US Passport Renewal Hell - Thailand Edition May 2024

Posted (edited)

I've been reading through old US Passport Renewal threads and obviously the process is not fun.  But unfortunately this year is the year I need to do it and this is the time I need to do it.  So onward with questions as what looks to be a straightforward process, given what I'm reading in pass threads, is anything but intuitive.  I'd like to get the application filled out and mailed out by next week.

So I'll start the questions:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read the paying the $130 application fee via Pay.gov does not work here in Thailand.
I've just done a test run to see if Thailand shows up or not.  It seems to show (see screenshot).  So has anyone who has done a renewal recently been able to successfully submit this form?

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2720-00-02.png.f5f04be9dc1784d1fbf7562c5f03f3fa.png
(I'm not punching it in yet and paying as I want to see what other surprises I run into while filling out the application).
Regarding pictures:
I had US Passport pictures made today in Chiang Mai.  Got them home and measured them.  They are suppose to be:

The correct size of a passport photo is:

2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) 

Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head 

Mine are
2.25 x 2.25 inches
Head is 1 1/2 from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

Obviously the picture I received do not fit the requirements.  So - off to a different photo store to try again tomorrow. 
I knew this was going to be an issue.  No surprises at all - it is an issue. How do you go to a place that says they understand how to correct print US passport photos - and then they botch it?

😕 Welcome to US Passport Renewal Hell. 
I've checked the US Passport picture that I had made in 2015 (yeah, I still have it).  Measured the photo and it is exactly the correct measurements. 
Tomorrow I will check to make sure that photos have the correct measurement before leaving the shop - and - I won't be using the place I had today's photos made again.  And I'll take the "good" passport photo with the "bad" one for comparison, and bring a tape measure too boot. 

Regarding the  Thailand Post Courier Pass Back envelope fee ฿100 THB:
What forms of payment does this application take.  I read another post where someone could not get the application to accept a payment.
So what sort of payments are accepted. 

Right at the moment I can't find out because - I can't create an account. 

Surprise, surprise, surprise - Welcome to US Passport Renewal Hell. 🙄

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2720-37-53.png.631b708d914db418acb0c8758adf3671.png

Edited by connda
  • Confused 8
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Others don't seem to have similar problems .

You can use an agent if it's too difficult. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316179-american-passport-renewal-process/ 

For Passport photos you need to get from expert photo shops. 

I'm not going to name who they are (Thai defamation) but they are supposed to be experts.
But I'm not sure that I got the "regular" staff photographer.  The staff seemed confused about what they were doing, and my wife who was talking with them was absolutely livid when we left.  I was not a fun trip to Chiang Mai. 

• Haha 1

Just now, connda said:

But I'm not sure that I got the "regular" staff photographer. 

I renewed my pp recently.

From previous experience (10 year back) I had my photos taken locally.

They were rejected at AU embassy.

This time I took trouble to drive to professional studio.

I had guidelines of AU requirements.

They took quite some time processing and adjusting.

200b. Seemed ridiculously cheap. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Regarding pictures:

The guy at the place I suggested to you earlier knows exactly what is required, he hasn’t failed once over the years, even with the pp photos.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You can use an agent if it's too difficult. 

Personally I’d say away from any business that has the words agent or visa in its name, hasn’t failed me yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but what does renewing a US Passport have to do with the Thai visa forum? Mods seem happy to answer you but just confused why?

Should I post about my upcoming Australia passport renewal here as well 😆 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Should I post about my upcoming Australia passport renewal here as well

You can post in forum "immigration and visas to other countries" which is more appropriate forum.

You may not receive a reply.

I recently used MAIL option to renew my Oz pp.

Very simple. Turn around 20 days.

You mail to AU embassy Bangkok seamless and mailed back to you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, connda said:

I've been reading through old US Passport Renewal threads and obviously the process is not fun.  But unfortunately this year is the year I need to do it and this is the time I need to do it.  So onward with questions as what looks to be a straightforward process, given what I'm reading in pass threads, is anything but intuitive.  I'd like to get the application filled out and mailed out by next week.

I read the paying the $130 application fee via Pay.gov does not work here in Thailand.
I've just done a test run to see if Thailand shows up or not.  It seems to show (see screenshot).  So has anyone who has done a renewal recently been able to successfully submit this form?

(I'm not punching it in yet and paying as I want to see what other surprises I run into while filling out the application).
Regarding pictures:
I had US Passport pictures made today in Chiang Mai.  Got them home and measured them.  They are suppose to be:

Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head 

Mine are
2.25 x 2.25 inches

Obviously the picture I received do not fit the requirements.  So - off to a different photo store to try again tomorrow. 
I knew this was going to be an issue.  No surprises at all - it is an issue. How do you go to a place that says they understand how to correct print US passport photos - and then they botch it?

I've checked the US Passport picture that I had made in 2015 (yeah, I still have it).  Measured the photo and it is exactly the correct measurements. 
Tomorrow I will check to make sure that photos have the correct measurement before leaving the shop - and - I won't be using the place I had today's photos made again.  And I'll take the "good" passport photo with the "bad" one for comparison, and bring a tape measure too boot. 

What forms of payment does this application take.  I read another post where someone could not get the application to accept a payment.

Did my US Passport in Nov last year,  had no problems, followed the directions< received it in Phuket 41 days after sending it off to Embassy
Than had an agent do all the transfers to new passport 3 months later ( as my last extension was done by an agent)
at the same time as my 1 year extension and 90 day report.

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sorry, but what does renewing a US Passport have to do with the Thai visa forum? Mods seem happy to answer you but just confused why?

Should I post about my upcoming Australia passport renewal here as well 😆 

Mods can move it to wherever it fits best.

I put it in here because other this is where other threads like this have been placed:
https://aseannow.com/topic/1319506-usa-passport-renewal-question/

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I've spent the entire morning trying to purchase the Courier Pass Back envelope.

Multiple problems.

First - trying to sign up but it won't accept my email address.
Finally used the Sign in using Google account option.

Second: 
I've tried purchasing with a Thai debit card.  I get to CardX/SCB screen where my mobile phone correctly show and it indicates it will send an OPT - but then fails saying the transaction information is not correct.  It's a good debit card.  I'm at a loss.

Tried internet banking, but the 1-2-3 pukes out at an "Enter a phone number" written in Thai.
Other payment options don't work, probably because I'm a foreigner.

So - what are my other options to purchase a Courier Pass Back envelope which I can't seem to purchase online.

Edited by connda
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, connda said:

I've spent the entire morning trying to purchase the Courier Pass Back envelope.

Here is a thread re USA pp.

Has useful links and reports 

Note: After you have your new pp..... when you attend immigration to transfer stamps if on extensions retirement using funds in the bank method some immigration offices (eg CW) want your bank book and copies of all pages back to date of current extension.

Off topic but putting it out there.

This is new requirement 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ok - finally paid for the Courier Pass Back envelope.  I got the QR Code option to actually work - Hallelujah!  Received an email "receipt" notification for the envelop that is printed in Thai.  I guess I send the US Embassy in Bangkok what has been sent to me - in Thai.

Checked the "Purchase" in the Thailand Post Mart and it is set to "Waiting" whatever that means.  But I have receipts of payment from both the bank (in English) and from the Thailand Post Mart (in Thai).  Whatever - the Order Number is clearly written on the Thai receipt and essentially that's all they need I'm assuming and the product clearly states it's a Courier Pass Back envelope for the US Embassy Bangkok.

Ok - now to print the "Checklist" and check this one off. 

A full 2 hours this morning in US Passport Renewal Hell.  :wacko:  What fun!  👿

Edited by connda
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Well after checking off my prepaid Courier Pass Back envelope on my checklist, I see this confusing line:

"Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

Didn't I just provide them with a Pre-paid Courier Pass Back envelope? 
So according to the instructions:
1) You must used the Prepaid Thai Post Office Courier Pass Back envelope if applying for a U.S. Passport in Thailand - but - 2. "Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

Man - this is right out of Joseph Heller's Catch 22.  Can anyone take a stab at explaining the Catch-22 meaning of these conflicting statements?  Thanks!

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, connda said:

Well after checking off my prepaid Courier Pass Back envelope on my checklist, I see this confusing line:

"Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

1) You must used the Prepaid Thai Post Office Courier Pass Back envelope if applying for a U.S. Passport in Thailand - but - 2. "Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

Man - this is right out of Joseph Heller's Catch 22.  Can anyone take a stab at explaining the Catch-22 meaning of these conflicting statements?  Thanks!

Might be that the words are tricky. You are not so much as "applying" for a passport as "renewing" one.  Maybe that's it???

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Might be that the words are tricky. You are not so much as "applying" for a passport as "renewing" one.  Maybe that's it???

Word salad - it has me confused Mr. Drake.  Just don't know.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

You can buy the Courier Pass back at a Thai Post Office, but again, most seem able to purchase this online.

It's a moot point because as instructed, "Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand." When I did this last year, I got a separate cashier check for the embassy to use as fund to send my new pp to me when the embassy got it from US passport services. 

A side note to American expats in Bangkok: best to just do it in person at the embassy, even though they try to "talk" you out of it in so many ways - but no where did they say "No way!" Someone  on in this forum insisted this in-person approach as he distrusted all mail services. He showed up at the embassy, submitted the forms, photos,  money matters to a real person, and told her to email him when the embassy got his new pp so he could come back and collect it. That's how he got his new pp.

Best part of this, beside all documents  passing from his hands directly to the embassy staff, and vice versa on the way back, is if anything not acceptable (forms, photos, money matters) he will know it right then and there. Had I done it this way, I would still have a full head of hair.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Word salad - it has me confused Mr. Drake.  Just don't know.

I do remember that on the embassy website it said that those applying for a passport the first time had to do so in person at the embassy. Frankly, it would be easier if they just let all of us go to the embassy like they used to.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, connda said:

You must used the Prepaid Thai Post Office Courier Pass Back envelope if applying for a U.S. Passport in Thailand - but - 2. "Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

Where are you getting your information??????

That's not what the official us embassy instructions say.  You pay a fee for return postage, not an actual envelope.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, watthong said:

It's a moot point because as instructed, "Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand." When I did this last year, I got a separate cashier check for the embassy to use as fund to send my new pp to me when the embassy got it from US passport services. 

A side note to American expats in Bangkok: best to just do it in person at the embassy, even though they try to "talk" you out of it in so many ways - but no where did they say "No way!" Someone  on in this forum insisted this in-person approach as he distrusted all mail services. He showed up at the embassy, submitted the forms, photos,  money matters to a real person, and told her to email him when the embassy got his new pp so he could come back and collect it. That's how he got his new pp.

Best part of this, beside all documents  passing from his hands directly to the embassy staff, and vice versa on the way back, is if anything not acceptable (forms, photos, money matters) he will know it right then and there. Had I done it this way, I would still have a full head of hair.

How did he get an appointment? There is no option on the online appointment schedule for passport renewals.

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How did he get an appointment? There is no option on the online appointment schedule for passport renewals.

True, appointment for passport renewal is not an option on the website, but there was no definite no-no as in "you can't just show up and barge in to renew your passport!" (The instructions wording is rather obtuse when it comes to this, at purpose I must say.) 

The guy just showed up at the gate with all the forms in hand and prolitely told the guard that he would like to renew his passport. He was let in. I did mull over this option myself, but like most, was too chicken to do it and had to gone through all the miseries of doing it by mail.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, connda said:

Regarding pictures:

Mine are
2.25 x 2.25 inches

55 minutes ago, connda said:

Just send the email you got from Thai Post, in the past you could use your own envelope prepaid but that no longer applies

• Thanks 2