Becareful Walking Street

SoiGirlHunter

Walked into walking street tonight around 10pm and soon became apon a scuffle with police and an either Italian (whick i thought- white skin) or an Arab (which my girl thinks). Anyways my girl heard (in thai) the girl telling the police the man grabbed her breast and she wanted him arrested and demaned

big money! We walked on, wish now i hung around now.

My girl says she thinks she was a freelancer and disgruntled when the guy didnt take her.

Myself i noticed the police were very happy chomping for a big payday.

Edited by SoiGirlHunter

seems to be a common occurance now in walking street. Another thai scam, they seem to go for farangs that are drunk. Have seen it happen, and the girl wants 50,000 baht, then you have to pay the police. The penalty if you dont pay? I know of some guy from Finland who this happened to, he did not have the money, went to court, and he got 2 YEARS in prison, until he paid!!

Thailands reputation is getting worse and worse with this downturn, what with the scams at the airport. The police are also stopping a lot of farangs drivers, and searching for drugs, now thats very scary indeed!!

Walked into walking street tonight around 10pm and soon became apon a scuffle with police and an either Italian (whick i thought- white skin) or an Arab (which my girl thinks). Anyways my girl heard (in thai) the girl telling the police the man grabbed her breast and she wanted him arrested and demaned

big money! We walked on, wish now i hung around now.

My girl says she thinks she was a freelancer and disgruntled when the guy didnt take her.

Myself i noticed the police were very happy chomping for a big payday.

There is no end in sight for the resurection of Thailand as a good place to visit or live. It's all the Thai themselves who continue to shoot themselves in the foot on nearly every issue. Pattaya has declined more than any place. I lived there for four years and gave up and left for Esaan after repeated seriously dangerous situations kept popping up. The last was being physically assulted by stafff of a small hotel off soi Boocow, , when I complained of noise made by the staff at one AM. At 71 being punched three times by a young brush 25 year old Thai animal was the last straw. Call police, forget about it. Packed my bags and took my thai wife out of there and blew off a months rent. bottom line. Be carefull out there. It ain't America.

bell

thailand is getting worse for scams now..saw a new programme on television last sunday night called trouble in thailand ...and its on again next week...shows all the various scams like this...thailand will suffer tourism wise if it gets any worse........even on your way home now they want to get your last penny in the duty free scam...very bad news

thailand is getting worse for scams now..saw a new programme on television last sunday night called trouble in thailand ...and its on again next week...shows all the various scams like this...thailand will suffer tourism wise if it gets any worse........even on your way home now they want to get your last penny in the duty free scam...very bad news

I think you need to go here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Trouble-...nd-t291222.html

The thread is already 30 pages long.

so... do what now?

Go workout at the gym until you look like the Incredible Hulk.......then put tattoos all over your body.......have your head, except keep it Mohawk style.......wear black leather and sunglasses (even at night)......walk like a machine.......learn to stare with a "your gonna die if you even think about messing with me" attitude and talk like "The Godfather." :)

Scam ? maybe I don't know. Fact is though some people need to understand that the whole of Thailand isn't the inside of a gogo bar. You can't go around grabbing girls <deleted> on the street. I very loosely know a guy who groped a food vendor in Walking street, that cost him about 50 thousand baht.

Or could have been a lad taking liberties when he shouldn't have. :)

Or it could be that he's totally innocent and like OP's GF said - that she was feeling rejected because the lad wasn't interested. So in a moment of hasty desperation, she falsely accused him groping knowing that if big money is mentioned, the police will surely be on her side confident that there will a share for them. Even more sinister is the prospect that this gal works directly with the police and this a regular scam they pull off.

Of course, since the OP didn't hang around, which is understandable, we'll never know for sure. Hopefully, the alleged perp was deemed innocent until proven guilty (but I doubt it).

Due to the apparent rise in the number of scams, the severity of payment when suckered into one, and the uncertainty of what the police might do, I've completely lost interest in Thai nightlife - haven't gone to a bar in ages and no plans to go anywhere near one in the future. I'm afraid that things are so far out of control in Thailand with the police involvement in scams against foreigners that the situation is incurable. How long before Thailand is a virtual tourist ghost town?

Edited by Beacher

...I'm afraid that things are so far out of control in Thailand with the police involvement in scams against foreigners that the situation is incurable. How long before Thailand is a virtual tourist ghost town?

That puts it well, the feeling I have been having for a few months now. Out of control.

The government is not interested and I am convinced the reason comes down to the Thai cultural conformity. If the government prosecutes Thais it tacitly acknowledges at Thais rip people off. What is a slight against one Thai is a slight against all Thais. Ridiculous of course but it is the only viable explanation for the inaction. This is the reason the corrupt former TAT governor will see no prosecution, but of course the same principle applies to any Thai. When did anyone last hear of a Thai prosecuted and seeing the inside of a jail for fleecing a foreigner? It isn't going to happen, and it's not because there's any lack of evidence.

Completely out of control, Thailand is teetering on the brink of being a failed state. That should worry them but of course it doesn't.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

Or it could be that he's totally innocent and like OP's GF said - that she was feeling rejected because the lad wasn't interested. So in a moment of hasty desperation, she falsely accused him groping knowing that if big money is mentioned, the police will surely be on her side confident that there will a share for them. Even more sinister is the prospect that this gal works directly with the police and this a regular scam they pull off.

Of course, since the OP didn't hang around, which is understandable, we'll never know for sure. Hopefully, the alleged perp was deemed innocent until proven guilty (but I doubt it).

Due to the apparent rise in the number of scams, the severity of payment when suckered into one, and the uncertainty of what the police might do, I've completely lost interest in Thai nightlife - haven't gone to a bar in ages and no plans to go anywhere near one in the future. I'm afraid that things are so far out of control in Thailand with the police involvement in scams against foreigners that the situation is incurable. How long before Thailand is a virtual tourist ghost town?

I feel the same way. I used to enjoy the Thai nightlife, precisely because it was fun and safe. Now it feels dangerous and you can't relax as you have to be constantly on your guard.

I used to take regular trips to Pattaya, but will now probably never go again despite my love of many of the restaurants there.

Even in other places such as Bangkok and Chiang Mai, the "sanook" factor is disappearing to be replaced by wariness and defensiveness

so... do what now?

Go workout at the gym until you look like the Incredible Hulk.......then put tattoos all over your body.......have your head, except keep it Mohawk style.......wear black leather and sunglasses (even at night)......walk like a machine.......learn to stare with a "your gonna die if you even think about messing with me" attitude and talk like "The Godfather." :D

And then a 45 kilo thai will ride past on a bike and put a bullet in you, :) ..

so... do what now?

Go workout at the gym until you look like the Incredible Hulk.......then put tattoos all over your body.......shave your head, except keep it Mohawk style.......wear black leather and sunglasses (even at night)......walk like a machine.......learn to stare with a "your gonna die if you even think about messing with me" attitude and talk like "The Godfather." :D

And then a 45 kilo thai will ride past on a bike and put a bullet in you, :) ..

Oh.........did not think about that one........thought I had it figured out. Back to the drawing board............ :D

Well ME brethren known to be loose with the hands, so would it surprise me that this happened, not at all. Also like to point out even if she wasn't a "normal" thai girl it doesnt license one to be groped.

Is it possible the lady fabricated the story? Oh I'm sure, but from seeing how lads act on Walking Street when legless it wouldnt surprise me if she was telling the truth.

Well ME brethren known to be loose with the hands, so would it surprise me that this happened, not at all. Also like to point out even if she wasn't a "normal" thai girl it doesnt license one to be groped.

Is it possible the lady fabricated the story? Oh I'm sure, but from seeing how lads act on Walking Street when legless it wouldnt surprise me if she was telling the truth.

Remarkable really. If we create a sewer, we shouldn't be surprised if we see some t*rds floating past.

Sorry to say but this DOES happen, quite often, in Walking street..

I'm a young white female and go down walking street no more than 1-2 times a year. When I last took a walk down there, I had, quite a few times, Middle Eastern men trying to grab me or chat me up. I had one guy grab my arm and tried to pull me with him, I pulled my arm back and told him to not touch me. Last time I also had someone grab my bottom but I couldn't work out who it was when I turned around with it being so crowded. So I bet the walking street 'girls' get this all the time.. Looks like this girl was trying to make some fast cash..

I am not surprised at this happening in Walking Street because it seems that some of the men (Especially the Middle Eastern ones) think its perfectly OK to try to touch you. This is why I hardly ever go to Walking street anymore..

50,000 baht just for being touched does seem a bit harsh though.. A night in jail and a few thousand baht fine at the most should make the guy think twice again before touching a stranger. The guy was probably on holiday, drunk and trying to have a good time, and thought that all the girls in that area were there for one thing..

But yeah, It does happen :)

Edited by Meg_2003

I think a lot of people are panicking over nothing, I spend 6 nights every week in Walking St and it isn't over run with women pulling scams like this, there are however known free lancers that are a bit loose in the head shall we say and they are also known to the Thai police and volunteers.

This of course could have been an Arab, Russian, English, Turkish guy or indeed Italian as the op says taking the piss as that also happens (sometimes more than the TG's trying to scam I might add).

The comic show on the TV hasn't helped much although the Pattaya footage with Howard in my opinion would show a better side of Walking St and the way that the volunteers work, the TV company shot themselves in the foot IMO with the narration and with the jet ski incident.

Walking St ISN'T getting worse, you AREN'T going to get scammed by everyone you meet and it IS a good place to go for a night out, As always keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

:)

I spend 6 nights every week in Walking St

Why would any Pattaya resident want to spend six nights a week on Walking Street?

Serously?

In Dave's case it's probably because he owns the Bluesfactory, a well known Blues bar in Walking street :D

Hmmm I was wondering why he was pumping Walking Street, it all makes sense now

Why would any Pattaya resident want to spend six nights a week on Walking Street?

Serously?

In Dave's case it's probably because he owns the Bluesfactory, a well known Blues bar in Walking street :D

Hmmm I was wondering why he was pumping Walking Street, it all makes sense now

Not pumping it really just stating the facts, I also spend a lot of time on beer bars watching people walk up and down etc and IMO it is much much safer than the other soi's around town as there is at least some form of security there, after 3am however your on your own and granted there is a few incidents but no worse or more than other streets around the world.

IMO Walking St is a main hub and a main attraction of Pattaya with a great atmosphere and buzz.

:D

Serously?

Any male with functioning hormones knows why!

Wish I was there instead of drab, boring London, where beautiful sexy wimmin are few and far between.

Gorgeous women, people watching, the 2nd best show in Thailand after Nana Plaza at closing time; and all for free, or the cost of a drink or two.