Mid Range Living - Where?

klikster

About 2 years ago I had put a business plan to create a retirement community somewhere in Thailand, preferably near some beach.

I did that about 10 years ago (business plan). Built a website.

I got contacted by dozens of folks who were "interested". Most were con men who, " for business reasons had to retain their anonymity". Most had no money but were sure that if I handed them my business plan, they could make it happen.

There are reasons why it will probably never happen to any great extent in Thailand.

1 - Thai wives want a plot of land and a house .. in their name.

2 - Expats tend to be in denial about certain aspects of their life .. old thread

3 - Ownership issues

There are a few attempts and similarities. One place that copied some text from my website is/was attempting a colony in Kanom (NST). There is a Swedish place in Thapsakae (PKK). And there may be others that I don't know about.

I like the Rathchaburi/Petchaburi/Kanchanaburi/Ban Pong area. Not too far from BKK, Hua Hin etc., nice scenery and plenty to do. Not sure if there are any western style condos.

Say klikster, I would say this is good advice. Ban Pong (City of Nice People) is where my inlaws live. OK place and not too expensive.

Consider Nakhon Pathom as an option. About halfway between Ban Pong and BKK.

If you really want clean air and not too far from BKK, consider the Khao Yai area. NOT Saraburi, that's a crappy place and has the cementworks.

How about areas east of Don Meung/Rangsit, slightly NE of Sapan Mai? Loads of gated townhouse communities, some with community swimming pools. Some farangs in the area, but I haven't seen too many there. Traffic is busy during morning and evening rush hours, but nothing like Bangkok proper. Reasonably close to expressways, malls, etc. I'd say air quality is somewhat similar to Nonthaburi, both of which are certainly better than Bangkok, IMO. Good Internet connections too.

Parts of Bang Na are nice. I live near Ram Song.......(Ramkamhaeng 2 University), and pay only 3,000 baht/ month for a large room (with bathroom) in a condo with swimming pool. Clean air, and near a Tesco.

I like the Rathchaburi/Petchaburi/Kanchanaburi/Ban Pong area. Not too far from BKK, Hua Hin etc., nice scenery and plenty to do. Not sure if there are any western style condos.

Say klikster, I would say this is good advice. Ban Pong (City of Nice People) is where my inlaws live. OK place and not too expensive.

Consider Nakhon Pathom as an option. About halfway between Ban Pong and BKK.

If you really want clean air and not too far from BKK, consider the Khao Yai area. NOT Saraburi, that's a crappy place and has the cementworks.

I really do like the Khao Yai area, but I doubt I will be able to find the type of housing I'm looking for i.e. condo.

Or, if not Prachuap, how about the other side of Hua Hin?

Cha Am is closer to BKK, is much quieter, and doesn't have the questionable nightlife that has developed in Hua Hin. 2.5 hours to BKK, on the beach, with small mountains nearby. This is where I want to settle, but I'm still trying to convince the girlfriend! :)

Or, if not Prachuap, how about the other side of Hua Hin?

Cha Am is closer to BKK, is much quieter, and doesn't have the questionable nightlife that has developed in Hua Hin. 2.5 hours to BKK, on the beach, with small mountains nearby. This is where I want to settle, but I'm still trying to convince the girlfriend! :)

I live in Cha am right now .. and can feel the creep up in prices over the past 1.5 years.

Can any of the Rayong folks add some information .. and maybe get this back on topic?

High Pollution In Rayong, quality of life of local residents affected

-redwood

The livable* part of Thailand for those of us without deep pockets seems to be shrinking rapidly.

*decent air quality, not excessive traffic, secure housing for singles, reasonably priced.