Cat Telecom Eyes Wimax Deal With Mcot

george

Even Lao, a more third world country with less infrastructure has had 3G for the last year. Even the bankrupt country philipeans has had it several years.

I asked dtac 1 year ago why they were not introducing 3g yet, the lady in the office stated that the infrastructure was old, but nokia has since updated their networks.

2.5g speeds

True 1.2 kbs

One2call 4.2kbs

Dtac 22.3kbs

so whichever company has 3g, dtac will win, because they have the fastest internet infrastructure already.

true gave me free internet & wifi, not worth the ink on the paper, absolutely the worst internet connection, dialup is quicker.

Even Lao, a more third world country with less infrastructure has had 3G for the last year. Even the bankrupt country philipeans has had it several years.

I asked dtac 1 year ago why they were not introducing 3g yet, the lady in the office stated that the infrastructure was old, but nokia has since updated their networks.

2.5g speeds

True 1.2 kbs

One2call 4.2kbs

Dtac 22.3kbs

so whichever company has 3g, dtac will win, because they have the fastest internet infrastructure already.

true gave me free internet & wifi, not worth the ink on the paper, absolutely the worst internet connection, dialup is quicker.

What system are you quoting the speeds from here? Edge?

If Dtac can give 22.3kbs, that would just about be useable, but very frustrating. At least I normally used to get better than that with Ipstar.

True 1.2 kbs

One2call 4.2kbs

With speeds like this, what do you do? Click on open email, go away and have lunch and come back with the hope that it may have opened?

My CAT CDMA connection may not be that great, but at least it is normally around 200kbs when connected to a UK website and rarely drops below 100.

My CAT CDMA connection may not be that great, but at least it is normally around 200kbs when connected to a UK website and rarely drops below 100.

Do you mean that the file transfer rate is 200 Kilobytes per second?

When I was using EV-DO "Revision 0" (maximum download speed 2.4 Mbps) 2 years ago in CAT CDMA network in the North East of Thailand (Udon Thani, Nongkhai) I was able to download files at 215 Kilobytes per second.

Now CAT CDMA has upgraded its 3G network in Thailand to EV-DO "Revision A" (maximum download speed 3.1 Mbps) and we can download files even faster, at 300 Kilobytes per second...

When I was using HSDPA connection in Singapore (3G GSM network) the downlink file transfer rate was only 20 to 50 Kilobytes per second.

It proves that EV-DO is a better technology than HSDPA, and there is in fact a very good 3G network in Thailand in the form of CAT CDMA which was launched 3 years ago.

In this respect Thailand is far ahead of China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh (the countries where CDMA is popular).

Actually CAT CDMA was one of the first 3G networks in South East Asia. But very few people know about that.

So, don't wait for HSDPA (3G GSM network) in Thailand, just go and subscribe to CAT CDMA EV-DO unlimited plan at 790.- Baht per month.

Waiting for HSDPA (3G GSM network) in Thailand may take 2 or 3 years more...

PC5220%20EVDO%20speed.jpg

Edited by Barin

No, Kilobits per second. That's a normal speed for connection to British websites. A speedtest to Bangkok will normally return 500 Kilobits. On the odd occasion I will get 1.5 Mbits, but very rarely nowadays.

When I first got CAT CDMA, I was regularly getting downloads of 1 Mbit plus, 400Kbits upload.

It seems that the more people who join, the slower it gets!

Of course - I've just done a speedtest and it's made me out a liar :)

To Bangkok 1.05Mbits/0.21

Speed to UK more usual

To London 0.18Mbits/0.11

post-12326-1253603490_thumb.jpg

PS..This is EV-DO Rev A

Edited by loong

I really think the problem is not with anyone but the legislation and the NTC. Companies in Thailand are ready to invest in these technologies for over 5 years already it's just that they don't have the license to do it yet simply because NTC can't figure out how to auction out the frequency. It's just sad.

To sum it up, it's not that this country is third world or anything. I would classify Thailand as a country with "developed infrastructure" but third world mentality. =)

When I was using EV-DO "Revision 0" (maximum download speed 2.4 Mbps) 2 years ago in CAT CDMA network in the North East of Thailand (Udon Thani, Nongkhai) I was able to download files at 215 Kilobytes per second.

Now CAT CDMA has upgraded its 3G network in Thailand to EV-DO "Revision A" (maximum download speed 3.1 Mbps) and we can download files even faster, at 300 Kilobytes per second...

When I was using HSDPA connection in Singapore (3G GSM network) the downlink file transfer rate was only 20 to 50 Kilobytes per second.

It proves that EV-DO is a better technology than HSDPA, and there is in fact a very good 3G network in Thailand in the form of CAT CDMA which was launched 3 years ago.

In this respect Thailand is far ahead of China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh (the countries where CDMA is popular).

Actually CAT CDMA was one of the first 3G networks in South East Asia. But very few people know about that.

So, don't wait for HSDPA (3G GSM network) in Thailand, just go and subscribe to CAT CDMA EV-DO unlimited plan at 790.- Baht per month.

Waiting for HSDPA (3G GSM network) in Thailand may take 2 or 3 years more...

Sorry mate but absolute c...p, your experience in Singapore does not prove anything. Were you connected via your EVDO modem by any chance :D

WCDMA (GSM) based 3G has been built and in commercial use long before CAT ever heard of EVDO....

Malaysia went live Apr 2003

HK Jan 2004

Singapore Feb 2005

Phils Feb 2005

Indo Sep 2006

Vietnam is now following the rest, several operators shutting down their CDMA networks within a year or so once their HSPA is build up.

I still agree with you that CAT EVDO is in theory 3G and is good system and the best and only option for wireless data in Thailand. If you happen to live in the sticks.

And your email is [email protected] :)

Edit: btw in Singapore it is all wifi nowdays. Excellent service "wireless@sg" that has coverage almost everywhere in town nowdays. And free of charge! Visitors can get 24hr free usage. Just follow the promo sms they send you when arriving with roaming phone...

Edited by MJo