Bangkok International Film Festival

sabaijai

The website has synopses of all the films, check it out. I've only been to see two so far, A Prophet and Antichrist, neither of which will be screened again after today. Pedro Almodovar's Broken Embraces screens tomorrow and it looks pretty good.

The website has synopses of all the films, check it out. I've only been to see two so far, A Prophet and Antichrist, neither of which will be screened again after today. Pedro Almodovar's Broken Embraces screens tomorrow and it looks pretty good.

I wanted to see A Prophet...I was too slow. What was it like? Antichrist was meant to be pretty disturbing.

A Prophet was very well directed, very realistic and very long. Antichrist was indeed disturbing, but left a more lasting impression on me, as a work of film art. Put another way, A Prophet is a very straightforward narrative that works on one level of a prison drama, and one heavily influenced, in my opinion, by the HBO series Oz. Antichrist works on several levels and is a more important, if flawed work. It is also beautifully shot and beautifully acted. Dafoe and Gainsbourg carry the weight of Lars Von Triers' strange, affecting narrative impressively. I found A Prophet more entertaining but Antichrist more absorbing. A Prophet is a typical three-act drama, Antichrist a journey you've never taken before. Despite that, you won't see yourself in A Prophet, you probably won't find a single character to identify with. You will most likely see yourself in Antichrist if you've been in a relationship with someone who went a bit off the rails. Both are worth seeing but for me Antichrist is more of a don't-miss for art cinema fans.

Behind the Blur:

Uncovering Thai Cinema

Written & Directed by Erich Fleshman

72 minutes

Thursday, 01 October 2009

20:30 - 22:00

Rain Dogs Bar & Gallery

Soi Phraya Phiren, Rama IV Rd

Admission free

An insightful documentary about Thai cinema, which boasts a long and colourful history, yet struggles as the industry attempts to move forward. This film examines the past but focuses mainly on the Thai New Wave since 1997 by combining film clips and interviews from Thai directors and others artists, such as Asian hip-hop sensation Thaitanium, who are trying to create a more personal style of art.

It is a portrait of the industry that includes illuminating conversations with internationally acclaimed filmmakers such as Pen-ek Ratanaruang, Wisit Sasanatieng, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul. The film blends thoughtful interviews of other artists and players in the Thai film industry with clips of legendary films like Country Hotel, Last Life in the Universe, Tropical Malady, and Tears of the Black Tiger.

The film investigates also investigates the ways in which both Thailand and the film industry are held back by a myriad of issues, and then looks forward to the future through the eyes of some of the most important players in Thai cinema.

Production Notes

Behind the Blur: uncovering Thai cinema is my self-produced documentary about the Thai film industry. The sole purpose of this film is to promote and pay respect to the art of film in Thailand.

This documentary examines the current state of Thai cinema, focusing on the Thai 'new wave' since 1997, as an expression of Thai culture. Thai cinema has captured global attention following a decade of hits at international film festivals around the world. The trend began with Nonzee Nimibutr's debut 2499 and the torch was passed to Apichatpong Weerasethakul after he received the Un Certain Regard award at Cannes 2005 for Tropical Malady.

For over a dozen years I have worked in and studied from the inside as a student of this industry. This documentary includes filmmakers opening up their minds and hearts to share opinions about the film industry for others to take note, stand up and fight for the right to be artistic.

Recorded and edited on high-definition digital video, the documentary includes interviews with well-known, qualified personalities in the Thai film industry, including film directors, actors, as well as interviews with film critics. Those who have been interviewed include: Nonzee Nimibutr, Pen-ek Ratanaruang, Wisit Sasanatieng, Apichatpong Weerasethaku, Ekachai Uekrongtham, Thunska Pansittivorakul, Christopher Doyle, Yutthalert Sippapak, Kong Rithdee, the hip-hop sensation Thaitanium and Siriyakorn Pukkavesh.

Now, more than ever before, fans of world cinema have come to appreciate what Thai directors have to offer. Behind the Blur: Uncovering Thai cinema demonstrates how Thai culture finds its expression in Thai motion pictures and the obstacles that the various players face at home.

Writer/director Erich Fleshman will be at Rain Dogs for the screening.

Behind the Blur:

Uncovering Thai Cinema

Written & Directed by Erich Fleshman

72 minutes

Thursday, 01 October 2009

20:30 - 22:00

Rain Dogs Bar & Gallery

Soi Phraya Phiren, Rama IV Rd

Admission free

An insightful documentary about Thai cinema, which boasts a long and colourful history, yet struggles as the industry attempts to move forward. This film examines the past but focuses mainly on the Thai New Wave since 1997 by combining film clips and interviews from Thai directors and others artists, such as Asian hip-hop sensation Thaitanium, who are trying to create a more personal style of art.

Would have loved to have seen this. But 'tis too late. Are there any other showings?

And about this Rain Dogs Bar, what type of place is it? A swanky arty bar? Sounds interesting.

Rain Dogs isn't swanky at all, more of an underground bar, literally under the Cheua Ploeng overpass at Rama IV Rd, near Soi Ngam Duplee. They screen films every Tuesday (films on art) and Thursday (music), but this screening was an exception because of the BKKIFF.

I don't know whether it will be screened again.

One of the better descriptions, with a map:

http://miguelcunat.blogspot.com/2008/11/ra...ry-bangkok.html