Importing Electronic Items From Malaysia

basjke

I would like to import a new projector from Malaysia as the same item is here 65% more expensive.Does anybody know how much the import duty's would be on a projector imported from a neighboring country?

The dealer even told me that he could send it by road transport and that he would make an invoice as that the item returns from repairing in Malaysia so the chance that there would be any import duty charges would be very minimal.

Has anyone on here any experience on importing electronics from Malaysia and which would be the best way to have it sent overhere.

A huge variety of Electronic stuff is imported from Malaysia & sold far below the retail price in Thailand, quite often legitimately.

One of the main cost saving factors on items is where there is only one distibutor that holds a monopoly over the sales and distibution rights in Thailand & employs ridiculous mark-ups on those items.

Bought directly from another supplier in Malaysia (or Singapore), imported into Thailand paying the correct taxes and duties, many items are far cheaper than the Thai retail prices.

Only problem with doing this is warranty time. The Thai distributor most likely will not honour the warranty & charge excessive prices for parts and repair.

A huge variety of Electronic stuff is imported from Malaysia & sold far below the retail price in Thailand, quite often legitimately.

One of the main cost saving factors on items is where there is only one distibutor that holds a monopoly over the sales and distibution rights in Thailand & employs ridiculous mark-ups on those items.

Bought directly from another supplier in Malaysia (or Singapore), imported into Thailand paying the correct taxes and duties, many items are far cheaper than the Thai retail prices.

Only problem with doing this is warranty time. The Thai distributor most likely will not honour the warranty & charge excessive prices for parts and repair.

Any idea how much the import duties are on a projector?

A couple of quick points....

1. Can you advise the specs of the projector (HS Code / picure), if so I could advise the estimated duty %.

2. If the Asean FTA Duty amount is less than the general rate... Ask the shipper if they can provide a "Form D", this would be needed to clear customs in Thailand Asean FTA

3. Do not believe claim that you could claim these as "being sent to Malaysia for repair", this is not possible.

Rules for re-import of repair shipments into Thailand: (duty free)

1. You must have previously exported the goods from Thailand. You will need to show customs a copy of the export customs entry. (if you need to send the goods for repair at a later date, be sure to keep a copy of the export entry)

2. The invoice value and all of the details on export & import invoices must match (cost, serial numbers, descriptions)

3. The invoice value needs to be the same and a separate entry for "repair cost" will need to be put on the invoice

4. Import duty would only need to be paid on the "repair cost"

A couple of quick points....

1. Can you advise the specs of the projector (HS Code / picure), if so I could advise the estimated duty %.

2. If the Asean FTA Duty amount is less than the general rate... Ask the shipper if they can provide a "Form D", this would be needed to clear customs in Thailand Asean FTA

3. Do not believe claim that you could claim these as "being sent to Malaysia for repair", this is not possible.

Rules for re-import of repair shipments into Thailand: (duty free)

1. You must have previously exported the goods from Thailand. You will need to show customs a copy of the export customs entry. (if you need to send the goods for repair at a later date, be sure to keep a copy of the export entry)

2. The invoice value and all of the details on export & import invoices must match (cost, serial numbers, descriptions)

3. The invoice value needs to be the same and a separate entry for "repair cost" will need to be put on the invoice

4. Import duty would only need to be paid on the "repair cost"

Hi thanks for your reply.I don't know what you mean with the hs code but if you mean the resolution it is 1920 x 1080 full hd.

Also don't know what you mean with point 2 but the dealer is the sole importer for the brand in Malaysia and is a qualified exporter so I guess they can make a form D

It seems you have some experience with importing goods,maybe you can tell me how big is the chance that it passes the border without duty when send by road transport or EMS.

Edit to add: the manufacturer of the projector is origin Taiwan.

Edited by basjke

Any idea how much the import duties are on a projector?

Sorry, I don't know the duty rates Bas.

Looks like CW or raro may be answer those ones.

Moved to SME Import/Export forum.

Please find my answers to your questions in red below

Hi thanks for your reply.I don't know what you mean with the hs code but if you mean the resolution it is 1920 x 1080 full hd.

1. HS code stands for Harmonized Tariff Code - these codes are universal around the world and if this is know it is very easy to determine the import duty

2. I am not certain exactly what the commodity is, so I am asking for more information about the product i.e. picture or product catalogue, so that I can correctly assign the appropriate HS Code and advise estimated import duty amount

Also don't know what you mean with point 2 but the dealer is the sole importer for the brand in Malaysia and is a qualified exporter so I guess they can make a form .

1. Thai import Duty is based upon the commodity (HS Code), but if Thailand has an FTA with the other country, then some commodities can apply for a reduced tarif amount. The shipper would need to provide you with Form D to qualify for Inter ASEAN FTA (as you advised below, the actual origin of goods is Taiwan, so you can disregard... Thailand does not have any FTA with Taiwan)

It seems you have some experience with importing goods,maybe you can tell me how big is the chance that it passes the border without duty when send by road transport or EMS.

1. I handle freight, so I can't say with any level of certainty on whether or not it would make it through using EMS. But if it is caught, from stories I have heard it is likely that the amount vharged may be higher than if handled by a customs broker.

2. For road transport... I hear that ther is quite a bit of smuggling at the border, but if it is declared then technically you should pay the same import duty and tax.

Edit to add: the manufacturer of the projector is origin Taiwan.

In this case the general tariff rate will need to be used

well after importing highend watercooling from the states all i do is tell the company who your buying from ? to lower the price even put gift for a friend it always goes throw okay thats with thai post also dhl... i would say myself i've been really lucky on around $5k

Edited by imafaranggetmeoutofhere

• 2 months later...

Also Duty and VAT are based upon CIF value of goods, not invoice value...

For example:

Lets say the invoice value is THB 600

Cost of Freight (DHL): thb 2800

insurance: 6 thb (1% invoice value)

------------------------------------------

CIF value of Goods = 3,406 thb

If Duty = 10% then......

3,406 *10% = 340

Vatable amount: 340 + 3406 = 3746 thb

VAT (7%) = 262 thb

Total Duty and VAT owed => 262 + 340 = THB 602

NB: Duties are imposed on value, not on price.

Who determines "value" & is it open to debate or is it an arbitary judgement that is final?

I'd guess it would be the price in this country, the RRP.

Maybe for some things, however, many people import oddities for niche markets precisely because there isn't the same or comparable product in Thailand.

Who determines "value" & is it open to debate or is it an arbitary judgement that is final?

I'd guess it would be the price in this country, the RRP.

Maybe for some things, however, many people import oddities for niche markets precisely because there isn't the same or comparable product in Thailand.

The customs guys often use the internet to find the price (in Thai Baht or Euro's etc...), There's actually very little that isn't available here. Its just that prices can be quite high due to low quantities and all sorts of hoops importers go through to bring products in legally for resale.

In most cases it would be the price stated on the invoice plus the costs of bringing the goods to Thailand (if not included in the invoice price, i.e. "CIF" is marked on the invoice).

The customs officer's duty is to challenge the invoice if he has doubts that the price mentioned is correct. They do also check prices on the internet as others mentioned before.

Obviously customs officers do not have time to look up prices of every shipment that comes through Thailand, but they are not stupid ...

Most times, they will use the invoice value of goods unless it raises a red flag... This will depend upon each customs officer, those with more experience will have been around a while and be more familiar with market value of many products. Usually as long as you are in the "fair market range" they are not going to say anything (at least if it is cleared by a broker).

If you try to clear on your own, I have heard some say that they will try to jack up the value a bit. I do not have any first hand experience with them doing that, just second hand information I have read on this forum.

Obviously if the value is ridiculously low and they catch it, then you have just given them free reign to put just about any value they want on it. They will find the highest possible fair market value and use that. You can appeal the decision and offer to submit proof of the value of the goods or international money transfer to try and prove your value accurately shows the true value(amount paid).

But obviously the proof would need to match the value on your invoice, otherwise you are just offering proof that you have tried to defraud the Thai customs department. Since in many cases, that is exactly what the person was trying to do, they do not have any proof to submit and will be forced to use the higher value assessed by customs.

Most people who use the real value of goods do not have problems, but people who tend to try to "undervalue" their goods to avoid customs duties will eventually get caught and burned.

Some things that may raise red flags and get customs to take a second look at the invoice are statements like.... FREE of CHARGE or SAMPLE or VALUE FOR CUSTOMS PURPOSES ONLY... rough translation into "Customs speak"... Please take another look at the invoice amount as it is more than likely undervalued...

Edited by CWMcMurray

• 1 month later...

I'm buying a calculator on ebay. price: 180USD weight: less than 500gr does that mean importing electronics into Thailand? should I expect unavoidable tax charges? does they check every items, even the small packages? this calculator can't be found here, i need it for my studies, won't they let it pass? thank you for all answers.

• 4 months later...

don't forget you have to pay 30% on the shipping price too. :annoyed:

Always better to have it shipped by regular post and not a courier. I ordered a dehydrator.

I filled out the postage slip myself online for the USPS (usa) and my dad mailed it to me. I put it in a thai persons name, but the value at $20 (even though it cost $200 it looked cheap and is so overpriced). Shipping was $100. I was lucky and paid 800 baht.

I get the random odd electronic piece from China and Hong Kong and never have a problem. (ebay stuff)