Tot Internet Speed

rohitsuk

Was using TT&T Maxnet, but experienced port blocking & VPN connection blocking too. This was on the Maxnet 5mb Indy package.

Complaints to TT&T Maxnet resulted in the advice for me to change from their Indy package to their Premier package.

Bottom line is that I swapped from their 5mb Indy to their 2mb Premier package, at around the same price - and the result? No more port blocking & the 2mb Premier is far far faster in normal use than the 5mb Indy! Go figure! Less people on the loop I can only assume.

So why not drop TOT and try the Maxnet Premier package?

I did the reverse jump from TT&T to TOT. Similar problems to you with TT&T Indy and on their advice "upgraded" to Premier which meant I paid them more for less. The speed was tolerable at around 1.5-2megs but the connection was so unstable, I was cut off several times an hour and sometimes several times in several minutes.

Beware of following my example out of the frying pan and into the fire, they are about equally useless although from time to time one might be slightly less bad than the other, it's a close call.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOT, TT&T, UBC/Untrue, are all monopolies in control of certain segments.

On the 29th of June, having gotten fed up with the TOT service I was not getting {had the 800B pkg at 1.5m} I went to the office of TOT on Tung Hotel Rd. and had a talk with them...... They now had a new program where I could sign up for 3m for 500 b per month. Got a new password and was told to use that in the morning when logging on.

Did just that and the service and speed was less than on the 1.5m. Until almost 3 weeks later on the 17th of July, I called either 2 or 3 times daily to either the TOT Office [Tung], the adls non repair number or the 1100 number in Bkk, before I had the first "Tech" ??? come to see me.

It has worked at speeds no faster than the 1.5 m to this day. Yesterday [sunday] it was completely out for about 5 hours, then on no better. I placed a call to the 1100 TOT Bkk No. ..... same story... they took the info..... suggest turn off modem for a couple minutes, turn back. And, of curse, make a report to have tech look at. All bull$hit by the book,

I get the same bull$hit excuses that you guys do ..... its the modem or router...., but this morning went like this on a call from TOT

me: hello

TOT: internet working

me: its on but very very slow

TOT: Thailand very fast, problem outside Thailand very slow.

I guess if I would have told him it was ok, he wouldn't have to use the bull$hit story

[ so I guess data comes into Thai very slow and then Thailand speeds it up, then it gets to me very slow.

What the hel l has happened to this country in the past several years. I get so that every time I see a orange TOT truck stop on the street, I know that in a few minutes, my internet will go out. The only ability that the "TECH" has is how to climb a ladder or pole. But I am sure that is genetics and hereditary.

UBC is just as bad. A couple months ago it took them 9 days to come out and see why the UBC wasn't working... 9 DAYS. the answer that they gave me was that a rat had pissed on the decoder box. then they didn't want to credit me for the 9 days of non service. WHY ??/ because I didn't tell them to turn off the service that wasn't working.

Somebody , somewhere has got to snap the people awake. Service to them is how long and how many excuses they can make and still keep you paying

If anyone knows of a place in the gov't that is responsible for these good ole boy monoplies, and that we can make a group complaint, I would be happy to join in.....

Gonzo

Agreed with all above

Only reasonable time at night

i.e after 11pm until 7am when thais ariseFortunately Im a night owl

Cannot even stream radio most days forget about up dates and downloads

And they wondr why its slipping out of quasi developing nation of 1195-2006 era to a sort of banan...

I have TOT is anyone doing better with true or satelite or cat or lox out here in jungle seems little choice

Seems like the whole show is slowing up regardless of speed package. I have GPRS/Edge in the jungle and most downloads are anything between 2.5 and 14kbs.... at night it is worst hovering around 4-5kbs. How to do...Maybe that's why DTAC is offering double the time for same price

i.e. 199 baht/month for 100hrs instead of 50hrs. Sigh...

563203351.png

just done a speed test on my 3mb platinum package anyone beat that!!!

564513716.png

Well today what a differance, not being a techy don't really know why it's so differant today from the weekend.

Did notice it defaulted to the Bangkok server again maybe that's why?

It's so frustrating :)

The speed test above is further proof that the problems lies with the international link. Having a fast connection to BKK is all well and good, but how many websites do you use at that are hosted in Thailand?

The majority of sites I use are based in the US or Europe, so a speed test to a server located outside of Thailand is far more relevant to real world use. And today I'm getting 0.05 Mbps...

563203351.png

just done a speed test on my 3mb platinum package anyone beat that!!!

564513716.png

Well today what a differance, not being a techy don't really know why it's so differant today from the weekend.

Did notice it defaulted to the Bangkok server again maybe that's why?

It's so frustrating :)

I am sorry, but you are right that the explanation is Bangkok <=> Penang. Just did tests to both places:

post-20094-1252899686_thumb.jpg post-20094-1252899709_thumb.jpg

As long as CAT have their (almost) monopoly on international circuits, this situation is not going to change. Why would anybody want to access a site outside of Thailand, anyway? :D

/ Priceless

same as everyone else here, last week the sevice bombed, TOT say it is my modem, intersting thinks I have all of us bought a batch of duff modems, maybe we should do a poll or perhaps we shouls tell TOT that X chiangmai residents (where X=a number that say they have this problem) have all been told the same lame excuse and would they mind explaining how this can be so?

They always tell me that it's my ADSL modem/router (that they sold me) that is the problem,

TOT has been bloody rubbish for the past week or more. passable during the daytime so long as you don't want to stream or download anything, then after 4.30pm or 5pm it falls apart. pisspoor service it is.

We rang, finally after 2weeks of bad service, to complain at 3pm,couldnt even raise Yahoo. . The guy said he would check it and ring us straight back.Its 6pm and yahoo has finally come up but slow as hel_l and of course no return call.

Last time I went to the office to complain I was told its slow becsue too many people are using the internet. So its all our fault.

OK...today the technician finally arrived,and...same,same like always disconnected everything and than connected it back again,and...SAME,SAME NO(!) DIFFERENT,so we went to the Mae Rim TOT office find out what we else can we do...well,nothing much...so,just to do something I've asked to change as back to the "lower" group from 3mbs to 2mbs(I was just hoping for a...I don't know,a miracle?)

...well,they where very surprised "WHY?",but finally agreed...but we have to pay a penalty for braking a contract(!!!)RIDICULOUS!!!...and that what I kinda have said...so the penalty was waved and we will keep it only for 7 days,just as a test.

OK...so we came back home and...SAME,SAME NO DIFFERENT(way under 100kbs) !!!...so,if anybody has any other ideas,I'm all ears!!!

BTW,while being in their office,I've ask what kind of speed they are getting,so they pointed me to the test computer by the door...it had only 1(!!!)website available...yes,you guessed right ''www.sanook.com"...and you can see yourself,how fast is it working(I guess that's the ONLY website that works good) :D !!!

I didn't stop there...I've ask,if I could REALLY check the speed on their "office" computer.They...agreed!...but the office computers run at 8 Mbs(!!)...so we've checked...the ADSL speed was 6.6 Mbs,and the "our" internet speed...40kbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:):D:D:D:D

...any questions?

Now even the Thai speeds are collapsing ... adslthailand speed checker couldnt even complete testing and as for 'inter' - speedtest.net wouldnt even load.

Perhaps should organise a mass protest like the Thai farmers block the road - this is beyond a short term joke - someone (or the whole board) of TOT should be fired!

Now even the Thai speeds are collapsing ... adslthailand speed checker couldnt even complete testing and as for 'inter' - speedtest.net wouldnt even load.

Perhaps should organise a mass protest like the Thai farmers block the road - this is beyond a short term joke - someone (or the whole board) of TOT should be fired!

No problem here , took less than two minutes for this page to load on TV :D

But then I do have the TOT super deluxe platinumcyber package. :D

A mass protest by farang in Thailand <_<hmm ! Let me know the how it goes. :)

same as everyone else here, last week the sevice bombed, TOT say it is my modem, intersting thinks I have all of us bought a batch of duff modems, maybe we should do a poll or perhaps we shouls tell TOT that X chiangmai residents (where X=a number that say they have this problem) have all been told the same lame excuse and would they mind explaining how this can be so?

They always tell me that it's my ADSL modem/router (that they sold me) that is the problem,

We are using smoke signals out hear in Doi Saket :)

Just read everyone's messages. My brand new 2M connection has declined over the last two weeks from acceptably fast to tonight, its as bad or worse than my dial up was. Last week I wrote a message asking if those of you that have paid for the upgrade to 2M or 3 M feel cheated. Had a couple nice replies, but tonight, I wait and wait and wait for the pages to load in. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether they are inside Thailand or outside.

I never expected from what I read on TV when I finally applied for DNS to get close to what was advertised, but expected better than I've gotten the last two or three days.

I noticed my signal is not really strong and the little green internet light has been blinking off and on for two days. Seems worse when its windy and rainy. Thank to those who let us know its not just a few of us in this boat.

TOT internet almost completely at a standstill for the last two days - even Thiavisa fails to load most of the time. Strangely though, Skype and torrents seem to not be affected. While I couldn't sign into Yahoo yesterday afternoon, uTorrent was happily absorbing a TV programme at 200kbs plus (and before you say it, stopping the download had no effect on the speed relating to regular pages in or out of the country). Why might that be?

Edited by Greenside

TOT internet almost completely at a standstill for the last two days - even Thiavisa fails to load most of the time. Strangely though, Skype and torrents seem to not be affected. While I couldn't sign into Yahoo yesterday afternoon, uTorrent was happily absorbing a TV programme at 200kbs plus (and before you say it, stopping the download had no effect on the speed relating to regular pages in or out of the country). Why might that be?

Standstill is right. Last night it was taking 5-8 minutes to load a single web page. Speed tests would not even complete. The wife called the TOT help desk and we asked about the regional TOT problem, but the person said we were about the only people having a problem so they will send over a technician. I find it hard to believe they do not have an awareness of how many customers are affected.

I am as technically savvy as last week's sandwich- 6am for an hour or two is OK progressively the loading of pages in to the pm is almost stop however I have been able to watch internet tv uninterrupted why would that be?

Same here. After a month of crappy service I finally got TOT to send out a technician. Took one look at my 2-year old modem and shook his head. So, I "took the bait" and bought the TOT technician's high-speed modem for 800B. No receipt. Reason "for quick cash" followed by sheepish laugh.

Result: No change, possibly worse speeds. It's the system on the other end of your phone line.

Standstill is right. Last night it was taking 5-8 minutes to load a single web page. Speed tests would not even complete. The wife called the TOT help desk and we asked about the regional TOT problem, but the person said we were about the only people having a problem so they will send over a technician. I find it hard to believe they do not have an awareness of how many customers are affected.

i find it hard to believe too, since at least five neighbours and myself have called them to complain this week and last. get the feeling they're not bothered once they've got you on the hook.

I guess there's no chance of launching a class-action lawsuit against TOT. That may be the only thing that wakes them up to the fact that they have to make some sort of effort to deliver at least a half decent service. I would bet that many of the connection they sell couldn't possibly reach the max speed advertised, and to me that's basically false advertising. But I've lived in Thailand long enough to know that TOT is above the law (and run by a$$holes).

Edited by Beacher

i find it hard to believe too, since at least five neighbours and myself have called them to complain this week and last. get the feeling they're not bothered once they've got you on the hook.

..... and you've been in Thailand how long? :)

aye, true. just immensely frustrating though. don't feel we've any recourse at all.

Just got a call from the TOT technician and he was very apologetic and gracious. He said they are working on a major system problem but no word on when it might be resolved. Have to admit that is nice to have a help desk call you back, even though the immediate problem is still here.

Edited by T_Dog

Just got a call from the TOT technician and he was very apologetic and gracious. He said they are working on a major system problem but no word on when it might be resolved. Have to admit that is nice to have a help desk call you back, even though the immediate problem is still here.

It's not only nice, it's almost unique :)

/ Priceless