Thai bank account

I am wondering if it is possible to open a thai bank account as a tourist so that I can protect myself against any currency movements whilst out of the country.

Does anyone know if this is possible and have any experience of any good thai banks?

Thanks All.

Getting a regular passbook savings account at a Thai bank is ridiculously easy.  Walk in with a passport (30 day entry on arrival is fine), fill out papers and signature card, make minimum required deposit (it was 1,000 baht when I did this in 2000), and they issue you a bankbook on the spot.  maybe 20 minutestotal.  They never even asked for an address!!!!!

Checking accounts or US Dollar accounts are another thing - those have much tighter requirements.

I hate all Thai banks - I have my personal savings account at Siam City Bank, and busindess checking accounts both there, and at Bangkok Bank.  Both give mediocre service, and both seemed disinterested in having me initially open an account.  When my fisrt business address was next door to Bangkok Bank headquarters on Silom, and I went in to open a businesschecking account into which I planned to wire 2 million baht of capital, they would not allow me to open an account without a letter of recommendation from an existing account holder who had known me for more than one year!  This was to PUT IN two million baht.  I was thunderstruck.

Listening to friends, the bank that I have heard the best comments about is Asia Bank - they apparently have some clue about how to treat customers.

But - opening a personal passbook account is easy - including obtaining an ATM card.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

If you open a savings account with Bangkok Bank, you can opt to have a Visa debit card also. This allows you the option of withdrawing cash from ATM's here and abroad. It's as easy as Indo-Siam mentions. I opened an account a few months back with my Passport and Non 'o' Visa. I think the rules state you must have a Non o or B or whatever, but I know friends who have opened accounts with a 30 day stamp. The sub-branches in the likes of Tesco and Big C seem to be farang friendly.

Bangkok Bank

Admin edit: Corrected the bank URL /Admin

Sim City bank even have signs saying "We open accounts for foriegner" (A4 copy paper plastered all over the place).

I also heard that BOA gave good service but when I approached them they were most uncoperative.

I found solace in Siam Commercial Bank who will also open a business account (savings and current) without a work permit :o

• 1 month later...
tried to open bank accounts in Bangkok Bank and Thai Farmers earlier this year and they both refused

Both as in "two"? There are hundreds of branch's of these banks. Just go to the one around the corner and they will probably be happy to open an account. Often when you are turned down for something it is because they don't speak good enough English and "no" is easier than finding someone who does (and a loss of face).

I am a "newbee" here but I have had some experience with Thai banks so I can tell you that...the easiness or difficulty of opening an account varies from month to month and year to year. There was a period when Bangkok Bank was asking everyone for a work permit but I believe that has past. Of the Thai owned banks, I have never had a problem getting accounts at Thai Farmers or Siam Commercial Bank, although in other ways they do not seem to be interested in having farang business (try getting a calendar from them!!). All in all, the best bet is a bank that is affiliated with a bank outside the country, such as Bank of Asia - they have always been very good to me.