Retirement Visa/ Work Permit?

Apparently some Retirement Extension holders have obtained Work Permits.

I personally know one person who fit the above description although that was 3-4 years ago. I did read recently that this practice, "officially" not allowed, is being curtailed.

That report stated that their Work Permits are not being renewed. Chonburi was one area where the practice was more widespread than in other provinces.

I have a friend that went through this recently. He had to return his WP due to his new contract not ready yet. He then changed to an extension of stay based on retirement. Now his new contract is ready he can not use his old visa and has to get a new 90 day one based on work before he can be re-issued a new work permit.

You cannot work on a retirement visa.

So does this mean that the retirement visa would have to be ditched in order to qualify for a work permit?

begs

Yes, you would need to change your retirement visa to a work visa (NonB) and obtain a work permit. You could then apply for extension of stay based on employment during the last 30 days of your permission to stay if you meet the requirements (50k/month income for westerner - but varies on nationality- plus company accounts and compny tax receipts for last 2 years).

Edited by thaiphoon

Apparently some Retirement Extension holders have obtained Work Permits.

I personally know one person who fit the above description although that was 3-4 years ago. I did read recently that this practice, "officially" not allowed, is being curtailed.

That report stated that their Work Permits are not being renewed. Chonburi was one area where the practice was more widespread than in other provinces.

It is the exception, and recent reports indicate Labour Departments are clamping down on those people at renewal.

Edited by thaiphoon

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits and there is no such thing as a work visa. The work permit allows work - not the visa. And there are visas that a work permit will not be issued on.

The Labor Office will not normally issue a work permit if you are here on an OA or retirement extension of stay. Although there have been a few that were issued it seems to be firm everywhere now.