Watdee

khun jim

Have been 6 times and am indeed infatuated with it all .

Infatuated with what?

What is the number one reason you want to make the BIG move?

Or should I guess?

:o The weather ?

the weather ,the people ,the golf , the mtns ,the beach,the food ,the meditation, the cost of living, the many diversity of people, and yes last but not least the women and thier friendly smiles

So what more convincing do you need then?

to be honest i was looking for something like come on over man what are you waiting for the water is fine not the hostilities im recieving . more of a welcome vibe

Them as are already there are protecting their space, while them as who aint are hoping to protect some space for themselves.

Go for it, if your ready to(?) :o

to be honest i was looking for something like come on over man what are you waiting for the water is fine not the hostilities im recieving . more of a welcome vibe

Sorry mate no hostility intended. You're as welcome as the next man.

Besides the stunning women, nice climate, good food, great beaches etc.etc. it's a dump really but that being said there are plenty of worse places so you probably enjoy it here. Good luck.

Have been 6 times and am indeed infatuated with it all .

Infatuated with what?

What is the number one reason you want to make the BIG move?

Or should I guess?

:D The weather ?

the weather ,the people ,the golf , the mtns ,the beach,the food ,the meditation, the cost of living, the many diversity of people, and yes last but not least the women and thier friendly smiles

Spot on Dr.

Weather #1

Seems you can really pick em. I would have thought "diversity of people" would be #1

And of course the women "last but not least" :o

Come on over man. The water is fine, well the at least the bottled stuff is...the weather is fine, and so is everything else on your list. If you've been here six times, you're informed as you need to be to take the plunge - assuming that you can afford the lifestyle you want here and any opportunity cost of leaving farangland. If you reveal your hesitations, maybe you will elicit some more meaningful replies...

Sorry mate no hostility intended. You're as welcome as the next man.

Besides the stunning women, nice climate, good food, great beaches etc.etc. it's a dump really but that being said there are plenty of worse places so you probably enjoy it here. Good luck.

was thinking of a temporary resident ,everything gets old after awhile and then when return things will be fresh. What do you think about that?

looking for some seasoned expats to help convince me to make the BIG move to thailand. Have been 6 times and am indeed infatuated with it all .

:o

"to be honest i was looking for something like come on over man what are you waiting for the water is fine not the hostilities im recieving . more of a welcome vibe"

Sorry, but what did you expect? Anyhow, the only person who can make such a decision is you. There are advantages and disadvantages. Living in Thailand full time is not like visiting as a tourist. It will be you who has to adapt to the good or bad experience of living in LOS.

But for the record, I will be retiring in about 4 years, and intend to move to Thailand to live after I retire. Love the place, even with the occasional frustrations.

:D

Come on over man.  The water is fine, well the at least the bottled stuff is...the weather is fine, and so is everything else on your list.  If you've been here six times, you're informed as you need to be to take the plunge - assuming that you can afford the lifestyle you want here and any opportunity cost of leaving farangland.  If you reveal your hesitations, maybe you will elicit some more meaningful replies...

love the water quote spot on

Parts of it are a dump and parts of it are beautiful, the people can be nice and nasty, your life could be happy or sad here, like all countries Thailand is what YOU make of it, so why not give it a try? Pck those bags and get on the plane, good or bad, it'll be an experience.

Welcome to the forum. :o

By the way, if you don't want hostility your on the wrong forum :D .

Edited by bkkmadness

was thinking of a temporary resident ,everything gets old after awhile and then when return things will be fresh. What do you think about that?

Don't have a clue what you're on about. How old is old and how fresh is fresh?

Parts of it are a dump and parts of it are beautiful, the people can be nice and nasty,  your life could be happy or sad here, like all countries Thailand is what YOU make of it, so why not give it a try? Pck those bags and get on the plane, good or bad, it'll be an experience.

Welcome to the forum. :o

By the way, if you don't want hostility your on the wrong forum :D .

thanks bkkmadness nice pic from clockwork orange .

thailand to me is like hawaii on 10 cents per $ and one place where one can really chill.so much to offer, one also needs to interact with intellegent stimili. i have meet some really intresting people in thailand . So i guess thats why I said im infatuated. I agree just have to turn your cheek on the ugliness and coruption and its what you make out of it. The bang for your buck(pardon thr pun) is also a main draw.

The bang for your buck(pardon thr pun) is also a main draw.

The moral majority might not entirely approve of this statement.

Bang for a buck? I think I'm living in the wrong part of Thailand :o

The thread will definately go downhill from here, wait for them all to get their soapboxes out :D .

And may I ask where does everyone hail from in thailand?

Khun Jim,

You said you had been to Thailand 6 times (over the past year?). If you are unsure about relocating to Thailand, then I would advise you to obtain a retirement visa (if your age permits this), or a handful of 60-day tourist visas (say 4), so at least you can stay here for a year.

This would give you time to actually live in thailand for a year (as opposed to coming/going for vacation), to see if you really enjoy it or not.

I am not sure what country you are coming from, but undoubtably there are many issues about thailand that will sometimes make you homesick. But if you have the will power to overlook these, and just accept them, then I think you will have a great time in thailand.

P.S. I lived in BKK last year for 9 months... as a tourist! I had a great time. :o

I think a lot of the things that make you homesick can be overcome. When I first came here I missed my farang food, and missed keeping up to date with things in the UK etc., but over the years I have found a lot of the farang food I want, I have a computer so can listen to the UK radio. I just got in the fast line for the net connection as well so now can even get hold of most of the music that I couldn't find here :o .

Alot of people do not do well out here because they cannot make themselves comfortable, and I think another main reason for people not doing well here is imagining that living here will be the same as holidaying here. I think a lot of expats on this forum will agree you have to go through a bit of a transitional stage from going out every night on the p.iss to being satisfied on most nights just staying in your appartment and watching a DVD or whatever your pleasure is.

Obviously some things you will have to sacrifice but I know if I was back in London now I would be sacrificing a lot more from Thailand. I do think though, coming here for a long period then being back in England for a while is a nice way to be, I do miss some of my family and my mates and a few other things I can't get here.

I suppose a lot of your satisfaction living here depends on your work/cash situation.

I think a lot of the things that make you homesick can be overcome.  When I first came here I missed my farang food, and missed keeping up to date with things in the UK etc., but over the years I have found a lot of the farang food I want, I have a computer so can listen to the UK radio.  I just got in the fast line for the net connection as well so now can even get hold of most of the music that I couldn't find here :o .

Alot of people do not do well out here because they cannot make themselves comfortable,  and I think another main reason for people not doing well here is imagining that living here will be the same as holidaying here.  I think a lot of  expats on this forum will agree you have to go through a bit of a transitional stage from going out every night on the p.iss to being satisfied on most nights just staying in your appartment and watching a DVD or whatever your pleasure is.

Obviously some things you will have to sacrifice but I know if I was back in London now I would be sacrificing a lot more from Thailand.  I do think though, coming here for a long period then being back in England for a while is a nice way to be, I do miss some of my family and my mates and a few other things I can't get here.

I suppose a lot of your satisfaction living here depends on your work/cash situation.

good points, how long have you been there full time now?