Shovel

canopy

Thai's use shovels that are nothing like what I am used to and I don't find them efficient enough for my needs. I would like to move quite a few wheelbarrow loads of dirt and wonder if a normal western shovel is sold anywhere. I did not see any at HomePro. The specs I am interested in are a long handle for a taller person, wide & rounded blade, heavy gauge steel that won't bend in clay, and a place to put your feet to lay into it. This would be the regular shovel found in the USA but I have yet to find anything like it here. A spade would be nice too, but maybe wishful thinking.

Thai's use shovels that are nothing like what I am used to and I don't find them efficient enough for my needs. I would like to move quite a few wheelbarrow loads of dirt and wonder if a normal western shovel is sold anywhere. I did not see any at HomePro. The specs I am interested in are a long handle for a taller person, wide & rounded blade, heavy gauge steel that won't bend in clay, and a place to put your feet to lay into it. This would be the regular shovel found in the USA but I have yet to find anything like it here. A spade would be nice too, but maybe wishful thinking.

Canopy,

Keep looking they are out there. It may be a matter of finding the pieces and assembling. Handle and blade seperately. I have a good spade which I find upcountry and a proper pick, the head and handle discovered in different shops. Try looking in the more speciality shops, like those that sell septic tanks and other drainage gear, they are more likely to have the shovel you are looking for.

If all else fails, or even in the meantime, get a good Thai farmers digging hoe. An amazingly efficient tool once you get the hang of using it. If not then watch someone else swing one for you. Probably cheaper than importing a decent farang shovel.

Isaanaussie

Yep; I know what you want. There's only one place and it's called TrueValueHardware. There's one in Pattaya and one in Chonburi-City. Mind you; they're not cheap, but they do have them.

If you need more info., simply PM me.

I feel your pain and experienced it myself until I had my visiting sister pick up a good one in the US, cut off the handle and bring it to me. I fashioned a nice handle from bamboo. I later realized that Home Pro had a good one in a short handled spade, BUT it is NOT with the tools, and consequently I missed to for a year and a half. It is with the gardening supplies in a different part of the store. Also, as one poster mentioned, True Value has them. I think you can also get a decent pneumatic tire wheelbarrow at True Value, which I have never seen anywhere else. Has anybody seen a regular "contractor" style pneumatic tire wheelbarrow anywhere in the North?

About a year ago I found a good quality, short handled, round point, shovel with a wooden handle at ToolPro Plus. I noticed at the time that they had similar quality short handled, square point shovels and spades. I can't remember if they had long handled ones. I went back a couple of months later to get a square point shovel and the wooden handled ones were all gone. They did have a short handled square point with a steel handle that seemed to be decent steel so I bought that and it's held up well. Much better than the cheap soft steel ones you see everywhere.

I've never seen a decent wheel barrow here in Udon. The common 2 wheeled one I bought less than a year ago I've had to take to the welding shop twice to get rewelded and the joints re-enforced.

Why would anyone ever buy a short handled shovel? I suppose because they're buying it for someone else to use or to put in the trunk of their car for an emergency?

Anyway, no good shovels made in Thailand. You can find decent shovels imported from Japan, but those are only half length handles. I took it to the welding shop and had it extended. Better still is to have someone from the states bring you one. True Value sounds interesting and I'll check it out if ever I get to Pattaya again.

Does True Value have a website, anyone know?

edit: I see they do:

http://www.truevalue.co.th/location.php

A little short on pricing details however:

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=99

Edited by lannarebirth

Why would anyone ever buy a short handled shovel?
Ever have to load a wheel barrow with gravel or other loose, heavy material? To each their own I suppose but for me a short handled shovel with a D grip is easier. I like to get a grip closer to the load. I was also building a house at the time and needed to use it in close quarters and to be able to put it in the car to take back home so it wouldn't walk off.

For digging holes and moving the dirt a long handled shovel is definitely better, if you can find it. But I've also gotten used to using the Thai version of a grub hoe - a jawb - for some jobs and find that's pretty handy too. Of course, if there's a lot of that to do I'm going to hire a local and a jawb is the only thing they'll use.

Yep; I know what you want. There's only one place and it's called TrueValueHardware. There's one in Pattaya and one in Chonburi-City. Mind you; they're not cheap, but they do have them.

If you need more info., simply PM me.

True value not the ticket! They have an evergreen brand (made in America) 5 year guarantee. Once you peel off the label you can see it is made in China.I brought back the shovel for replacement & they told me the warranty.Go figure. Contacted U.S. True value & was told owned by Germany not any affiliation to the U.S. chain of True values. does not apply to Thailand. They reluctantly gave me another shovel & kept my receipt & told me no warranty The cheapest grade of steel made. I moved maybe 12 13 cubic meter truck loads with it the tip is 2& 1/2" shorter the handle(where the rivets go through the wood(which is the best part of the shovel )decomposed off . I am on welding repair # 8 the shovel weighs 4 times what it used to.

I went back to the U.S. & Packed myself up a proper shovel. The type that last 8 years working on pouring perimeter foundations. And it is also made in China . But back in the U.S. & am sure in England & Australia as well - the grade & quality is much better than Thailand. U.S. sends the crap back & a don't call us we won't call you if they persist on sending garbage. This was bought at True value in Pattaya & has zero backing from the U.S. chain.

Best to do is either fabricate your own shovel or get a home pro(the Japanese model they stock) & next time you get to your home country mule 1 back. I will bring a couple more when I go again to make sure I can make it the rest of my time here. I use my shovel a lot & expect it to be a good work horse!And I take very good care of my tools & am adamant about anyone using any tools to clean them & put away after use...so they last.

Short handled shovels can get in tight areas & for me I can lift a lot more load at a time. I have used both types- but I guess the size is a matter of preference.That & the box you need to ship would be a tiny bit left to ship back any other things you want to bring back.

In Udon Thani they have them at Tool Pro.

In Udon Thani they have them at Tool Pro.

And Home Pro, and Global House but as Beardog pointed out they're really not up to much. I bought both a pointed US style digging shovel and a UK style 'Grafter' with a wide flat blade, bent both in moments on this hard clay ground in Udorn. I assume this is why the Thais use the 'digging hoe' (for want of a better description) style? I see them cutting through this ground in no time at all, and appears to be the right tool for the job in my eyes. I have a pick too, but the technique they use with their tools appears to be far superior. I spent many years as a groundworker digging holes back in the UK, and have come to the conclusion it's far better in this heat to sit back with a cold one watching somebody else do the donkey work. Where's the self satisfaction in digging a hole?!!

Plenty of folk around willing to work for 250b/day, I'll simply 'supervise', you missed a bit :)

Edited by Milo

Canopy,

I just noticed that home pro Just started (or i just noticed) carrying in the garden supply area(NOT THE TOOL DEPT.) Evergreen shovels they have a fiberglass handle & the spade actually looks like it is really tempered . dam_n near looks like the same as the U,S. for about 300 baht or a little less. Whatever you do stay away from the yellow handled shovels in the tool dept. They flex as Milo said. My yellow spade 1 time in hard soil & off to the metal shop for an 1" & 1/2 section of galvanized steel & the old spade end 1/2 dead to complete the aqueduct. If you get it let us know if it is at all worthy!

Canopy,

I just remembered they are the short handle type. Tough to locate a longhandle good shovel or a short handle, you can probably modify the handle with a wooden shaft. The blade seems hardy & maybe worthy. Speaking of which I got to go & transplant some fruit trees.

Cheers Barry

Be carefull what you ask for. Recently, whilst doing a spot of gardening the handle on my expensive, new, garden fork broke in two. I asked my wife if she could get a new handle as the fork itself is as new. When she returned form her shopping trip I asked her for the new fork handle. To my astonishment she placed a small bag in front of me saying 'yes only 10 baht'. On opening the bag i found 'four candles' :)

Thanks all. Good news to report. I didn't know Thailand has True Value stores, that along with Trader Joe's are my most missed stores! So I made the trip to Bangkok and all the hard to find tools there made it seem like I was in heaven. To my surprise hidden in the back they have a very nice range of shovels; chinese & US made, fiberglass & wood, long & short handles, and contractor quality shovels. Prices go up to 2000 baht for the top of the line. They have everything else too: spades, trenching shovels, you name it.

Now here is the nice part. I normally don't bother with annoying club cards. But if you spend 1000 baht, they let you get a true value card. Then the rest of your purchase gets a 30% discount (yes, 30%)!!! I saved a bundle because I was buying various other stuff anyway. The 30% is a one shot deal, then 5% afterwards purchases. The 30% is also promotional so take advantage if you are going there soon.

Someone mentioned where to find nice wheel barrows. I didn't see any there. The best I was able to do was find a two wheel type, but also wished for a soft tire, contractor quality one though have not seen them anywhere.