Hackers Now Going After Apple Operating System

waldwolf

I guess it was only a question of time.

Hacker Attacks On Macs On The Rise

Reuters - March 23, 2005

Hacker attacks on Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh OS/X operating system, thought by many who use the Macs to be virtually immune from attack, are on the rise, according to a new report from anti-virus software vendor Symantec Corp.

Symantec said that over the last year, it had documented more than 37 high vulnerabilities, or weaknesses that leave the system open to malicious software attacks, in Mac OS/X.

An Apple spokesman was not available for comment.

:o

If its online its vulnerable somewhere. Still, last year I read in Database that security experts had rated BSD, and Mac as the most secure OS's out there.

If you're real worried, run your server on an Amiga. :o

As has been noted on various tech sites, Symantec has documented vulnerabilities. That doesn't mean that any viruses, etc. have been generated that can take advantage of them. I read that to take advantage of these requires access to the root directory and OSX doesn't let you access that without a password (haven't used a Mac for 10 years so don't know how truthful that is!)

As has also been noted, it is in the interest of Symantec (and other virus removal companies) to highlight this because it means that they sell more software... After all, if their software got rid of all viruses, what business would be left for them? :o

I guess it was only a question of time.

Hacker Attacks On Macs On The Rise

or should i say Symantec Corp now setting its eyes on mac users

or .. may be they began to test a few codes for mac :o

anyway, it must be fun to play with a unix modified code :D

francois

Actually (and pardon my programming ignorance here) I've always been kind of surprised (and thankful) that there aren't more problems with this sort of thing since I was under the impression that UNIX was pretty programmer-friendly, and thus you'd have more jerk-offs trying to mess around with OSX.

But then again, why bother a few Mac users when there's all those millions of juicy PCs ripe for the taking? Regardless, it may well be a publicity move for Symantec-after all, since the iPod boom more people are getting Macs.........

So why not some Antivirus to go with that shiny new computer?

Symantec stoped selling products for Apple, no? No money in it. Yep,

any operating system which acesses the internet is vulnerable. I figure Apple is responsible for less than 3% of the market so their aren't enough people interested in hacking them thus denying adolecents the means to fk with people. As more and more U.S. government agencies switch to Apple for security reasons the hacks for Apple comps will rise.

edit: oops I should have read the entire thread.

Edited by aughie