Thailand's Tuk-tuk And Taxi Drivers

ballzafire

With events in the news fresh in our minds regarding certain tuk-tuk drivers (i.e. the recent rape of a tourist), I thought I'd launch this topic as a sounding board for tourists and expats alike to share their unpleasant experiences -- including any HORRORS -- while in the service of Thailand's notoriously corrupt, ethically bereft, and often downright dangerous tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

To be sure, I have experienced many unpleasant incidents over the years but TWO recent ones stand out as exceptional and are worth noting. Let's hope neither of these happens to you. So, here goes...

This first one is more serious and involves a recent trip to the local airport. I had just finished haggling with several drivers over the fare to the airport. The winning bidder seemed reluctant to accept my price but nonetheless did.

So, the trip begins. The driver seemed to be going the usual route, but then takes an odd side street or two. Then, suddenly, I find myself going down this long dirt road near the city limits. I thought at first this must be some kind of shortcut I haven't seen before, so I thought nothing of it. The driver then turns off into a small sidestreet and pulls up at a house with a garage, stops, and gets out. He goes into the garage and speaks with someone who I assume is a relative, and then this person proceeds to bring out a small gas can. Okay, he's filling his gas tank at home or something. Fine.

After about a minute or two, with the gas tank now "filled", and with me still patiently sitting the back, anxious to get to the airport to catch my flight, he confers briefly with his relative/friend standing in the doorway of the garage, then saunters over to me casually, holds out his hand and, in English, says "Money!"

Money? What money? Does he want me to pay for the gas he just put in his tank? Does he want more money for the fare? Or is this a robbery and he wants me to hand over ALL of my money?

I respond by pointing in the direction of the airport and politely saying "Airport." He responds by again saying "Money!", only this time a little more forcefully, while jutting his hand toward me abruptly. Then, he repeats it a third time for even more emphasis.

I took one look at his "accomplice" standing in the doorway and then a last look at this pathetic excuse for a human being and decided I'd better just remove myself from this situation as soon as possible. I had my camera with me and briefly considered snapping a picture or two of this individual and his vehicle, but decided not to inflame the situation. Getting to the airport was paramount in my mind, so I just grabbed my luggage, hopped out the back of the tuk-tuk and proceeded to walk. As I recall, I think I cussed back at them angrily in English or something, but nothing threatening, for I was clearly outnumbered and definitely not on home turf.

Fortunately, they chose not to assault me at that moment but they could have, for no one else was around and the location was far from the "safety" of bystanders. So, I was allowed to walk for some reason.

Now, here I was, halfway out in the boondocks, walking back up a long dirt road, unable to use the wheels on my heavy luggage so having no choice but to carry it by hand, and trying to get to the airport in time to catch my flight. So, what does this scumbag tuk-tuk driver do? He follows me in his tuk-tuk! Slowly driving along behind me. There were several people (one motorbike and one car) that drove up alongside me looking puzzled, seeming to offer a ride but both were flagged down by this criminal tuk-tuk driver who apparently told them NOT to help me, since, after talking to him, both drove off, leaving me to continue to walk back up this long dirt road with heavy luggage in hand.

After reaching the main road, this tuk-tuk driver turns and heads back down the road and disappears. I thought about calling the police, but then I had a plane to catch, so I just stood there until I was able to flag a passing motorcycle who agreed to take me to airport. (And, yes, I made my flight on time, fortunately. A little shaken, but I made it).

This was the first and so far only time I have been the victim of an attempted robbery in Thailand -- and by none other than a tuk-tuk driver! Let's hope this never happens to you...

-----

The second incident involves a rather harrowing motorcycle taxi ride.

I had just arrived at the train station and flagged the nearest mototaxi. Shortly into the trip I noticed this guy was not using his rear-view mirrors to check traffic behind him (I could see his eyes which means the mirrors were not positioned correctly, either). In fact, he seemed to not be checking surrounding traffic AT ALL, not even turning his head. This didn't sit well with me, but I proceeded to continue the ride. I was tired and just wanted to get home.

We approach a stop light and there is a long line of cars waiting. It is a busy four-way intersection. So, naturally, the driver begins to cut to the front by threading his way in and out.

As luck would have it, he is cutoff by a large vehicle near the front and is unable to make it to the front of the pack, so he then veers over to the left, where the left-hand turn lane appeared to be free (for the moment, that is). It was ALSO at this time that I heard a car coming up this lane, but since this guy doesn't use his mirrors (and seemed to be somewhat hard of hearing), he proceeded to just cut over into this left-hand turn lane in the effort to go around the last two cars and so reach the front of the pack. I tried to warn him that a car was coming but it was no use.

So, what happened next? You guessed it. WE SIDE-SWIPE THE APPROACHING CAR, with me forcefully pushing against the top of the car upon impact with my left hand to avoid a more serious collision, all the while trying to hold onto my luggage with my right. The car receives a serious scratch on its side and the driver of the car begins to slow to a stop.

The rest is a blur. The mototaxi driver doesn't even acknowledge that an accident has just occurred. In fact, he doesn't even slow

No mate, they were asking from the tuk tuk driver "what's wrong with this one walking and not driving in your tuk tuk?" just to get a reply "mi loo, he just went nuts when i asked advance to pay for the gas"... I would have not given up or would have at least found out how much and why he was asking. I do not speak thai as such but can communicate enough to find out why and how much in these situations. The fact that he followed you around for me indicates he was not trying to rob you. Maybe just asking you to pay in advance to pay his gas bill or something to his mate.

Agree with you on the bikes though. One takes a risk with these guys. Some drive like crazy and accidents happen. Always check their eyebrows and elbows for scars. If none to be seen, most likely he do not have a history of crashing regularly...

They don't allow tuk tuks into the airport do they? Even at the old Don Muang Airport for as long as I've been coming to Thailand they haven't let tuk tuks come anywhere near the building, so either this was a very long time ago or there was no way you were going to the airport anyway. Should be a meter taxi every time, or failing that a minibus or airport bus at the very least.

No mate, they were asking from the tuk tuk driver "what's wrong with this one walking and not driving in your tuk tuk?" just to get a reply "mi loo, he just went nuts when i asked advance to pay for the gas"... I would have not given up or would have at least found out how much and why he was asking. I do not speak thai as such but can communicate enough to find out why and how much in these situations. The fact that he followed you around for me indicates he was not trying to rob you. Maybe just asking you to pay in advance to pay his gas bill or something to his mate. ...

I don't think so. If he wanted 20B for gas he should have asked for just that. I can understand most Thai.

But instead he just holds out his hand, barking his demand. Also, I believe I did ask how much ("tao rai, kup?"), but he just kept saying "Money".

Edited by ballzafire

They don't allow tuk tuks into the airport do they? Even at the old Don Muang Airport for as long as I've been coming to Thailand they haven't let tuk tuks come anywhere near the building, so either this was a very long time ago or there was no way you were going to the airport anyway. Should be a meter taxi every time, or failing that a minibus or airport bus at the very least.

Airport is Hat Yai. No problem for tuk-tuks to drop off there...

i have never really had a problem with Thailand Taxi Drivers, apart from the genral rip off fairs ( only in samui )

but i have had one really good report.... got a taxi from bangkok to patttaya about 4 years ago, and left my phone in the taxi when i got to pattaya, luckily i knew my number, but only after 30 mins, but when i rang my number, the taxi turned around and droped my phone off again, and didnt ask for payment, even those i gave him 1K for the hassle...

so there are some good stories

I've had no problems that I can remember. Taxis usually turn on the meter, tuk tuk drivers usually try to negotiate an outrageous fare, mototaxis usually scare the shit out of me. But always friendly.

The cab driver in the video was quite a linguist, wasn't he? Greek, Polish, Italian....Ok, only hello etc, but an impressive array of languages, nonetheless! :)

On my first trip to Bangkok in '02 I took one of the 50bt tuk-tuk tours the guide books warn you against. After visiting a couple of minor temples I was given the gold shop - tailor shop part of the tour where I completely cheesed everyone off by refusing to buy anything.

He even left me sitting in the back while he went to the 'toilet' for half an hour hoping I would give up and find another way home but I just sat there and read my book until he gave in and took me back to where he had picked me up. And what a ride it was.

Best 50 bt I ever spent. :)

On my first trip to Bangkok in '02 I took one of the 50bt tuk-tuk tours the guide books warn you against. After visiting a couple of minor temples I was given the gold shop - tailor shop part of the tour where I completely cheesed everyone off by refusing to buy anything.

He even left me sitting in the back while he went to the 'toilet' for half an hour hoping I would give up and find another way home but I just sat there and read my book until he gave in and took me back to where he had picked me up. And what a ride it was.

Best 50 bt I ever spent. :D

:)

The kind of guy you just love to send friends to.

There was this nutter in Khon Kaen (recently deported) who it was best to avoid like the plague. Walked around like the biker from the Village People. Opposite the Pullman hotel there's a tuk tuk rank and I don't know what the nutter had done (as those tuk tuk lads are fairly chill) but I drove out of the hotel car park one day and 3 of the tuk tuk guys were beating the living crap out of him. Having seen him in action around town it was most probably fully justified

Edited by mca

Young blokes on mototaxi's are getting a little cheekier around BKK, I ask to be taken to Nana from Chula Hosp, agree on a 40Bht fare, all in Thai no misunderstanding, he pulls up outside BigC.............when I ask <deleted>, he points to a small coffee shop called Nana.... "Oh, you mean Nana BTS, well that's 80Baht.....!" I just got off the bike, gave him his 40Bht for what was a 20 ride and walked.

Phuket Town, Wife and I hail a young guy to take us into town from Tesco area, price agreed at 60Bht, we arrive at Robinson's, hand over 70...keep the change "Oh, that was 60 Bht each..... " wife goes off!! I pay him, dinner was ruined!

Oz

The usual of taxi's refusing rides or not wanting the meter on. I don't get anoyed with that anymore.

One time i went back from bung sam ran with the taxi with my gf, a ride i had made many many times so i knew it would cost around 250 bt. The taxi turned on the meter and of we went, he rode the same way as all the other taxi's but once we got close to my home i noticed that the meter was much to high. I was going to complain a lot but my gf was affraid and said dont let him drop us off at our home but in front of the village and i will write his nr down and call it in. In the end the trip was 500bt, so the meter was rigged. This was the only time i ever saw a rigged meter. We never heard from our call TIT.

I don't think so. If he wanted 20B for gas he should have asked for just that. I can understand most Thai.

But instead he just holds out his hand, barking his demand. Also, I believe I did ask how much ("tao rai, kup?"), but he just kept saying "Money".

Well you were there and i was not so i take your word for it. But still bet others were asking him what's going on and thinking you were the nut job as the tuk tuk driver certainly did not tell them you refused his shakedown :)

Lot of reports nowadays on taxis refusing to turn on meter, maybe i had been lucky as i never encountered one in past 10 years or so i've been around. Several have refused to take me where i want to go or asking before i get to the car some outrageous fixed fare but only in front of "tourist spots" or during heavy rain in rush hour when they have the upper hand. So i kind of expect it and not an inconvenience anymore.

Once i was taken by taxi to Don Muang airport and noticed half way the meter was not on. Did not say anything until i reached the airport where i told the guy smiling that this ride seems to be free of charge as the meter shows "0". Driver was a older chap and obviosly just forgot as he said ok you pay me whatever you want. Gave him the usual fare and he was happy camper...

And this year i got two from Scampy with rigged meters inflating the distance travelled.

I always avoid taxi mafias hanging around hotels, pong, nana, cowboy, phuket or pattaya beaches... If you avoid even talking to these guys and flag your taxi from the street 95% of your problems will go away.

All in all i could say Bangkok taxis are ok, value for money and honest hard working cabbies but sure some bad apples exists.

I've had no problems that I can remember. Taxis usually turn on the meter, tuk tuk drivers usually try to negotiate an outrageous fare, mototaxis usually scare the shit out of me. But always friendly.

The cab driver in the video was quite a linguist, wasn't he? Greek, Polish, Italian....Ok, only hello etc, but an impressive array of languages, nonetheless! :)

Including Amharic, spoken mainly in Ethiopia.... :D

My taxi driver was awful. He chatted the whole time, was friendly! Then, dropped me off at the bus station next to where the porters were and got my luggage out of the car, then negotiated a fair price for me with the porters. dam_n. I probably shouldn't have tipped the thieving bastard.

My taxi driver was awful. He chatted the whole time, was friendly! Then, dropped me off at the bus station next to where the porters were and got my luggage out of the car, then negotiated a fair price for me with the porters. dam_n. I probably shouldn't have tipped the thieving bastard.

Your right people like you make our life in Thailand so much harder. :)

learned my lesson when visiting Bangkok. never take a taxi that is parked but one on the move that you flag down, that's the only way to get the meter price. walking out of soi cowboy they all approached me and I said Nana, speaking Thai, and they still asked for 200 baht. I politely refused and grabbed a taxi on the move, I think it was a 40 or 60 [cant remember] baht ride, while they were all yelling in thai, sorry, only 100 baht.

Edited by Lost in LOS

I love it when you try to bargain with a tuk-tuk driver, refuse his over-the-top fare, and begin to walk toward other drivers to continue negotiating with someone more reasonable. However, Mr. Rip-off runs ahead of you shouting in Thai to the other drivers to avoid you like the plague, and don't come down on their price from his original offer.

My response? I choose a friendly looking guy, and offer him 10 or 20 baht OVER the price asked by the first driver. I know, I lose my original goal of a good price, but oh, so satisfying to see the look on the first driver's face. It's worth the extra baht to derail a jerk like this guy who tries to short-circuit your right to bargain.

I had it go the opposite way one day recently. I was headed from near Pantip down to Soi 24 Sukhumvit...carrying stuff as we were moving into our condo. I hailed a taxi and at first he insisted on a set fee. I insisted on the meter. He relented. The ride would have been cheaper had I gone with his suggestion, rather than with the meter!

Recently i have on two occasions had taxi drivers that think taking the longer way on an expressway versus a shorter way with potentially a bit more traffic was benefiting me.

They do this to run up the meter on purpose cause they know that sitting at a light or two for a few minutes cannot make them nearly as much as 5 or 10 extra kilometers on an expressway.

I don't really care about the extra 50-70 baht, I do care about the dishonesty.

Sitting in traffic can be expensive as well. Used to travel daily from Rang Nam to Phantip. Less than 2 clicks so without traffic within the 35 baht flag fare. And my record is 220 baht for the trip :)

And yes i know, i could have walked in 15 mins or get a bike for 20 baht but just out of curiosity decided to see how long and how much it will take...

I love it when you try to bargain with a tuk-tuk driver, refuse his over-the-top fare, and begin to walk toward other drivers to continue negotiating with someone more reasonable. However, Mr. Rip-off runs ahead of you shouting in Thai to the other drivers to avoid you like the plague, and don't come down on their price from his original offer. My response? I choose a friendly looking guy, and offer him 10 or 20 baht OVER the price asked by the first driver. I know, I lose my original goal of a good price, but oh, so satisfying to see the look on the first driver's face. It's worth the extra baht to derail a jerk like this guy who tries to short-circuit your right to bargain.

I'd say that's a valid technique. I've done that before, myself.

But I mostly prefer to watch them wince at my low-ball offer first, then let them stew over it in the heat for a minute or two. Then maybe, just maybe, if they look contrite, I'll "return to the negotiating table" and eventually hammer out a deal. This is for longer rides, of course. Shorter ones are not such a bother.

But, oh, have I pissed off a few doing that...LOL. "Falung not supposed to be so tough", I can almost hear them thinking.

Gotta know how to handle these mahfa's. Never let them call the shots...

Recently i have on two occasions had taxi drivers that think taking the longer way on an expressway versus a shorter way with potentially a bit more traffic was benefiting me. They do this to run up the meter on purpose cause they know that sitting at a light or two for a few minutes cannot make them nearly as much as 5 or 10 extra kilometers on an expressway. I don't really care about the extra 50-70 baht, I do care about the dishonesty.

Yeah, and you get dinged for the expressway toll, as well. Happened to me in BKK a few months back. Found out later the destination could have been reached in a few minutes with a simple u-turn on Sukhumvit...

Gawd, I despise tuk-tuks and taxis here...

Well, I want to do a simple addendum to my initial post since it seems to have gotten truncated.

Basically what happened after we side-swiped the car, this idiot went into tunnel-vision mode, went around the two remaining cars, and, WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN NOR LOOKING TO HIS LEFT TO CHECK FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC, PROCEEDS TO INITIATE A RIGHT-TURN AND RIDES RIGHT OUT INTO A BUSY INTERSECTION AGAINST A RED LIGHT!! Had there been an oncoming truck, we would have both been history.

He then proceeds at an above-normal rate of speed, absolutely white-knuckled to the handlebars, and still in tunnel-vision mode, until we reach my destination.

To add a final insult to injury, he simply rides off without providing change, ignoring my cussing and yelling.

This was THE mototaxi ride from h--l, and I hope no one else ever has to experience anything similar.

There is obviously something wrong with many of you. Yes taxis are wreckless and we all get into near-accidents.

But after my first month here, 2 years ago i have never had a taxi not put his meter. The biggest screw i got from a motocycle taxi was about 15baht, but i have no idea of the real price of my ride so sometimes its 50 sometimes 70.. both price seem fair for the distance in my head.

There is definately something wrong with what you people are wearing(clothes, bargirlfriend, haircut, sandals with socks?) i dont speak much thai, i look like a young tourist and yet never get screwed? Tuktuks at panthip or other place, the next guy alawys takes me for a lower price.. really, you guys should look at yourself.

As far as highway goes.. nobody likes to sit at a redlight for 25mins, especialy the taxi driver. Expressawy is the way to go unless you are a teacher and completely broke.