Don Muaeng Airport To Re-open?

george

PM orders NESDB to study Don Mueang's usage

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has ordered the Office of National Economic and Social Development Board to study in 90 days whether the Don Mueang Airport should be used in parallel with the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The study's result would assist the government in making a decision once and for all whether Don Mueang airport should be decommissioned as the previous governments had made decisions back and forth about the airport's usage.

The study result would also help the government plan how to expand the Suvarnabhumi accordingly, Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-30

Your personal bias shines through John,

I know Dr Pat, but is it that obvious ?

Yes, I guess that it is.

Don Meung was OK but Suvarnabhumi is an absolute shyt hole of an airport. And you cannot really challenge me on that :)

They want to be in the top ten and they are not even remotely close to being in the top 100.

You know that, and I know that you know that too..... :D

I'm a creature of habit, and I like D.Muang well enough.

Plus, they had a large cafeteria downstairs, for airport workers, where farang were welcome.

Suwanboom tries to be high class, but winds up looking like a puny kid who puts on shoulder pads to look buffed.

With some smart adjustments, D.Muang could handle Bkk's air traffic well enough.

For longer than i care to remember bkk has needed more than one airport.

This would be a step in the right direction if it happens.

I have fond memories of sitting outside having a beer at the steam bar, Waiting for my son or daughter to pick me up or a connecting flight.

Irrespective of whether it has heart or not, the pure inconvenience and cost of getting between the two means that it shouldn't be re-opened unless Thai has to retain all of it's services at Swampy.

I can't remember how many times I had to overnight or rush between the two to make connections.

I agree with you on that Thai, Both airports should be fully fledged ports servicing all destinations.

If they were to build a dedicated rail link between the two airports (which shouldn't be so difficult - it's not as if it has to go through the centre of the city), then the two could be realistically be used in tandem.

And I agree with the other posters that preferred DM. It was a little tired, but a bit like an old jacket - familiar and comfortable. Certainly more comfortable than the steel and glass edifice we have to use now.

And to think I used to complain about how far it was to the gates at DM! It can be a 20 minute walk to the departure gate now! And that's at a brisk walk, not an amble!

If you think about it, all major cities in the world have at least two international airports. London has FIVE and it's still not enough..!!

As Asia's main travel hub Bangkok genuinely believes it can survive with ONE airport..??

Absolutely ridiculous.

Come back Don Muang, we miss you!

:)

If you think about it, all major cities in the world have at least two international airports. London has FIVE and it's still not enough..!!

As Asia's main travel hub Bangkok genuinely believes it can survive with ONE airport..??

Absolutely ridiculous.

Come back Don Muang, we miss you!

:)

Agree with you 100%.

But a point to make London has five and that is not enough.

If many of the local airports were able to expand and upgrade would that not take the pressure off london? ie Durham tees valley (formally teesside airport) and many others.

(To get back on topic)Would not the same be good for Thailand? smaller airports around the country giving more international support?

I still get goosebumps and warm memories whenever I pass DM.

Instead of a dedicated rail link between Swampy and DM, why not just extend the BTS like they keep promising. Theres even more reason to now they've moved the government offices to Cheang Wattana.

....why not just extend the BTS like they keep promising. Theres even more reason to now they've moved the government offices to Cheang Wattana.....

That would be too sensible and easy an option!! But you're right. Extend the BTS to DM and then you go from DM to Phaholyothin (Via Mor Chit) and connect to the airport express to Sooscammapoom.

If they were to build a dedicated rail link between the two airports (which shouldn't be so difficult - it's not as if it has to go through the centre of the city), then the two could be realistically be used in tandem.

And I agree with the other posters that preferred DM. It was a little tired, but a bit like an old jacket - familiar and comfortable. Certainly more comfortable than the steel and glass edifice we have to use now.

And to think I used to complain about how far it was to the gates at DM! It can be a 20 minute walk to the departure gate now! And that's at a brisk walk, not an amble!

There is in fact a rail link from Don Mueang to Makkasan, and by extension to Swampy, however it's not 'dedicated' and is operated by The State Railway of Thailand" with typical Thai efficiency.

There has to be an initiative and willingness to do something, and right now that is lacking in this country.

Positive, decisive leaders are in very short supply in this land I am afraid. :)

I'm a creature of habit, and I like D.Muang well enough.

Plus, they had a large cafeteria downstairs, for airport workers, where farang were welcome.

Suwanboom tries to be high class, but winds up looking like a puny kid who puts on shoulder pads to look buffed.

With some smart adjustments, D.Muang could handle Bkk's air traffic well enough.

I always liked DM, myself being a creature of habit as well. My family and I almost always went to the airport workers cafeteria for half decent reasonably priced food.

What's all this talk of DMK being re-opened ? It is open and serving flights currently. I hope they close it, the sooner the better. BKK can easily do with one airport, there is absolutely no reason why it should have two airports.

DMK is an outdated facility and I would not be surprised if the last remaining few airlines (nok and 1,2 go ) are forced to go back to BKK once they have the capacity to handle them.