Koh Phangan To Be Drugs-free Family Destination

george

Koh Phangan full moon image change

Phangan 'just says no'

97588-Full-Moon-Party-0.jpg

File photo.

KOH PHANGAN: -- Long associated with debauchery and wild Full Moon parties, moves are afoot to change Koh Phangan's image and make it a drugs-free island,

Koh Phangan, long associated with wild Full Moon parties, is undergoing an image change to make the island a family destination.

The monthly all-night Full Moon party on the Surat Thani island's Had Rin beach draws mostly foreign tourists and the event is synonymous with illicit drug use.

However, moves are afoot to rebuild the island's image as a drugs-free haven for holiday makers, with drugs authorities, residents and tourism operators committed to the efforts.

The Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Division 8, responsible for the upper South, has implemented a joint operation with residents and tour businesses to prevent the use of illicit drugs at the beachside party.

"The operation is the vehicle of our social order campaign to ensure partygoers stay away from drug abuse at the party," said Division 8 chief Surasak Klam-in.

The campaign is being conducted in consultation with stakeholders, including local leaders and tourism businesses from nearby Koh Samui, he said.

The division has asked locals to tip off police about any suspected drug-related activities on Koh Phangan.

Police have set up checkpoints along the main roads and at piers on both Phangan and Samui islands.

Police check partygoers at random for possession of drugs, such as cannabis, ecstasy and crystal methamphetamine, known as ya ice.

Undercover officers on the lookout for criminal activity mingle with the crowds.

Locals say the first Full Moon party was held 24 years ago. A resort on the island organised a farewell party for a group of about 20 foreign guests after an extended stay.

Since then a party has been held on Had Rin beach every full moon.

As the island's nightlife capital, the beach is home to dozens of nightclubs, pubs and restaurants.

Sound systems are erected along the one-kilometre beach to cater for the thousands of revellers who flock to the party every month.

Some revellers party too hard to be able to make the journey back to their guesthouses and end up sleeping on the beach.

"No one knows exactly when illicit drugs were first brought to the party," says Nikom Somwong, chairman of the Samui-Phangan Community Strength project.

Mr Nikom said as a community leader he was well aware of drug use at the parties. But he also recognised the monthly event is a big cash-spinner for Phangan and Samui islands.

Significant revenues are earned from food and drinks sold at the party.

Jongdee Thongchan, chief of Takian village in tambon Angthong on Koh Samui, said some people from the village go to the Full Moon party.

He was worried they would be exposed to drugs and could develop a drinking habit.

Mr Jongdee said he worked closely with family networks and drugs authorities to raise awareness of the risks of taking illicit drugs at local schools and homes.

Many partygoers, however, say it is perfectly possible to enjoy the world famous party without taking drugs.

Ilkka Happonen, a 24-year-old Finnish student, could not hide his excitement about attending the Full Moon party for the first time.

The Finn chose the island to celebrate graduating from the National University of Singapore.

"I'm very happy to be here. I have lots of fun and a great time with my friends. We drink and dance together and never take drugs," he said.

Grant Ligon, 21, from the United States, said he heard about the party from a friend who spent time on the island last year.

"He told me the party was full of fun and also warned me to avoid taking drugs there or I would be caught and sent to jail," said Mr Ligon.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-12

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is MORE than a coincidence we get this news a day after the - no more back to back tourist visa news.

In my opinion this is a backlash from the recent documentary big trouble in tourist Thailand which was aired on UK TV the other day.

Are there not enough "family friendly" places in Thailand? Do they really need to start messing with this place? In fact arn't the only two places in Thailand that are more Adult oriented, Pattaya & Kho Panag's full moon party. And no I'm not talking about a few lil strips in BKK like Soi Cow Boy, either I mean proper resort destination wise.

The roads from the ferry port to Haad Rin beach where the full moon party is held are treacherous. To encourage family orientated holiday makers the authorities would need to spend some money on infrastructure.

...and there lies the problem. The authorities spending money on anything but themselves. While a lot of money and wealth is generated on these islands. Very little comes back for trivial things like roads. It all goes to surat thani and is never seen again.

Samuhi on the other hand would have been perfect. One only needs to visit to see what a complete concrete mess they've made of that. Beautiful island 20 years ago.

The roads from the ferry port to Haad Rin beach where the full moon party is held are treacherous. To encourage family orientated holiday makers the authorities would need to spend some money on infrastructure.

...and there lies the problem. The authorities spending money on anything but themselves. While a lot of money and wealth is generated on these islands. Very little comes back for trivial things like roads. It all goes to surat thani and is never seen again.

Samuhi on the other hand would have been perfect. One only needs to visit to see what a complete concrete mess they've made of that. Beautiful island 20 years ago.

Thank you Pui, but please do some homework re Samui status & expenditure before commenting.

Now back to KPG subject.

Is'nt it just incredible what the 'family friendly' lovers are doing to this country. Since the last ten years, and especially the so calles war on drugs, Thailand has been changing from an exiting, free travelling destination with lots of place for beach parties and backpackers, into a boring 'family destination' meaning; attracting tourists who are welcome to spent all their money in some resort, in two weeks, and then get out! And what about the explosion of beer bars on Koh Phangan and Samui since that time, are they so family friendly then ?? I would say, after all this time in thailand, that there are enough family 'friendly' places in Thailand already with beaches taken over by private resorts, let places like Koh Phangan and Koh Tao be the same as they were before ( for Samui it's too late already ) and let the people spend some money on a drink and a party if they want to, instead of spending all their money in some horrible resort and never return to Thailand again!

Removed statement.Rooo.

Now that IS a "crack"down.

Haha! Somehow I highly doubt this will happen. The Police make a fortune in the pay-offs they receive for allowing drugs to be brought into the Island and then sold. Not to mention the entire chain of people that would be affected if drugs weren't available in Koh Phangan.

They have allowed this to happen since farangs started going to Koh Phangan, why stop now?

There is so much money pouring through the Island as it is, it makes you wonder why they are looking to change this?

The only answer could be to make more money !

Another brilliant tourism idea. Let's take an island that is world-famous and unique for something. Then, let's turn it into yet another family friendly beach destination with crappy infrastructure, which has well-established competition in every subtropical and tropical country around the world.

Now that IS a "crack"down.

Haha! Somehow I highly doubt this will happen. The Police make a fortune in the pay-offs they receive for allowing drugs to be brought into the Island and then sold. Not to mention the entire chain of people that would be affected if drugs weren't available in Koh Phangan.

They have allowed this to happen since farangs started going to Koh Phangan, why stop now?

There is so much money pouring through the Island as it is, it makes you wonder why they are looking to change this?

The only answer could be to make more money !

i total agree if kho phangan is gonna be family disstination hehehe they really need to bring a lot of bars down im doudting this very much ITS BS

Koh Phangan full moon image change

Phangan 'just says no'

97588-Full-Moon-Party-0.jpg

File photo.

KOH PHANGAN: -- Long associated with debauchery and wild Full Moon parties, moves are afoot to change Koh Phangan's image and make it a drugs-free island,

Koh Phangan, long associated with wild Full Moon parties, is undergoing an image change to make the island a family destination.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-12

OK, I am an old fart who now resides in Thailand and lord knows that I did my share of crapola in my misspent youth - but I did it in my own country. I am amused that people get so miffed at the idea that Thailand is somehow not going to just ignore their laws and culture for the tourists. It could not be more clear what the consequences are for doing drugs here. It's like the two blokes that got executed in Singapore a couple of years ago for smuggling coke and the whole world was outraged. hel_l, they tell you right on the customs form what they will do to you! If you are swimming bleeding in a pool of sharks you can expect to get bitten. Everyone acts surprised that the BIB bust them and then want cash to get them out of incarceration. God bless the kids but if ya pays your money then ya takes your chances........................

Aren't there already more than enough "family-friendly" destinations in the world? In this Great Depression II families ain't gonna travel too far because daddy and mommy ain't got money. It is the singles who are going to do the travelling and on the cheap. So cheap parties are going to be hugely successful.

Edited by tim73

I think it is MORE than a coincidence we get this news a day after the - no more back to back tourist visa news.

In my opinion this is a backlash from the recent documentary big trouble in tourist Thailand which was aired on UK TV the other day.

I agree. I watched the documentary and it didn't put the Full Moon Party in a positive light. Much of it focused on drug use at the party.

THAILAND HAS LOST IT.

there were not many drugs at the party when i was there several years ago, never even saw any weed - just lots of 'trust fund hippies' pretending to be poor. I heard there were undercover police on the train from BKK trying to extort anyone caught with illicit substances.

Had Rin itself was a disgrace, the bungalows were like mosquito infested dog kenels, never cleaned. filthy bed sheets.

i would never go there again. i wouldnt take a dog there never mind my family. (koh samui was also ruined from the beutiful beach place i visited 20 years ago too - never been back since).

as for a 'family friendly destination'.... WHY? THERE ARE 100's MUCH CLOSER TO U.S. RUSSIA AND EUROPE - SO WHY COME ALL THE WAY TO THailand, 1 or half a day on a plane with kids (NIGHTMARE) - if you had any sense you never would.

Thailand was the No 1 sex holiday destination, millions came for that and spent fortunes of cash. (all that money given to ladies in the morning is not on any accountants spread sheet - but it is still a HUGE part of thailands GDP - but in the black economy so no official percentages ever quoted).

so if you are number 1 on this planet at something stick with it thailand, why try ruin it and become another crappy family destination?? with more competition. there are 100s already on every continent - so stick to what you are good at.

(bet that'll get the 'holier than thou' lot going, but it is true IMHO)

Ha ha - just replying to the headline without reading anything else:

AND PIGS WILL FLY.

I wish the headline was true and I wish it could be drugs free and a family destination - but I think like many others, I have no faith in the authorities to be able to do this, or even make a real attempt at it.

I am the first one that has no moral right to complain about drugs as i did a some drugs many years ago,and this is not a new thing with young backpackers.However what the drugs scene is doing,is bringing in thai and farang drug dealers and more crime to fight over areas.This is the bad side of drugs and anyone who cannot see thats what the cops might be doing is on drugs :)

The other problem is that the cops will no dounbt have their areas to sell or get a commission,and thats why i believe there should be a crackdown as some of the lads and birds are ruining a beautiful place.

Another brilliant tourism idea. Let's take an island that is world-famous and unique for something. Then, let's turn it into yet another family friendly beach destination with crappy infrastructure, which has well-established competition in every subtropical and tropical country around the world.

Thats what I was thinking. The reason people go to Ko Phangnan is because it's not a family resort.

Are there not enough "family friendly" places in Thailand? Do they really need to start messing with this place? In fact arn't the only two places in Thailand that are more Adult oriented, Pattaya & Kho Panag's full moon party. And no I'm not talking about a few lil strips in BKK like Soi Cow Boy, either I mean proper resort destination wise.

Are u for real? Just cause this is Thailand should they allow adults to behave and cavort on drugs?

I dont think its going to make much of a difference because probably as much as 90% of the problem is alcohol related. try banning alcohol and see what the result is :)

the concoction of Vodka or Sangsom with the RedBull , ( thats as potent as cocaine ) that is put into buckets and drunk though a straw should be banned.

As to improving the island I think its a good step forward, but I think the lack of results to the bigger picture will be disheartening for everyone involved. There may be loads of arrests with little result apart from numbers....

THAILAND HAS LOST IT.

there were not many drugs at the party when i was there several years ago, never even saw any weed - just lots of 'trust fund hippies' pretending to be poor. I heard there were undercover police on the train from BKK trying to extort anyone caught with illicit substances."

You must have had a blindfold on the whole time if u didn't see any drugs or been offered them. Its well know that u can get anything u wish. I went to the full moon party over 18 years ago and pot, pills and brownies along with magic mushrooms were freely avaible and i have heard nothing has changed.

Close them down and let the youth get fuc_ked up in their own country or as you say closer to there home

I am not holier than thou, but i live here and see no reason why the thais should allow this, (except they love to make the $$ off of it)

Edited by phuketrichard

One thing to remember is that according to International Labour Organization "mere" ONE BILLION youngsters are coming to working age during 2010's, the mother of all baby boomers and mostly in ASIA. Of course most will be dirt poor but still it will mean that "party like a mad dog"-parties are going to be really really cool. :)

Asian youngsters are catching up fast all the bad sins of westerner teenagers....

Thats what I was thinking. The reason people go to Ko Phangnan is because it's not a family resort.

This is a good point, but the amount of trouble that is brought to the island because of the full moon party out ways the above. Its unfortunate for the people of kohphangan. Kind of a catch 22 situation. They want the business but don't want the trouble. I think these days the locals are willing to sacrifice the business, they've had enough of the trouble.