Relocating To Thailand

threekids

I want to retire to Thailand next year with my 14 yr old daughter. I'd like to relocate to Phuket but at this stage am not sure. My daughter still has several years of high school to go and there is no way that I can afford to send her to an international school. I am hoping that one of you ladies can tell me if there are any other options school wise that are cheaper than the international schools. I have thought that perhaps I can hire a tuitor to teach her from home. I have heard that the foreign teachers are poorly paid and am thinking that I could pay

a teacher to tutor her during non school hours.

Hoping someone out there can help me.....

I want to retire to Thailand next year with my 14 yr old daughter.  I'd like to relocate to Phuket but at this stage am not sure.  My daughter still has several years of high school to go and there is no way that I can afford to send her to an international school.  I am hoping that one of you ladies can tell me if there are any other options school wise that are cheaper than the international schools.  I have thought that perhaps I can hire a tuitor to teach her from home.  I have heard that the foreign teachers are poorly paid and am thinking that I could pay

It seems to me that the only way around it may be for your daughter to learn Thai before you relocate and then enroll into a Thai school once you get here.

I think your'll be hard pressed to find an at home tutor for all subjects, plus the fact that it'll be hard for your daughter to integrate with other kids if she's home schooled.

Moving to another country she's gonna need to make some friends and without going to school that'll be much harder. It'll be a huge change for both of you and keeping some sence of a normal routine, especially for kids is important.

My advice is try to get her into a school rather than home tutored.

Good luck with your retirment :o

If you enroll your daughter in a local school or home school her in Phuket you will be seriously handicapping her abilities to attend university at home. 14 is a very hard age for a teenage girl, do you really think it is in her best interest to uproot her from all her friends and schools and thrust her into a culture where she doesn't speak the language and doesn't know the customs?

Perhaps you could wait a few years, until she starts university, before living the retirement of your dreams?

:o

I want to retire to Thailand next year with my 14 yr old daughter.  I'd like to relocate to Phuket but at this stage am not sure.  My daughter still has several years of high school to go and there is no way that I can afford to send her to an international school.  I am hoping that one of you ladies can tell me if there are any other options school wise that are cheaper than the international schools.  I have thought that perhaps I can hire a tuitor to teach her from home.  I have heard that the foreign teachers are poorly paid and am thinking that I could pay

It seems to me that the only way around it may be for your daughter to learn Thai before you relocate and then enroll into a Thai school once you get here.

I think your'll be hard pressed to find an at home tutor for all subjects, plus the fact that it'll be hard for your daughter to integrate with other kids if she's home schooled.

Moving to another country she's gonna need to make some friends and without going to school that'll be much harder. It'll be a huge change for both of you and keeping some sence of a normal routine, especially for kids is important.

My advice is try to get her into a school rather than home tutored.

Good luck with your retirment :D

Thanks for your advice Shola. Perhaps home schooling isn't going to be the answer. I'll keep searching the international schools and hopefully will come up with one that is not too expensive. I'm hoping that prices of the schools are a little exaggerated over the net. I have sent e-mails over the net to two of the schools asking for yearly costs but as of yet have received no replies.

Sorry about the stuff up of resending the original email and answers. I'm very new at using e-mails.

Dear SBK

Thanks for your advice. I get the feeling that you think I'm pretty selfish to want to uproot my daughter at this stage in her life. On most occasions I would agree with you. However, there are good reasons for the move to Thailand and retirement is only one of them. I'm very lucky as my daughter understands why we need to move at this point in time. Her education is very important and I don't want to stuff it up. Hence the last 3 months I have been on the internet making numerous enquiries into the education system...

I am not saying you are selfish, I am just saying I don't think you understand the full implications of what this could mean for her education and at 14, your daughter certainly doesn't. I don't have children but many of my friends do and I have to tell you that every single one of them (except one whose daughter is attending an international school in Phuket) has returned to their home countries for their children's education. And, my friend with the daughter at the intl school isn't particularly happy with the standard of english being spoken there (by the teachers as well as the students).

Edited by sbk

Thanks for the info.  I must say I'm surprised about the international school.  For the fees they charge I would have expected the very best of education.

I teach at what many would consider a very good international program and I'd agree that the standards are not the same here as back West as I taught there for a few years.

While some teachers are not paid well here anyone with good credentials and experience does expect to make better money. Most "qualified" teachers I know make enough that they don't pick up side jobs like tutoring. I'd say somebody good on a full time basis would be within their rights to expect $1000 USD a month. Many people that teach here are trained to teach English as a second language and that's not what you are looking for. Maybe get a few opinions in the teacher's forum as I am sure that there are other opinions on the subject.

Hi

My friend is married to a Thai lady and has stayed in Thailand for 20 yrs and he sends his kids to Singapore and they stay with relatives in Singapore, the education system there is english speaking and you dont need to send to international school

It is also cheaper as all schools in Singapore are english speaking and the standrards are very high

However accomodation, a guardian will be needed if you have relatives in Singapore that will be ok

A plane ticket from BKK to Singapore is only abt less than 5,000 baht and 2 hours away only

Just an idea only, may not work for you, the teens are a delicate age and to uproot and send them to another country the stress is very great

:o Perfect solution for some but unfortunately not for us Terry 74. My visions of moving to Thailand are starting to gurgle down the drain. A friend of a friend of a friend....has (apparently) contacted a friend of a friend of a friend

who works for the Minister of Education in Thailand. I have been told that (at some stage in the future) a list will be sent to me with info on some schools that may be suitable. Of course whether this ever happens or not is another thing. So I will continue my search as I have nothing to lose at this stage.

Be very cautious. As I told you on your thread in the teaching forum, there are only a handful of real international schools in Thailand. There are however, an increasing number of Thai owned and managed places which use the word "international" in their title, as a means of parting gullible Thai parents from their money. In actuality they are about as international as somtom, and entrusting your daughter to one of these institutions may seriously handicap her chances of being accepted at a university anywhere outside of Thailand.

I think it is a very "selfish" move to relocate your daughter all the way to Phuket. I am sorry but I just think it is. What is the reason for moving to Phuket now? For a Thai woman? Work? If it is, get your company to pay for her schooling!!!

Moving to another country is hard enough as it is let alone she has to adapt to a whole different culture and make new friends at 14. Teenage years are the hardest to adapt.

International schools are too expensive for you. Thai schools are not easy to enter if she cannot read and write Thai as the medium is Thai.

You should only do it after she has finished school. Sorry, that is what I think

There is a very good reason why the Thai elite usually send their children to be educated overseas. I am not just talking about their university education either. One former Minister sent his kids to New Zealand - to PRIMARY SCHOOL !! Now what does that tell you about the standards of education in Thailand?

Well I just spent 14 months there with my 14 yr. old daughter. She was on correspondence school the whole time, I don't know where you are from but we are from Canada and it doesn't cost anything. Was a bit of a hassle getting her to do the homework and mailing it in all the time but there are some courses that could have been done by e-mail. After the 14 months we came back to Canada as I still have one good job here (used to have two but lost the 2nd one due to coming back late - only had one year off). Now I am trying to decide whether to take early retirement and move there. I wouldn't listen to people who say you are selfish, there are alot of positive aspects of Asian culture when you compare it to our self centred one. The way kids are raised here makes me shake my head in despair. My daughter did well in all her courses but was on the honour roll before we came to Thailand and always did well in school.

I am a single parent and have worked 7 days a week at two jobs to attempt to live a reasonable life here in Canada but truthfully it did not work out that well. My kids were running wild because I was never home. My older girl got sick of watching her younger sister and would take off with her friends all the time. Yet with one job I would not have been able to pay the bills. I don't know what the answer is myself, but everyone should have choices besides working two shiftwork jobs just to be able to raise their kids and pay the bills.

I think it is a very "selfish" move to relocate your daughter all the way to Phuket.  I am sorry but I just think it is. What is the reason for moving to Phuket now?  For a Thai woman? Work?  If it is, get your company to pay for her schooling!!!

Moving to another country is hard enough as it is let alone she has to adapt to a whole different culture and make new friends at 14. Teenage years are the hardest to adapt.

International schools are too expensive for you. Thai schools are not easy to enter if she cannot read and write Thai as the medium is Thai.

You should only do it after she has finished school. Sorry, that is what I think

I absolutely agree with JoJo.

I can conceive of no sensible reason why a caring Parent would uproot their child and try to integrate her into such a difficult environment - particularly at such a sensitive age.

And ignore "New Age" nonsense such as "there are alot of positive aspects of Asian culture when you compare it to our self centred one". You may be wallowing in some sort of mid-life crisis which entices you to explore the life of a retiree in Thailand but your daughter has a whole lifetime ahead of her and this is the time when she should be nurtured and advised by you with that future in mind.

Forget too any thought of your daughter entering the Thai Education System - quite apart from the obvious language difficulties the whole system is virtually useless in preparing a child for further education in a Western University or College environment; and most Thai University Degrees are worth about as much as the paper they are written on.

Your daughter has a lot of growing up to do - and, frankly, I think you have too.

Patrick

:o After all of the advice I've received I've decided to stay here until my daughter finishes her high school education. Whether she decides to stay in Australia and go to uni or not will be her decision. As I've said in the Teachers Forum I want to thank you all for your candor and I realise that I would have totally stuffed up my daughters education if we moved now. So hopefully I may get to meet some of you in 2010.

I think it is a very "selfish" move to relocate your daughter all the way to Phuket.  I am sorry but I just think it is. What is the reason for moving to Phuket now?  For a Thai woman? Work?  If it is, get your company to pay for her schooling!!!

I absolutely agree with JoJo.

I can conceive of no sensible reason why a caring Parent would uproot their child and try to integrate her into such a difficult environment - particularly at such a sensitive age.

And ignore "New Age" nonsense such as "there are alot of positive aspects of Asian culture when you compare it to our self centred one". You may be wallowing in some sort of mid-life crisis which entices you to explore the life of a retiree in Thailand but your daughter has a whole lifetime ahead of her and this is the time when she should be nurtured and advised by you with that future in mind.

Forget too any thought of your daughter entering the Thai Education System - quite apart from the obvious language difficulties the whole system is virtually useless in preparing a child for further education in a Western University or College environment; and most Thai University Degrees are worth about as much as the paper they are written on.

Your daughter has a lot of growing up to do - and, frankly, I think you have too.

Patrick

:o Patrick,

When you grow female body parts, give birth to three kids, work a full time job for 22 yrs and spend most of these years as a single parent then maybe you will have the right to tell me to "grow up". But until then as far as I'm concerned you don't have that right. I find you a very insulting person not only to me but also to Here Today. What's wrong with New Age thinking. Perhaps if there were more people who had her beliefs the world would be a better place. You won't find her hanging out at bars till the early hours of the morning and constantly waking up with hangovers. Had no right to say that did I. How does it feel to be "catagorised".

Well I just spent 14 months there with my 14 yr. old daughter. She was on correspondence school the whole time, I don't know where you are from but we are from Canada and it doesn't cost anything. Was a bit of a hassle getting her to do the homework and mailing it in all the time but there are some courses that could have been done by e-mail. After the 14 months we came back to Canada as I still have one good job here (used to have two but lost the 2nd one due to coming back late - only had one year off). Now I am trying to decide whether to take early retirement and move there. I wouldn't listen to people who say you are selfish, there are alot of positive aspects of Asian culture when you compare it to our self centred one. The way kids are raised here makes me shake my head in despair. My daughter did well in all her courses but was on the honour roll before we came to Thailand and always did well in school.

I am a single parent and have worked 7 days a week at two jobs to attempt to live a reasonable life here in Canada but truthfully it did not work out that well. My kids were running wild because I was never home. My older girl got sick of watching her younger sister and would take off with her friends all the time. Yet with one job I would not have been able to pay the bills. I don't know what the answer is myself, but everyone should have choices besides working two shiftwork jobs just to be able to raise their kids and pay the bills.

:o Here Today,

It's great to speak with you. Unless one has been in the situations that both you and I have been in it's very hard to understand. Financially I am hitting the bottom. I was hoping that by selling my home and moving my daughter and I over to Thailand that our lifestyle would improve. I can no longer work due to a spinal injury and am starting to find it tough. I know what you mean about having to leave the kids at home while trying to bring the dollars in. I have nothing left in the bank but still have a mortgage. My eldest boys have left home and now live in different states to me due to their jobs. I felt it was time for my daughter and I to make the break. Unfortunately there are no corrospondence courses available for Australian kids. My daughter is bright but she still needs to have kids around her. It makes her a little competitive. I hope things work out for you and your kids. Please let me know your decision about Thailand. You never know perhaps one day we will meet. But until then please keep in touch.

:o Patrick,

When you grow female body parts, give birth to three kids, work a full time job for 22 yrs and spend most of these years as a single parent then maybe you will have the right to tell me to "grow up".  But until then as far as I'm concerned you don't  have that right.  I find you a very insulting person not only to me but also to Here Today.  What's wrong with New Age thinking.  Perhaps if there were more people who had her beliefs the world would be a better place.  You won't find her hanging out at bars till the early hours of the morning and constantly waking up with hangovers. Had no right to say that did I.  How does it feel to be "catagorised".

Hmmm

So, unlike anyone else on planet Earth, you have worked a “full time job” for 22 years but by the miracle of your “female body parts” somehow produced 3 children, one of whom is now 14 years old – and as a single parent! - jolly good show!

Reality check "threekids"!

Your daughter did not ask to be born, you made that decision, and you cannot abdicate responsibility for her education and future now simply because you feel you have had enough hardship in life and it’s time to make a change.

I make no apologies for repeating my original assertion, your attitude is selfish and immature, no ones life comes with a guarantee of any sort, however we must all accept responsibility for our own actions and decisions – particularly when they affect those who are unable, or too young, to make their own.

I would also wonder about your daughters’ feelings towards you now, even though you have apparently abandoned the idea of “dropping out” (I believe that is the term), without any proper consideration for her future educational and social development - I assume you discussed the idea with her? Oh dear, I am making assumptions again!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Your daughter did not ask to be born, you made that decision, and you cannot abdicate responsibility for her education and future now simply because you feel you have had enough hardship in life and it’s time to make a change.

I make no apologies for repeating my original assertion, your attitude is selfish and immature, no ones life comes with a guarantee of any sort, however we must all accept responsibility for our own actions and decisions – particularly when they affect those who are unable, or too young, to make their own.

Patrick

Well many people think it is an incredible opportunity for a kid to see another way of life and another culture. Our culture in N. America is certainly not the greatest. It is a terrible thing for women not to put their kids first but men do it all the time, for example I am owed $26,000.00 in child support. If my kids ever went to university they would have to take heavy duty student loans. And actually I have worked as hard as I could - harder really, I have some heart condition now from working shiftwork jobs 7 days a week for years. My body made the decision for me, no use working yourself to death for others.

threekids, as a woman I do not think that it was right for you to say that just because Patrick is a man, he does not know the meaning of bringing up kids. I think nuturing children should be BOTH parents responsibility. :o

I still think it would be wiser for you to stay put in Aussie for your daughter to finish her education first. I personally have studied in Aussie and lived there and I think it is a great place to be. :D

It may seem like a good idea now to move to Phuket but you must remember, LIVING in a country and visiting it on and off for holidays gives you a completely different picture. It would be a huge culture shock to your daughter and moving to another country (non-English speaking) is always stressful. She is 14, a teenager going through a lot of emotions, hormones, mental and physical changes. She really does not need additional worries/stress.

I know it is hard on you as you are unable to work. Doesn't Aussie have single mother allowances, social security or disability payments? I assume you are a single mom as you didn't mention the child's father/your husband in the thread.

Here Today may be successful in educating her/his daughter but not all cases are the same........and not all situations will have the same results. It would be a big risk if you moved all the way here and decided that you had to go back again. I personally would do it after my daughter has finished her education.

I do wish you all the best though. :D

Financially I am hitting the bottom. I was hoping that by selling my home and moving my daughter and I over to Thailand that our lifestyle would improve. I can no longer work due to a spinal injury and am starting to find it tough. I know what you mean about having to leave the kids at home while trying to bring the dollars in. I have nothing left in the bank but still have a mortgage. My eldest boys have left home and now live in different states to me due to their jobs. I felt it was time for my daughter and I to make the break. Unfortunately there are no corrospondence courses available for Australian kids.

Hey threekids,

Just noted your coments re. Aussie correspondence schools.

I don't know where you live in Australia, but I know there is definately yrs 7-12 Govt run correspondance available in Victoria.

From memory it's based in Sth Melbourne. I also believe it's available to all Australian students. (It's very reasonably priced)

My sisters were enrolled when living in Taiwan, and it's very professional and well regarded.

BTW ... They had an amazing experience and made friends even though they weren't locally schooled.

I'm sorry to read of your health issues...as this can have an enormous effect on one's financial situation.

If you can't move o/s maybe you should consider a move north ( if you're not there already).

In areas such as Cairns, houses cost less, it's a beautiful place to recuperate and the weather is almost as good as Phuket!

If you're considering selling up... give yourself time to get the price you need... real estate sales have notably cooled/slowed down in most states.

(maybe you could relocate closer to family who could give you some support with your situation).

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Financially I am hitting the bottom. I was hoping that by selling my home and moving my daughter and I over to Thailand that our lifestyle would improve. I can no longer work due to a spinal injury and am starting to find it tough. I know what you mean about having to leave the kids at home while trying to bring the dollars in. I have nothing left in the bank but still have a mortgage. My eldest boys have left home and now live in different states to me due to their jobs. I felt it was time for my daughter and I to make the break. Unfortunately there are no corrospondence courses available for Australian kids.

Hey threekids,

Just noted your coments re. Aussie correspondence schools.

I don't know where you live in Australia, but I know there is definately yrs 7-12 Govt run correspondance available in Victoria.

From memory it's based in Sth Melbourne. I also believe it's available to all Australian students. (It's very reasonably priced)

My sisters were enrolled when living in Taiwan, and it's very professional and well regarded.

BTW ... They had an amazing experience and made friends even though they weren't locally schooled.

I'm sorry to read of your health issues...as this can have an enormous effect on one's financial situation.

If you can't move o/s maybe you should consider a move north ( if you're not there already).

In areas such as Cairns, houses cost less, it's a beautiful place to recuperate and the weather is almost as good as Phuket!

If you're considering selling up... give yourself time to get the price you need... real estate sales have notably cooled/slowed down in most states.

(maybe you could relocate closer to family who could give you some support with your situation).

Good luck.

I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland. So far I have only checked with the Queensland Department of Education. I'm hoping that I can last financially for the next five years until her education is finished. If not I'll have to look into the educational systems when I need to. I love Cairns but it has become more expensive than the Gold Coast nowdays. As far as family goes its just my two boys my daughter and myself. It's been this way for most of the last 25 yrs. I appreciate your advice and I'm sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. My computer decided to take some vacation time.

On the subject of the Thai education system, is it really that bad? Why wouldn't someone with a Thai high school education and fluent English be admitted to a Western university? As for the Thai elite sending their offspring to foreign schools, surely that's just another status play for them, rather than genuine fears about the Thai system ???

Just some general points - or questions really - I'm not making any specific comments on threekids' situation...

As a parent of children being raised in Thailand my comment would be, the dream and the actuality are two different things.

International schools are indeed expensive, but that is not the end of it, the children at international schools are also almost entirely wealthy or from very finacially advantaged backgrounds - its not just the school, but the social life that comes with it.

At 14 years old your daughter would be under extreme pressure to keep up with her class mates, in and out of school. It's the out of school bit that is difficult.

A second consideration is, very many professional expats head home when their children get to the age of 12 or 13 years old, they do so because they realise that international schools are not what they claim to be.

There is of couse the issue of parental permision to move overseas with your daughter, if her father is alive, he has the right to protest the move. But I uess that's another thread