Motorcycle With No Number Plate

weasel

I have a 400cc motorbike, which I use to 'poodle' around Chiang Mai on and get absolutely no grief from the police at all. In fact one or two of them have taken to saluting me as I ride by wearing my ramones t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops.

However I am told that you cannot ride a plateless motorcycle in Bangkok... :o

What is the situation re: motorcycles without plates in other 'cities' throughout the LoS?

I have heard just the opposite. You can get away with it in Bangkok, but Chiang Mai has been undergoing a recent crackdown. Unregistered bikes have been seized. If you want it back, you must pay the various taxes.

Took a while to get the plate (few months) for the new motorcycle but was never stopped for it. I was pullled over many times but no talk of the missing plate.

"Where you from?, where you go?. Pai! ".

I always greet them with a smile, a "watdee khap" and then a truthful "mai mao".

I have a 400cc motorbike, which I use to 'poodle' around Chiang Mai on and get absolutely no grief from the police at all. In fact one or two of them have taken to saluting me as I ride by wearing my ramones t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops.

However I am told that you cannot ride a plateless motorcycle in Bangkok...  :o

What is the situation re: motorcycles without plates in other 'cities' throughout the LoS?

You're riding a time bomb, it's just a matter of time till one pulls you up. BKK is a definite no-no. Times are changing here.

• 2 weeks later...
Took a while to get the plate (few months) for the new motorcycle but was never stopped for it. I was pullled over many times but no talk of the missing plate.

"Where you from?, where you go?. Pai! ".

I always greet them with a smile, a "watdee khap" and then a truthful  "mai mao".

Hey, Penzman, this is Daeng. How much did you pay to get your license plate?

I bought my motorcycle (a second-hand Honda Degree mountain trail bike) in Chiangrai and was told that getting a registration and a license plate would cost an extra 50,000 baht, so I got the bike without the registration. If I could get the bike legal for not more than 10,000 baht, I'd probably go for it.

as I ride by wearing my ramones t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops.

Always a pleasure to meet a future skin-graft recipient. :o What's the lifespan of a flip-flop meeting the pavement unexpectedly? Can you imagine what the asphalt scraping through your foot bones would feel like? Well tightened running shoes at the very least. :D

cv