Teak Garden Furniture

JELLIS1000

I would like to buy a nice solid teak table and chairs for my patio, something like a 6 seater with chairs, I haven't really seen any around, to be honest I have only really looked in the big stores and haven't seen much, anyone know where I could get something like that?

Thanks

Jimmy

siam old teak phone 032 575 040

I would like to buy a nice solid teak table and chairs for my patio, something like a 6 seater with chairs, I haven't really seen any around, to be honest I have only really looked in the big stores and haven't seen much, anyone know where I could get something like that?

Thanks

Jimmy

Thanks

Jimmy

If you have access to a pick-up and want to take a little trip, go north to Chiangmai (especially Baan Tawai S.W. of town http://www.ban-tawai.com/), or better yet, to Phra (less expensive), and you will find an outstanding collection of types and styles and will save a bundle of money of BKK prices. And, it's a nice trip, too.

Thanks

Jimmy

There is an area in North Bangkok, near Morchit, the Soi is full of teak shops, lot of other shops buy from there, "trade area", Teak furnture of all sorts to your hearts consent, but in raw state, so you just need to laquer it, please see card attached from one of the shops in that Soi, although plenty more shops to look at, we bought a lot of Teak furniture from there, & buy the time we had it laquered it still came out to a lot cheaper than buying from one of the local furnture shops:

post-42155-1252563820_thumb.jpg

Edited by dickie58

Thanks

Jimmy

There is an area in North Bangkok, near Morchit, the Soi is full of teak shops, lot of other shops buy from there, "trade area", Teak furnture of all sorts to your hearts consent, but in raw state, so you just need to laquer it, please see card attached from one of the shops in that Soi, although plenty more shops to look at, we bought a lot of Teak furniture from there, & buy the time we had it laquered it still came out to a lot cheaper than buying from one of the local furnture shops:

Excellent reply there dickie58, thats where furniture for my house was purchased, as well as the wood for the external and internal doors also the fitted kitchen and custom built wardrobes.

For those who cant read Thai the area referred to is called Bang Sue, everyone in the building game in Bkk knows where it is, well worth a visit.

Thanks

Jimmy

You don't say where you are.

If you happen to be in Pattaya, have a look around the side of Carrefour.

Thanks

Jimmy

Have you got a name of the soi and do they also sell interior doors?

Edit:just read rgs2001UK's post so part of the question which refers to the area is answered.

@ rgs2001UK:Did you purchase only the wood for the doors or were the doors ready made?

Edited by basjke

Thanks

Jimmy

Have you got a name of the soi and do they also sell interior doors?

Edit:just read rgs2001UK's post so part of the question which refers to the area is answered.

@ rgs2001UK:Did you purchase only the wood for the doors or were the doors ready made?

There are plenty of teak shops in Bang Sue, Bangkok, selling good quality teak doors, & teak furniture of all types, deffiantly worth a visit, The name of the Soi should be on the buisness card i attached above, but is in Thai, maybe get someone to translate for you? Good luck

Basjke,

the area is called Bang Sue, the road is called Pracharat Sai 1.

This area is right beside the river, if you can get to Bang Pho hospital you are in the right area.

This is a whole area of hardware, furniture shops and workshops kitted out with bandsaws, lathes etc.

A lot of the doors are built to the standard door size, but may need planed or shaved to fit your dimensions.

Custom made work is also available.

I just bought the internal doors and hung them myself, the external doors were custom made, because of the glass I requied and also because of the dimensions required.

If you need the wood varnished or laquered let the shop know what kind of finish you require.

The custom built furniture took a bit longer, had to wait for wood drying out before it could be cut to size.

The cost of brass door hinges screws and handles was more than the cost of the door.

Prices vary on the type of wood required and pattern or design style, from memory a standard plain type internal door, unfinished with no accessories was about 1500 baht.

Plenty of different types of wood available, and prices to match.

If you intend kitting out a house like I did, then its well worth a trip, most of the shops will have catalogues available of any custom work you may require.

I submitted my own plans which were followed exactly.

For the built in kitchen, the guys came to the house and took dimensions and gave me a quote.

To this day I still wonder how I managed to get the quality of materials and workmanship for the price I did.

Basjke,

the area is called Bang Sue, the road is called Pracharat Sai 1.

This area is right beside the river, if you can get to Bang Pho hospital you are in the right area.

This is a whole area of hardware, furniture shops and workshops kitted out with bandsaws, lathes etc.

A lot of the doors are built to the standard door size, but may need planed or shaved to fit your dimensions.

Custom made work is also available.

I just bought the internal doors and hung them myself, the external doors were custom made, because of the glass I requied and also because of the dimensions required.

If you need the wood varnished or laquered let the shop know what kind of finish you require.

The custom built furniture took a bit longer, had to wait for wood drying out before it could be cut to size.

The cost of brass door hinges screws and handles was more than the cost of the door.

Prices vary on the type of wood required and pattern or design style, from memory a standard plain type internal door, unfinished with no accessories was about 1500 baht.

Plenty of different types of wood available, and prices to match.

If you intend kitting out a house like I did, then its well worth a trip, most of the shops will have catalogues available of any custom work you may require.

I submitted my own plans which were followed exactly.

For the built in kitchen, the guys came to the house and took dimensions and gave me a quote.

To this day I still wonder how I managed to get the quality of materials and workmanship for the price I did.

Thank you for the detailed reply,I will sure take a look over there in the near future.

Thanks

Jimmy

If you have access to a pick-up and want to take a little trip, go north to Chiangmai (especially Baan Tawai S.W. of town http://www.ban-tawai.com/), or better yet, to Phra (less expensive), and you will find an outstanding collection of types and styles and will save a bundle of money of BKK prices. And, it's a nice trip, too.

Agreed, go to where it's made, cut out the middle man and certainly save yourself at least 50% Phrae much better than Ban Tawai, and they'll even post it to you, so you don't even need a pickup. Also by posting to yourself you save on the forestry dept 'taxation' charged to teak products.

Thanks

Jimmy

Agreed, go to where it's made, cut out the middle man and certainly save yourself at least 50% Phrae much better than Ban Tawai, and they'll even post it to you, so you don't even need a pickup. Also by posting to yourself you save on the forestry dept 'taxation' charged to teak products.

watch out with the licenses! If you plan to ship the teak furniture abroad at a later stage (moving to another country for instance) you would need proper paperwoork form the shop where you bought it - even after years.

Thanks

Jimmy

Excellent reply there dickie58, thats where furniture for my house was purchased, as well as the wood for the external and internal doors also the fitted kitchen and custom built wardrobes.

For those who cant read Thai the area referred to is called Bang Sue, everyone in the building game in Bkk knows where it is, well worth a visit.

Be careful though in this Soi (named Soi Pracha Nerumit) the prices have gone up an awful lot oerr thge years and it can be quite expensive, also make sure what you pay for is what you get and they use alot of teak plywood so if you want solid teak make sure it is clearly specified, some of the paint finishes can be substandard shopa round is my advice, I have been buying from this Soi for close to 20 years now and still change the shops I deal with!!!!