Thai Airlines Promotion?

retiredinphuket

it is a tough time for airlines, travel is down and costs are up. fares are being slashed and battles abound for every seat.

now thai airlines has offered a special promotion to their most valued core market, their royal orchid, frequent fliers. for those who wish to redeem their points before the end of september, another royal orchid member may travel as well, 2 for 1! very nice indeed, i redeemed my points for two round trip tickets to tokyo. as with all promotions, there are conditions, no exception here. it must be must be round trip and both members must fly together. ok, surely this means they cannot travel separately? is it possible that if one could not make the trip for some reason the other would be denied passage? why would they do that? surely if they were prepared to take two, they could take one? in this case it is i, the point holder who can go and the other member cannot. i could have redeemed the ticket for my points and in no way benefit or am taking any advantage from the promotion.

i honestly believe this is a misinterpretation by thai staff. they say no, after checking with higher authorities in bangkok. how do they think their valued frequent flies feel being mistreated in such a way. there is no logic to it. i hope someone can clarify this for me.

it is a tough time for airlines, travel is down and costs are up. fares are being slashed and battles abound for every seat.

now thai airlines has offered a special promotion to their most valued core market, their royal orchid, frequent fliers. for those who wish to redeem their points before the end of september, another royal orchid member may travel as well, 2 for 1! very nice indeed, i redeemed my points for two round trip tickets to tokyo. as with all promotions, there are conditions, no exception here. it must be must be round trip and both members must fly together. ok, surely this means they cannot travel separately? is it possible that if one could not make the trip for some reason the other would be denied passage? why would they do that? surely if they were prepared to take two, they could take one? in this case it is i, the point holder who can go and the other member cannot. i could have redeemed the ticket for my points and in no way benefit or am taking any advantage from the promotion.

i honestly believe this is a misinterpretation by thai staff. they say no, after checking with higher authorities in bangkok. how do they think their valued frequent flies feel being mistreated in such a way. there is no logic to it. i hope someone can clarify this for me.

Kind of answered your own question RIP ( Retired in Phuket ). Using Airmiles is very restrictive, I have used mine mainly for upgrades, sadly now I have to get a few more flights in to pay economy and upgrade to business. Trying to actually book flights with miles only was a pain in the azz, I know what you mean, too many restrictions.

I came to Tokyo with Thai last Saturday, I never used any air miles this time and paid for Business class, the fare was 5500 Baht less than the last time I paid without using airmiles.

Down from 64,000 Baht to 58,500 Baht return, 6 months open.

if they already issued 2 tickets...all you need to do is turn up and check in. i seriously doubt they will disallow you from checking in, after all they issued you a ticket in your name. the other passenger's ticket will lapse (probably non refundable, non changeable).

not that it may not happen, but i have never heard of a ticket holder's checking-in being dependant on the presence of another ticket holder.

if they already issued 2 tickets...all you need to do is turn up and check in. i seriously doubt they will disallow you from checking in, after all they issued you a ticket in your name. the other passenger's ticket will lapse (probably non refundable, non changeable).

not that it may not happen, but i have never heard of a ticket holder's checking-in being dependant on the presence of another ticket holder.

Or get one of those life-size blow up dolls and put her in the seat beside you. :)