Nuclear Nimby

RubbaJohnny

Todyas ft reports 6 planned or proposed nuclear installations in Thailand in next 22 years plus 125 in China does anyone have any leads to locations?

Ytied web search via nuclear medicine facility at Thonburi without results

Could be wrong but word on the street is one in Klong Toei, Ekkamai, Morchit, Nonthaburi, Buriram and Samui. Sorry, I cant help you out with regards to China.

Todyas ft reports 6 planned or proposed nuclear installations in Thailand in next 22 years plus 125 in China does anyone have any leads to locations?

Could be wrong but word on the street is one in Klong Toei, Ekkamai, Morchit, Nonthaburi, Buriram and Samui. Sorry, I cant help you out with regards to China.

:D :D

The thought of Thai Nuclear Engineers sends a shiver down my spine!.......ahh..boss,i think we have a problem with the reactor.......Ok...mai pen rai :)

But i think sooner or later they will build to keep up with the alleged burmese plant.....with help from the USA....and hopefully with US engineers!

:D :D

The thought of Thai Nuclear Engineers sends a shiver down my spine!.......ahh..boss,i think we have a problem with the reactor.......Ok...mai pen rai :)

But i think sooner or later they will build to keep up with the alleged burmese plant.....with help from the USA....and hopefully with US engineers!

:D

Agree.

But having a couple of them down town in a mega city seem a bit strange.

:D:D

Alleged Burmese plant?

We're talking about nuclear power, not nuclear weapons. Thailand (and China) are signatories to the Non-Proliferation Treaty so any thoughts of weapons facilities would recieve worldwide condemnation. Thailand is not N.Korea and would not put itself into coventry.

Alleged Burmese plant?

We're talking about nuclear power, not nuclear weapons. Thailand (and China) are signatories to the Non-Proliferation Treaty so any thoughts of weapons facilities would recieve worldwide condemnation. Thailand is not N.Korea and would not put itself into coventry.

Sheesh Id rather burn coal than have any nuclear powerplants global warming versus glow in the dark 3 headed cows :D

Alleged Burmese plant?

Let's all hope so :D

Alleged Burmese plant?

Alleged Burmese plant ( 22 03 04.50 N 96 37 46.20 E )...Visit My Website

From what i can remember the N.K's also said the plant was for power generation,but later there were reports of weapons testing in the

mountains of N.K.........and i think the Burmese might be thinking along the same lines.

As I'm sure you know Thailand and Burma have a history going back hundreds of years and if the Burmese manage to obtain weapons grade material.....

So with a rouge nation on your door step with the possibility of these kind of weapons...what do you think Thailand would do??

The technology purchased would most likely be Chinese. As someone that continually bashes Chinese quality for consumer items, I an taking a 180 when I state that I believe that the Chinese safety standards and production methods surpass those found in the west. I would expect that if Thailand purchased Chinese technology, it would be staffed by the Chinese for the first year or two.

The issue then is what to do with the spent fuel. If it is handled like other toxic waste, look for it in a farmers field or under a Bangkok expressway.

:):D :D that'll get 'em going eh?

Lets see Thai welders don't usually use welding visors. So they most likely are not going to be wearing safety suits either......DOH another job for Homer Simpson!

Beardog, nice to see the normal generalisations on TV....the "Thai welders" you are referring to are not welders in my experience...just "rod burners"...

Real Thai welders are held in very high esteem across heavy industry, ie Oil & Gas, refinerys, shipping etc internationally as being some of the best tradesman in their field in the world...

On the safety suite comment...what safety suit ??....do you actually think people working in a NPS wear lead suits or something ??... :)

Also the "Homer Simpson"...you are referring to is actually alive and well and works in any number of nuclear power stations I have worked in...in the US...DOH.. :D

The technology purchased would most likely be Chinese. As someone that continually bashes Chinese quality for consumer items, I an taking a 180 when I state that I believe that the Chinese safety standards and production methods surpass those found in the west. I would expect that if Thailand purchased Chinese technology, it would be staffed by the Chinese for the first year or two.

The issue then is what to do with the spent fuel. If it is handled like other toxic waste, look for it in a farmers field or under a Bangkok expressway.

No.... most likely the technology purchased would be French, even the Chinese get their technology from the French...

Who ever builds the PS for them will staff the facility for a lot longer than 2 years....try 5-10 years after comissioning..as they need licensed operators and even the very "clever" boys take at least 3 years to get their license..

Lets see Thai welders don't usually use welding visors. So they most likely are not going to be wearing safety suits either......DOH another job for Homer Simpson!

Beardog, nice to see the normal generalisations on TV....the "Thai welders" you are referring to are not welders in my experience...just "rod burners"...

Real Thai welders are held in very high esteem across heavy industry, ie Oil & Gas, refinerys, shipping etc internationally as being some of the best tradesman in their field in the world...

I'd agree with that many of my MNC manufacturing clients report large increases in productivity when moving welding operations from Thailand. One customer (and this is but one example) reported that after one week of training his Thai welders were producing 15-20 widgets per day as opposed to 8 a day being made by their Australian staff who were receiving 10 times as much salary!

:)

Agree.

Until quite recently there was a functioning nuclear reactor in suburban London!

Just guessing now, but was this maybe buildt a long time ago, and due to safety regulations is was moved?

:)

Agree.

Until quite recently there was a functioning nuclear reactor in suburban London!

Just guessing now, but was this maybe buildt a long time ago, and due to safety regulations is was moved?

I just read up on it and it was smaller than I thought, but a strange place to keep it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_reactor

So with a rouge nation on your door step with the possibility of these kind of weapons...what do you think Thailand would do??

Love it :) You obviously mean 'rogue' nation

but rouge (French for Red) as in communist

is a great too :D

A glass of sangsom in your honour sir.

David

On the safety suite comment...what safety suit ??....do you actually think people working in a NPS wear lead suits or something ??... :)

Also the "Homer Simpson"...you are referring to is actually alive and well and works in any number of nuclear power stations I have worked in...in the US...DOH.. :D

Soutpeel I would love to meet a real welder most of these boys were taught by someone who didn't have a clue. Sunglasses without any polarization is the normal suit here Gloves optional. Not much eye for detail. Although having worked in a shipyard & as a commercial diver way in the past, I would imagine structural welders would have to be the grade or ships bridges & platforms would crack or fall apart. and the nuclear plant I am sure there are many Homer Simsons in all of them precisely why in 1974 I turned down a job at the Trojan nuclear plant in Washington state. starting out at top wage (for the era) but money no good if your gonna die of cancer later. Still all in all after seeing the way they built the swampy airport & finding out how few electricians actually had any formal training makes one worry about the pride in craftsmanship for a job that will kill you & many others ...if you are asleep at the wheel.

Mainland China has eleven nuclear power reactors in commercial operation, 14 under construction, and at least ten more about to start construction in 2009.

Here's a map of all Chinese planned locations and a run down of all the suppliers and units. A good information tool.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf63.html

No.... most likely the technology purchased would be French, even the Chinese get their technology from the French...

Who ever builds the PS for them will staff the facility for a lot longer than 2 years....try 5-10 years after comissioning..as they need licensed operators and even the very "clever" boys take at least 3 years to get their license..

Fair enough criticism from a historical perspective. However, if you read the information link above, you will see that the recent projects rely more and more upon Chinese sourced equipment. The stated goal in China is to become nuclear self sufficient and that is why Westinghouse was selected as a partner on recent projects because it allowed for a transfer of technology. The French, Russians and canadians were very important contributors to the Chinese nuclear industry, but if you read the document it provides a clear indication of where China is now, including its strong investment interests in Australian and Canadian uranium mines. Scary stuff.

I would therefore anticipate the Chinese taking a page from the farangs and heavily subsidizing a Thai project just for the chance to sell their equipment and gain prestige.

Soutpeel I would love to meet a real welder most of these boys were taught by someone who didn't have a clue. Sunglasses without any polarization is the normal suit here Gloves optional. Not much eye for detail. Although having worked in a shipyard & as a commercial diver way in the past, I would imagine structural welders would have to be the grade or ships bridges & platforms would crack or fall apart. and the nuclear plant I am sure there are many Homer Simsons in all of them precisely why in 1974 I turned down a job at the Trojan nuclear plant in Washington state. starting out at top wage (for the era) but money no good if your gonna die of cancer later. Still all in all after seeing the way they built the swampy airport & finding out how few electricians actually had any formal training makes one worry about the pride in craftsmanship for a job that will kill you & many others ...if you are asleep at the wheel.

A bubblehead.....LOL... :)

I work with Thai welders on a daily basis and trust me they are as good as any in the world and yes they wear all the correct PPE.

I base my judgement on having worked in numerous places in the world in heavy industry including, Europe and the US and the Thai welders I work with are as good as or better than welders in the abovementioned countries.

At the end of the day, its down to individual company/client to enforce the required quality standards, if they are not, Thai tradesman will take shortcuts, but, this is not unique to Thailand as this occurs with all tradesman anywhere in the world in my experience.

Shall we not forget the liberty ships coming out US shipyards during WWII, which started cracking once they hit the Atlantic, as the welders in the ship yards where putting welding wire in the roots of the welds instead of welding the joint out fully.

Recently, in a US shipyard which builds nuclear subs, an unqualified inspector had signed off hundreds of welds as being acceptable and it turned out many of the "accepted" welds had defects which should have been rejected to the construction codes.

I was personally was involved with an explosion investigation at a power plant in the US, which nearly killed one guy (burnt over 25% of his body) where the welders had not followed the laid down procedures for a weld repair to a boiler and took numerous shortcuts on the job and as a result a 6' X 3' section of the boiler wall blew out when the boiler went under pressure.

I have given these examples to illustrate that bad workmanship is alive and well in first world countries as well and this is not limited to Thailand.... :D

A bubblehead.....LOL... :)

I work with Thai welders on a daily basis and trust me they are as good as any in the world and yes they wear all the correct PPE.

I base my judgement on having worked in numerous places in the world in heavy industry including, Europe and the US and the Thai welders I work with are as good as or better than welders in the abovementioned countries.

At the end of the day, its down to individual company/client to enforce the required quality standards, if they are not, Thai tradesman will take shortcuts, but, this is not unique to Thailand as this occurs with all tradesman anywhere in the world in my experience.

Shall we not forget the liberty ships coming out US shipyards during WWII, which started cracking once they hit the Atlantic, as the welders in the ship yards where putting welding wire in the roots of the welds instead of welding the joint out fully.

Recently, in a US shipyard which builds nuclear subs, an unqualified inspector had signed off hundreds of welds as being acceptable and it turned out many of the "accepted" welds had defects which should have been rejected to the construction codes.

I was personally was involved with an explosion investigation at a power plant in the US, which nearly killed one guy (burnt over 25% of his body) where the welders had not followed the laid down procedures for a weld repair to a boiler and took numerous shortcuts on the job and as a result a 6' X 3' section of the boiler wall blew out when the boiler went under pressure.

I have given these examples to illustrate that bad workmanship is alive and well in first world countries as well and this is not limited to Thailand.... :D

Suspect this is another construction “expert” whose sole experience in Thailand is watching the guys remodel the shop house across the street from his bar.

TH