Why Does Everyone Pay With Their Debit Card?

DonJuanDemarco

one of the things i hate about America is that its too difficult for people to carry cash so every checkout isle has a long wait for the moron to swipe their debit. same thing in thailand more and more it seems, especially among women. so much easier than carrying cash? i have never used a debit card to buy something in my life. i carry cash like a man. what is this non sense?

one of the things i hate about America is that its too difficult for people to carry cash so every checkout isle has a long wait for the moron to swipe their debit. same thing in thailand more and more it seems, especially among women. so much easier than carrying cash? i have never used a debit card to buy something in my life. i carry cash like a man. what is this non sense?

In my country, between 80-90% of all shop transactions are done by debit card (NOT by Credit Cards) and I'm talking every shop.

Only on street markets and in the drugs- and (some) car business deals are done with cash.

You just slide your debit card through a small machine and enter your 4-digit pin-code and press OK. At the same time the money is deducted from your bank account (if there's enough money, of course and you're not surpassing the limit if you have one... :) )

That's all.

In the US (although I haven't been there for quite some time) it takes a lot longer; I don't know why but assume many people also pay with their credit cards.

Don't know about Thailand since I never used debit cards in LOS.

LaoPo

Same in UK. People use them all the time and more and more in Thailand.

I also want to know why some people (especially women :) ) don't get their money ready until they're asked for it and then spend ages looking for their purse and then counting change etc...

I guess people just enjoy making banks richer by the hour and then complain how they get ripped off by banks , I have watched people pay for a candy bar with a debit card in a discount store , notwithstanding the $2.00 charge many banks charge for 'The priviledge' each time it is used , 555 .

1. There is no foreign-ATM charge for a debit card purchase. If anyone is paying one you should get a new bank, but I have never paid that type of fee ONCE.

2. Uh, it DOESN'T take longer in the US.. I don't know if u were inventing that or basing it on the OP. :)

3. Some banks will give you reward points for using your debit card. I got a check at the end of one year for about $120 based on my debit card purchases. One of my friends get frequent flier miles for using his card. (and yes I am talking about debit cards... I haven't used a credit card since I was 20)

4. It sure beats the hel_l out of being behind some old fart who is digging through their coin purse looking for exact change... oh hel_l yea, that's faster alright... LoL

Edit:

5. I used to use my PayPal debit card all the time, because if I left money in my paypal account I qualified for their free moneymarket thing... so I would earn money if I kept it in there as long as I could. :D

Edited by Rionoir

In Belgium you can load up to 120 euro onto the debit card.

Thus you can pay for your loaf of bread at the bakery without looking for change.

You enter your pin code, the amount is deducted from the chip in your card, no online transion, no connection cost for the vendor.

Don't understand why people want to carry cash.

Very sweet to see a woman pack 5 million baht into her handbag and leave the bank, happens all the time, no thieves around banks waiting for victims :)

There is no foreign-ATM charge for a debit card purchase. If anyone is paying one you should get a new bank, but I have never paid that type of fee ONCE.

Most do, at least, pass on the network foreign transaction fee of 1%, unless they're Schwab, Etrade, or Fidelity, where the network fee is absorbed, for both ATM and Debit transactions. What is your bank/financial institution?

You just slide your debit card through a small machine and enter your 4-digit pin-code and press OK. At the same time the money is deducted from your bank account (if there's enough money, of course and you're not surpassing the limit if you have one... tongue.gif )

Well, if you choose 'credit' when you swipe your debit card, no pin required -- it becomes 'signature mode.' And that's why credit cards are safer than debit cards -- your bank account can't be cleaned out with fraud. If you can easily pay off your credit card in full every month (you're not a too-much-credit junkie), a credit card is far superior to a debit card.

Two valid complaints in this thread.

1) Debit card use for purchases takes longer. Yes. Go to Tops supermarket. It always adds time when people are paying with cards, debit or credit. Their refusal to simply hit the ATM before doing their shopping makes the wait lines longer in high customer retail shopping outlets.

2) People who take ages to count out correct change to make their purchases are annoying. A little counting and sorting at home would make this process go more smoothly. Taking ages to fish the billfold out of the purse and count out the correct bills also takes some folks an inordinate amount of time. They could easily have removed billfold while the checker was tallying the items. Again, these behaviors cause excess wait time in limes.

3) I'll add one, checkers who are incompetent. Take forever to ring up sales and make change if change is due.

You just slide your debit card through a small machine and enter your 4-digit pin-code and press OK. At the same time the money is deducted from your bank account (if there's enough money, of course and you're not surpassing the limit if you have one... tongue.gif )

Well, if you choose 'credit' when you swipe your debit card, no pin required -- it becomes 'signature mode.' And that's why credit cards are safer than debit cards -- your bank account can't be cleaned out with fraud. If you can easily pay off your credit card in full every month (you're not a too-much-credit junkie), a credit card is far superior to a debit card.

I was talking about the so called PIN Debit card system in my own country. The debit card system is NOT used in combination with credit cards. Different system.

The Debit Card system, in place, works via centralized computer systems organized by all banks in the country.

But of course the 4-digit code is not to be showed/shared to others and scams do occur but minimal taken the many millions of transaction that take place every day into consideration.

LaoPo

I prefer to use cash, as that way I know how much I have spent. Use a debit card and at the end of the month I would have no idea what was spent until I got the bill for the card. When I use cash I know what I have spent with a quick look.

Very easy to go through the money when you don't keep track.

Besides when someone gets into your account and goes through $8,000 in one month it tends to put you off having a debit card. Got it back but it was a pain the the arse.

I prefer to use cash, as that way I know how much I have spent. Use a debit card and at the end of the month I would have no idea what was spent until I got the bill for the card. When I use cash I know what I have spent with a quick look.

See, we're talking completely different systems.

With the PIN debit card I was talking about, the balance of your own account is shown the moment you come home from shopping on your online bank account. It's visible what you spent, where and how much as well as the number of your card or your spouse's.

I can even see, if I wanted, when my wife is shopping, in which shop she's been and how much she spent :)

It's not like the old credit card system where you receive a bill once a month.

Simple.

LaoPo

I guess people just enjoy making banks richer by the hour and then complain how they get ripped off by banks , I have watched people pay for a candy bar with a debit card in a discount store , notwithstanding the $2.00 charge many banks charge for 'The priviledge' each time it is used , 555 .

a "dumball" claim par excellence! :)

trust me, when u use debit it takes longer. this is fact.

:) ...said the expert who never used one. Are you playing "stir it up" by Bob Marley ? :D

LaoPo

wow dude you are as fast as molasses.

i stand behind people and thus can observe which is faster.

wait endlessly for the computer to ding ding + person to sign is much more time than pay with cash.

I understand where the Op is coming from, nothing like waiting for someone to dig thru the bag they are carrying (Litterally the size of purses, and stuff carried in them is out of hand in the u.s.) ;cannot comment on other countries/cities.

However, do you really want to be pulling out a stack full of bills every-time you go out, especially if you frequent the same places over & over again. Can you say bullseye.

I like to carry both (best of both worlds)