkok to file a complaint accusing Mr Chavarat of dereliction of duty and being too slow in making a decision on the issue.

Mr Nitithorn asked the court to treat the matter as urgent and issue an injunction to allow Mong to leave the country to participate in the origami contest and then return to Thailand while the court considered the request.

Although Mong is not a Thai citizen, he can file a complaint with the court because he is covered by Thai law and the Thai constitution, he said.

The court in the afternoon accepted the case for hearing."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1534...-u-turn-on-mong

Now, how can he possibly represent Burma when Burma will not even grant him citizenship because he was not born in that country? I think Mr Chavarat is going to have a lot to answer for once this hearing takes place. And the court will need to ponder on a lot of issues concerning immigrants, migrant workers and 'foreigners' in this country.

I'm all for this boy getting to go compete with his paper plane, and for him getting Thai citizenship if he was born in Thailand.

Next.......

Has anyone considered the "other" (if I can say this with the disputed nationality issue) Thai boy who will, I assume be a little upset too if Mong now gets to turn up and replace him in representing Thailand. I assume each country is only allowed ONE representative.

More tears to come?

I'm sincerely glad for the boy.

Plus, this sheds a ray of light on the festering problem of illegals in Thailand.

A primary reason the issue is continually swept under the carpet is illegals can't vote, so what's the use of anyone in power giving a hoot about them? Mr. T, the supposed saviour of the poor (though always using other peoples' money), never mentioned them.

Asians in general are renown for being concerned for their families and little else. Although compassion for others is oft mentioned in religious texts, it only manifests by rote - in other words, concern for those outside their 'family' becomes a perfunctory gesture, if anything at all.

Perhaps this publicized incident will help raise awareness of the serious plight of the hundreds of thousands of stateless and downtrodden folks amongst us.

Edited by brahmburgers

NATIONALITY ROW

Stateless boy to fly away

By The Nation

Published on September 4, 2009

Lawyers force bureaucrats to let Burmese boy go to Japan

The government has agreed to issue a temporary passport to a Thaiborn son of Burmese workers so the "stateless" boy can test his skills in a paper aeroplane contest in Japan.

Mong Thongdee, 12, was expected to receive the passport by late yesterday.

He has been invited to join the Origami Airplane Contest in Japan on September 19 and 20.

Mong has been in the public eye this week as he called on various authorities to request a passport or travel documents to go to Japan.

After appearing to get bad news from the Interior Ministry on Wednesday, he was understandably delighted yesterday when the prime minister answered his prayers.

"Thank you Mr Prime Minister. I love you so much. You're so kind," Mong said when he met Abhisit yesterday.

During the meeting, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya assured Abhisit the boy would soon get a passport.

Mong was invited to take part in the Japanese competition after winning a paper aeroplane contest organised by a newspaper in Chiang Mai.

On Wednesday, the boy was tearful when the Provincial Administration Department suggested it could not support his request for a passport. They said the process was complicated because Mong was not a Thai national - his parents are workers from Burma.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry had maintained, however, it would give the boy a temporary travel document if the Interior Ministry gave Mong the okay.

The Provincial Administration Department's initial response upset the Lawyers Council of Thailand, which filed a case yesterday against Interior Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul in the Administrative Court.

Chaovarat was accused of violating Mong's rights and many laws. Many academics also commented that Chaovarat could and should allow Mong to get a temporary passport.

Mong's chances brightened when news emerged yesterday that Wongsak Sawasdipanich, head of the Provincial Administration Department, convened an urgent meeting to discuss the boy's case.

Representatives from variฌous authorities including the National Security Council attended the meeting.

Following the meeting, Wongsak said: "We will send a letter to the Foreign Affairs Ministry to say that we will have no objection if Mong is going to attend the Origami Airplane Contest in Japan."

Wongsak said the decision was based on laws, conventions, human rights and national security considerations.

He said it had nothing to do with growing pressure on the Interior Ministry.

Chaovarat said: "I personalฌly agree that Mong should get a temporary passport but I have to first ensure that all legal aspects are considered."

The Lawyers' Council agreed to withdraw the complaint against Chaovarat after hearing the news.

Kasit explained that giving a temporary passport was not granting Thai citizenship. "They are two separate issues," he said.

Mong was born to a couple, who migrated from Burma's Shan State. However, the parents have not been officially recognised as Burmese citizens.

The boy is thus considered stateless. So far, Mong has lived in Thailand since he was born.

He is now a Grade4 student in Chiang Mai.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/04/09

NATIONALITY ROW

Stateless boy to fly away

By The Nation

Published on September 4, 2009

Lawyers force bureaucrats to let Burmese boy go to Japan

The government has agreed to issue a temporary passport to a Thaiborn son of Burmese workers so the "stateless" boy can test his skills in a paper aeroplane contest in Japan.

Chaovarat was accused of violating Mong's rights and many laws. Many academics also commented that Chaovarat could and should allow Mong to get a temporary passport.

Wongsak said the decision was based on laws, conventions, human rights and national security considerations.

He said it had nothing to do with growing pressure on the Interior Ministry. RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT

Chaovarat said: "I personalฌly agree that Mong should get a temporary passport but I have to first ensure that all legal aspects are considered." More Thai Political CYA BULL *HIT

A stateless Burmese boy has been given the all-clear to travel to Japan to take part in a paper airplane contest after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva stepped in to help.

A certificate and temporary passport would be issued to Mong Thongdee, 12, from Chiang Mai, allowing him to travel to the Origami Airplane contest in Chiba, Japan, this month.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-01

Good news,

and good of Kuhn Abhisit to inform the ministries that is a good thing to do this.

They of course can't deviate from what they know,

and just kept kicking it upstairs till the buck stopped.

of course Khun Abhisit is such a good boy.

anyone remember the Rohingya boat people and what Abhisit said about them and how the Government was 'under pressure' by some thai and foreigners?

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday there is a move to pressure the Thai government to accept Rohingya boat people as refugees and give them shelter. "Those who have accused Thailand are trying to pressure the Thai government to change the status of the Rohingya people,'' he said.There are also moves, backed by some Thais and foreigners, to help Rohingya people to settle in Thailand, said Mr Abhisit.

The prime minister reiterated that the Rohingya are economic migrants, not refugees.If any western countries want to accommodate the Rohingya, the Thai government is ready to help, he said.

Mr Abhisit said his government is sticking to international laws and human rights principles, but at the same time it must assert its right to protect national security.

i wish the boy all the best, but this case also trivialise the situation of the stateless people and now also becomes some propaganda stage play for Abhisit.

Origami champion, 12, captures Thai hearts

Prime Minister tells boy with refugee parents that he can travel to Japan

By Andrew Buncombe, Asia correspondent

When it came to folding paper into planes, 12-year-old Mong Thongdee lacked nothing.

Such was his dexterity, such was his sheer art, that he won a national origami championship in Thailand having made a plane that flew for a full 12 seconds. He was even reckoned good enough to be invited to compete in an international contest later this month in Japan.

But what Mong did not have was Thai citizenship. Although he was born in the south-east Asian nation, his parents were migrant workers from neighbouring Burma and as such, under the country’s laws, he was not considered a citizen and did not possess a passport. When he was refused permission to travel to Japan, he wept in front of the television cameras - triggering an outpouring of national sympathy. “I really want to go because I have been practicing hard, but I know the adults say I can't go because I have no citizenship,” he sobbed.

Now, after a meeting with Thailand’s prime minister, a special exception has been made for Mong. The foreign ministry spokesman said that following a promise that prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva personally made to the paper-folding champion, the youngster will be granted temporary papers that are valid for one journey.

Wongsak Sawaspanich, a ministry official in charge of the case, said the decision to issue the papers had been made on “legal and humanitarian grounds”. He rejected speculation that officials had caved in to public pressure, having initially said that allowing the boy to leave and return would present a threat to national security.

Either way, the story of Mong’s struggle to travel to Japan and represent the country in which he was born, has drawn attention to the plight of around 500,000 stateless people living in Thailand who legally cannot leave and return to the country.

The boy’s parents are ethnic Shan, who - like so many others - fled from Burma to avoid persecution from the military junta and to seek a better life. There are hundreds of thousands of such people scattered in refugee camps that dot the border between the two countries. While his parents have temporary permission to live and work in Thailand, if he had left and tried to return his status would be revoked and he would be barred entry.

Jackie Pollock, a British aid worker who founded the MAP Foundation, a Thailand-based charity that works with displaced people, said stories like that of Mong were not uncommon. “This is the situation that many children are in,” she said, speaking from the northern town of Chiang Mai, where Mong and his parents live. “There are many migrants and the Thai government does not recognise them as refugees. I think they were worried that if they [granted a passport to Mong] it would set a precedent.”

Campaigners are hopeful that Mong’s case, which saw the Lawyers Council of Thailand petition the authorities on his behalf, may encourage the authorities to do more. After meeting with the boy at the parliament building in Bangkok, Mr Abhisit acknowledged the problem of stateless people and pledged to task the national security council with improving their access to education and health care.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ts-1782130.html

Origami champion, 12, captures Thai hearts

Prime Minister tells boy with refugee parents that he can travel to Japan

By Andrew Buncombe, Asia correspondent

Campaigners are hopeful that Mong’s case, which saw the Lawyers Council of Thailand petition the authorities on his behalf, may encourage the authorities to do more. After meeting with the boy at the parliament building in Bangkok, Mr Abhisit acknowledged the problem of stateless people and pledged to task the national security council with improving their access to education and health care.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ts-1782130.html

I say ole boy, ..... petitioned ?????? and here we the common folk thought that they filed suit against the Interior Minister.

I have been sued before, but now , I do so like the sound of it,,,,,, that I wish I had been petitioned....... :)