Packet '3' - Immigration To U.s.a. - Certification ?

My Thai wife has received 'Packet 3' from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok in her application process for obtaining an Immigrant Visa to the U.S.A. I also reside in Thailand (have for years). We have been legally married for years, so if the Immigrant Visa is granted, my wife will be granted 'PLR' or Permanent Legal Residency status.

I have a question regarding any supporting documents for the DS-230 and I-864 that are in the Thai language. I know they must be translated into English by a certified

translator. But, must the translation then be certified at The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

All of our documents which are in Thai have been translated into English and the translation certified by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok except the actual deed

(chinoot) to our home. It has been translated into English by a certified translator, but not stamped at the MFA. The property has been recently sold and the Purchase and Sale Agreement is in English. Do I have to make one more trip to the MFA to have the deed's translation certified for the submission of the DS-230, part 1 and subsequent interview at the U.S. Embassy?

Any replies welcome and certainly appreciated.

My Thai wife has received 'Packet 3' from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok in her application process for obtaining an Immigrant Visa to the U.S.A. I also reside in Thailand (have for years). We have been legally married for years, so if the Immigrant Visa is granted, my wife will be granted 'PLR' or Permanent Legal Residency status.

I have a question regarding any supporting documents for the DS-230 and I-864 that are in the Thai language. I know they must be translated into English by a certified

translator. But, must the translation then be certified at The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

All of our documents which are in Thai have been translated into English and the translation certified by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok except the actual deed

(chinoot) to our home. It has been translated into English by a certified translator, but not stamped at the MFA. The property has been recently sold and the Purchase and Sale Agreement is in English. Do I have to make one more trip to the MFA to have the deed's translation certified for the submission of the DS-230, part 1 and subsequent interview at the U.S. Embassy?

Any replies welcome and certainly appreciated.

I highly doubt that they would demand MFA certification for that document. That being said, they have discretion to ask for virtually anything they feel is pertinent. Probable worst case scenario: you turn in a translator-certified translation (no MFA stamp) and they refuse visa issuance under 221g. In that case, you simply must go obtain it and take it back to them when the window is open.

Hope this was helpful.

Best of Luck,

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal

Last June my wife received her IR-1 visa and I did all of the paperwork myself except for the translations and none of them ever went to the MFA. They were all stamped be the translator "Certified to be a true and correct translation". All were accepted and no problems. In fact, the only document that I ever had to have legalized at the MFA was the "Affirmation to marry" a few years back. So, I would think the answer is no, but I didn't have that detail to worry about. If you sold the property already, why would they be interested in the deed?