Phoning Thailand From The Uk

Mercury

Nam-Thip

sounds like you need to get yourself a LEBARA sim card for your mobile, call costs are 6 pence per min from uk to thai mobile or 4 pence to thai land line,sim cards are free as well. :)

Thanks for that info but how do i go about obtaining a LEBARA sim card?

Nam-Thip

sounds like you need to get yourself a LEBARA sim card for your mobile, call costs are 6 pence per min from uk to thai mobile or 4 pence to thai land line,sim cards are free as well. :)

Thanks for that info but how do i go about obtaining a LEBARA sim card?

you can obtain your free sim at Lebara-mobile.co.uk just fill out the online form and they will send it to you .I have also seen lebara stalls in shopping centres in the uk,and the high streets also.

Best way to go if your only in the uk for 4 months,and dont want to sign up with a mobile contract in the uk.

if your in the UK and have BTlandline then cant go better than phonecheap: 0844 200 9898 0.5p per minute but i think bt charge 10p connection charge.

i talk for hours everyday for next to nothin :)

whatever you do dont dial direct from BT lol.......

think cable and most mobile providers charge for 0844 but not sure because i dont use. check with your own company.

Edited by pacman32

I'm only in the UK for a period of four months and limited to using my mobile phone so magic numbers don't work with a mobile as they are intended for land line use only.

I had my BT land line disconnected some 13 years ago and cannot go down the road of having it re-connected as they want me to sign a twelve months deal which i cannot do as i'm only here for a limited period of time.

My sim card provider in the UK which in my case is Orange still charge me 25 pence per minute for international calls irrespective of which magic number is use with my mobile phone.

I tried using Rebtel but Orange still charged me alongside the Rebtel charges at 25 pence a minute.

What i need is a dedicated sim card which i have now ordered through LEBARA then i can remove the Orange sim and be charged by the one provider only.

LEBARA claims to offer cheap international calls to Thai mobiles at 6 pence a minute and 4 pence a minute to Thai land lines unlike Orange.

Assuming LEBARA is as cheap as it claims it will do for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what the best offers are these days.

I'm looking at Rebtel but know nothing about it. It comes out at 0.6p per minute.

What about mobile options ? I know about Skype out but that is a crap service when I've tried it. Echoes and bouncing sounds. Just unusable for voice calls.

There used to be some using local numbers and not charging anything from mobiles except they use your free minutes.

Any updates welcome.

I have been using Lycamobile for the last year or so, go online for a free sim card @ lycamobile.co.uk, calls rates to phone Thailand from mobile to mobile are 6 pence per minute, mobile to a Thai land line 4 pence per minute. Top up easy, supermarkets and corner shops ect or top up via credit/debit card.

Text messages 10 pence per text. None of the hassle of phoning another number first, just call the Thai number direct from your mobile.

At the moment people who have a lyca mobile sim card can call each other for free within the UK, so it's also a good thing if you have freinds in the UK who also have a Lyca Mobile sim card, sometimes have offers where you get extra credit which depends on the amount you top up.

Up to now never had a problem with service so a thumbs up from me. (Up to you, you choose.) :)

Before I moved from UK, I used Lebara mobile, I think on similar rates to Lyca mobile, and 6p min to call thai mob from UK lebara mobile, but I loved it as it was hassle free, no need to switch on comp for internet calling or find wifi for phone to access voip. decent service it was also good rates to call cross network mobiles in UK too, so had no need to swap sim cards, same as Lyca, can top up online or at many corner newsagents or supermarkets

Just wondering what the best offers are these days.

I'm looking at Rebtel but know nothing about it. It comes out at 0.6p per minute.

What about mobile options ? I know about Skype out but that is a crap service when I've tried it. Echoes and bouncing sounds. Just unusable for voice calls.

There used to be some using local numbers and not charging anything from mobiles except they use your free minutes.

Any updates welcome.

I have been using Lycamobile for the last year or so, go online for a free sim card @ lycamobile.co.uk, calls rates to phone Thailand from mobile to mobile are 6 pence per minute, mobile to a Thai land line 4 pence per minute. Top up easy, supermarkets and corner shops ect or top up via credit/debit card.

Text messages 10 pence per text. None of the hassle of phoning another number first, just call the Thai number direct from your mobile.

At the moment people who have a lyca mobile sim card can call each other for free within the UK, so it's also a good thing if you have freinds in the UK who also have a Lyca Mobile sim card, sometimes have offers where you get extra credit which depends on the amount you top up.

Up to now never had a problem with service so a thumbs up from me. (Up to you, you choose.) :)

Before I moved from UK, I used Lebara mobile, I think on similar rates to Lyca mobile, and 6p min to call thai mob from UK lebara mobile, but I loved it as it was hassle free, no need to switch on comp for internet calling or find wifi for phone to access voip. decent service it was also good rates to call cross network mobiles in UK too, so had no need to swap sim cards, same as Lyca, can top up online or at many corner newsagents or supermarkets

sorry for that guys, didn't see all the replies relating to lebara, but agree with the Lebara recomendations, used it for 2 years

I bought a Lebara pay as you go prepaid sim card last week whilst in town, £5 of credit included in cost of sim card, so sim card works out free...

Calls to Thai mobile 6 pence per minute, Thai landline 4 pence per minute

Lebara have 4 offers on at the moment valid until 30th of June, £10 of free credit when topping up £30.

Calls to UK landlines from UK 1 pence per minute all weekend (Sat 00.01 to Sunday 23.59)

Calls Lebara to Lebara UK calls up to 1000 free minutes and text messages, number of free minutes and texts depends on amount you top up by.

Also free internet on phone.

All info can be found on their website @ lebara-mobile.co.uk

I'm still using the Lyca mobile sim, but the Lebara one may come in handy as a back up even though I've never had a problem of using the Lyca one, these type of pay as you go sim cards IMO are really hassle free with a good quality network and no hidden charges or access codes.

Edited by MB1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...