No, You Cannot Register The Car In Your Name.

G54

Yesterday I went to a small local office and taxed the car and the same office sorted the paperwork for changing the car to my name. Paperwork stamped. Duties paid. Signatures given. According to the office I have all I need except a copy of the 'House Book' from my landlady.

So, off I go to the main office with plenty of documentation to register the car in my name at the address I've been at for the past 16 months. And a copy of the house book.

They take a quick look at the documents and tell me I cannot register the car.

Farang no have 'House Book. No can register.'

???

Yes I can.

'No can. No can make vehicle name you. No have 'House Book'.'

I breathed in deeply and firmly said again that I can. I then told them that my Fino is in my name and at this current address.

The lady looked sceptical but took the registration book for the Fino and checked it thoroughly. She then checked the computer. Looked at the Fino registration book again and decided that maybe I could register the car now but only if I get a letter from the Amphur.

I asked, Why do I need a letter? I have proof of where I live (TOT bills, Water and Electric bills in my name. Even a letter from my Thai Lawyer with my address on - from a different matter).

I did not need a letter to register the Fino.

The woman shook her head and would not budge from her current stance.

Now the car remains unregistered in my name until my working Landlady can make time to trudge off to the Amphur to get a letter.

Beaurocrats !! You gotta love 'em :)

Strange how with the Fino I walked in with my registration book, passport and visa, and the paperwork required but no 'House Book' and the whole process took 2 hours from house to office and back home again.

Anyone else got their registration done with no 'House Book'??

better use service center to do the name changing....add around 1-2k but no hassle.

i registered my bike using that service center (the sign is a gear, yellow color) add around 1k. need only copy passport, and work permit. Received in few days along with new tax, book in my name and new license plate.

cheers.

One question. What's a bloke doing with a Fino? :D

Surely not riding it?

Plenty of men riding a Fino. What do you want me to do? Have sex with it? :D

:D

I think actually the way it's supposed to work is that you get to have sex with the little minx you bought it for.

Go find a minx to give it to is my suggestion. :)

One question. What's a bloke doing with a Fino? :D

Surely not riding it?

Plenty of men riding a Fino. What do you want me to do? Have sex with it? :D

:D

I think actually the way it's supposed to work is that you get to have sex with the little minx you bought it for.

Go find a minx to give it to is my suggestion. :)

I'm happy to buzz around on the Fino when the g/f is not using it. Quicker and cheaper to nip to the shops than the car. :D

This crap sounds very much like the visa crap...a different interpretation with every office. My Thai colleagues could not believe this until I told showed them some pages of this website.

They are now shocked & embarrassed (& so they should be). Too bad the civil servants aren't as shocked or embarrassed

My GF wanted a Fino!

I told her that she would never be allowed to use the car again as I would not ride one of them... (they are too gay/girly for me)

She told me to pick a small bike, so I bought a Mio, I am so happy with that one... Now I kick her to the car and I go off on the bike a few times a week for a special trip...

(we argue about who can ride the bike now!)

My GF wanted a Fino!

I told her that she would never be allowed to use the car again as I would not ride one of them... (they are too gay/girly for me)

She told me to pick a small bike, so I bought a Mio, I am so happy with that one... Now I kick her to the car and I go off on the bike a few times a week for a special trip...

(we argue about who can ride the bike now!)

Hmmm. Yamaha Mio Fino :D

Anyway a Mio is as girly IMHO.

I think that Finos must be about the most popular bike here in Nakhonsawan. Men, women, ladyboys. Everyone seems to be buying them. Some great colour schemes too.

OK, they may not be 'Macho' but for nipping around town they are good enough. Not as if I am off to a 'Hells Angels Rally' :)

I LOVE our Fino (it doesn't stall while doing a U-turn on the Superhighway) and gay I'm not.

It's registered with nothing more than a certificate of residence.

My D-Max got registered with a Tabien Ban si luan - no problem (although getting one was a pain in the neck)

I just went with the bike log book, a letter from immigration and my passport.

Handed the stuff in and the guy said come back in two hours and gave me a ticket.

After two hours I returned, gave him the ticket and viola, the job was done. He gave me everything back with the bike registered in my name.

Chris

I've been living here more than 6 years and registered 2 cars in that time with no problem at all. Went with my assistant with passport, work-permit and house rental contract and let him do the talking. Took no more than 15 minutes.

It's all about how you approach them I guess. We all know that it should be easy to do these things, and sometimes that dear old lady behind the counter who has been doing the job for a million years simply may never have come across a foreigner doing a registration before, so defer to default response is always 'no, we cant do it'. As you say, the moment you say 'YES, you can' - the brakes come on and you get no-where after that.

My mate always manages to just use charm to get around these things, and yes, sometimes a few Baht will grease the system for you. TIT. Everything here is based on beauracracy, but more often than not, you can get what you want if you go about it the right way.